PDA

View Full Version : ToA Application

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 15:28
So I want to be a ToA this year. I'm definitely genki enough and I want to represent my prefecture. Not to mention a paid trip to Tokyo.

The app seems to have just come out today. Anyone else applying? Any tips from those who've done it? Is it really all about who you know?

I know that everyone and their mother applies for this, but I just wanted to get some feedback from people.

Azrael
February 15th, 2011, 15:29
search the forum for wickets posts on this. she did it a few times

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 15:31
Ah okay thanks. I tried searching before and couldn't find anything. I'll search for wicket.

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 15:45
For REAL! That's another reason I forgot to add! I attended lame-ass workshops last year and I thought I could do so much better.

Hopefully we can hang out in Tokyo! :D

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 16:52
Hahaha you've got that shit on LOCKDOWN!

patjs
February 15th, 2011, 17:50
what is the appeal of ToA? the free trip to tokyo?

melty
February 15th, 2011, 18:57
what is the appeal of ToA? the free trip to tokyo?

* Free trip to Tokyo
* Embassy party (if your embassy has one)
* It's actually really fun to meet so many of the newbies
* The giggles/piss ups on the TOA training days. I really liked the other TOAs that I met, and am still friends with some of them.

I was helping AJET as well as the TOA folks...so i remember being knackered, but really enjoying it.

P.S.
Sorry if any of you arrived in 2007 and didn't like your TOAs. I had soooo much fun.

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 19:48
Yeah, it seems like a cool experience. Even if I don't do a presentation, it'll still be fun. I like meeting new people and TO is a great place to do so. Plus, like Cat said, meeting people from other prefectures would be cool.

lizbuff
February 15th, 2011, 19:59
All the JETs that did TOA in my prefecture last year had a blast and are applying to do it again.

I would definitely apply if I was re-contracting, I'll do anything to get free days off work.

Jordan
February 15th, 2011, 20:36
When's the deadline? It'd be a shame if you got the job then found out all the annoying ITIL noobs like myself got in.

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 20:50
The deadline is March 5th, I believe.

So far the noobs this year aren't too bad. At least, from what I know. I don't go to Applying very often.

Alphabet
February 15th, 2011, 21:23
I applied last year but didn't get in. The people that got in...were qualified I guess! I can name drop you the people who got in for our prefecture.

Punchy
February 15th, 2011, 21:27
That'd be cool! I know one guy, but he's being a bitch right now and I don't want to talk to him about it.

Muffles
February 15th, 2011, 21:46
Good luck Punchy! You'd make a good toa!

Jordan
February 15th, 2011, 23:24
Is there anything you don't have a hard on for? I think we may be approaching the point where it's quicker to identify those things.

mrfahrenheit
February 16th, 2011, 07:41
it'll be a shame if you get in regardless but at least we'd have advance notice to keep on the look out. one of the forum regulars last year got TOA and didn't meet any of us that weren't in her prefecture.

Well that's just a lie! A dirty rotten lie! I am one prefecture away and I met her. :)

I'd apply for ToA if I weren't gtfo. Good luck Punchy and the rest!

Kegger
February 16th, 2011, 08:50
I'm also applying to be a TOA :], will hopefully get it.

kawyn
February 16th, 2011, 08:52
it'll be a shame if you get in regardless but at least we'd have advance notice to keep on the look out. one of the forum regulars last year got TOA and didn't meet any of us that weren't in her prefecture.

Maybe she only met the special newbs ;)
Nah, TOA isnt just a free trip to Tokyo, you have to actually do work and in weird hours of the day. When you are not on a shift, you are expected to be a genki shepherd and herd the newbs.

There is also a gazillion newbs so its not like she can pick out who the cool itilers are... Plus there are weirdos on the interwebz :)

Muffles
February 16th, 2011, 09:08
Hoping that all this screening process gets rid of most of the weirdos...

kawyn
February 16th, 2011, 09:09
Well it doesnt... :(
You will be surprised

Muffles
February 16th, 2011, 09:10
damn :(

February 16th, 2011, 09:13
there are weirdos on the interwebz :)

...guilty.

kawyn
February 16th, 2011, 10:43
I think you did see her, you just didnt realise because she looked Japanese!

lizbuff
February 16th, 2011, 11:00
Maybe she only met the special newbs ;)
Nah, TOA isnt just a free trip to Tokyo, you have to actually do work and in weird hours of the day. When you are not on a shift, you are expected to be a genki shepherd and herd the newbs.

There is also a gazillion newbs so its not like she can pick out who the cool itilers are... Plus there are weirdos on the interwebz :)

If my prefecture's TOAs are anything to go by, when you are not on shift you do whatever the hell you want, namely, drinking with noobs.

Despite not being a TOA, I got down to Tokyo orientation last year on 'special leave' and spent three very fun drunken days down there. (Did do a bit of work, but not much)

Punchy
February 16th, 2011, 15:20
Hoping that all this screening process gets rid of most of the weirdos...

Well it doesnt... :(
You will be surprised

+ 20. That was a sad realization for me at TO.

and yeah, I expect to work but it sounds like a lot of fun.

wicket
February 16th, 2011, 20:36
Ah okay thanks. I tried searching before and couldn't find anything. I'll search for wicket.

i'm right here but despite what azrael says i was only a TOA once. i also presented at the kobe renewers conference, but i don't think they even have that anymore.

to some extent it's who you know, in that the [japanese] boe supervisor and the [american] alt advisor who supported my application in osaka-fu both knew me pretty well. i had helped out at osaka orientation and mid-year seminar, had volunteered for english camps; and led our local [compulsory] alt meetings. i also worked hard to write what i thought were good proposals for workshops [not that i got to do what i wanted, but that's another story].

Anyhow, I've attached a couple of things that might be useful. The powerpoint is one I used at Osaka mid-year seminar rather than the one from tokyo [i didn't make the one for tokyo, hated it and didn't keep a copy]. Look if you think it'll help. Good luck!

ETA: It won't let me attach the ppt file. Sorry - if you want it, PM me with an email address.

Kegger
February 17th, 2011, 11:39
I think our PA's are the ones who decide here. They decide, make strong recommendations, and the BOE generally accepts.

Sheepy
February 17th, 2011, 16:39
My advice is don't be a genki cunt spouting out cliched shit like "getting involved" because everyone will hate you.

saritajuanita
February 17th, 2011, 20:55
your boe/the ken boe have nothing to do with the selection process (unless they screen them, but I think they are required to send all of the applications they get). the program coordinators at CLAIR go through the applications and they choose.

tip:
it's all about the outlines.
-make a kick-ass outline. don't be wishy washy with it... show them that you know what you're talking about and that you will be able to present it professionally
-if you can present on an uncommon/specific topic (lgbtq, jets with a family, jets of african decent, etc) you have an advantage.

being a TOA is fun work, but it's work. free time is spotty and random since everyone is working shifts

Taurus
February 17th, 2011, 21:56
your boe/the ken boe have nothing to do with the selection process (unless they screen them, but I think they are required to send all of the applications they get). the program coordinators at CLAIR go through the applications and they choose.

My understanding is that prefectures screen the applications and then send them to CLAIR who make the final decision (I DON'T think they are obliged to send on all of the applications). And I may have understood something incorrectly, but there might be a certain quota of TOAs from each prefecture.

Punchy
February 18th, 2011, 09:13
Yeah, there's also a form that your tantosha has to send in with your app where they add a comment or two about you.

Or so I was told.

jerseywonder
February 21st, 2011, 22:19
I've not heard anything about applying as a ToA, do they have one from each prefecture? Sounds like it'd be fun!

wicket
February 22nd, 2011, 14:34
if you are a prefectural ALT, your BOE most definitely get a major say in whether you go or not as they have to support your application.

jerseywonder - i'd say that application close in march - so get onto your PA or ALT advisor and ask where the information is - it should also have appeared in the last CLAIR newsletter, so if you're not getting those you'd better ask your main place of work where they are!

Punchy
February 22nd, 2011, 16:19
Yeah, you have to get everything turned by March 4th, Jersey.

It would be cool if they had someone from every prefecture, but I don't think that's the case.

tenderRondo
February 22nd, 2011, 19:21
where are the applications?

wicket
February 22nd, 2011, 19:31
click on the square that says "apply to be a toa 2011" on the jet homepage:
The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme-- (http://www.jetprogramme.org/)

jerseywonder
February 23rd, 2011, 20:39
Funnily enough, came into work today to find all the info about this piled on my desk ... won't be in Japan at the right time though - gutted! Would have been interesting to apply just to see what happened; seemed like the TOAs at last orientation had a laugh.

Punchy
May 13th, 2011, 22:19
I was made an alternate! Laaame!

I can't imagine that I'm going to be upgraded. Anyone else get their results?

Punchy
May 13th, 2011, 22:19

Punchy
May 15th, 2011, 07:30
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that =\

Their loss.

diemjay
May 15th, 2011, 09:16
Accepted.

Thanks for the application tips/examples you posted wicket.

Kegger
May 17th, 2011, 13:14
rejected, but then I'd changed my mind about recontracting, so i was amused they'd even bothered to send me the email.

patjs
May 18th, 2011, 07:23
i heard these are heavily influenced by the prefecture/PA so if you aren't in with the cool crowd you don't have much of a chance getting in

MixedNuts
May 18th, 2011, 08:05
It also has to do with how many people from you prefecture apply. When I got accepted I think only 2 or 3 other people had applied because most people wanted to head out on their summer travels as soon as possible instead of stick around.

ore_no_himitsu
June 6th, 2011, 19:48
I got accepted for Group A.

Anyone else?

bingowing
June 10th, 2011, 13:54
Me too.

MJN
February 22nd, 2012, 11:48
I'm actually really keen to do this, judging from the response here it sounds like it's worth doing.

Page
February 22nd, 2012, 13:01
Not me. Mostly because I don't care to present.

wicket
February 22nd, 2012, 13:05
Everyone presents, unless you are there as an AJET representative.

MJN
February 22nd, 2012, 15:28
I dunno about group B, but I came with Group C and there seemed to be almost as many OA's as people there, and really not that many presentations.

Also, I don't exactly care to present, but meh. It looks like it could be fun.

(...what are the chances of getting accepted, but not presenting?)

wicket
February 22nd, 2012, 15:49
So, not everyone presents. :)

To clarify, one of our PAs, who was a TOA last summer, said that not everyone gives a presentation. Those not giving presentations were not limited to AJET reps. This may be a change from previous years.

wow, they've really loosened it up then. when i did it we were all expected to give presentations as well as take turns manning various rooms.

we were paired up for the presentations, though, so i guess it's feasible that if you didn't want to present you could help prepare it, have your partner do the actual presentation, and then help out with the Q and A.

i'm not sure what the point of having you there would be if you weren't going to be presenting as well.

Ini
February 22nd, 2012, 16:04
isnt TO shorter these days? like 2 days instead of the epic 4 day waste of time it used to be? They still need lots of bodies at the airport to meet people but the opportunity for them to give pointless presentations is probably less so only a chosen few of jobsworths get to inflate their ego

MJN
February 22nd, 2012, 16:07
There was a couple of presenters at TO that really rustled my jimmies, one in particular.

Ini
February 22nd, 2012, 16:08
rustled my jimmies

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/211057_111675342253695_6917001_n.jpg?

Jiggit
February 22nd, 2012, 16:16
Wow, what does that even mean?

And yeah, it's only two days now.

Hell one of my Tutors went on the JET precursor thingy and had a two week orientation where they stayed in a 5 star hotel and got shipped around all these traditional inns and spas and shit. Might be worth it then...

February 22nd, 2012, 17:17
How many of the seminars did you guys skip? I snuck out of/skipped two or so out of the 8.

lol at posting TOAs at some of the hotel exits.

lilyanphino
February 22nd, 2012, 19:22
I am tempted to apply for it, but I probably won't since I don't see much point in doing it.

Jiggit
February 23rd, 2012, 09:23
How many of the seminars did you guys skip? I snuck out of/skipped two or so out of the 8.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/200/420/BRTky.jpg

Ini
February 23rd, 2012, 09:38
I was there for the opening ceremony, the reception thing with food and booze, the embassy night and the closing ceremony. rest of the time i was either in the hub or passed out in my hotel room. Ahhh JET, such a waste of tax payers money

coop52
February 23rd, 2012, 10:40
I went to opening ceremony, the big workshops, and the prefecture meetings. I think I skipped most of the AJET stuff about culture and whatnot because a) I had already learned about that stuff both at my consulate orientations and on the internet and b) I was just too plain jet lagged to care. US didn't have an embassy event, so we (meaning the ones in my prefecture group) went to karaoke instead.

Honestly, I didn't think that the workshops and such were that terrible themselves; it was just the heat combined with jet lag that made everything suck. I think that it'd be a lot better if they start later on the first day and push the rest of the stuff back, skipping a lot of the AJET stuff. That kind of thing is usually covered by consulates and prefecture/local orientations anyway.

mrcharisma
February 23rd, 2012, 12:06
TO was one long cringefest after another for me. Lowlight was a "Q+A" session with some current JETs which was both utterly useless and patronising. The speakers just used the event as a means of bragging about their achievements and making subtly smug comments about their big city placements / high academic schools.

It was followed by a terrible seminar hosted by some guy from New York who'd clearly never had sex, and so saw this influx of "fresh meat" as a way to showcase his uncomfortably wacky personality.

coop52
February 23rd, 2012, 12:23
I agree. I really appreciated having my prefecture's TOAs there. I also liked getting a chance to meet a bunch of people going to other prefectures. Hanging out with some of the Irish folks was great.

MJN
February 23rd, 2012, 13:09
On a maybe related subject, there are openings for PAs in my prefecture and I'm wondering if anyone has done the job or applied before.

What does it actually entail? I'm tempted to apply, I think it sounds like it might be worth it/fun, anyone care to kill that feeling or is it a good position?

Trivial
February 23rd, 2012, 15:29
If you don't make it as a TOA, do what I did, and orientation will be a blast. Gatecrash orientation, show the noobs around Tokyo, and go to all the parties. Hell, I even ended up with a girlfriend at the end of it.

Trivial
February 23rd, 2012, 15:32
I highly doubt that on both fronts: just get belligerently drunk before you go and you'll have the super confidence.

MJN
February 23rd, 2012, 15:38
My group and I did that for university once, it actually works. Netted our group a 91% on a presentation.

Ini
February 23rd, 2012, 15:42
I was belligerently drunk for my JET interview and I got in with my first choice of placement. moral of the story, if you live every second of your life belligerently drunk theres nothing you cant achieve.

MJN
February 23rd, 2012, 15:47
I was belligerently drunk for my JET interview and I got in with my first choice of placement. moral of the story, if you live every second of your life belligerently drunk theres nothing you cant achieve.

What about getting past a breathalyzer test?

Ini
February 23rd, 2012, 15:49
you should have the confidence to give the person administering the test a swift kick to the groin

MJN
February 23rd, 2012, 15:59
Fair enough.

Alcoholics Anonymous Chairman Election?

Ini
February 23rd, 2012, 16:02
those drunks are easily bought, hand out a few miniatures of Bacardi in the lobby before the vote and you've got it in the bag

MJN
February 23rd, 2012, 17:24
Winning a 'who can go longest without drinking' bet?

Gizmotech
February 25th, 2012, 19:18
I thought about applying for TOA but when my supervisor finally actually brought the paperwork to me this week he was like "well, you can go do this but..." in only that Japanese way meaning "I swear if you apply for this we will shit kick your ass back to Canada"

That and I didn't want to be one of those ass hat presenters... I just wanted to help people off the plane and to get out of BFI for a couple of days paid.

kurisu
February 27th, 2012, 15:08
Being a ToA:

Have barely any free time to do actual fun things in Tokyo.
Have to possibly present ridiculously boring, often regurgitated presentations.
Stand for hours around places screaming "HEY COME ON THIS WAY, FOLLOW OUR PINK SHIRTS" to bewildered over-excited Naruto fans and virgins that think they are on their quest to finally get someone to touch their genitals because they failed with every female specimen in their home country.
Wake up at 6:30 every day for the awesome bore-fest extravaganza 2012.

Wait, what? People compete strenuously for this? How bad are the areas where you are placed? I would take a few days of relaxing in my placement city over that anyday.

wicket
February 27th, 2012, 15:23
you obviously haven't done it, then.
you forgot - not everyone actually has to go to the airport. i got to stay at the keio plaza and swim until the newbies arrived hours later.
also, you forgot about organising the prefectural night out - you can do pretty much whatever you want for this. we did tabe/nomihoudai and karaoke.
also, embassy nights. the australian one in the mid-90s was AMAZING. in the mid-noughties, somewhat disappointing. but still decent free wine and food.

oh, plus you forgot the extra free trip to tokyo in june for "toa orientation" - LOTS of free time, especially in the evenings and 3 days at the keio.

Punchy
March 1st, 2012, 22:02
Holy shit, I haven't been on here in a while!

I'm applying again too, RomLup! :D Hopefully we both get it this time, yeah?

Punchy
March 1st, 2012, 22:11
Lies. All lies. Who've you talked to? They must have been shitfaced.

;)

wicket
March 2nd, 2012, 12:26
RL I really hope you get it, just based on your response to my comments.
I actually enjoyed spending time with newbies, especially the ones who would come to iron their shirts at 2am because they were jet lagged and then wind up talking through their uncertainties about the job.

Punchy
May 14th, 2012, 19:56
I got ToA for Orientation A!!

Aw too bad we won't get to hang out, RomLup! :( I can hide a secret message somewhere in the Keio for you to find, though!

Cytrix
May 14th, 2012, 20:13
I was going to apply but I'll be boozing in a West-Midlands pub when it's on...instead am doing workshops at our prefectural one

kawaiijutsu
May 15th, 2012, 09:25
Got rejected for it >< Oh well, few more days of sitting around the office bored to tears, and I'm sure we'll have a welcome nomihodai for the noobies up here anyway.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2012, 09:30
Rejected? WTF. There had to be 100 ToAs at my orientation last year. That means probably 200 in total. Are there really that many people who apply to this thing?

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2012, 10:38
Yes, definitely. I was rejected last year despite sterling credentials (I was born to do Orientations) and availability for all three groups and the planning meeting. Even if people aren't serious about the Orientation aspect, there are a lot of people who want a trip to Tokyo.

Fair enough, forgot about the paid trip thing... I guess I should apply next year once I know how this new ARC system actually works (rather than what they've been telling us)

Ini
May 15th, 2012, 10:40
I should apply next year once I know how this new ARC system actually works

The Arc | For People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (http://www.thearc.org/) ?

really explains a lot about your posts

Jiggit
May 15th, 2012, 10:49
lol

bananallanah
May 15th, 2012, 19:39
I wish I was doing Group A D: Oh, well. Just glad I'm going!

But I'll be arriving in Group B! Bonus fun pointssss

Jiggit
May 15th, 2012, 19:45
Huge OMEDETOUZ to you SOMULAR RUPEES

Teishou
May 20th, 2012, 09:22
I wish I was doing Group A D: Oh, well. Just glad I'm going!

I wish you were, too. :< That's MY group. You'll be with Merky's group. :D