PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Rock... Japanese Glastonbury?

Sinbad
May 21st, 2004, 00:34
I'm a big fan of music festivals, especially glastonbury, and I've heard they have something similar over there called Fuji Rock. Has anybody heard anything about this, and is anybody up for it?

Chiara
May 21st, 2004, 01:01
It is an amazing festival, you're right. But it's highly unlikely we'll be able to go this year as it's 30th July to 1st August, which, depending on when you're flying out, will be probably when you have to travel to your placement area, or your first weekend in Tokyo.

Bummer, eh?

lorenzokenzo
May 21st, 2004, 05:21
fuji rock sounds cool...i just hope u dont have to spend 24 hours hitting your redial button to not get a ticket...was anyone lucky enough to get tickets to glastonbury this year?

Laura
May 21st, 2004, 05:25
Ooooh, hate to boast ( :D ) but me, me, me! I got a ticket! At three in the morning though: the ticket system was a shambles. Hope they sort it out for next year... oh wait, it won't matter for us!

joe
May 21st, 2004, 05:33
I got one! don't know how but I got on the dot of 8pm when they came out (!!!) . very very very lucky. never got to go before tho so maybe i deserve it :wink:

Sinbad
May 21st, 2004, 17:33
I've just checked out the prices for Fuji Rock, and for a ticket with camping and car parking, it costs in the region of £230!!!... I thought glastonbury was a little expensive but this is twice the price!

oh well.. it's got to be done.

Xeno
May 23rd, 2004, 18:16
I'm afraid if it sounds dumbass.... :oops: .....but what's the Summer Sonic? Is it different from Fuji Rock? :?:

Chiara
May 23rd, 2004, 21:17
Summer Sonic is another festival which is, i think, the week after Fuji Rock this year. It's 2days long, and is in Tokyo and Osaka, and this year they've got Beastie Boys and N.E.R.D, Green Day among others...i think it's the equivalent of the UK's Reading and Leeds festivals, whereas Fuji Rock is more of a Glastonbury-sized event...

adammoogle
May 23rd, 2004, 21:33
leeds!?!?!? did i hear someone mention my home town and best city in all of yorkshire if not the world???

adammoogle waves his 'Love Leeds' banner excitedly :) :D :)

Sinbad
May 25th, 2004, 00:16
So Chiara,

Are you on for Fuji Rock next year then? (2005). I've just got to experience a japanese glastonbury festival, even though it is pretty pricey, I reckon it would be well worth it.

japanese + glastonbury = mental festival

Chiara
May 25th, 2004, 16:49
yeah definitely! I was gutted when I found out I was going to miss it AGAIN this year. I had planned to go when I was on holiday in Japan last summer but because my boss was off in August I had to go earlier than I wanted to, and left before it happened. Grr. I hope that they aren't trying to pap us back off the the UK by the time it comes around again next year ;)

Xeno
May 31st, 2004, 22:17
Hey, I checked where Fuji rock will take place and found out it's in Niigata!! 8O It's a bit far from Tokyo and where I'll be placed. Why you guys wanna go there more than Summer Sonic (in Tokyo and Osaka) though its even more expensive and jammed? :?: Of course I can understand if you'll become JETs in Hokuriku though. Anyway, I'm gonna take part in Summer Sonic this year. Can't wait. :D

Kat
May 31st, 2004, 22:21
Man, you've just made my placement in Niigata get a WHOLE lot better. Cheers!!

woo hoo!!!

gutted about missing Leeds this year so this will suffice..next year of course ;-)

Xeno
June 1st, 2004, 00:14
Fuji Rock

http://www.smash-uk.com/frf04/index.html

Summer Sonic

http://www.summersonic.com/index.html

For those who got interest in either of them but too lazy to search, check out bums. :P
I think if you are a camper ( or an outdoor type) and tough enough to be able to stand that 3 days fanatical event, Fuji Rock would be better. But I can't stand taking no shower for the whole 2 days + I'll be far from Niigata + I can't afford to pay more than 30,000 yen + I don't wanna die of excitement and exhaustion (Don't get heat exhaustion, Fuji Rock fans. :x I'll be careful too. :wink: ), so I'll be okay with Summer Sonic for a day. :D

Chiara
June 1st, 2004, 01:06
Xeno - you sure you're going to be able to make Summer Sonic? I wrote it off because I assumed we'd still be deep in Hardcore Orientation land... Seeing as I'm equidistant between Tokyo and Osaka I may try to go to one if it looks like I'll be free... Iwasn't going to count on it though just incase our BOEs have loads of "excitement" planned for us...

Cantdosleepflower
June 1st, 2004, 02:45
Green day
Avril Laivgne
Sum 41
The Darkness

Summer sonic would be better if there was going to be music there.

Chiara
June 1st, 2004, 03:37

You get shit like that at Reading and Leeds these days though. Jurassic 5, Lee Scratch Perry, Peaches and er, Junior Senior is enticement enough for me..

Cantdosleepflower
June 1st, 2004, 04:09
Junior senior was a joy last Summer. I wouldn't be too bothered about seeing J5 live (my sis and her friends all said they were a bit rubbish) but I reckon seeing Perry'd be worth all the fuss.

It'd be fun cos you'd have all the usual festival excitement and an extra dose of 'shit on me! i'm in japan' brainflid too.

Some people don't like my crotch

Mil
June 1st, 2004, 07:31
This is the first year that Fuji rock have made you go for 3 days, rather than being able to just go for one or two and I think the numbers are really going to suffer. That and the lineup, while awesome, isn't neally as good as last year which has to win the best line up of any festival I've seen. Still the Pixies, The Chemical Brothers, The Streets, Mum, The White Stripes and PJ Harvey ain't half bad.

Chiara
June 1st, 2004, 08:11
I've just discovered the joy of Mum... I can't believe I never listened to them before now... Finally we are no one is such a good album. Must get the new one too...

Xeno
June 1st, 2004, 11:20
Xeno - you sure you're going to be able to make Summer Sonic? I wrote it off because I assumed we'd still be deep in Hardcore Orientation land... Seeing as I'm equidistant between Tokyo and Osaka I may try to go to one if it looks like I'll be free... Iwasn't going to count on it though just incase our BOEs have loads of "excitement" planned for us...

Chiara, I'm sure I'll go if I'll be free. The reason why I'm not trying to get a ticket for Fuji Rock is also because it must be hectic during the days and impossible to go to Fuji Rock. I hope one week later would be okay. I'm going to ask my present JET friend to get one for me if there are some discount tickets, anyway. :)

Sinbad
June 1st, 2004, 19:48
I think I'm gonna write Fuji Rock off for this year, as it almost certainly be impossible to attend. However, as I plan to stay for at least two years, I will go in 2005. Niigata's also not too far from where I'll be (Fukui).

Sonic looks ok.. but in my opinion camping at a festival is a big part of the overall experience, so Fuji rock is more my kind of event.

steelqueen
June 26th, 2004, 10:03
Green day
Avril Laivgne
Sum 41
The Darkness

I thought Green Day broke up, or went into outer space or soemthing? Maybe I'm just not hearing about them because I no longer go to school with their number one fan. :/ Avril, Sum 41, and the Darkness, eh? Sounds like Much Music programmed this thing. :/

topsterloin
June 26th, 2004, 14:49
Green day
Avril Laivgne
Sum 41
The Darkness

roflmao...too true...sorry, chiara, the lineup for fuji rock definitely owns whatever the hell this summer sonic shit is...i've already seen j5 many a time in venue large and small (so that may be some slight bias)...and who the fuck is green day aftr insomniac (as i recall they were weakening then anyway)...fuji rock festival will be the mos def topshelf music fest they have...but shit...i'm not even arriving till 8/01...my life sucks (looks like i'll be hitting the only major fest i have left in the states before i leave...allgood in west virginia) cheers to all the musicgoers out ther...and cheers to all the people who are as sloshed as me right now

Chiara
June 28th, 2004, 02:03
err...i didn't say that it was a better festival than fuji...someone asked about it and i explained :)

topsterloin
June 28th, 2004, 02:31
err...i didn't say that it was a better festival than fuji...someone asked about it and i explained :)

sorry, my bad...let's challk that last post up to some insane drunkenness and pisspoor reading skills :oops: