PDA

View Full Version : Leaving in April. Consequences?

Winterboy
February 9th, 2011, 14:34
Much better pay, not teaching English, starts in April.

I did re-contract but only as a safety net if this offer falls through.
I'm sure they can get a new ALT by August.

I don't care about my plane ticket back home.

The company will sponsor my visa change from education to engineering.

Rent ...Not sure what would happen. I don't care if I have to pay full price for the 4 months that are left on my contract. The company will pay more than JET does for rent assistance so I could probably work something out with the landlord and stay where I am.... or just move to a new place and transfer all my utilities etc.

Pension refund? Also clueless. I'm planning on staying on this job for at least a year or two for a nice resume booster. Don't know if I would be able to see any of it back at all.

Any CIRs who have dealt with this want to chime in?

Azrael
February 9th, 2011, 14:42
what?

instead of rambling on try forming coherent sentences asking specific questions.

Winterboy
February 9th, 2011, 14:48
Sorry for ranting. Only 2 real questions I guess.

1. What happens with the rent subsidies I get for the last 4 months that are left on my contract with the apartment? Would I be responsible for them?

2. Will I be able to get any $ back from the pension if I eventually move back home in a couple years?

Azrael
February 9th, 2011, 14:53
1. if you have a direct contract with the landlord in your name then you will just carry on as normal except your rent will go up. if you dont have a direct contract your contracting organisation will want you out so they can put the new guy in.

2. your pension is yours, it has nothing to do with jet. you can claim back a maximum of 3 years worth of payments when you leave. just make sure you give your pension number to your new employer.

Winterboy
February 9th, 2011, 15:08
Thanks!

The official Japanese pension page is a throwback to the geocities era.

patjs
February 9th, 2011, 20:47
Most Japanese web pages seem to be stuck in 1999.

patjs
February 9th, 2011, 20:48
Most Japanese web pages seem to be stuck in 1999.