PDA

View Full Version : Cramming in vocabulary

Tyr
May 1st, 2011, 07:32
Any tips?
This is the hardest part for me in languages, just getting those words in and making them stick.
I'm a bit backwards in my Japanese really, Kanji I can handle fine but the spoken language...I suck.

ManOverboard1986
May 1st, 2011, 07:42
Vocabulary's my favourite part of language learning. Not so hot on the grammar or kanji (I know a pitiful ten).

My way of doing it was going on the smart.fm website and they had this 2000 essential Japanese words or something. As the words came up on screen I'd write them down in a list, then read them out for about a few minutes. I'd do no more than twenty a session.

Then depending on whether or not you have a Japanese person available, get them to randomly choose a word from your list and say the English version. You then reply in Japanese...advantage there being that they can check your pronounciation.

Kuro2Flo
May 2nd, 2011, 18:50
Personally, the best way I remember vocab is by putting each word in context. Really useful words are always the easiest because they get used a lot. Or you hear them a lot.

If you are just going straight off a list, I always pick 3 or 4 words a day, pen them in on my arm and use each 4 times in a sentence throughout the day. I dont know how much grammar you know, but even in a simple sentence structure will work.

kawaiijutsu
May 10th, 2011, 03:53
It took me a while to get used to it, but now I am ADDICTED to Anki. It's a spaced repetition software...how it works is you input the flashcards (you can also download premade sets...there's plenty for Japanese, including Heisig, etc), and then it quizzes you on ~10-20 of them every day. When you answer, you rank how well you got it from "Not at all" to "Yeah, that was pathetically easy". Based on that, it chooses when to test you again. It's meant to quiz you on the card when you would need it most before it slips out of your long term memory. It also has a cram function, which is great for studying right before tests. It takes a bit to get used to, but the ability to add tags to cards, cram, and the spaced system make it amazing to use for me. It's also totally free, just google search for it. It beats carrying around a stack of flash cards for me :P

western youth
May 10th, 2011, 10:02
I think it helps to study words pertaining to a field you're interested in. I'm really into music and play guitar, so I've come to know words like 弦 (string) , 歌詞 (lyrics) and 弾く (to play,i.e, guitar). If you're talking about things that interest you, you'll end up using those particular words a lot and they'll stick.

Lego
May 12th, 2011, 16:26
ピアノ means piano, in case you were interested.

Jetonabe
May 12th, 2011, 21:50
Zen Nihongo from the Apple app store is pretty good and it's free too. It has the kana, vocabulary and kanji on it as flashcards.

western youth
May 13th, 2011, 07:46
ピアノ means piano, in case you were interested.
Those were not good examples, fine, but whatever.