PDA

View Full Version : The next stage

ENAY
February 24th, 2005, 01:44
Ok, so if you find out you finally got into Jet. What happens next?

I know you get some training or something before you go. But is that it? Surley you don't have to just sit and wait for months before you go.

And will they have already decided where you are going, just from your 20mins interview?

dbridges
February 24th, 2005, 02:18
I'm sure someone with a little more insight will be able to expand on this, but from what I understand, selections are announced in mid to late April and you are notified about your placement in mid to late June. As far as I know, there are no more interviews, etc. for placement, they just go with what they have. I have heard that placements are primarily based on school preferences (we want a female/male, Australian/Briton/American, someone with prior teaching experience, someone who is fluent in Japanese, etc.) and there is really very little you can do to influence your placement. Anyone who has better information please feel free to correct or add to this.

Cornelius
February 24th, 2005, 07:45
Discussed here: http://www.ithinkimlost.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=27743&highlight=#27743

Shotokai
February 24th, 2005, 07:56
so when you find out you are successful it's more waiting for information about your placement, and that comes about 4 weeks before you leave (loads of time huh!) and then you have your training in your home country and then fly out. when things get going the REALLY get going!

Mere
February 24th, 2005, 10:21
Training in your home country? Eh?
ITraining in your home country depends on: a)wht country you're coming from, b) what consulate you're with, c)how close you are to that consulate/JET alumni chapter

There was no mandatory training, only the predeparture meeting was mandatory for my group (S.F.).

There were optional language courses (at night and over an hour and a half away from where I was) and a 2-3 optional training courses (again, at night during the week). I was working at that time and could only make it to one pre-departure event (and it was more on JET life, not training). So it really depends on your consulate/ country as to how much training you'll get. before you arrive.

nicklad
February 24th, 2005, 10:26
so when you find out you are successful it's more waiting for information about your placement, and that comes about 4 weeks before you leave (loads of time huh!)

If your lucky!!!

I was told which prefecture I was about 3-4 weeks before I left but only got the info from my school a few days before I left for Japan.
I hadnt heard before the Edinburgh orientation anyway.

After getting here it seemed my prefecture was late with all placements.

So I guess the "every situation is different" battle cry of JET can be extended to the placement timing.

Ock
February 24th, 2005, 12:28
retired

Shotokai
February 24th, 2005, 16:13
*waves at the JET desk in London, who check boards like this*

HI Miamoto San.

Ock
February 24th, 2005, 18:50
retired

Shotokai
February 24th, 2005, 21:42
"DON'T DO DRUGS"

Pandilex
February 24th, 2005, 21:57
Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

nicklad
February 25th, 2005, 09:28
Rappers are shit. I hate the talentless bastards.

Guns dont kill people?

As Homer once said "The blade itself incites to violence".

A particularly insightful episode of the Simpsons. :lol:

Pandilex
February 25th, 2005, 10:06
Don't disrespect the GLC man!