PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Moving from Korea to Japan

NMonk1
May 2nd, 2011, 08:50
Hi, after a couple of years in Korea I'm thinking about coming to do some public school teaching in Japan and I have a few questions.

1) I will have 2 years public school experience in Korea and a CELTA, I'm doing my M.A TESOL but it won't be finished in time, how much can I expect to be paid?

2) Of that how much can I realistically expect to save living a 'normal' lifestyle (going out for food a couple of times a week and going out drinking on a Friday night kind of lifestyle.

3) How much vacation would I get?

4) Are there any other major benefits?

5) Could I pick a region or could I literally be placed anywhere in Japan?

6) Would you recommend the JET programme?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can be bothered to answer my questions :) !!!!

Miss_igirisu
May 2nd, 2011, 11:49
Hi, after a couple of years in Korea I'm thinking about coming to do some public school teaching in Japan and I have a few questions.

1) I will have 2 years public school experience in Korea and a CELTA, I'm doing my M.A TESOL but it won't be finished in time, how much can I expect to be paid?

2) Of that how much can I realistically expect to save living a 'normal' lifestyle (going out for food a couple of times a week and going out drinking on a Friday night kind of lifestyle.

3) How much vacation would I get?

4) Are there any other major benefits?

5) Could I pick a region or could I literally be placed anywhere in Japan?

6) Would you recommend the JET programme?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can be bothered to answer my questions :) !!!!

Hey and welcome:

1. The experience is a plus but unless you're doing university teaching then your celta and certainly your ma will be meaningless. It's not like epik where there is a pay scale. I think maybe westgate (short contracts, university setting) does have a pay scale but it's not that different.

2. It depends on whether you go as an alt (and then if you are jet or dispatch) or eikaiwa or whatever. The average jet can save 50,000 yen a month I think.

3. Again, depends on what job you're going for

4. As above.

5. As above.

6. With your experience then probably not. You're not here to teach on jet and perhaps you'll be too bored and have too high expectations. If i were in your position I'd come as a lang school teacher and network like hell til you get a good job. Now is the best time since there were so many people who went back home after the earthquake so there should be some juicy jobs out there if you know how and where to look. Have a look over at daves cafe, where you'll find a wider ranger of teachers than we have here.

patjs
May 6th, 2011, 23:50
word. if you have teaching experience and will soon have an MA, you may be miserable on JET. A lot of JET ALTs don't do a ton of real "teaching," and honestly even the non-qualified teachers can go a bit nuts with this job.

I agree with Miss Igirisu, you should consider just taking a job with a company at first and then search for university gigs here. You can definitely find something better than JET.

jwkelley
May 16th, 2011, 02:15
Are you doing an online tesol? might i ask where?

I am finishing up 2 years at an English village. Am going with Jet, mostly to rack up public school experience. I also don't have a tesol/celta or masters though which changes things a lot.

Miss_igirisu
May 16th, 2011, 12:00
Online courses aren't as usefull as courses that you have done in the flesh, especially when looking for jobs.

jwkelley
May 17th, 2011, 01:32
Online courses aren't as usefull as courses that you have done in the flesh, especially when looking for jobs.

for tefl certs definitely, for a masters i think it has a little more weight. Especially if you have teaching experience backing it up.

Still even most online courses are expensive, Australia has some cheap ones (16k). But there is a TESOL graduate cert, not masters but close enough, at a state college near me. Its cheaper then the online courses and would also gets me certified in Massachusetts as an ESL teacher.

So I think that is the best choice, money wise and experience wise. Just have to get myself to settle with the fact of living with my parents for a year sometime after jet.

Miss_igirisu
May 23rd, 2011, 07:56
I always heard (from dave's esl cafe mainly) that you are more likely to get a better grade if you do it distance because you can study your own students, but with that distance course when you graduate it's not as helpful in getting a job as if you'd have done it there in the flesh.