PDA

View Full Version : Online TEFL courses

TokyoToshi
February 19th, 2011, 13:04
To increase my chances of being accepted into JET next year, would it be beneficial to take an online TEFL course? or are they a waste of time and money? Online courses in general have a reputation of being "second-rate" to real university classes, and I'm not sure if JET would recognize a certificate from one. Thanks to anyone who can help!

word
February 19th, 2011, 13:07
It probably won't hurt, but it probably won't help much, either.

kalliea
February 19th, 2011, 14:57
For TEFL, it really doesn't matter if you get it online or not. An online cert is basically the same as a campus one. However, how much having a TEFL will help you get accepted is rather questionable, no matter where it came from.

TokyoToshi
February 20th, 2011, 00:44
So a TEFL class wouldn't help my chances at JET that much? Hmmm... :/ Thanks for the tip

kalliea
February 20th, 2011, 11:15
It wouldn't hurt your chances. If you have no teaching experience, it might help.

Miss_igirisu
February 21st, 2011, 12:36
In the Tefl world an online certificate is not worth the paper it's written on. I have no idea if it would help you into jet (a classmate of mine who also had a tesol degree got rejected the first time round) but it may help you once you're here.

My advice would be to not do it, but read up on different methods (japan uses the grammar translation method, for example) and have stuff to say on those ready for the interview.

seinfeld
February 23rd, 2011, 12:44
double post

seinfeld
February 23rd, 2011, 12:44
If it's not from an accredited university or school, you're wasting your money. The absolute worst are those 120 hour classes or the like. Once you finish the course they'll refer you to Interac and similar dispatchers, which gives you a good view of just how worthless your time was.

Kegger
February 23rd, 2011, 14:47
waste of time, don't bother.