PDA

View Full Version : Crisscross/tateyoko variations

phyleeze
February 28th, 2011, 15:43
I often do a warm-up of tateyoko with the frist-year kids in my JHS, and my JTE asked me to find some variations of the usual style we play it.

How I play it: kids start standing up, I ask a question, they raise their hand and answer, they correctly answer and can pick "column", "row" or "only me" to sit down, while having the sitting kids in that line stand up again. The game ends simply ends when time is up.

Do you play in a different way that I could implement into ours to mix it up (or have any suggestions)? Thanks.

word
February 28th, 2011, 16:50
We do, in addition to "column," "row," and "only me," "diagonal" or "super-diagonal." "Diagonal" is self-explanatory, "super-diagonal" means they get to pick one other individual.

I didn't start this; they were playing this way when I got here.

Miss_igirisu
March 1st, 2011, 10:39
Sometimes to jazz it up I get my kids to ask me the questions instead. Depends on the level though.

kawyn
March 1st, 2011, 12:29
When they dont answer it within 10 seconds I make everyone stand up again.

I also make everyone repeat the answer after the student answers it, whoever doesnt repeat it has to stand up agian.

word
March 2nd, 2011, 11:06
When they dont answer it within 10 seconds I make everyone stand up again.Ooh, this is a good idea; I should start doing this. My kids have been getting lazy recently.

scarreddragon
March 8th, 2011, 13:06
We have 8 versions we play at my school, and I have them all written down on cards and one kid picks one to play from the pile every class.

1) Normal: I ask a question, kids answer.
2) Normal Plus: I ask a question, kids answer plus "And you?/How about you?" where applicable.
3) Switched: Students ask me questions that I answer.
4) Backwards: I start with the answer, kids must say the question
5) Student: I start and ask a question, student answers, then asks their own question, and picks a new student to answer
6) Plus One: I ask a question, student answers plus extra information/sentence (ex: Me: "How are you?" Student: "I'm fine, but I was sick yesterday". Or "I'm hungry, today is udon for lunch" etc.

These last two aren't really crisscross, but we play them sometimes instead:
7) Team Challenge: ALT and JTE have a short list of questions, class is split into two, ATL/JTE asks their team the questions and students answer, then sit down. First team sitting wins.
8) One by One: ALT goes down the rows and asks each student one question; alternately, this can be done standing in criss cross style, but each student must answer.

Kids who answer/teams who win get stickers, which they love. We use these for ichinensei, so #6 can be difficult for them to think of something else to add, since I don't accept "How about you?" there. Usually I prompt them, or ask a related question, and if they answer that one too they get two stickers.

My kids have the options front/back/right/left. This makes the game last a bit longer, and the kids on the ends love choosing the way that only they themselves get to sit down!

I usually count down from 5 if the kids seem to be having trouble; if they can't answer or take awhile, I move on to another kid, so this prevents them standing there and thinking forever.

Finally, the one by one seems like it can take a long time, and the first few times might take 7-10 minutes, but the kids will start competing with other classes times, and you can get it down to 4-5 minutes with around 35 kids, shorter than that with smaller classes. It is good practice for them, and even the shy ones get a chance to speak.

Hope that helps!

Jojo
March 8th, 2011, 13:25
Another good way to mix it up is to ask questions based on answers - for example - Do you like なに? then ask the next kid - Does he/she/kanada like なに? Its a good way to practice pronouns with 1st years.