PDA

View Full Version : Gaba questions

LostInTranslation
May 16th, 2011, 23:05
Does anyone work for GABA or know someone that does? Have the opportunity to get to Tokyo or Osaka through them. Do they help you find clients or is it up to you to book your own? How does it compare to to private ALT places like Interac? How does it compare to other eikaiwa?

jwkelley
May 17th, 2011, 00:48
My friend does gaga he does not like it or hate it. He likes the fact he controls his time tables, but if you cannot pull in the students you do not get paid.

http://www.gaijingamers.com/archive/index.php/t-1355.html

LostInTranslation
May 17th, 2011, 01:53
Thanks for the link. The detractors of these places seem to be mostly whining about the hours or "you have to teach to get paid". In what professional exactly can one do absolutely nothing and get paid for it (outside government)?

My primary concern isn't with working conditions, but rather how good are the is the eikaiwa market condition in Tokyo and Osaka? Is it extremely competitive to pull and keep students? Are there enough clients to go around and how does gaba stack up to its competitors?

Taurus
May 18th, 2011, 09:06
I remember before JET (ie. about two years ago) I was offered a place with Gaba so my wife did a quick search of Japanese message boards. The impression she got from the customers was that Gaba teachers spend most of their time putting pressure on their students to take out more lessons and trying to sell more services to them.

So I don't think it's right to characterise detractors of Gaba as whining about hours or having to teach; it's probably more accurate to describe it as whining about signing up to teach English and finding that you have to spend most of your time and effort in trying to secure new students and classes so that you can earn a decent living.

I've heard that some of Gaba's competitors in the eikaiwa market also put pressure on instructors to sell services and lessons to existing students, but as far as I'm aware, it's only Gaba where the instructor's financial compensation is directly tied to this (essentially extra-curricular) sales activity.

Miss_igirisu
May 18th, 2011, 11:17
What they mean by having to teach to get paid is that you are basically on commission- you get paid per lesson not just as a set thing per month. a good friend of mine works there part time (it is difficult to work there full time unless you've been there years and hbe built up a good student list) and says that it's difficult but they treat their staff well and you don't have to sell stuff to the students, only your lessons.

Ini
May 18th, 2011, 13:58
sounds ghastly.

Tarquin
May 18th, 2011, 16:27
It's akin to working at a host/hostess club, except instead of sleeping with customers you have to speak English to them.
Nowhere near as exciting if you ask me.
I've heard they treat you marginally better than Aeon and Nova (LOL)

mothy
May 18th, 2011, 17:29
I suspect the pay is worse than a hostess club too.

But you'd get to be in JAPAN! Green tea and onsen! Rainbows out the butt!

MixedNuts
May 20th, 2011, 08:02
In large cities there are big company eikaiwas and mom-and-pop eikaiwas everywhere. There are also lots of foreigners who are willing to work for less. People who go to eikaiwas for lessons aren't necessarily interested in really "learning" the language; for some of them it's just a hobby or a way to meet people. So if they feel that they aren't getting what they want (which happens sometimes even if you actually try to do your job and "make" them learn English) they can always stop attending your lessons when the ones they paid for are all up and switch to one of the other 100 English schools or instructors there are out there.

twentytwo
May 23rd, 2011, 04:08
Not only do you have to provide your way over to Japan, provide for yourself while you get set up, but you also have to provide all of your own students? And GABA takes a large portion of the cut?

Uhh.

LostInTranslation
May 23rd, 2011, 04:14
Their website and recruiters say they give you a schedule. I don't think you're tasked with finding your own students, or at least their website doesn't advertise that fact.

uthinkimlost?
May 23rd, 2011, 04:16
Their website and recruiters say they give you a schedule. I don't think you're tasked with finding your own students, or at least their website doesn't advertise that fact.

I wonder why that would be...

LostInTranslation
May 23rd, 2011, 04:56
Are you saying recruitment propaganda is lying to me? The nice advertisement with the dashing young man of an indiscernible race clearly states I will be making 34 万 a month after taxes.

Miss_igirisu
May 23rd, 2011, 07:44
Lol, if you advertised that you'd finger all your students for free each time they booked a lesson with you.

Gaba is good as a side thing if you are already in Japan and need some spare cash on the side. Otherwise it's probably not worth bothering with.

Tarquin
May 23rd, 2011, 09:10
I don't think you have to find you own, but it's a good idea to keep the students you do get happy so they keep booking with you. If you're shit they'll just request another teacher and you'll have an open slot and won't get paid.

That's my understanding of the system anway.

LostInTranslation
May 27th, 2011, 13:30
Well I have tutoring and some volunteer teaching experience, so I think I'd suck slightly less than the average flunkie that is right off the boat. Although fingering is probably out of the question, as I am mostly asexual.

Miss_igirisu
May 27th, 2011, 13:36
Your students- or the people you want to be your students- don't care about your experience and qualifications. All they want is garry gaijin who fits their mental stereotype of what a gaijin looks like, to sit and chat with them for an hour.

Tyr
May 28th, 2011, 19:05
These Japanese are crazy

Sounds like a bad job does this;

LostInTranslation
May 29th, 2011, 00:47
Well I like sitting and talking with people, and I definitely look like a typical aryan gaijin. Maybe I will be alright at my eikaiwa job (:

Miss_igirisu
May 29th, 2011, 13:10
Do people cringe or grimmace when they look at you?

LostInTranslation
May 30th, 2011, 06:59
Nope, they only do that once they get to know me a lot better. On average it takes people 30 to 60 business days (alcohol temporarily alleviates my condition) to realize that I have the kind of quiet, distant personality that they find boring, soulless and utterly disgusting.

Tarquin
May 30th, 2011, 12:36
It only took me around 40 posts from you to reach those conclusions.

Easy_money
May 30th, 2011, 15:14
I hear the Gaba application process is just a crap shoot man. So if you get turned down for this bottom of the barrel eikaiwa you were just unlucky! :rolleyes:

LostInTranslation
June 3rd, 2011, 08:09
Why do you say they are bottom of the barrel?

Ini
June 3rd, 2011, 08:59
because its almost as bad as those "executive recruitment" jobs you always see posted everywhere

LostInTranslation
June 3rd, 2011, 11:56
Oh well, if it sucks I'll just end up using them for a Visa and find a better job. Not like they'd have any recourse against me

Miss_igirisu
June 3rd, 2011, 12:06
At the start they'll prob only give you a few lessons anyway so it's prob best if you use them for the visa and then use them for part time top up money.

LostInTranslation
June 3rd, 2011, 12:12
I'll have at least 80 万 after apartment setup (my friends in Tokyo say it's usually 4 months w/ key money, agency cost and deposit) so even if Gaba screws me on scheduling I'd probably be ok.

I've read they are one of the larger eikaiwa in Tokyo, so I find it hard to believe they're a terrible company. Slave driving penny pinches maybe I'd buy.

Miss_igirisu
June 3rd, 2011, 12:23
Nova was a huge eikaiwa company with branches everywhere...

Once you're visa-ed up and here, it won't be hard to find little schools to teach part time at on the side.

mothy
June 10th, 2011, 23:29
I've read they are one of the larger eikaiwa in Tokyo, so I find it hard to believe they're a terrible company.

Good god you shouldn't be allowed outdoors. Nova was one of the larger eikaiwa as well. Please just stay home so I don't have to witness you sucking cock on the street in Shibuya for sushi and macha money.

EMTQueen
June 11th, 2011, 08:25
But it would be funny...

mothy
June 12th, 2011, 00:04
That's true.

Nevr mind, lostintrannie. Please come to Tokyo to suck cokc for my enjoyment. Me love you long time.

LostInTranslation
June 13th, 2011, 23:35
Ok that was pretty funny