PDA

View Full Version : Interac Personal Interview?

cheezing
February 8th, 2011, 00:37
I've got my interview with Interac coming up shortly and was wondering if anyone with previous experience could shed some light into the personal interview for Interac. Just like any other job interview? Having not had much interview experience I'm not looking forward to it and any insight would be appreciated.

I'm not as worried for the short lesson demonstration as they give you plenty of preparation material for that.

Shankerbelle
February 8th, 2011, 01:26
It's a very relaxed interview. Not as daunting as the JET interview and it feels a lot less formal. (i.e. you sit on a sofa around a coffe table in oppose to the dragons den interview of JET) I felt at ease.

They will basically go through what you have said about yourself and want to know more about your goals and you. will you be able to cope, do you have enough money for start up costs etc etc. TBH that and the power Point Presentation are the most stress free parts imo.

cheezing
February 8th, 2011, 02:10
That's reassuring to hear. Going to do some preparation for some questions that I expect may come up. Still going to be dreading it on the day nontheless. First time I've applied for an ALT position so not sure what to expect.

privileged
February 8th, 2011, 06:36
Not sure if you have to do it from overseas but when I interviewed with them here in Japan you had to teach to imaginary students in front of a video camera, very painful.

But I was told about it up front so if you weren't warned perhaps you don't have to do it.

Shankerbelle
February 8th, 2011, 07:30
yeah cheezing mentioned that bit
I'm not as worried for the short lesson demonstration as they give you plenty of preparation material for that. so I didn't mention it. They give us A LOT of guidelines and advice for it, so it isn't that daunting. Last year I don't even think I looked at all the info (there was certainly a lot more attachments to this email than the last time I applied) so I have no idea how I made it through the video bit.

Kerensa
February 17th, 2011, 08:24
I just had my interview with Interac today. Despite it starting off horribly, it ended well.

I was sitting waiting for my phone call, and when it finally came was the time my phone decided not to let me answer my phone (I have a Droid 2). How embarrassing for me! I tried everything. Spamming buttons, pressing the on-off button. I was forced to sit and listen to my phone ring helplessly. And then the phone stopped ringing, and I had control of my phone again. I felt as though fate was being cruel! Haha.

Anyways, I was able to call the number back and speak to the recruiter (THANKFULLY). I explained the situation and he seemed understanding and we went right into our interview.

I passed the phone interview (he told me at the end of our phone interview) and said he wanted me to go to one of the seminars, which I, of course, agreed to. I'm so happy things worked out. Hah.

Shankerbelle
February 17th, 2011, 08:28
Congrats! After the phone drama, I'm glad it went well!

Do you know when the seminar date will be yet?

Minxie1418
February 17th, 2011, 10:12
I just had my interview with Interac today. Despite it starting off horribly, it ended well.

I was sitting waiting for my phone call, and when it finally came was the time my phone decided not to let me answer my phone (I have a Droid 2). How embarrassing for me! I tried everything. Spamming buttons, pressing the on-off button. I was forced to sit and listen to my phone ring helplessly. And then the phone stopped ringing, and I had control of my phone again. I felt as though fate was being cruel! Haha.

Anyways, I was able to call the number back and speak to the recruiter (THANKFULLY). I explained the situation and he seemed understanding and we went right into our interview.

I passed the phone interview (he told me at the end of our phone interview) and said he wanted me to go to one of the seminars, which I, of course, agreed to. I'm so happy things worked out. Hah.
Oh god, my phone interview is tomorrow and I have an awkward smart phone too... :lol: I'll just hope for the best.

So what kind of questions did he ask you?

Kerensa
February 17th, 2011, 10:35
Oh god, my phone interview is tomorrow and I have an awkward smart phone too... :lol: I'll just hope for the best.

So what kind of questions did he ask you?

He asked about my experience, how interac would help me with my possible future career goals, asked if I would be willing to get an international driver's license and that's about it. Oh, he asked if I had a preference over elementary or high school students, and where I would like to be placed in Japan.

I wouldn't be too worried. If you truly have a desire to go and teach in Japan, you'll be fine--as long as your personable. I mean, I was able to redeem myself after missing his phone call. :)

Kerensa
February 17th, 2011, 10:36
Congrats! After the phone drama, I'm glad it went well!

Do you know when the seminar date will be yet?

No. He just said to keep my Saturdays in April open. At least on the US side.

Minxie1418
February 17th, 2011, 10:43
He asked about my experience, how interac would help me with my possible future career goals, asked if I would be willing to get an international driver's license and that's about it. Oh, he asked if I had a preference over elementary or high school students, and where I would like to be placed in Japan.

I wouldn't be too worried. If you truly have a desire to go and teach in Japan, you'll be fine--as long as your personable. I mean, I was able to redeem myself after missing his phone call. :)
Okay - thanks. :)

Daddyatemyfries
February 17th, 2011, 10:55
@kerensa: Congrads!! And thats good news the seminars aren't until April!!
So um...alil curious, did you interview with Jason?

Minxie1418
February 18th, 2011, 04:15
I just had my phone interview and it went well - I got a seminar invitation. :) Second hurdle, cleared!
Here comes April... Lol that's the most unfortunate thing about these ALT application processes, the endless waiting. :lol:

Minxie1418
February 18th, 2011, 04:15
Edit: double post!

宇宙人侍
February 18th, 2011, 05:46
My phone interview is tomorrow! I'm excited. Do they ask any questions about the history/culture of Japan like they sometimes do in the JET interviews? Like what are the four main islands, or name a current japanese event etc. I was trying to keep up with Japanese news just in case but if all they ask are the general "why do you want to go to Japan" questions then I think I should be A ok.

Also, after this seminar do we know if they will offer us a job or is there yet another step after that?

Shankerbelle
February 18th, 2011, 06:12
If its anything like the UK one (which i believe it is) they will only really asking you about your app and why Japan more or less. They're probably checking you have vocal chords too im guessing.

Minxie1418
February 18th, 2011, 06:16
I was asked the "Why Japan?" question only. (I did happen to talk about about the history and culture in my answer)

I should've asked whether you get a job offer at the seminar or after when he asked if I had any other questions... You should ask about that if you can. :)

Tyr
February 18th, 2011, 07:30
hmm, I've heard nothing from them having applied. Dang.

Some stuff about seminars has appeared when I log in though. :s All of course are over.
Did others get emailed first?

Daddyatemyfries
February 18th, 2011, 07:36
Mine is in 2hours....OMFG freaking out XD
I can do this!! I must remember to breath haha

Shankerbelle
February 18th, 2011, 07:44
Seems like everyones telephone interviews are around the same time.

c'mon now, don't forget to breathe, YOU CAN DOOOOO IT!

PumpkinPie
February 18th, 2011, 07:44
Good luck and let us know how it went Daddyatemyfries, I'm sure you'll do well! Any information on the questions they asked or if they tried to trip you up would certainly be appreciated.

Daddyatemyfries
February 18th, 2011, 07:51
right-o!! I'll be back later♪

Kerensa
February 18th, 2011, 08:08
My interviewer seemed to basically tell me that if submit my paperwork for the visa and the visa information passes, I'm basically offered a position with Interac. I asked how long after the seminar would I know, and he told me that the seminar was basically a place for candidates to come together and figure out if it was something they even wanted to do, etc.

I'm curious about the acceptance rates for if you go to the seminar. As you know you have to conduct and pay for your own background check and obtain and pay for two passport sized photos. After paying all this money, and then paying for myself to get to the place of the seminar, could I still be turned down for an offer of employment?

I going to do it either way, but I'm curious if anyone has any experiences of their own about this.

Shankerbelle
February 18th, 2011, 08:31
My interviewer seemed to basically tell me that if submit my paperwork for the visa and the visa information passes, I'm basically offered a position with Interac. I asked how long after the seminar would I know, and he told me that the seminar was basically a place for candidates to come together and figure out if it was something they even wanted to do, etc.

I'm curious about the acceptance rates for if you go to the seminar. As you know you have to conduct and pay for your own background check and obtain and pay for two passport sized photos. After paying all this money, and then paying for myself to get to the place of the seminar, could I still be turned down for an offer of employment?

I going to do it either way, but I'm curious if anyone has any experiences of their own about this.

Ok, I'm a little confused. did you have the telephone interview and the face to face interview with recorded bits already?

In the UK seminars, you can still be turned down once you're done. There was someone who had been turned down before and reapplied.

I dont think anything is guaranteed until you get the email from Japan offering you a place. Even after they've have been in touch with your references and what not.

Kerensa
February 18th, 2011, 08:44
Ok, I'm a little confused. did you have the telephone interview and the face to face interview with recorded bits already?

In the UK seminars, you can still be turned down once you're done. There was someone who had been turned down before and reapplied.

I dont think anything is guaranteed until you get the email from Japan offering you a place. Even after they've have been in touch with your references and what not.

I have only had the phone interview, but everything what I said above is what was said.

Shankerbelle
February 18th, 2011, 09:05
I have only had the phone interview, but everything what I said above is what was said.

Ah cool. So you guys don't have to do the warm up, mock lesson, intro and reading on a cam as part of your assessment... Lucky buggers! >: |

Kerensa
February 18th, 2011, 09:06
Ah cool. So you guys don't have to do the warm up, mock lesson, intro and reading on a cam as part of your assessment... Lucky buggers! >: |

No, we have to have a mock lesson to do in front of a lovely video camera. But he seemed to make it sound as though it was pretty much done and done when I asked... I dunno.

Tyr
February 18th, 2011, 09:19
So...did you all get emails after submitting? How long did you wait?
Kinda funny that I got through to the second round of Jet but I'm the one being rejected from Interac. LOL. Oh well, its just a backup idea, fingers crossed for the real one...majorly.

Shankerbelle
February 18th, 2011, 09:23
No I got a Phone call about an hour after submitting the app online. Wait how do you know interac rejected you, if you only just submitted the online app? :S

Daddyatemyfries
February 18th, 2011, 09:37
yeah Tyr, usually interac will email u saying if u didn't pass the screening so wait n see?

Anyways just had my phone interview and gonna let this gif do the talking
http://i52.tinypic.com/2u9kger.gif

I interviewed with Jason. He sounded so dead and mellow...I felt like I wasn't impressing him at all, but I kept sounding *perky* and I made him chuckle a couple of times so yeah..if you guys get Jason...make him chuckle!! =D

I had a couple of questions that threw me off guard alil bit like
but from what I remember:

Would I be okay teaching a class by myself without a main JTE teacher?
What do I think makes a good ALT?
What I liked most about my experience in Japan?
What do I find different about the Japanese working lifestyle?(WTF?! I answered it, but damn I felt like I was stereotyping...I just said in Japan they work as a team, but in America even though we have "team work" we still maintain a sense of individuality. I know thats ESID cause my co-workers and I do team work and try to help one another but..oh forget it!!)
Why I like working with kids?
What experience I have with teaching?

Yeah thats it besides most of the questions thats already been posted.

Oh yeah: He also asked me if a couple of questions pertaining to my application confirming somethings I mentioned
B.A.?
Can speak basic Japanese?
Want to leave in the fall departure date?

Tyr
February 18th, 2011, 09:41
No I got a Phone call about an hour after submitting the app online. Wait how do you know interac rejected you, if you only just submitted the online app? :S
I submitted it a week or two ago.

人工知能
February 18th, 2011, 16:00

She told us at the seminar that it was probably about 75% from that point. And as long as your documents are in order and they are able to get responses from your references, you should know if you got a job in about 3 weeks.

Daddyatemyfries
February 19th, 2011, 04:55
Thats comforting!! 75% is waaaaaaaaaaay better than 50%!!

Minxie1418
February 19th, 2011, 05:27
Hey all, I was wondering... For those who 'passed' the phone interview, did you already get an e-mail about seminars and stuff? I haven't gotten anything yet but I got the impression I wouldn't until they'd checked my references first.
Has anyone gotten an e-mail since their phone interview?

Shankerbelle
February 19th, 2011, 05:44
I submitted it a week or two ago.

Strange. Providing you filled out the online form correctly, you will definitely be notified. If i were you, id go back in double check and resend. Even scout out contact details.

宇宙人侍
February 19th, 2011, 05:46
Had my phone interview today and it was easy :D. Im going to the Nashville seminar. As far as e-mails about the seminars, my guy said that the dates had not been set (for Nashville, atleast) but that I would get an e-mail when they were.

Tyr
February 19th, 2011, 06:34
Strange. Providing you filled out the online form correctly, you will definitely be notified. If i were you, id go back in double check and resend. Even scout out contact details.
How do you resend? The final page has vanished.

I'm worrying here something went wrong and they were meant to phone me about this seminar page. Seems weird I'd have it there with an option to apply if I wasn't invited.
Which is utterly balls as they're all passed <_<

Daddyatemyfries
February 19th, 2011, 07:02
Hey all, I was wondering... For those who 'passed' the phone interview, did you already get an e-mail about seminars and stuff? I haven't gotten anything yet but I got the impression I wouldn't until they'd checked my references first.
Has anyone gotten an e-mail since their phone interview?

Yes, I got my stuff in terms of the documents I need, but no I didn't get a list of semindar dates.
And my references said that interac has emailed them the check list too.

Shankerbelle
February 19th, 2011, 07:17
Yes, I got my stuff in terms of the documents I need, but no I didn't get a list of semindar dates.
And my references said that interac has emailed them the check list too.

They do this after the seminar and face to face interview (like the next day or so) in the UK.

(Just clarifying for any lurking Brits :))

EMTQueen
February 21st, 2011, 11:51
My phone screening is with Sarah Pennepacker on Tuesday afternoon. Anybody get her?

Tyr
February 21st, 2011, 22:13
OK, I've just randomly been rang by interac and had a phone interview unannounced... Scary. And lame.

Shankerbelle
February 21st, 2011, 22:27
LOL. Howd it go? Im sure you did better than you think!

Daddyatemyfries
February 22nd, 2011, 00:54
wow...sneaky attack!! Did they invite you to the seminar on the spot Tyr?
If not don't worry, sometimes they get back to people later on with the invite to the seminar.

Daddyatemyfries
February 22nd, 2011, 05:55
ugh...so I just noticed that my reference didn't fill out the whole reference check form http://www.tuzki-shrine.intellspire.net/images/sweat.gifShe made it all the way to a certain question and stopped replying(if you guys are wondering how I saw this, she did alert me today that she has submitted the form. We all use the same printer at work,so when I was looking for my documents I stumbled across my reference check seeing what she wrote about me)...I'm debating if I should approach her about it because the ones she didn't reply to I believe should not be left blank!! Nevermind..I'll do it....I don't have time to play around here....

Tyr
February 23rd, 2011, 01:13
Think it went OK, answered mostly the right stuff, just one or two slip ups. Not too worried about it anyway, the bar is supposedly low and I'm still hopeful for jet.

Shankerbelle
February 23rd, 2011, 01:36
ugh...so I just noticed that my reference didn't fill out the whole reference check form http://www.tuzki-shrine.intellspire.net/images/sweat.gifShe made it all the way to a certain question and stopped replying(if you guys are wondering how I saw this, she did alert me today that she has submitted the form. We all use the same printer at work,so when I was looking for my documents I stumbled across my reference check seeing what she wrote about me)...I'm debating if I should approach her about it because the ones she didn't reply to I believe should not be left blank!! Nevermind..I'll do it....I don't have time to play around here....

Maybe she only printed out part of it by mistake? Or even just hit the old print by mistake before she'd finished...?

Hope it all worked out :)

EMTQueen
February 23rd, 2011, 05:50
Just had my phone screening. It went well enough that I've been invited to a seminar in D.C. in either April or May. :D

Glandrid
February 23rd, 2011, 08:50
I noticed someone else said they asked about international drivers licenses. Does Interac require that you get one? Cause I'm pretty well not even licensed to drive here (despite the fact that I'm a fine driver, stupid drive test).

Jojo
February 23rd, 2011, 09:19
I noticed someone else said they asked about international drivers licenses. Does Interac require that you get one? Cause I'm pretty well not even licensed to drive here (despite the fact that I'm a fine driver, stupid drive test).
There are a mix of driving and non driving positions.. they prefer you to have a license so tehy dont have restrictions on where they can place you... I hope you can ride a bike real good :^_^:

Tyr
February 23rd, 2011, 10:07
You do need a license that's for sure.
Isn't an international license just a bit of paper which translates a home license?

I've a interview for Interac next month it turns out. Blimey. But damn they're demanding, so much to do. Have to try and find some people willing to be references (not at uni anymore so getting hold of some teachers to do it would be hard), might have to go back to the place I worked when I was a teenager, heh.
Also read a lot of bad things about interac...but oh well. I'll go through it all anyway, see what happens.

PumpkinPie
February 23rd, 2011, 10:41

I'm sure it might help, but I disagree you absolutely need one - I have two friends on Interac who bike or take the bus to their schools. I have also heard that some people are lucky enough to be within walking distance of their main school. I guess it just depends on placement.

Tyr
February 23rd, 2011, 10:46
I'm sure it might help, but I disagree you absolutely need one - I have two friends on Interac who bike or take the bus to their schools. I have also heard that some people are lucky enough to be within walking distance of their main school. I guess it just depends on placement.
Sorry, I meant if you plan on driving.

Daddyatemyfries
February 23rd, 2011, 11:23
Maybe she only printed out part of it by mistake? Or even just hit the old print by mistake before she'd finished...?

Hope it all worked out :)

I emailed her, so we shall see...*crossing my fingers*

Jojo
February 23rd, 2011, 11:49
Isn't an international license just a bit of paper which translates a home license?

I've a interview for Interac next month it turns out. Blimey. But damn they're demanding, so much to do. Have to try and find some people willing to be references (not at uni anymore so getting hold of some teachers to do it would be hard), might have to go back to the place I worked when I was a teenager, heh.
Also read a lot of bad things about interac...but oh well. I'll go through it all anyway, see what happens.
It is a pain but you have to go through the same hoops for any job overseas - a lot of it is for getting the visa...

MJN
March 10th, 2011, 00:38
Just had a phone interview with Interac, and got a rejection email within about 10 minutes of hanging up the phone.

I must have done something Majorly wrong, there.

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 00:40
Just had a phone interview with Interac, and got a rejection email within about 10 minutes of hanging up the phone.

I must have done something Majorly wrong, there.

If I may ask, could you go into detail what your conversation was about? =\ What questions did he ask and how did you answer them?

MJN
March 10th, 2011, 00:46
Questions were almost like a checklist of what I'd written in my initial online application, asking my Uni qualifications, work history, placement/teaching requests and the likes. That was followed by a "Why japan" question, which I responded with the business/cultural relations, careers prospects style answer.

It lasted maybe, 10 minutes or so, and seemed to go alright at the time, however apparently not.

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 00:54
There has to be something more than that... I dunno. I mean, I didn't even answer the phone when my phone interviewer called (I missed the call) and ended up calling him back and I was able to pull myself back into his good graces.

I made it past the phone interview and told me he wanted to invite me to Chicago for the personal interview. I recently got a job through a different school though, so I need to cancel my Interac interview in Chicago.

All I know is every person I know who works for Interac says that Interac is looking for high energy people who are happy/bubbly. My phone interview asked about my university study, if I had experience, where I wanted to be placed (everyone I've spoken to says to say "rural" for that question because it's difficult for them to get you into a bigger city at times). When they asked why Japan for me I answered with how I became interested in the country and how my interest and desire to learn more brought a Japanese language teacher to my school, so on and so forth. It was kind of long winded.

We talked about how I would feel being in the minority, as well. I responded that here in America I am used to being in the majority so it would definately be a change from what I am used to; but at the same time I felt it would make for one heck of a learning experience.

Sorry for the long response...

MJN
March 10th, 2011, 01:11
There has to be something more than that... I dunno. I mean, I didn't even answer the phone when my phone interviewer called (I missed the call) and ended up calling him back and I was able to pull myself back into his good graces.

Same thing happened to me. Missed the call while I was at university, didn't noticed I had it until the next day [Today] and called back.

It honestly felt like the phone interview went alright, she sounded happy, I was being happy/agreeable/reasonable and whatnot.

Don't know what happened. Was funny I got the rejection email almost instantly, though. I'm guessing I said something majorly wrong at some point, but I can't think what.

PumpkinPie
March 10th, 2011, 02:58
Don't feel too bad MJN - my phone interview was going extremely well until I mentioned that I wouldn't really be comfortable driving. I told them I was used to walking 5-6 miles a day and familiar with public transport but it ended abruptly after - I got a rejection email pretty quickly. I found it kind of surprising because I didn't think driving was a requirement. I mean I know it helps in certain areas, but I guess they only have spots open in areas where there is no public transport.

Daddyatemyfries
March 10th, 2011, 03:07
@MJN: Sorry about that=\
maybe Interac already met their quota but still had to conduct phone interviews regardless as a standard business practice. Some business are like that already =/.
Did you answer the placement request as in you already had a set location in mind, or did you just respond with "anywhere"?
My recruiter did seem gung ho on "rural" placements like Kerensa pointed out, and he just asked me some "wtf I didn't prepare for that" type of questions.
Now when I think back about it..I'am surprised that I kept my calm/bubbly the whole time because my recruiter was really playing the bad cop!!
..I should play oblivious more often...

uthinkimlost?
March 10th, 2011, 03:08
People that can drive are probably more flexible in terms of placement. You can put a driver in a situation where they don't have to drive and they're fine. If you put a nondriver in a situation where they need to drive they're screwed.

Tyr
March 10th, 2011, 03:11
I made it past the phone interview and told me he wanted to invite me to Chicago for the personal interview. I recently got a job through a different school though, so I need to cancel my Interac interview in Chicago.
Who's that?

Daddyatemyfries
March 10th, 2011, 03:13
^
yeah, what lost said=/
and yes kerensa, tell us about the new job! Is it in America or Japan?

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 04:09
Ah, that could do it. I didn't think it was a requirement, but I was so job hungry I would have done it. It's easy as pie to get an international license in America so I would have been comfortable enough getting it.

But I don't need Interac now. =\

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 04:16
^
yeah, what lost said=/
and yes kerensa, tell us about the new job! Is it in America or Japan?

It's in Japan. I pretty active on Dave's ESL Café applying to all available jobs that I met the requirements for. I also posted my resume on the site as well. A school contacted me and said they thought I was a good candidate for their school and if I was interested to send them my information, full resume and cover letter. I did just that.

A day or so after they said they'd like to schedule an interview and I offered Skype because I understood calling via the phone was very expensive. They loved that. The interview went great and then the CEO wanted to meet with me via Skype. We chatted a while, I answered more questions and after that they decided that they really liked me and sent me a sample contract for me to look over. Everything looked awesome so I told them everything was fine on my end with the contract.

We arranged another meeting with the CEO where he informed me that they had been going through a lot of applicants, but felt that in the end I suited the position the best and that they would love to offer me employment with them if I was still interested. Of course I was still interested!

All in all, the school is amazing (I think so, at least. Maybe I'm biased). The people I met through the school seem really cool too. They have a school blog the teachers can update about staff events (so I snooped around and read that), I read the school's goal (it was in Japanese, but I was able to make out the jist of it); and it just seems like a decent place to work.

Long story short, I move there next month. I've known about moving since mid-February. I just haven't spoken much about it yet lol.

MJN
March 10th, 2011, 04:37
Did you answer the placement request as in you already had a set location in mind, or did you just respond with "anywhere"?

I said I didn't have a specific placement request, but if possible I'd prefer a rural placement. Also said I was fine with driving.

But, oh well, can't really help it now. I'm curious where I went wrong, but I suppose I can't really find out.

Daddyatemyfries
March 10th, 2011, 05:49
@MJN: hmm...this is a mind boggler.

@Kerensa:Congrads!! ever since this whole JET fiasco, I'am starting to realize life does give you what you need and not what you want. Perhaps I should get on board that site too and see what I can get. But so far I really want to get into PKC...I have an interview with them on Saturday, so I'am crossing my fingers that I make the cut =X

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 06:49

@Kerensa:Congrads!! ever since this whole JET fiasco, I'am starting to realize life does give you what you need and not what you want. Perhaps I should get on board that site too and see what I can get. But so far I really want to get into PKC...I have an interview with them on Saturday, so I'am crossing my fingers that I make the cut =X

Thanks. I'll be living on Kyushu! :D I'll probably update more information about my job (specifics) when I get there. I'm superstitious like that. So what is PKC? I hope you get it. :)

Anyways, Dave's ESL Café is awesome and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a job abroad. :)

MJN
March 10th, 2011, 07:08
Guess I should be looking at other language schools or something now :p

Tyr
March 10th, 2011, 07:27

Wow, cool, I never even got a reply from them.

Daddyatemyfries
March 10th, 2011, 07:42
@Kerensa: wow, kyushu...my ideal placement would be in Fukouka...I like the kyushu region so much ><. Keep us posted and goodluck!! And PKC=Peppy Kids Club is a chain eikaiwa.
@Tyr: When did you apply? Maybe your branch office is slow, but I heard from someone who used to work there that they are pretty desperate for people right now! So I'am riding on that desperation bandwagon as much as possible!!

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 08:45
@Kerensa: wow, kyushu...my ideal placement would be in Fukouka...I like the kyushu region so much ><. Keep us posted and goodluck!! And PKC=Peppy Kids Club is a chain eikaiwa.
@Tyr: When did you apply? Maybe your branch office is slow, but I heard from someone who used to work there that they are pretty desperate for people right now! So I'am riding on that desperation bandwagon as much as possible!!

I just looked into the PKC and it looks awesome! I really hope you get it. It looks like a lot of fun and a great opportunity. I'll be located in Kumamoto, which is still an awesome place. :)

Miss_igirisu
March 10th, 2011, 10:10
I've not read any of this thread.

Is anyone coming to mie?

Oh and I've never known a peppy kids club person last a whole year. Take that for what you will.

Kerensa
March 10th, 2011, 12:48
I said I didn't have a specific placement request, but if possible I'd prefer a rural placement. Also said I was fine with driving.

But, oh well, can't really help it now. I'm curious where I went wrong, but I suppose I can't really find out.

Yeah when he asked where I'd like to be placed I said, "When I applied it said you needed people for rural placing and that worked perfectly for me because that's exactly what I want. I feel that the best way to be a part of Japanese culture is to be placed in those rural settings. Of course, if there are openings in suburban areas, I wouldn't be against it, but I'd love a rural placing."

Were you really energetic over the phone? Tried to sound as though you were full of energy? Happy? Etc.

Scissors
March 10th, 2011, 17:30

Are you flying out to LA for the interview? :) I'm interesting in applying for PKC, and I just emailed the LA office with some questions today. I think I might have to apply through Toronto though, if possible, because it's closer. From what I've read, PKC seems great! Good luck!

n107
March 10th, 2011, 19:33
That was followed by a "Why japan" question, which I responded with the business/cultural relations, careers prospects style answer.

What exactly is the "business/cultural relations, careers prospect style answer"?

Daddyatemyfries
March 11th, 2011, 02:31
@Kerensa: THANKS!!

@Miss: yeah, some ex-employee made a site about them back in the day speaking of the *atrocities* of that company. The only complaints I've recently heard from current PKC employees, is some people don't like commuting to their job location for an hour,but I grew up in that kind of lifestyle so its nothing new to me. But thanks for the warning

@Scissors: Yes I am. After reading stuff online, I think its best you go to TO. This one chic who recently did it through there didn't even have to do a demo or anything. They basically hired her over the phone, but she just needed to come in to fill out the paperwork. Everyone in TO seems to interview with Donna, so Donna seems like the shoe in interviewer. And thanks, I hope I kick butt too...
I never really heard of people failing the PKC interview, but when they did it was in

Miss_igirisu
March 11th, 2011, 08:07
There is one PKC worker here in my town and I used to be friends with the person here when I first got here. Her main complaints were not about the commute- she got a lot of Japanese down thanks to all the trains and stuff- but she said that it was tough only having babies to "speak" to every day, and since she was on her own in this small city, there weren't any other people with the same schedule as her (PKC and eikaiwa people usually work lunchtime- evening, ALTs work early morning- 4pm) so she couldn't socialise with anyone. She cracked within the year. The next one got a Japanese boyfriend so she lasted a little longer but I saw her job up on gaijinpot the other day so...

Daddyatemyfries
March 11th, 2011, 16:16
mentally prepared!!
http://i.imgur.com/vBKIz.gif

MJN
March 12th, 2011, 05:31
@Miss: yeah, some ex-employee made a site about them back in the day speaking of the *atrocities* of that company. The only complaints I've recently heard from current PKC employees, is some people don't like commuting to their job location for an hour,but I grew up in that kind of lifestyle so its nothing new to me. But thanks for the warning

Yea, Just read an interesting thread on Gaijin Pot about PKC from ~2009, mentioning the site I think you might be referring to.

In seriousness, though, I've heard a mixed bag of praise and complaint about PKC - are there any more acreditable opinions on the company than one man's ranting on an internet forum?

EMTQueen
March 12th, 2011, 10:21
Just had my ECC interview today (in TO). I think (hope) it went pretty well. No surprises since I had researched on what the hiring session was going to be like. The grammar test was a stumper at parts, but nothing too horrible. The personal interview was way better than I thought. Very short and none of those stupid typical interview questions.

earth
March 13th, 2011, 01:38
i wonder if interac and JET will still even be hiring people due to the tsunami diaster

Tyr
March 13th, 2011, 03:02
They'll still be hiring people for sure. Things will be weird in the majorly affected areas but in most of the country it'll be back to business as usual (with the occasional minute's silence) within a month or so.
Though I have my interac interview next week...that's going to be weird. Having to be enthusiastic about Japan right now...

Kerensa
March 18th, 2011, 05:16
Someone asked about the seminars... This is what I received just now in the email. I don't know if it changes from person to person:

SEMINAR DETAILS:

Date: April 23, 2011
1910 W. Irving Park Road
Chicago, IL 60613

Time: 9:00 AM

They also included this bit of information: "You should feel good to know that only 25% of the total number of applicants make it to the interview stage."

So if you didn't get through, it seems the amount they interview is not that great.

Kapparin
March 18th, 2011, 15:45
Wow, thanks for sharing. I haven't gotten any information yet so we'll see I guess if they split it up into multiple seminars for Chicago or not.

n107
March 23rd, 2011, 20:56
What exactly is the "business/cultural relations, careers prospect style answer"?

I'd still like to know.

Kapparin
March 24th, 2011, 02:37
I got word back from the Interac office about the Chicago seminar. There will be more than one and they are being pushed back by two weeks due to the earthquake and all their office has to deal with.

Minxie1418
March 24th, 2011, 05:28
I got an e-mail back a few days ago saying the same thing about the earthquake/tsunami disaster delaying things. Also, they are hoping to send out official invitations for the seminars this week.

EMTQueen
March 25th, 2011, 10:33
D.C. seminar dates just came out. April 16th.

人工知能
March 25th, 2011, 22:18
The August hiring might not be so big. I think about 60-70 people deferred till fall.

Minxie1418
March 26th, 2011, 05:25
I just received my D.C. seminar invitation! April 30th at Embassy Suites Crystal City. Maybe I'll see some of you there. :)

Kapparin
March 26th, 2011, 07:17
Just received my Chicago invitation as well, but had to change to a different date because it fell on my graduation date! haha. I'll be at the May 21st seminar instead.

Minxie1418
March 28th, 2011, 23:33
Can anyone who's been to an Interac seminar before tell me how long they last? I'm trying to figure out if I'd be able to do mine and be back in time to cover an afternoon shift at work. Otherwise my coworker will have to work all day without a break covering for me. :(

Shankerbelle
March 29th, 2011, 00:48
Can anyone who's been to an Interac seminar before tell me how long they last? I'm trying to figure out if I'd be able to do mine and be back in time to cover an afternoon shift at work. Otherwise my coworker will have to work all day without a break covering for me. :(

Highly unlikely. The morning section (A presentation and the mass "why japan" question) runs from 10.30 - 1.00ish then interviews are scheduled after that. I had a 3:20 coach to catch so I was the 2nd to be interviewed and I got out at 3:00. Some (those who drove) didn't have their interview scheduled until around 5 or 6.

EDIT: This is for the UK, but I'm pretty sure it's more or less an all day event everywhere else.

Minxie1418
March 29th, 2011, 01:31
Highly unlikely. The morning section (A presentation and the mass "why japan" question) runs from 10.30 - 1.00ish then interviews are scheduled after that. I had a 3:20 coach to catch so I was the 2nd to be interviewed and I got out at 3:00. Some (those who drove) didn't have their interview scheduled until around 5 or 6.

EDIT: This is for the UK, but I'm pretty sure it's more or less an all day event everywhere else.
I thought so - thanks for the response!

oneokbunny
March 31st, 2011, 04:03
Got my date for San Francisco! Though they moved the hotel to San Mateo now! ^^

What option are people thinking of going with for the taped lesson?

Minxie1418
March 31st, 2011, 04:21
Got my date for San Francisco! Though they moved the hotel to San Mateo now! ^^

What option are people thinking of going with for the taped lesson?
I think I'm going for option 1. I want to try the seemingly simplest one since I have no teaching experience. :)

I hope the amount of Japanese I use in the introduction part is okay. I'm planning to basically just say the usual "Hello, my name is...., I'm 23 years old, I come from Virginia, pleased to meet you" and then transition to English when I say why I want to become an ALT. I'm not confident enough in my Japanese skills to say anything more beyond that greeting. :redface:

oneokbunny
March 31st, 2011, 05:44
That's why i'm leaning towards option 1 myself... though trying to brainstorm ideas for the lesson i can't get my mind away from the demo lesson lol

I was wondering about the self intro too. How much Japanese to use and what not. In all the years of Japanese I've taken and all the self intros I had to do for class I still don't have a good idea what to say about myself lol

I wouldn't be worried about your Japanese skills just make sure you practice enough so when you're standing there nervous you'll still be able to remember what it was you wanted to say and it'll flow more naturally.

Jamgirl
April 1st, 2011, 00:37
Minx your seminar date is August 30? So when will you be schedule to leave? i thought all interviews ended in May

Minxie1418
April 1st, 2011, 00:53
Minx your seminar date is August 30? So when will you be schedule to leave? i thought all interviews ended in May
Lol oops, I didn't realize I'd typed the wrong month all this time. No, mine is April 30. Sorry if I confused anyone!

cjlowe5532
April 1st, 2011, 02:14
I'm headed down to Houston on the 16th of April for an Interact Interview. Anyone else?

Tyr
April 2nd, 2011, 21:12
Got a email back from them, I didn' get in.
Which is unsurprising, ballsed the demo.

Not too bothered though. Was unsure about whether I'd want to do interac, it was just nice to still have a japan option if jet turns out to be a no....though it does make me more anxious over the jet results.

Shankerbelle
April 4th, 2011, 23:17
Got a email back from them, I didn' get in.
Which is unsurprising, ballsed the demo.

Not too bothered though. Was unsure about whether I'd want to do interac, it was just nice to still have a japan option if jet turns out to be a no....though it does make me more anxious over the jet results.

How did you balls the demo? What went wrong?

Tyr
April 5th, 2011, 06:16
Was expecting to do something where I could riff off interviewers (was expecting the whole thing to be more of a jet style interview), not just stand in front of a camera and do stuff. My activity though it would work as a school activity was naff for demonstrating and then I couldn't use my nicely prepared work sheet for the 3rd one but had to quickly scribble (very badly indeed) on a flipchart and...then I just said wrong things and....argh. It was a disaster.

Shankerbelle
April 5th, 2011, 16:45
Erm... I see. Maybe you didn't get/read the email.

Message to those invited to the Seminar and interview. Read the email they send you, they LITERALLY tell you what to do and give you a link to videos that SHOW you what to do. Also talk to others at the seminar you'll get an idea of whether your on the right track.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Tyr
April 5th, 2011, 21:19
I read the email fully.
Couldn't get the videos working until the day before the interview.
Which was a bad thing as it made my idea a copy.
Talking to others at the seminar was a bit too late to really go off and redesign things.
Fuck interac anyway, as said I was unsure about whether I would actually have taken a position with them if I got it. It all seems like too much of a year out, something which was off putting for me for jet yet alone the much lower pay and worse conditions of interac.
Just got to hope things stop going wrong elsewhere.

Shankerbelle
April 5th, 2011, 21:56
If I remember correctly, you were the person who asked for any cheats, a couple of posts after some one posted the instructional videos in the other interact thread...

The only point of note in your last statement, is that you weren't interested in working for interac in the first place. That leads me to believe you didn't bother to do what was outlined to make you successful. It's neither here nor there as you weren't keen on it in the first place.

Anyhoo heres hoping your luck picks up.

cjlowe5532
April 5th, 2011, 22:05
Any of you remember what was on the grammar test?

Shankerbelle
April 5th, 2011, 22:25
Any of you remember what was on the grammar test?

This is from the top of my head so I may have forgotten something...
Ok so the 5 min grammar test. (more like the "however long you have to wait till your interview slot test")

Spelling: A list of 20 or so words like "business"/"bussiness" and "Concience"/"Conscience" that you have to say whether they are right or wrong. for wrong words you need to write the correct spelling in the space provided, and for correct work you need to simply tick.

verbs/adverbs and the like: around 10 short sentences, such as "James, Sally and me went to the park" / "James, Sally and I went to the park" you have to simply pick out what sounds strange and correct it.

Short paragraph reading: The one i had this year was EXACTLY the same as last years.... It is about natural resources or science or something along those lines. However thats not important. what IS important is the fact there is NO punctuation whatsoever, just a bunch of lowercase words in one looooong run on sentence.

cjlowe5532
April 6th, 2011, 04:04
So you basically rewrite the final paragraph with punctuation?

I'm only really worried about the spelling section. Anymore examples of possible words on that section?

Shankerbelle
April 6th, 2011, 05:42
No you don't rewrite it, you just make the corrections in line on the same page.

I really can't remember any more words, but basically any word that makes you think "fuck, how do I spell that again!?" is gonna be on there... they're all everyday words, nothing obscure if that's what your thinking. Seriously its pretty straight forward. Plus if its anything like mine everyone will be in the room discussing it anyway. Is say don't worry about it and focus on the interview demo bit.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

cjlowe5532
April 6th, 2011, 07:16
Thanks for the info. Did you apply for interac last year as well? I ask because you recognized part of the test from before. Were you not accepted? If so please explain why so that I may learn from your mistakes.

oneokbunny
April 6th, 2011, 07:24
Thanks for the info! I'm worried about the grammar test since i've been studying Japanese grammar for a while now so a little rusty on my native language's grammar lol ^^

Was the spelling section done in a way that you choose between two spellings of a word or did the word come up again misspelled?

ok! off to keep practicing the video demo!

What is anyone thinking about the warm-up activity?

Shankerbelle
April 6th, 2011, 07:49
Thanks for the info. Did you apply for interac last year as well? I ask because you recognized part of the test from before. Were you not accepted? If so please explain why so that I may learn from your mistakes.

I applied in Oct 09, got offered a place in Dec 09, then an interview with JET in Jan 10. I thought the interview went really well with JET so I declined the offer with interac. (at the time I didn't know i could simply defer entry to August instead of departing in March/April/declining altogether) when April swung round, I became a JET alternate then kicked myself for turning down interac.

Another major tip is to bring props and any other useful visual material for your demo. They seem to like that.

Shankerbelle
April 6th, 2011, 08:15
Thanks for the info! I'm worried about the grammar test since i've been studying Japanese grammar for a while now so a little rusty on my native language's grammar lol ^^

Was the spelling section done in a way that you choose between two spellings of a word or did the word come up again misspelled?

ok! off to keep practicing the video demo!

What is anyone thinking about the warm-up activity?

The spelling section was excel spreadsheet styleee, a word in a box with a blank box next to it for the corrections/ticks yadda yadda. It's harder than the choosing between two words style. I'm pretty sure I fucked mine up if I'm honest...

General advice for the warm up activity, don't freak out about being unique. pick something easy and interactive. I did "Sindy Sensei Says" but at least 5 people did head, shoulders, knees and toes which was what they used on the demo vids they emailed us.

Unfortunately no one did this version... YouTube - K.I.G. - Head, Shoulders, Kneez & Toez - Out Now!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHClIHgnRI) :'(

oneokbunny
April 6th, 2011, 09:09
LOL a reinvention of a classic!

I was thinking of doing "Bunny Says" but talked with a friend in JET asking if they thought it would be a little advanced for 3rd years. Yeah when thinking of a song or activity head shoulders knees and toes was the first think that came to mind.

I've been recording practice for my interview so i can see how it looks or how long it is. Good thing lol I put on the white blouse i was going to wear and it seems really see through on video >_<

Speaking of that... What did my fellow female interviewees wear or are planning to wear?

cjlowe5532
April 6th, 2011, 11:25
I applied in Oct 09, got offered a place in Dec 09, then an interview with JET in Jan 10. I thought the interview went really well with JET so I declined the offer with interac. (at the time I didn't know i could simply defer entry to August instead of departing in March/April/declining altogether) when April swung round, I became a JET alternate then kicked myself for turning down interac.

Another major tip is to bring props and any other useful visual material for your demo. They seem to like that.

Yeah, that is an unfortunate series of events if I have ever saw one.

I plan on singing for my warm up, hear that is the golden ticket. Other then that I don't think they left us much space to be unique on part 4.

Jamgirl
April 6th, 2011, 13:33
So i heard from a friend who's in japan with interac that they are actually understaffed for April recruit due to many persons deferring. Not sure if that will mean earlier recruitment for fall but i guess we'll see how it goes

Sirrus
April 6th, 2011, 22:58
General advice for the warm up activity, don't freak out about being unique. pick something easy and interactive. I did "Sindy Sensei Says" but at least 5 people did head, shoulders, knees and toes which was what they used on the demo vids they emailed us.

Unfortunately no one did this version... YouTube - K.I.G. - Head, Shoulders, Kneez & Toez - Out Now!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHClIHgnRI) :'(

I interviewed back in 2009 in Cleveland.
I have a bit of a stoic personality so I tried keeping my demo simple with pictures of various things infront of different color backgrounds. I described situations with the specified object I held up to teach my lesson. The area I noticed I was lacking in was my communication skills since I botched my introduction I think infront of the camera. Got nervous and made some mistakes with my Japanese. That and I apparantly had trouble maintaining a smile or atleast a genki smile as the interviewer was signalling me to do more of it at times during the demo.

heyjl313
April 7th, 2011, 07:24
I'm headed down to Houston on the 16th of April for an Interact Interview. Anyone else?

Yes! I'm heading to the Houston Interview as well! How is your preparation coming along? I'm still ironing out the option 4 part of the demo lesson....

heyjl313
April 7th, 2011, 07:34
oneokbunny, i came across your youtube vids about the whole application process, lol, it's like we went through almost the same stuff and got asked the same questions so far!

Shankerbelle
April 7th, 2011, 08:22
oneokbunny, i came across your youtube vids about the whole application process, lol, it's like we went through almost the same stuff and got asked the same questions so far!

Oh snap! I saw those too. how did I not make the connection!

Jojo
April 7th, 2011, 11:21
So i heard from a friend who's in japan with interac that they are actually understaffed for April recruit due to many persons deferring. Not sure if that will mean earlier recruitment for fall but i guess we'll see how it goes
This is true.. what effect it will have on fall though...

cjlowe5532
April 7th, 2011, 11:43
I have not started working on part four yet. It's nice that I found someone coming to the same seminar before hand. What are you doing for the warm up?

I heard that their will be 9 people there with us. I just wish Houston was not 13 hours away from where I live.

oneokbunny
April 7th, 2011, 12:23
Yup those are my videos! ^^ Hope they could be of help for someone out there.

I was wondering too about the future of interac with the disasters. Meaning how many teachers pulled out. Hearing that there were a number of people who put off going until the fall intake worries me a bit. I was thinking I might ask the recruiter who will be at the SF seminar about it when she calls me this week or next about it but... not sure if that would look bad ^^;;

heyjl313
April 8th, 2011, 00:00
Yeah, that's a long drive from Arkansas...! I'm singing a little song about the days of the week for the warm-up part, not sure how that will fly with them, but oh well, we'll see haha... Are you bringing props? I heard they give you gravy points if they see you with props in the demo lesson

Shankerbelle
April 8th, 2011, 00:23
Take props. Even if its crap you drew on a sticky note, make em and take em.

As so many have deferred to fall intakes, they are trying to get everyone who has passed the seminar/interview to leave now, by bribing them with deals that rival JET folks. Being a cheapskate, I might end up going A LOT sooner than I had planned....

Shankerbelle
April 8th, 2011, 00:24
*achoo*

oneokbunny
April 8th, 2011, 02:13
Just got an email from the SF recruiter.... says the same thing we've heard all along except that the lesson demos will be in front of your peers and they will act as the students.

anyone hear about this going on at the other sites?

cjlowe5532
April 8th, 2011, 03:51
Yeah, that's a long drive from Arkansas...! I'm singing a little song about the days of the week for the warm-up part, not sure how that will fly with them, but oh well, we'll see haha... Are you bringing props? I heard they give you gravy points if they see you with props in the demo lesson

I'm doing the exact same thing for the warm up. Hopefully our toons will be different.

Yeah I got a poster board to bring. I don't know how you would get away with part four without one unless you do option 3. I feel unoriginal with my part 4 because you have to basically fallow the example we were given or else I don't see why we were given options.

cjlowe5532
April 8th, 2011, 03:55
Take props. Even if its crap you drew on a sticky note, make em and take em.

As so many have deferred to fall intakes, they are trying to get everyone who has passed the seminar/interview to leave now, by bribing them with deals that rival JET folks. Being a cheapskate, I might end up going A LOT sooner than I had planned....

While I would love to trade places with you, I still have to graduate in May. Something holding you back at home?

Shankerbelle
April 8th, 2011, 09:34
While I would love to trade places with you, I still have to graduate in May. Something holding you back at home?

Nope, no ties. Just some social shit I hoped to do before I go, birthdays, gigs and what not. Chances are I'll take them up on their offer though.

Jamgirl
April 8th, 2011, 11:44
I wudnt mind leaving early. so tired of my work place. but they still haven't announced the date for the Caribbean seminar :( ....has anyone heard about the 7.1 aftershock today? dont know if that will trigger panic for those who already deferred. either way I'm ready!! Sinderella do you have any idea what they're offering? i hope its covering the plan fare.

heyjl313
April 8th, 2011, 12:14
I'm doing the exact same thing for the warm up. Hopefully our toons will be different.

Yeah I got a poster board to bring. I don't know how you would get away with part four without one unless you do option 3. I feel unoriginal with my part 4 because you have to basically fallow the example we were given or else I
don't see why we were given options.

Haha, yeah, let's hope the tune is different... I think I might end up doing option 3 after all, except I might do it a little differently than the dude in the example video. Or are we supposed to follow that example like you said... anyone have any ideas??

Not looking forward to doing the lesson in front of everyone, but oh well, maybe everyone can convince each other to not pay attention when someone's giving the demo lesson!

Jamgirl
April 8th, 2011, 12:59
Think i might be doing option three as well. Not sure how im gonna present it. Don't want it to be like the video

cjlowe5532
April 8th, 2011, 14:22
Doing option two myself. I guess I just like to give directions. I'm pretty much going to copy the video to the T. Know anyone else going to our seminar?

Yeah this would be a lot easier for all of us if we could communicate before the session. We could reason with each other enough to were we put our back-stabbing knifes down so that the Houston 9 can out shine the rest instead of taking out each other.

oneokbunny
April 8th, 2011, 15:06
The Houston 9? I like the sound of that wish I was taking part in that seminar.lol ^^

"The demo lessons are conducted before your peers, so don't completely script the lesson, as they will act as your class and offer feedback as appropriate."
It seems like we are going to encourage to act as the students while someone else does their demo. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I got the feeling when they say "For task 3 and 4, you do not need to conduct your lesson exactly the way the video shows. " they rather you didn't do it the way it was done in the example.

Since I'm planning to do option 1 I have an idea and everything but since in the email it said be prepared because they had no idea if they would have a white board or something to write on... I'm not sure about carrying around a poster board during the seminar but you can't get around it i guess....hmm

I really wish I can find at least one person going to the SF seminar too! T^T oh well

oneokbunny
April 8th, 2011, 17:02
I just noticed the latest job posting for Interac for people in Japan to move to the Northern Japan. They do list a few extra you'd get by signing up.

1. Signing bonus of \100,000 (paid with first salary)
2. Relocation cost up to \50,000
3. Accommodation assistance
-Key and deposit money up to \250,00

Anyways that's what I found

cjlowe5532
April 8th, 2011, 23:04
The Houston 9? I like the sound of that wish I was taking part in that seminar.lol ^^

"The demo lessons are conducted before your peers, so don't completely script the lesson, as they will act as your class and offer feedback as appropriate."
It seems like we are going to encourage to act as the students while someone else does their demo. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I got the feeling when they say "For task 3 and 4, you do not need to conduct your lesson exactly the way the video shows. " they rather you didn't do it the way it was done in the example.

Since I'm planning to do option 1 I have an idea and everything but since in the email it said be prepared because they had no idea if they would have a white board or something to write on... I'm not sure about carrying around a poster board during the seminar but you can't get around it i guess....hmm

I really wish I can find at least one person going to the SF seminar too! T^T oh well

Where did you get those quotes? Did you ask them about this or did you get a different e-mail packet than I did?

Shankerbelle
April 8th, 2011, 23:28
What bunny has shown is correct. If you navigate to vacncies on the interac page, you will see them there.

It's also a part of what I've been offered to leave early :)

I'm guessing those offered a spot after tje April seminars will be asked to take up that op to get out there earlier.

oneokbunny
April 9th, 2011, 01:57
Those quotes are from the email I got from the recruiter who will be running the SF seminar. From an email that runs through again what we'll need to do as well as asking up to confirm again we will be there.

Jamgirl
April 9th, 2011, 15:14
How soon are u expected to leave sinderella? damn, they still havent announced the dates for the caribbean seminar :(

Jojo
April 9th, 2011, 21:53
I just noticed the latest job posting for Interac for people in Japan to move to the Northern Japan. They do list a few extra you'd get by signing up.

1. Signing bonus of \100,000 (paid with first salary)
2. Relocation cost up to \50,000
3. Accommodation assistance
-Key and deposit money up to \250,00

Anyways that's what I found
ughh :roll: typical ..new recruits get that and re contractors get a thank you email

heyjl313
April 11th, 2011, 14:02
Question for everyone here... Does everyone have experience working with children

Miss_igirisu
April 11th, 2011, 19:33
If you want to do the job then I'd never say what you just said again. Ask to go to a high school and you'll be fine

cjlowe5532
April 13th, 2011, 12:12
Heyjl313@ Did you get a conformation call tonight? I don't know what it is but every time I speak with someone from interac on the phone my mind goes blank and i have nothing to say. The recruiter sounds kind so that puts part of my mind to rest. Still having second thoughts?

Jojo
April 13th, 2011, 22:16
Question for everyone here... Does everyone have experience working with children
no many don't - they primarily want people who are able to interact well with a wide variety of people who are of different ages and backgrounds - demonstrating you have that experience is what will help get you in... saying that you like kids will also help :)

amz_harajuku
April 14th, 2011, 03:08
Sinderella have you been advised of ur placement as yet? I was offered an immediate position too but I don't wanna be placed in an affected area (the email said that you would be but away from the nuclear plant) although the bonus and roundtrip airfare is a good deal.

Jamgirl email Jason and tell him that you are interested in going with the immediate batch and he'll advise you on what to do (I'm from Jamaica as well and he has kept in regular contact with me)

Jamgirl
April 14th, 2011, 03:24
OMG! When will u be leaving? Amz. What kinda details did he ask for. I just sent off my status letter 2day lol. Gonna email him now

amz_harajuku
April 14th, 2011, 03:53
Well I haven't given him an answer yet .... Ideally I wanna start in September as my best friend's wedding is in June and she'd kill me if i didn't make it lol so idk ..... but since u wanna leave now it would be good for you esp with the bonus and all ..... so lemme know how it goes

Shankerbelle
April 14th, 2011, 19:00
Sinderella have you been advised of ur placement as yet? I was offered an immediate position too but I don't wanna be placed in an affected area (the email said that you would be but away from the nuclear plant) although the bonus and roundtrip airfare is a good deal.

Yes and no. I know when I'm going, but placement is at 80% confirmed at the moment so...
They said in the interview, that folks who are called to go early don't usually find out where they're being place until they land so I'm not expecting any miracles of having advanced notice, though it would be nice :D

Asfar as being given a placement that will enable you to hose down the nuclear plant, I think you can rest easy.

We will not be asking you to go to an area affected by the nuclear power plant, your position may be in the Northern part of Japan but we will certainly not be placing you in a dangerous area.

oneokbunny
April 16th, 2011, 09:58
Goodluck to anyone with a seminar tomorrow!!

Tomorrow should be a lot of fun!

Jamgirl
April 16th, 2011, 10:14
Okbunny will be leavin early for Japan?

oneokbunny
April 17th, 2011, 07:42
They actually are asking those at today's seminar if they would leave in June with a bonus. I thought about it and I really can't afford it since i'm counting on money earned between now and mid August.

Now it's waiting a few weeks to hear back from them. To those who have been there before us... when you heard from Tokyo that you have the job was it email or phone that they contacted you by?

Shankerbelle
April 17th, 2011, 07:53
I dunno if its the same for those in the states, but literally seconds after my phoned pinged with an email from Interac, they called me.

It wasn't Tokyo who called, it was the UK interviewer. I didn't hear from the folks in Tokyo until after I confirmed I was happy to take up a position with Interac. Then the next working day (I got the first email and call on a Friday) I had and email and phone call from recruitment team in Tokyo.

oneokbunny
April 17th, 2011, 09:12
Good to know! I'll have to set something up so if i get email from them it'll go to my phone lol I just hope when i get the email or phone call i won't be at work. Though work will be a distraction from waiting ^^

Is it three weeks yet? ^^;;;;

Oh! Actually this came to my attention today that Interac's ALTs are only about 29% female and being the only female at the interview and hear another story of being they only female I was wondering if this was a trend at the other recruitment sites as well.

Jamgirl
April 17th, 2011, 09:14
Lucky for u, I still don't know where I stand. No word on the seminar and no response via email yet! Waiting like this sux :(

february1088
April 20th, 2011, 05:34
Just went to my seminar!

So if I get an e-mail from them in a week, its a rejection e-mail and if I get one in three weeks, it's an acceptance one? I'm so anxious/nervous waiting for the damn email lol.

I think I was being slightly inflexible when they asked about "up to how many schools are you willing to teach" and I wrote down "3 or 4 max" . I also mentioned that I wanted high school/middle school and no elementary so that might also be a negative....

To the poster above, I know it sucks waiting but I think they give higher preference to US/UK than other country applicants so maybe that's why they're taking a long time.

oneokbunny
April 20th, 2011, 05:42
Where did you go for your seminar?

Where did you hear about getting a rejection email? I know they'll let you know either way but I thought it would all be in 3 weeks.

Which... three weeks from now is Golden week >_<

I think I was being slightly inflexible when they asked about "up to how many schools are you willing to teach" and I wrote down "3 or 4 max" . I also mentioned that I wanted high school/middle school and no elementary so that might also be a negative....

I'm not sure.... I felt the same way about saying 5 but the recruiter liked that because that means you'll spend more time at a school like say once a week instead of once a month. So your 3-4 isn't far off. As for saying no elementary that could be a negative because it might be harder to place you. though if they asked why no elementary and you said you hated little kids that might be a big negative lol

I believe it's really the video demo that they look at more then anything.

amz_harajuku
April 20th, 2011, 05:48
Just did my phone interview .... It went well apart from the fact that I missed the call the first time lol but she said that she was impressed so hopefully that turns out well .... not sure when the seminar is though

Shankerbelle
April 20th, 2011, 05:49
I'm pretty sure you find out at the same time whether you are accepted or not. They send everything off, and wait for a response from their Tokyo HO before they tell you anything. Like JET, they come back to you with a yes or no the same time as everyone else.
And you will be waiting 3 weeks, nothing will get to you sooner, unless it them saying you forgot something, or that your ref has gone AWOL.

amz_harajuku
April 20th, 2011, 05:49
What option did you choose for your video demo february1088?

oneokbunny
April 20th, 2011, 05:50
Just did my phone interview .... It went well apart from the fact that I missed the call the first time lol but she said that she was impressed so hopefully that turns out well .... not sure when the seminar is though

Congrats!! Did you get an invitation to the seminar at the end of the phone interview or will they get back to you?

amz_harajuku
April 20th, 2011, 06:06
Congrats!! Did you get an invitation to the seminar at the end of the phone interview or will they get back to you?

Thanks :) Well she didn't formally invite me to the seminar as I don't think dates have been set up for my region as yet but she did say that i'd hear from them soon so i'm keeping my fingers crossed

february1088
April 21st, 2011, 07:41
I went to the seminar in new york. There were only like 7 people there surprisngly

I think i heard the 1 week thing from my recruiter but my memory might be hazy...i think sindi is right tho, and im here this far thanks to her help :D
so she knows what she's talking about

I ended up doing task 1 because i felt like it was more simple than option 2 and it allowed much more imaginary interaction than option 3. They were right when they warned there might not be a whiteboard, i came with a presentation board so i was safe but some of the others told me they got a bit screwed by that.

Our seminar was at 9 00 but she started it earlier so they are not kidding when they want u to get there earlier

disguisedrobot
April 22nd, 2011, 02:22
Well, here I am, back from a years' of silence I return with the news I have just had an interview with Interac.

Pre-interview - My telephone interview completely took me by surprise. "Just to confirm some details" my ass! I was caught completely unawares when she started asking me interview like questions over the phone, things like why Japan, any preferences etc, the usual stuff. I felt unprepared and thought I could have done better. Surely I was a goner?! Well, I later received an invitation for the interview via email. I've managed to get to second base!

Interview date - It's 10am and I'm the first to rock up to the seminar in Oxford, led in by Maria's (one of the interviewers) son who looked super cute and rather dapper in his pin stripe suit with a power tie to complement it. It wasn't too long before I was joined by more people. I greeted them as they rolled in and they sat in silence. I broke the silence with my metaphorical hammer by introducing myself and made small talk with the other Interac hopefulls. In the next half an hour, the room filled to about 11 people and we got started with the seminar. We were joined by about 2-3 more who were late, one was in my opinion, really late.. More chairs had to be pilfered from the other offices and we were all squished into a meeting room. To cut what is already becoming a 3 volume long epic short, the presentation seemed somewhat rushed because there were a lot of people to make fools out of themselves with an imaginary class in front of them (demo lesson) and then being grilled (interview). To save time, we were given the interview questions and were asked to fill it out for them, along with the personality test and the spelling and grammar test. Pretty simple stuff really, but it took my hours to fill mine out because I was too busy distracting and being distracted by others. I like to talk alright?? Anyway, I did the demo lesson and then the interview. The interview itself was only a very short 10mins. I think I was only asked about 3-4 questions. At the end of it I was told she had got a good idea on what I was like earlier because she heard me interacting with the other folks. Possibly a good thing! But thinking back now it could also mean a bad thing. I didn't do or say anything bad so I can't think of any reason for it to work against me.

So, that's that. I'm sitting here on 3rd base, waiting for Interac to pitch another ball so I can find out whether I'm going to be tagged out or whether I'm going to make it back home.

Tips: Yes, Sinderella has mentioned this before and I shall mention it again. READ THE EMAIL. The whole darned thing, not just what you think is important. WATCH THE VIDEOS. They help to give you ideas if you don't have a clue on how to present your lesson. Even though it's common sense, the reason I stress this that somebody made their own lesson because they didn't read the email properly. Lucky for that person Maria was nice enough to give him a chance and let him prepare one during the seminar. Had this have been JET, I reckon the people who were late and the unprepared person would have been disqualified.

disguisedrobot
April 22nd, 2011, 02:30
To add, there was no lunch break but you could use the kitchen to make tea and coffee. There's tons of shops around so you can get something to nibble on, if not you'll have to wait it out until you've been interviewed and done your demo, which might not be until 5pm. I was pretty starved by the end of it. You can request an earlier interview if you have to go early to catch a train or what not.

The spelling and grammar tests were pretty simple, doesn't required much technical knowledge language. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the "active" and "passive" sentences.

The interview was super relaxed and was not intimidating at all. Maria and Hilarly were friendly and Maria's been more than helpful with me.

Shankerbelle
April 22nd, 2011, 03:38
@Disguisedrobot <3 <3 <3

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Waxxy
April 23rd, 2011, 05:25
Hey i know some of you guys from the jet programme forum, its euphonik!it sucks to be alternate, im applying for interac :) hoping i get an interview!

Sakurahoshi
May 1st, 2011, 16:52
Hey guys, nice thread.

Sindy, is that you? You've changed your screen name but I think it's you. Congrats on getting into Interac! I'm waiting until October to apply to JET again but I'll apply to Interac too this time, rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. I think my application should be good enough this time for JET, but then again, I thought that last time and I was dead wrong! :roll:

How long are Interac contracts? Are they only for one year and that's it, or can you recontract X amount of times? I'm wanting to stay in Japan for the long term.

jd111
May 2nd, 2011, 07:14
guys a question if i may, im putting together my Résumé that i have to bring to the interview. ive put down ALL of my work experience and education as asked for in the email.
ive had some people look at it, and they said its would be ok, if i was going for an engineering job, since it shows all of my technical experience etc. but maybe not great for a teaching position.

i have already given plenty of information about my teaching experience and reasons for wanting to go to japan on the online forms

what im wondering is...

they say "The Ministry of Justice" requires this information so should i just leave it as is? or make some changes? i can post it if required!

would appreciate any help on offer!
john

Shankerbelle
May 2nd, 2011, 09:24
@Sakura interac run the same contract style as JET but they run from April to April then august to April (where you can renew for April to April again) there is no upper limit with interac, with the opportunity to move up in the org (apparently...)

@jd send it as is. They don't actually care about the specifics of your roles and their relevance to teaching. I believe they are just after a detailed account of what you have done over the last 20+ years. No need to amend anything :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MrMagpie
May 3rd, 2011, 02:09
Is anyone else going to the seminar in Chicago on May 7th? I'm still getting all of my props and materials together!

ZeroX585
May 16th, 2011, 07:11
I had my interview yesterday, for those who are curious of how it went in the U. S.

At my particular interview (Salt Lake), there were 7 other people, all with varying backgrounds. They were actually very interesting people too.

Stephanie was our interviewer, she was a very nice person.

Anyway, the setup was like this:

1. Everyone does a self introduction.
2. Watch the power point slide on Interac, (basically the PDF presentation file you got in your email after the phone interview screening finished). Although, that was where the opportunity to ask other questions was, if they arose.
3. Short break.
4. Finish the power point slide.
5. Short Break.
6. Grammar test.
7. PRESENTATIONS
8. Personal Interviews.

As for everyone's presentations there, I will remain silent on who did what, but let's just say that everyone did a good job overall. And I believe, not one person had a flawless presentation. A portion had to restart the presentations actually, but... really... the setting was far more casual than I was anticipating, and probably as the other candidates also didn't expect either. Everyone was fairly nervous during their presentations, including myself (I botched my intro a bit, but continued on after stumbling through it).

Right now... its just a matter of waiting to see if any of us are what they are looking for.....

I feel confident of my performance, but... ultimately it will be up to the recruiters and the BoEs.

Also, the presentations were done not in 'parts', as in they stop the camera after recording every part, but they had it be one 6 minute take. You had to announce which task you were doing before you began them.

EMTQueen
May 16th, 2011, 11:00
I had to restart mine because I was the first to go up and the recruiter had forgotten to take off the lens cover. But ZeroX585's summary of the seminar is pretty accurate, though at mine, we did the grammar test after the presentations.

lilaclavenderblue
May 16th, 2011, 11:10
Well, my phone interview is Tuesday. I did have a question for you all--assuming that I pass the phone interview and am able to go to the next round... I am a US citizen but I have two locations near me, each 8 hours away. One is in Toronto and one is in Tennessee... This is probably a stupid question but do you think I might be able to swing an interview in Toronto, ON? My family lives up there and I'm more familiar with that area.

EMTQueen
May 16th, 2011, 17:28
You can always ask during the phone interview after they give you the seminar invite. I'm sure there's no problem with it because ECC and other companies hold interviews in Canada, but have American applicants attending them.

Jamgirl
May 22nd, 2011, 04:28
Did anyone get information on the special package for leaving early when you got the offer of employment or do they send that out after we have confirmed the offer? I just got the standard letter about how much we should bring but nothing regarding the special package so i'm just wondering

jd111
May 22nd, 2011, 04:31
i was told about it during my phone interview, and it was mentioned all the through to me accepting the terms

Jamgirl
May 22nd, 2011, 04:41
thanks JD. It looks like after u accept they send u a follow up email regarding the special.

oneokbunny
May 23rd, 2011, 05:05
Are you already coming in on the special?? I had to contact them to upgrade to it as my plans changed.

jd111
May 23rd, 2011, 05:28
thanks JD. It looks like after u accept they send u a follow up email regarding the special.

Hopefully you hear about it soon, like i said, my offer of employment mentioned the terms of the special package. so i hope they dont try and screw a few people!

Jamgirl
May 23rd, 2011, 07:03
My seminar was specifically for the early start date so we were told about it throughout the presentation but i think the email with the offer said that another email will be sent regarding the special so I'm just gonna send them back the required documents and see what they say