PDA

View Full Version : ECC Interview Session

EMTQueen
February 8th, 2011, 06:09
I just received an email from ECC recruiting inviting me to a hiring session in Toronto (closest available to me). I'm going either at the end of this month or March, if they get back to me about the March dates.

Has anybody gone through ECC before and is willing to tell me what the sessions are like? It looks to be an all day thing, with a Q&A session, individual interviews, and a teaching demonstration.

mandragora
February 11th, 2011, 05:22
I'm looking into ECC Japan right now. Does anyone have any links to people who previously worked there? It seems like a decent company, but idk.

msdeeds
February 12th, 2011, 11:58
My prof actually referred me to a previous student of hers (An ex JET) who referred me to ECC. He says it's pretty large in Japan and reliable from what he hears, so i'm definately going to look into it.

AVN
February 16th, 2011, 18:23
Yeah it's a big one out here. I don't hear a lot from their employees which I think is a good thing.

Sirrus
February 22nd, 2011, 01:05
I interviewed with them before. It is pretty much an all-day affair. About a 6 hour interview. We taught the lesson as a group, dividing it up into sections for each member. It was alittle odd since I was prepared to give an individual lesson. There was a grammar test at the end and upon completing that, you talk one on one with the interviewer and then it's over. Driving out of Toronto in the midst of rush hour was quite an experience. I wasn't selected in the end unfortunatly.:(
From what I hear, they're the most stable among the eikaiwa's and have a decent reputation actually.

Shankerbelle
February 23rd, 2011, 20:17
I thought ECC wasnt recruiting until April?

ECC Recruiting (https://recruiting.ecc.co.jp/online/uk/index.php)

I might look into them as an alternative when April rolls around. That being said, I haven't really seen much positive information on them online... where generally it's more of a mixed bag.

人工知能
February 23rd, 2011, 22:11
I meant to post this here but accidentally posted it in the amity thread.

I interviewed in Toronto a couple months ago and didn't get in. The company seemed alright but it also seemed like it was going to be a lot of work and pretty shitty hours. Some split shifts even. I'm kinda glad it didn't work out but I hope this will be useful to someone.

About the teaching demo:
The guy will give the group of you a topic, it will be animals because I'm sure those materials haven't been changed in years, and then you will have about 20min to come up with a lesson. You will get puppets and masks and flashcards etc.

You will come up with activities to introduce new vocab and each person will take a part. Basically the first activity will give them the word, and the last in the group will try to get the "kids" to produce the word, and the two in the middle will be working progressively towards that goal. You then follow the same pattern for a short phrase with the vocab. You then present this lesson with about 3 min for each part.

One thing that he seemed to want aside from genki was to not use words other than the vocab or phrases, but to demonstrate with actions what you wanted the students to do.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Also if he asks you what is unusual about the contract (since you have read the materials he sent you you should know) tell him it is that "you don't sign your contract until after you complete training in Japan". He said that if we had known the answer that would have been enough to hire us, but who knows.
(http://www.ithinkimlost.com/non-jet-career-education/16470-amity-seminar.html)

EMTQueen
February 24th, 2011, 03:53
I thought ECC wasnt recruiting until April?

ECC Recruiting (https://recruiting.ecc.co.jp/online/uk/index.php)

I might look into them as an alternative when April rolls around. That being said, I haven't really seen much positive information on them online... where generally it's more of a mixed bag.

They're interviewing North American candidates now, so I don't know. The U.K., New Zealand, and Australia definitely aren't recruiting. The U.K. page doesn't even have the form up.

As for reviews, mixed bag pretty much applies for almost all eikaiwa/ALT contractors. ESID and all. Looking online for info is good to stay away from the ones that are scams or otherwise sketchy, but ones as big as ECC, JET, and Interac are always going to have mixed reviews, mostly because the Internet is a wonderful platform to air grievances anonymously.

shoegazer
June 4th, 2011, 06:52
I just received an email from ECC recruiting inviting me to a hiring session in Toronto (closest available to me). I'm going either at the end of this month or March, if they get back to me about the March dates.

Has anybody gone through ECC before and is willing to tell me what the sessions are like? It looks to be an all day thing, with a Q&A session, individual interviews, and a teaching demonstration.

Did you ever end up going? Or for that matter, has anyone recently interviewed with ECC? I was hired by them way back in November, and sparing you the very long story, my placement has been delayed time and time again since then, even well before the Tohoku disaster. I was supposed to be placed as soon as possible, and I've recently heard about recruits that have been hired less than a month ago receiving placement almost immediately while I myself, and likely others, have been waiting for over half a year to be placed. If you do your research, you will find stories about people who waited out their entire eligibility year and were never placed despite constant recruiting and offering of placements to newer recruits. I don't know what will ultimately happen in my case, but if anything, despite the fact that they seem like a fantastic company to work for once you finally get to Japan, their reliability regarding placement IS questionable, their promises and reassurances notwithstanding. I am speaking from experience.

EMTQueen
June 4th, 2011, 11:17
I went this past March but wasn't hired. I did hear stories about some people not getting placed after receiving an employment offer, but those came at a time when the global economy collapsed and so it made some sense. I didn't realize they're still keeping people hanging.

Did you email them and get any sort of response?

shoegazer
June 4th, 2011, 12:20
I went this past March but wasn't hired. I did hear stories about some people not getting placed after receiving an employment offer, but those came at a time when the global economy collapsed and so it made some sense. I didn't realize they're still keeping people hanging.

Did you email them and get any sort of response?

That's true about the economic collapse, and that's what I assumed myself. I've been in correspondence with them for seven months now, and I've periodically been given updates concerning possible openings and estimates as to when an offer might come. None have been accurate. This is due in part to their Kanto district putting a hiring freeze in effect in December, which is when I was supposed to be made a placement offer. However, although I'd put Kanto as a preference, I also made a point to put down that I was flexible and made this known to them several times since, having been told in return that I would be notified of *any* available openings, which were subsequently offered to very recent hires despite what should have been my seniority. And for the record, I was informed that such seniority is meant to exist because when I found out about the lack of Kanto spots, I was also told that the few spots available would go to those who had been waiting longest.

Just days ago, this situation hit a serious low when, after I had asked about my status, I was informed that I would receive an offer for Kanto the very next day, start date and all. Seven hours later, they tell me my offer had been canceled because of an oversight concerning lack of time to get a visa. Needless to say, after informing all of my friends and family and believing that my hard waiting had finally paid off, it was a hell of a slap in the face. Perhaps there wasn't enough time in truth, but how do you not consider this before making preliminary plans for training and informing your recruits? No apologies either, mind you.

So, the last thing I heard was that placements are *expected* in Sept-Oct, but that whether this will be the case "remains to be seen." The only explanation for all this I can think of is that despite any willingness to go to other districts, some (all?) who'd originally requested Kanto were basically kept in a jar just in case spots did eventually open there. This would be understandable from a business perspective, not to mention it reveals some kind of concern for recruits' original preferences, but to not be upfront about this is hardly professional. Maybe there's some other pieces to the puzzle I'm not aware of, but just the fact that there is a puzzle at all is rather troubling. Pretty ironic, considering that I accepted employment with them so as to avoid the shady dealings so common in the world of English instruction in Japan!

koodz
July 28th, 2011, 22:29
ECC is basically a Kansai company. The more open you are about placements the more opportunities you can get. We had trainees come through just a few weeks ago and a few weeks before that. I've been hearing about hiring freezes for three years now but I've never seen more than a month or two go by without a training group come in.