PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in Class?

chuckle
February 17th, 2011, 10:03
So I just came from a JHS class where a couple of students insisted on sleeping despite my telling them to wake up about a dozen times. Basically, they would raise their heads for about 5 seconds after I asked him then fall back asleep immediately, or even argue with me about it in J-go I couldn't understand. I was wondering how y`all deal with that. One of my other JTEs got on me yesterday for not doing enough to make the students pay attention while she was lecturing, and I was concerned it would look bad if the principal came by. On the other hand, the attitude I've seen on here regarding ALTs and discipline seems to be (perhaps more realistic) "let it go, it's not our job, they won't take us seriously, etc." Still, I can't help but feel like a bit of a failure as a teacher (even as an ALT) if there are students who are quite obviously uninterested and asleep in a lesson where I'm supposed to be getting them to stay focused and take notes. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jojo
February 17th, 2011, 10:29
Other than asking them to wake up theres not a lot you can do and not being able to communicate with them doesnt help either. I allways try to start with some kind of warm up that gets them out of their seats but invariably if the JTE's arent strict on it there isnt much you can do

chuckle
February 17th, 2011, 13:19
Well dang, I was afraid of that. I can communicate, but only to a limited degree and I haven't really been able to deviate from the lesson plan to have things like warmups, helpful as they may be... Oh well. Thanks for the response.

Jojo
February 17th, 2011, 13:35
yeah i think thats one of the biggest mistakes when starting a class - just barreling in - the kids switch of strait away. How about asking the teacher if you can have 5 min at the start to review the last class and just have them all stand up and do some easy review questions - do a row race or crisscross... I find it tends to break that cycle of them starting the class talking or half asleep - it grabs their attention so when they have to concentrate later theyre primed for it.

patjs
February 17th, 2011, 20:07
you should first talk to the JTE's and make sure it's ok for you to discipline or even yell at the kids. if it is then you have to wake them up. if the JTE doesn't seem to care I would just let it go. if you're the type of person that never gets mad and doesn't yell, a well timed blow up will scare the shit out of the kids and you can be sure they will remember it.

If they seem to have the attitude of "you don't need to worry about discpline/ you aren't Japanese so you don't get it" then just screw it and let the JTE handle the sleeping kids. they really aren't bothering anyone.

it also depends on their grade level and time of day. first period is rough, and the period after lunch can be rough as they get sleepy after lunch. 3rd years at this time of year just give it up, they are beyond help and they are exhausted from testing and don't care about class anymore. if there are sleeping 1nensei though you've got issues.

phenom
February 18th, 2011, 11:04
Three words. Inflatable squeaky hammer.

word
February 18th, 2011, 15:06
Did you manage to find one that actually squeaks? Most of 'em I've seen have a sort of weak "whistle," rather than a squeaker. I want one that squeaks like the world's most annoying dog toy, but I have no idea where to buy it...

Jordan
February 18th, 2011, 21:45
One of my old teachers used to make anyone who was clearly dropping off stand up, on the basis that at least they couldn't actually sleep standing up. It was also moderately embarrassing to be the only person in the room stood up.

They may not pay attention but at least they won't actually sleep.

patjs
February 18th, 2011, 22:11
yeah i have a JTE that does that here. it works pretty well.

actually having a class full of sleeping kids just reflects poorly on the teacher. I saw the most sleeping with my older JTE's in the past and the newer ones are good enough that the kids at least stay awake and pay attention.