PDA

View Full Version : Languages.

April 16th, 2011, 02:22
All asinine previous posts aside, half instigated by my husband (I'll kill him for a few things. Auto log in is deadly.) As well as hormone driven stupidity, I have a few questions.

I am pursuing my Master's in English here shortly, while over kill it will later benefit me in the states (under a masters and you make a penance for pay), have any of you been offered or approached to instruct other languages, and also how fluent are most of you in Japanese. Being new to the country I'm still looking for a viable way to learn Japanese with accuracy and fluidity without having to rely on the local marine base, as its taught by teachers that...to be fair, have been here for less time than I have and live in an outdated text.

The reason I am asking is that my neighbor has asked me if I know French, having heard me use a few words in the house. Far from fluent I declined, but are any of you instructors, or have heard of other instructors for multiple languages?

Arigato,

Lady.

Hintalove
April 16th, 2011, 08:54
Having done most of my Japanese language learning at the uni level, I don't have much advice other than grab Genki or what ever the introductory book of your choice, read it, and then get out in bars/what ever your medium for random social interaction is, and talk to people. Talking to people is the single best thing you can possibly do to learn a language, as you have to function in real time, and they will often help you identify your mistakes and your bad habits.

As for learning to read, again, start by finding a good book. Preferably something that comes with text to read along side it to apply what you're learning and constantly force you to review what you've already gone over. In regards to this, a systematic approach is best on an introductory level, and try to read more Japanese books/comics/what ever your cup of tea is until you feel comfortable. This will by far be the hard part.

Also, in the begining a little bit of drunk will go a long way in getting rid of your inhibitions towards embarassing your self (even though you aren't really). Don't worry about making mistakes. Japanese people are going to be peeing them selves with glee if you can get deeper into the conversation than "I would like to eat pizza", so just try to iron out mistakes as you go rather than getting embarrassed when you fail at conjugating a verb or can't remember vocab.

ps: Get really fucking good at circumlocution.

kawaiijutsu
April 30th, 2011, 08:09
I've been asked to help coach people with German sometimes, but the grammar there literally makes no sense, even to natives.
As hinta said, Genki is a pretty solid textbook. Much of what the Japan Times makes will serve you well. I have another book from them called "Japanese Through Dialogues for Intermediate Learners" that is really useful for learning more natural, spoken grammar patterns. You might also look into the JapanesePod101 podcast, as they cover lots of different material, each lesson showing a new grammar point and vocab. Plus, it's free :P Good luck!

wicket
April 30th, 2011, 14:23
I got paid to teach "Australian English". Which was hysterical. 30 little old ladies repeating "G'day, mate".

By the way, it's a "pittance" not a "penance" and a Masters, not a Master's. Just thought someone with a higher degree might want to know that...

April 30th, 2011, 15:00
I got paid to teach "Australian English". Which was hysterical. 30 little old ladies repeating "G'day, mate".

By the way, it's a "pittance" not a "penance" and a Masters, not a Master's. Just thought someone with a higher degree might want to know that...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master's_degree

Pittance I'll give ya though.

Hintalove
April 30th, 2011, 15:10
Wicket's baby almost choked on it's own poo. Are you going to let that kind of a bloodline get all up in your letters?