PDA

View Full Version : "Concatenated relative pronoun"

Antonath
January 26th, 2011, 09:47
Anyone know what this means? It's a favourite term of one of my JTEs, and while I understand most of the english grammar we talk about, this particular one has me somewhat stumped.

The internet is no help, either. I've found concatenated relative clause, but not concatenated relative pronoun.

Jojo
January 26th, 2011, 13:08
concatenated simply means joined or connected..so i assume he is meaning things like (I am) = (I'm) etc..

he probably got concatenated from his denshi jisho :^_^:

Antonath
January 26th, 2011, 20:52
No, that's not it - it's definitely parts of sentences to do with who, that, etc (relative pronouns). I just haven't figured out what they're concatenated with.

Jojo
January 26th, 2011, 21:57
No, that's not it - it's definitely parts of sentences to do with who, that, etc (relative pronouns). I just haven't figured out what they're concatenated with.
that's, who's etc?

Antonath
January 28th, 2011, 09:13
More google-fu reveals the only reference to concatenated relative pronouns is this thread. I checked the clause version, and it's what I was after - my JTE is just using the wrong name :roll:

For example: "My parents bought me some books they think I should read", which in its non-whatevered form would be "My parents bought me some books that they think I should read".

Interestingly, most of the websites dealing with concatenated relative clauses are either Japanese or Korean. Looks like this is translation-grammar rather than native-grammar.