PDA

View Full Version : Back up plans...

dbridges
February 23rd, 2005, 00:05
Just curious as to what people were planning if they aren't accepted. Are you applying to private programs in Japan? Staying at home? Going somewhere else?....

quasarsglow
February 23rd, 2005, 07:06
I've applied to the Teaching English in Japan program through Earlham College as well..

If neither.. no worries, I've got a master's degree.. I can surely find something to do. I think I may move to Austin, TX and work at an Amy's Ice Creams shop. :)

staples
February 23rd, 2005, 11:43
If I don't get through, I'll be working one more summer here (probably) and going on my Working Holiday visa to Osaka to party and find a real job in a Japanese company, but I'll probably end up teaching English like everyone else and wasting all my money on beer. Shit, it's a hard life isn't it. Part of me kind of hopes I don't get through on JET so I have an excuse to waste more of my dwindling youth drunk and obnoxious.

Pandilex
February 23rd, 2005, 12:02
Ah but you can save up your JET money, still get wasted every day (as seems to be the Japanese culture) and then go back home and spend it on another degree or something, join loads of societies and clubs, and never leave them. Get a full time job at the uni, and spend your entire life as a party goer! Woohooooo!

dobharrison
February 23rd, 2005, 13:35
Hehe! :)

*Looks in wallet.*

Oh. :(

Shotokai
February 23rd, 2005, 13:40
if by saving you mean the compulsory pension scheme then HELL YEAH...oh you mean actual saving...if you're in a city you can kiss it goodbye.

dobharrison
February 23rd, 2005, 13:51
Why? Where is the city going?

Not entirely true, I have friends who live in downtown Hiroshima and manage to save. Depends on your lifestyle and how disciplined you are.

Ini
February 23rd, 2005, 20:42
Part of me kind of hopes I don't get through on JET so I have an excuse to waste more of my dwindling youth drunk and obnoxious.

I'm sorry but how is getting on jet going to stop you doing that?

quasarsglow
February 23rd, 2005, 22:43
Part of me kind of hopes I don't get through on JET so I have an excuse to waste more of my dwindling youth drunk and obnoxious.
Funny that, that's my entire reason for going. Well... maybe not.. but it's up there. :D

dbridges
February 24th, 2005, 00:07
If neither.. no worries, I've got a master's degree.. I can surely find something to do. I think I may move to Austin, TX and work at an Amy's Ice Creams shop.

Sounds good...used to live down in TX and if you can deal with everyone thinking that they live on the greatest place on earth without ever having been somewhere else it's really nice. And ice cream....mmmmmm....ice cream (can you get me any discounts if I don't make JET either?)

quasarsglow
February 24th, 2005, 00:33
If you can deal with everyone thinking that they live on the greatest place on earth without ever having been somewhere else it's really nice.

And ice cream....mmmmmm....ice cream (can you get me any discounts if I don't make JET either?)

Hey, I'm from West Virginia.. The oldtimers swear they're in God's Own Country as they die of emphasema. I've never heard such rave reviews of a polluted, exhausted bunch of mountians and rivers.

And I have no idea about discounts, but I do love me some Amy's!

dbridges
February 24th, 2005, 02:23
West Va, huh? Kentucky here, but I'm way down at the other end. Trust me, though, those Texans are a breed apart.

syojyou
February 24th, 2005, 06:06
Why? Where is the city going?

Not entirely true, I have friends who live in downtown Hiroshima and manage to save. Depends on your lifestyle and how disciplined you are.

Eh, but still, Hiroshima has far less attractions/places to spend transportation money on in its entire borders than just one neighborhood in Osaka or Tokyo, wouldn't you say?

tash_bert
February 24th, 2005, 09:09
But it still depends on your lifestyle and personal choices as to whether or not you can save anything.

Even in deepest darkest inaka with nothing to do you can still blow all your money every month. How? On travel.

It's so expensive to get anywhere in Japan. Living in inaka you're more likely to do lots of road trips to get to big cities and do cool things, hence no money at the end of the month.

dobharrison
February 24th, 2005, 09:58
Eh, but still, Hiroshima has far less attractions/places to spend transportation money on in its entire borders than just one neighborhood in Osaka or Tokyo, wouldn't you say?

Umm ... Miyajima Island, Sandankyo Gorge, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture (lots of things to see there), the San-In coast, etc. All within easy travelling distance, just waiting to gobble up your money!

And Hiroshima has great nightlife and restaurants, which is where most of my money goes. I am the garlic restaurant's best customer!

EDIT: Like Tash said, it all depends on your lifestyle and how frugal you are. I love travelling and seeing new places and I spend almost every evening in the city (Japanese classes, meeting people, etc) as it's so close.

CharlieBrown
February 26th, 2005, 14:44
My main goal is to get to Japan. It'd be great if it was on JET, but if not, I still think I'll go. At the moment, the other two companies I'm looking at are Interac and Aeon. Does anyone have any information/recommendations about these places? Would appreciate any comments or other suggestions.

Thanks

superyan
February 26th, 2005, 21:11
my backup plan is go and teach English in China..or go to Hong Kong and do graphic design for a year...
then save up for a hoilday to Japan..
i just wanna leave England for a bit..
woohoo..can't wait til i finish uni..

DangerMouse
February 27th, 2005, 12:28
my backup plan is go and teach English in China..or go to Hong Kong and do graphic design for a year...
then save up for a hoilday to Japan..
i just wanna leave England for a bit..
woohoo..can't wait til i finish uni..

OMG, these are pretty much the same as my back up plans.
Im dying to get out of the uk for a while to live in Japan, and travel asia, but if Jet falls through ill definitely consider looking for architecture or design-related work abroad as an alternative (although much more diff to find work methinks).

I have family in HongKong so i have the possibility of starting off there if i try that route... but otherwise id love to revisit China

14 weeks til uni finishes..... GET IN

Pandilex
February 27th, 2005, 20:08
Interesting, when you say teach in china/hong-kong, is there a similar programme to JET there?

redfieldblair
February 27th, 2005, 21:41
Interesting, when you say teach in china/hong-kong, is there a similar programme to JET there?

Theres certainly programmes similar to Nova there, one or two of them were at the careers fair at umist last year.

superyan
February 28th, 2005, 00:46
Dangermouse,
haha I have family in HK too..thats why I wanna give it a go there..

theres teaching posts as British Council Language Assistants (http://www2.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants) in different countries..China is one of them..think the deadline for applicants is March... :?
unfortunately Hong Kong's not on the list..

Pandilex
February 28th, 2005, 01:17
Wow! If I don't get accepted into JET or after JET if I do, I might just consider applying to go to China afterwards! Have to do more research first though...

DangerMouse
February 28th, 2005, 01:30
hehe....
of course HongKong would be a fantastic place to work,
but since the passover it has become increasingly difficult for whiteys from blighty to find work. I have family there but im 100% british, although many people there said i looked chinese?!? i thought it was all a wind up until pretty much every local was mentioning it GRR

Anyway, from what ive read up about, finding teaching jobs in china appear to be much easier to come by than in japan.... the demand is much higher, particularly if you are prepared to go to somewhere obscure in northern or western china. In some extreme cases you only need a british passport and to commit for a year .....lol.

Although it is important to remember the pay is usually significantly less!

Pandilex
February 28th, 2005, 06:01
Yeah, that site said around £150/month minimum, but they pay for accomodation and bills. Supposedly it's about the same for a teacher there! Jeez and they pay you thousands here just to TRAIN as a teacher!

CharlieBrown
March 17th, 2005, 17:18
Just trying to bump this topic up to try and get some more info on alternatives. In particular, I'm thinking about AEON or Interac as my alternatives to JET.

PLEASE anyone... what can you tell me about these, or other, programs?

THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

Ini
March 18th, 2005, 13:22
people who work for those companies smell of cheese, feel free to apply but you will have to face the fact that you will spend the rest of your life with a cheesy aroma

dobharrison
March 18th, 2005, 13:40
AEON is a typical language school, much like NOVA and GEOS. I've heard that AEON is the best of the three, but I have no first-hand experience. Expect long hours!

Interac offers a very similar experience to JET but with less pay. I think you get more choice over where you get placed, though. There are quite a few Interac people around Hiroshima and they seem happy enough (well, they weren't constantly crying, so that's a good sign, right?) However, I have heard some bad reports about Interac, that they're losing money and couldn't afford to pay some of their employees.

I suggest you do some more research on the internet, there are posts about both at www.eslcafe.com, but take anything you read with a pinch of salt.

bitter5w33t
March 20th, 2005, 13:52
My ex-bf works at AEON. He said he didn't really have a say in his schedule, so his days off were on Sunday and Monday. Also, he worked A LOT, so (when we were together) I could hardly ever visit him, or when I did I had to figure out some way to distract myself while he was at work. AEON did treat him well, but I guess it's just not for him, as he is counting the days until the end of his contract.

It just depends though. I had another friend who liked AEON better than JET. She liked having more control over her lesson plans, and she liked that she could pick her placement.

I've heard NOVA stands for NO VAcation.

CharlieBrown
March 21st, 2005, 18:56
My ex-bf works at AEON. He said he didn't really have a say in his schedule, so his days off were on Sunday and Monday. Also, he worked A LOT

Really? So he had to work a lot more than the 12-9pm schedule they list on the website? What sort of hours did he tend to work? That's something I'm worried about with the eikaiwa option - I don't want work to be my life. Not that I'm going to bludge my way through, but I hope to have time to do other things too.