PDA

View Full Version : Interac Placements Summer/Fall 2011

EMTQueen
May 22nd, 2011, 12:15
The early departure folks should be getting their placements soon, if not now.

Does anybody know what areas need to be filled in (aside from Tohoku)?

Page
May 22nd, 2011, 15:12
Are they telling you guys that there's a lot of need in Tohoku? I can only speak for Miyagi but we really only lost maybe 5 JETs max (guessing, I've only actually heard of 2) that went home for good. Though maybe interac is different. I know in our city we have 3 spots open but that's 'cause the people already had prior plans to change their job from the new school year and they haven't had a chance to fill the positions amidst the madness. I'd imagine that there are maybe a few more open that usual up here but I dunno that going early is an automatic ticket to Tohoku (especially since people from the south peaced out too).
Posted via Mobile Device

jd111
May 22nd, 2011, 19:37
the only reason im thinking tohoku is the most likely, is that intertac told us there were alot of deferals in spring due to the tsunami. i imagine the majority of those deferals were from the most affected areas.

but with interac, you could go literally anywhere in japan! the only information i heard re placements was during my phone interview, which was that they were currently placing people in greater tokyo/kanto or hokkaido. but that probably means nothing, as it was nearly a month ago.

I also was wondering, they say we have to be very flexible in out placement. does that mean, they are just going to give you one choice, and you have to go for it?

i have also stopped reading anything related to interac that is negative.... which seems to be a ton of stuff

Jojo
May 22nd, 2011, 23:33
some of you will likely be heading to niigata, joetsu, toyama as well as tohoku..i hear there are quite a few placements to fill

oneokbunny
May 22nd, 2011, 23:34
If we hear any placement info before we leave I would be under the assumption that it will change before we get on the train to our placements. I think that's what being flexible is all about. I've read a few accounts of placements changing for people at orientation and that was under normal situations. I'd still do research... like I am assuming it will be in Tohoku and looking at the coverage for Softbank and AU in the area.

You will only get the one placement offer. If you turn it down another one will be offered. That's why Interac is more flexible with placement. I believe with JET you get the placement and that's it.

I sent off my offer and everything and haven't heard about the next step. I know I am leaving a little after those who are going in June but I'm nervous about getting the work visa all taken care off before... I wish the US had a working visa for Japan!

JD I hear you about the negative. In the research I did I see a lot of the same complaints with every company. Also... there is that old ESID -_- since it's all down to where you're place and how you personally adapt into the placement I figure most of it is on me to get along with co-workers not freak living out in the middle of nowhere. Though at the same time knowing what is legally right and wrong so if something is really wrong I know where to go about it.

I am still so excited!! Can't wait to get my departure date and get my plane ticket! ^^

jd111
May 23rd, 2011, 19:40
Finished my last exam today. Now to play the waiting game! June 11th results are out(so at least 2 weeks after that lol)

Hopefully no repeats and then boom. Japan!

february1088
May 25th, 2011, 07:29
For the August departure-ees, when should we expect to hear our placements? I need to mail my stuff out to Japan by next month, but im scared that they might not be hold my stuff for too long...

oneokbunny
May 25th, 2011, 14:21
The impression I got from the recruiters was that if all goes as planned and things go on time fall people would be hearing about placement... by July or early July.

Though there is supposed to be something for us to fill out about what we want in a placement and now that i'm starting in the next month or so I don't think I need to fill it out anymore...

I know they say it's quiet between the offer and placement but... with my time line I feel pressure to make sure i get everything they need in... and I have no idea how fast my CoE will get to me to get my visa @_@

EMTQueen
May 25th, 2011, 16:35
I tried going for the summer departure, but got a negative from TPTB because my visa won't be in quick enough. Ah, well, I think I have a second job lined up, so 80-hr. weeks, here I come! At least all the paperwork I needed to send made it to Japan without incident (I've had some issues and bones to pick with USPS lately), so they can start with the visa process.

I do hope we get our placements early July. I would like to get in some research about where I'll be living

february1088
May 26th, 2011, 06:48
EMT Great Sig! The Room is an exceptional movie!

Looking at last year's Interac 2010 thread, I noticed someone say that they got their placement in early June for their August departure...so we can only hope!

If they give you a placement you don't like, and you reject it, I hope they change prefectures for their next placement...I don't want to get a Hokkaido placement and reject it to end up with another Hokkaido placement

Easy_money
May 26th, 2011, 13:07
some of you will likely be heading to niigata, joetsu, toyama as well as tohoku..i hear there are quite a few placements to fill

Joetsu uses Heart now.

Jojo
May 26th, 2011, 15:38
yeah that was just highschool though which is now going back to jet ....

Easy_money
May 26th, 2011, 15:44
Well they brought in a new Heart SHS ALT in April too.

Jojo
May 26th, 2011, 21:09
Well they brought in a new Heart SHS ALT in April too.
well someone has to fill in from April to July right!? i wonder if they're on this site - im sure Heart hasn't told them.

Easy_money
May 27th, 2011, 08:51
The jobs were advertised on Gaijinpot, and it said the contract was only from April - July. Pretty shit if you ask me, but I guess they can transfer elsewhere.

Eliza Danger
June 11th, 2011, 21:10
Hi, I have been lurking on the forum for the past week. But now I have received my offer of employment and my flights were sent to me yesterday from Interac, I decided to sign up. I fly out on June 19th. I would imagine that Tohoku is the designated area from everything that I've heard. As well as hearing back from Tokyo officially, Fukushima being slipped into the likely areas had worried me...

Starting orientation on June 21st in Tokyo (my birthday, hehe!).

Hope to see some of you there!

Page
June 14th, 2011, 14:00
They're not going to put you in a danger zone, relax.

bingowing
June 14th, 2011, 14:38
If they do, just call up the Interac Help Desk and ask for Mr. K. Loggins. He will help you out.

cjlowe5532
June 23rd, 2011, 03:39
I had just made a temporary sister thread to this one when the regular threads became active so lets just give this a bump. Updates since the site has been down anyone?

jd111
June 23rd, 2011, 08:12
wrote a very large reply in the temp forum. its gone now!

Basicly i got offered Marumori 60 km from fukushima, i said no. i signed a contract saying not within 80 km, so no.

I head disguisedrobot is gone to Iwate with a few others that went over last week. Around 8 i think, brits and canadians.

Im leaving on sunday, staying in Iibaraki for at least one night. Might be there for 4 more for orientation. Unless i have to go to my placement for that. the email said both options were possible

oneokbunny
June 23rd, 2011, 11:47
jd you heard of your placement before training? I just assumed you wouldn't hear anything before training.

Update on this end last night got my official start date. July 11th! Still waiting on my CoE to come in to run off to get my visa. Got to get my International Drivers Permit and finish up my TB test. busy busy!

cjlowe5532
June 23rd, 2011, 12:34
I don't think people coming in august are going to hear about their placement if you guys still are not informed. Too bad. I was hoping to here around when people going last year heard, around now.

Jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 14:53
i know all you newbies are getting super excitied about you placements but i can tell you now that its almost 100% that your placement will get changed during training.. i cant think of one person from this years intake that didnt have their initial placement changed at least once

jd111
June 23rd, 2011, 18:27
yeah i got a call on the 19th, which i missed, then another on the 22nd

going to collect my working holiday visa today! and it looks like it has stopped raining! YATA!

also, jojo

your obviously already doing interac.
Do you know the package we are on?

Working Holiday Visa Package

1. Round trip international airfare (paid upfront by Interac or reimbursed with the first pay).

2. Signing bonus - JPY100,000 (paid with first pay)

3. Accommodation provided by Interac:

-set-up costs (key and deposit money) up to JPY250,000

-monthly rent and utilities up to JPY75,000

4. Salary - JPY90,000 per month

is that allowance enough per month? from your expereience?
Say for example, with the cost of the car rental and health insurance?

also how do you find the normal rate, do you manage to put any money away as savings?

Jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 22:51
yeah i got a call on the 19th, which i missed, then another on the 22nd

going to collect my working holiday visa today! and it looks like it has stopped raining! YATA!

also, jojo

your obviously already doing interac.
Do you know the package we are on?

Working Holiday Visa Package

1. Round trip international airfare (paid upfront by Interac or reimbursed with the first pay).

2. Signing bonus - JPY100,000 (paid with first pay)

3. Accommodation provided by Interac:

-set-up costs (key and deposit money) up to JPY250,000

-monthly rent and utilities up to JPY75,000

4. Salary - JPY90,000 per month

is that allowance enough per month? from your experience?
Say for example, with the cost of the car rental and health insurance?

also how do you find the normal rate, do you manage to put any money away as savings?
yep, for a few years now. wow is it really only 90 a month? ive seen/heard people talk of the new packages they have but i didnt realize the salary was cut so much.... that said they have cut it a few years in row now. Not to get too specific but assuming your rent and utilities took the whole 75,000 each month (pretty unlikely) then your still around 70-80,000 yen a month less than what people hired before you are on (!). The flight is nice..and set up costs (apartment) can usually be around 150,000.. but i mean that's only 2 or 300,000 (ish) and your missing out on around double that over a year (obviously not all months of the year are full pay). If you take this package are there any things you have to agree to? (like ill go anywhere you say etc)

jd111
June 23rd, 2011, 23:03
yep, for a few years now. wow is it really only 90 a month? ive seen/heard people talk of the new packages they have but i didnt realize the salary was cut so much.... that said they have cut it a few years in row now. Not to get too specific but assuming your rent and utilities took the whole 75,000 each month (pretty unlikely) then your still around 70-80,000 yen a month less than what people hired before you are on (!). The flight is nice..and set up costs (apartment) can usually be around 150,000.. but i mean that's only 2 or 300,000 (ish) and your missing out on around double that over a year (obviously not all months of the year are full pay). If you take this package are there any things you have to agree to? (like ill go anywhere you say etc)

No, i signed a contract, and then agreed to an email with this

"Please note that those conditions would only apply if you were absolutely flexible with your location preferences (including Northern Japan positions) and prepared to arrive in Japan by mid June, 2011. Please note that these positions will be outside the 80km exclusion zone from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Plant."

I dont mind being flexible, but i am not prepared to put myself at risk to the radiation. I would gladly go to a town or city that had been affected by the tsunami. I volunteered for work in both australia and new zeland after the floods and earthquakes there.

there is an option to change to a different package once i can get the full working visa. I will probably change to that in September.

You will have 2 options at the end of the 1st term at the end of August 2011.

1. You can remain working on a Working Holiday visa, under the above contract conditions, until the completion of your contract in March 2012. If you re-contract for the school year April 2012-March 2013 you will convert to an Instructor visa.

2. You can change to an Instructor visa effective September 1st 2011. In order to change to an Instructor’s visa it is necessary to change the salary situation.

-Salary change from JPY90,000 to full-time ALT salary of minimum of JPY230,000

-You will be responsible for monthly apartment rent and utilities from September 2011.

What is the reference to the box and sand?

cjlowe5532
June 24th, 2011, 03:57
Could you guys change to the regular package in July? Seems like that would be the way to go.

disguisedrobot
June 24th, 2011, 18:19
jd: fussy gaijin! haha. It's interesting how they've told you before you've arrived. Like bunny said, I got the impression none of us were going to find out where we were being placed until we got here. I arrived in my hotel at 11:40 after about nearly 24hrs of travel, door to door. Lying down flat never felt so weird after being pretty much on my ass for the whole period. The entire week I only had about 4 hours sleep each night.

I was in Tokyo for orientation but told me and a few others late on Wednesday we were to leave for Iwate Friday morning. We skipped elementary training because none of us had elementary schools. After a 12 hour day on wed and thurs we left for Iwate. I felt ill all the way through Thursday, I thought it was due to lack of water intake and exhaustion but in the evening I noticed it was something even more sinister in the form of a stomach bug. This continued to haunt me for at least 4 days. Another long day today. Saturday we were sent away to our placements.

Anyway, the following few days were a bit more relaxed. I didn't actually start at my school until yesterday. But I think I got off lightly because the schools had Chutousai (sports event).

starving. going to make food and write some more after i've munched on some CURRY!

disguisedrobot
June 24th, 2011, 23:49
So anyway, it might be worth mentally preparing yourself for the possibility that you might be teaching at start the following week. I think you need at least 2 days to sort your life out (bank account, alien reg card, shopping, showing you schools, meeting schools) though so I can't imagine you starting on Monday.

In regards to changing over to the instructor visa, we Brits have to leave the country and re-enter to change over our visas. It's a cost we have to pay ourselves. I'm heading to South Korea in the summer, I wanted to go there anyway.. It's definitely better to change over because you're expected to pay for your own car insurance and that takes a chunk out of your 90k. I'm not driving so I haven't bothered to remember the cost of insurance out here. A couple of guys were worried that until they change over, it's going to be tough living.

As far as I know, even if you're on the earlier starter pack, it seems like they still pay for your car rental. I spoke to a chap earlier and he doesn't know anything about paying for the lease on the car, just the insurance. If you're on a driving contract and in the right area, you'll get the full 250k pay. This is listed on the seminar slides.

I recommend bringing at least £1000 with you. AT LEAST. You can probably getting away with buying bare necessities until you're paid.

About placements, one person was told he was going to a place in Tokyo, when he got to his placement branch he was given an entirely different placement, but within the same prefecture. 2 others didn't even know their placements until pretty much near the end of the training period at their prefectural branch.

ZeroX585
June 25th, 2011, 01:11
I am under the impression that the current discussion is about finding your placement as a summer candidate. For those who may know.... Will the fall intake know their placements at training like the summer candidates? Or will we know beforehand? Or.... ESID?

I guess I am excited like the summer intake fellows were, but I guess I am getting a little anxious about all the waiting. It can't be helped I suppose.

oneokbunny
June 25th, 2011, 01:21
I can only imagine what the Fall people are going through! I had a hard enough time waiting the couple weeks as my CoE was being worked out and hearing nothing. That time period is a lot longer for Fall intake.

What was said at Richelle during the seminar was that they hoped (fingers crossed) to get placement to the Fall intakes by the end of July. I remember thinking that my JET friends would already be heading over and I'll just be hearing my placement ^^

For someone who is heading over in a couple weeks... haven't heard anything about placement. I did fill out yet another online resume which I assume is what they are going to use to shop me around to the BoEs. I also received emails introducing the staff as well. Have yet to do the Japanese Level check though.

I am currently waiting for my CoE to come this morning via FedEx so I can run off to the Japanese Consulate in SF ^^

robot: Sounds like even with a stomach bug things are running well enough! How did the apartment turn out? What hotel did you guys stay at for training? Since I'm coming in on the 7th and my orientation isn't until monday the 11th I wanted to see how much it would cost to stay in the training hotel ^^;;

ZeroX585
June 25th, 2011, 01:31
Yeah.... its definitely not what I would call too pleasurable in the waiting process....

It has been about 2 weeks since they received all of the required documents. I believe I don't need to send in anything else, as I haven't been contacted from them.

I am waiting for my Japanese level check, but have not received an email yet for instructions. No sweat there I suppose.

Yes.... I am trying not to get bothered by the waiting, as I have plenty of things to do for pre departure prep, but it can't be helped sometimes....

I am also trying really hard not to get excited as its still such a long ways off until departure, but.... also can't be helped.

disguisedrobot
June 27th, 2011, 22:20
Expect it to be ESID Zero.

I'm at a Leopalace at the moment. It's ok. The good points: internet right off the bat, your living/sleeping room is an alright size with a reasonable amount of storage space. The bad points: 1. the kitchen is diabolical, 2. there's nowhere to put any kitchen wear and food, 3. there's nowhere to put anything in the shower room, 4. the walls are indeed quite thin.

Let me elaborate:

1. The kitchen consists of 2 hobs and a sink and they're right next to each other. There's no room to prepare anything at all. I'm constantly juggling things around when I'm cooking. You really need a cutting board that's big enough to rest over the the width of the sink. But even after you get one of those, you still have the problem with deciding where to put things you've chopped up. I'm putting everything in bowls and stacking them either in the sink or on top of a shelf on top of my cereal boxes or rice cooker.

2. There's a an alright amount of space under the sink but I've got cleaning stuff and cooking, kitchen wear and food in there. It can probably fit but you'll probably be knocking it over all the time when grabbing things. I've used a cupboard that's supposed to be for food to stash my kitchen wear and food, leaving the cupboard under the sink for cooking and cleaning gear.

3. This isn't a major problem really, but with my 2 bottles of cleansing stuff and a bar of soap on the sink it leaves me no room to put my toothbrush and tooth paste. Nothing sticks on the walls so buying something with suckers to stick onto the walls is out of the question. This is because the walls are textured so it doesn't stick. I've stuck a flannel hanger on the mirror instead and kept my toothbrush and other things in my wash bag which is hanging from a drying rail.

4. luckily my neighbours seem quite quiet. I had no real idea (and still haven't) about how loud I can have my music. I was skyping till past 11pm talking and laughing what I would now consider pretty loudly. You can hear coughs, things moving around, sliding doors open and when I was sitting on the can I could hear music coming through either the wall or vent. I have a feeling I've been pretty loud because I swear my neighbour is making more and more noise.

Oh! Number 5: I'm on the second floor and there's shit all space to take off your shoes. As you come in the door you literally have one size uk10-11 width to take off your shoes because then the stairs start.

Some of them aren't too bad really, just an annoyance, but I think people should know about this before coming. The worst part is the damned kitchen. It's honestly really crap. I'm thinking about moving out to hopefully a bigger and maybe cheaper apartment after my year's up.

The great plus side is coming semi furnished, it'll save you loadsa money and you can prioritise in getting food, kitchen gear and bedding over other items.

iknowmyabc
June 28th, 2011, 00:34
@ diguisedrobot How's teaching and daily life been? Managed to get phone and stuff up and running pretty quickly? Interac been helpful with that?

Going from what you said the accommodation sounds similar to what I lived in when I was in Japan as an exchange student. The shower was the size of a cubicle so I could take a poop and have a shower at the same time, not that I ever did ^^ lol

Page
June 28th, 2011, 14:27
Really depends on where you are. Some interacs in my city have houses for whole families to themselves. (But sorry I think all their spots are taken!)

jd111
June 29th, 2011, 22:14
i am having a pretty great time so far!

hotel is really nice, bed is a decent size and the breakfast is good too.

Training has been fun so far, and all the training staff are very friendly.

The other recruits im with are all really nice too! we just got back from okonomiyaki in shibuya!

I still dont know where i am going ,and i heard that one guy from last weeks training is still in the hotel, with no placement ,but he is getting his accom paid for, and is earning his salary as normal.

chances are this could happen to me too!
everyone else has a placement!

cjlowe5532
June 30th, 2011, 06:20
i am having a pretty great time so far!

hotel is really nice, bed is a decent size and the breakfast is good too.

Training has been fun so far, and all the training staff are very friendly.

The other recruits im with are all really nice too! we just got back from okonomiyaki in shibuya!

I still dont know where i am going ,and i heard that one guy from last weeks training is still in the hotel, with no placement ,but he is getting his accom paid for, and is earning his salary as normal.

chances are this could happen to me too!
everyone else has a placement!

That would be nice. It'd be like a paid vacation.

UPGRAYEDD
June 30th, 2011, 14:51
i signed a contract saying not within 80 km, so no.

Welcome to Japan: the country where contracts with signatures on them don't mean shit.

disguisedrobot
June 30th, 2011, 16:27
Yeah, I know some people who have really big and nice apartments. I'm gonna be here for a while so I wanna bag myself one of them!

Glad to hear you're having a good time jd. Hiroshima is the place to be for okonomiyaki! I'd have loved to have spent a few days in Tokyo chilling out. The first few days are pretty intense.

abc: The shower here isn't too badly sized and there's a fair bit of storage in your living room/bedroom/ dining room, it's just the kitchen. I know someone who's on a homestay at the moment, not sure what the place it like but they're a nice family.

I can't really comment on the teaching stuff since I've not really done much of it at the moment. My first school pretty much prepared the worksheet for me and I just gave my introduction then the kids had to listen and write down answers (name, age etc). I did something similar at my other school and I've marked a fair bit of work. I think it's because they haven't really done an SLP for me yet. They were pretty much given to me the day before but it's all been really simple stuff which not muchwith next to no prep needed. The first 2 days I was just gave and intro, then observed lessons, doing a bit of participation by checking students' work. One day I had 2 25min lessons and that was it. I spent the rest of the day studying Japanese and getting RSI in my legs because there's no leg room under the desks and you can't adjust the heights of the seats.

At my second school, which I've only done 2 days so far, have given me my SLP, I did the preparing for it but then the school has done their own lesson similar to my first school so I just did that. I have a few lessons next week so maybe I'll be given more responsibility.

In a way it's kinda ok being eased into it, but then I am sitting down on my ass pretty much the entire day.

Ok, regarding the phone.. it's been a complete nightmare! I'm not sure how much you know about getting phones over here, but basically, I want to get a smartphone but I have to pay upfront for the phone (iphone = 46k yen), but I don't want to fork out that amount of money in one go. Now, if you decide to upgrade it, you will have to pay upfront for your new handset as well. I plan to upgrade it at some point so I don't particularly want to spend around 90k on phones.

They told me that if I had my health insurance card and a utilities receipt I could go on monthly payments (around 5k a month and you can upgrade for free after 6 months), but when I got there and after sitting in the shop for over an hour (for the second time) they said I couldn't go on monthly payments and had to pay upfront. They didn't really explain why, but I gathered it's because when they first looked at my utility bill they noticed it was under a different name, then they looked at my alien reg certificate and they said only valid for a year. They need to see that you're going to be for for long term so wasn't going to offer me the monthly instalment option.

This was all with Softbank. At the end, they asked if I had a credit card or a Japanese driver's license. I think with these I have a better chance of being able to pay monthly because the assistant said it will "probably" help. However, I have neither. I think a driver's license is pretty easy for Brits to obtain so I might have it changed over.

Anyway, this is all because I want to pay monthly for my phone. If you don't mind paying one lump sum for the phone then it's piss easy. If you go for a pre pay phone then that's piss easy too.

Interac linked us to a guy they use to who dishes out iphones to foreigners in Japan on a monthly contract. I've emailed them twice and not heard back so I didn't go for them. I know someone who's ordered a pre pay phone through them and got it within 2 days. Their website hasn't been working for days so I'm not really sure what's going on with them.

Jojo
June 30th, 2011, 20:13
Interac linked us to a guy they use to who dishes out iphones to foreigners in Japan on a monthly contract. I've emailed them twice and not heard back so I didn't go for them. I know someone who's ordered a pre pay phone through them and got it within 2 days. Their website hasn't been working for days so I'm not really sure what's going on with them.
DO NOT GO WITH THOSE DOUCHES! seriously !

pay for a phone upfront or manage with a prepaid until you can get your license or a credit card sorted. You may also be able to pay with a foreign based visa card.

Hikari
June 30th, 2011, 20:20
when i got my iphone i got it because of my foreign `credit` card - but it was just a visa bank card. but they didn`t put anything on it, i pay for my phone monthly.

disguisedrobot
July 1st, 2011, 19:15
Jojo: Please enlighten us on why they're rubbish. They would have been my very last resort so I wasn't really planning on going with them.

pay for a phone upfront

That's the thing though, I can't really afford to pay for the phone upfront. I also would like to upgrade at some point so I don't want to pay for 2 phones upfront. If I go pre paid can I upgrade the contract and phone?

Hikari: what do you mean by they didn't put anything on it? Like no charges are coming out of it? I'd prefer to avoid using my UK card here because I don't want to be hit with the exchange rates. I showed them my UK credit card but they didn't even say anything so I assumed you had to use a Japanese one.

Jojo
July 2nd, 2011, 10:18
really poor service - things like getting accused of not paying when you have (has happened a number of times), slow turn around on questions, waiting 2 weeks for a temp replacement phone and getting sent one that was broken ... and then if that isnt enough they literally buy the phones and contracts from softbank and then sub-rent them to you (as softbank wont do one year contracts and wants u to have a cc) so you are paying more than you would from softbank for the same thing plus some shit service.

disguisedrobot
July 3rd, 2011, 20:25
Cool, thanks for that. I know someone who went with them recently. They sent him a phone in a colour that wasn't even his first or second choice when he ordered it. I was wondering if they were more expensive than softbank, but I couldn't get the chance to check because their website's down.

GamesofLife
July 4th, 2011, 17:55
Hi guys, don't mean to interrupt the thread but just wanted to say hello. Been lurkin on the site for a long time and have signed on now. Got accepted by interac and am heading to Japan fairly soon. Thanks for all the advice and I'm sure you'll be seeing me around now.

cjlowe5532
July 5th, 2011, 00:46
Hey did those of you coming in august just get a bunch of email last night about placement and getting your COE? Just curious.

Minxie1418
July 5th, 2011, 02:16
Hey did those of you coming in august just get a bunch of email last night about placement and getting your COE? Just curious.

I did, yeah. Apparently my CoE is estimated to be issued around August 1. :) And from what it sounds like they could be sending out placement information soon... at least I hope.

cjlowe5532
July 5th, 2011, 03:51
I got the same but my CoE is estimated to come the 21st of this month. Were you late sending anything in?

Cant wait to hear about placements.

Minxie1418
July 5th, 2011, 08:31
No, I was early sending everything in. They told me it takes 22 days to get the CoE which would be the 21st as well for me, however their estimate was August 1st. I guess that would be the latest it could come...

cjlowe5532
July 5th, 2011, 08:49
My application was lodged the 16th of June (light blue date) and the date that they expect to receive it is the 21st (yellow date.) Yeah, definitely not 22 days in between those dates. I suppose they don't want to get yelled at if comes a little later so they gave some leeway.

If those extra dots you put at the end of your comment signify worry, I would not bother. It will all work out in the end I'm sure. We are all in the same bout when it comes to the waiting.

So what seminar did you wind up at?

Minxie1418
July 5th, 2011, 09:05
Nah, not worried. :) It'll come when it comes. Right now I'm just really curious about my placement. I'd love to be spending my time now researching the area I'm going to instead of simply waiting around, lol.
(Oh and I was at a DC/Arlington seminar)

GamesofLife
July 5th, 2011, 12:34
I just received a bunch of emails the other night as well and was told to expect my visa stuff to be done by August 1st. Also got some email from the placement department...seemed to indicate that they would contact me about placements fairly shortly.

EMTQueen
July 5th, 2011, 18:25
Nah, not worried. :) It'll come when it comes. Right now I'm just really curious about my placement. I'd love to be spending my time now researching the area I'm going to instead of simply waiting around, lol.
(Oh and I was at a DC/Arlington seminar)

I was at the same one, but which date?

And I got the same Aug. 1 estimation. Cutting a little too close for my tastes.

I hope our tentative placement and departure info will come in soon so I will at least be able to finally answer those two questions.

amz_harajuku
July 5th, 2011, 22:19
I got an Aug 4th estimation but as someone above stated when it comes it comes, does anyone have any idea when training will begin?

Minxie1418
July 6th, 2011, 01:02
I was at the same one, but which date?

April 30 :) - at the Embassy Suites hotel.

cjlowe5532
July 6th, 2011, 03:39
I got an Aug 4th estimation but as someone above stated when it comes it comes, does anyone have any idea when training will begin?

Training will very depending on where and when you get placed.

EMTQueen
July 6th, 2011, 15:15
April 30 :) - at the Embassy Suites hotel.

Oh, I was at the April 16th one at Embassy Suites.

EMTQueen
July 8th, 2011, 10:43
Heard that the calls for placements started yesterday. Hope everybody gets something close to their top choice!

cjlowe5532
July 8th, 2011, 11:26
Heard that the calls for placements started yesterday. Hope everybody gets something close to their top choice!

Just curious as to how you heard this?

EMTQueen
July 8th, 2011, 13:06
Interac employee on the Facebook group.

oneokbunny
July 8th, 2011, 15:29
I find it kind of funny that I'm sitting in the hotel for training waiting for it to start on Tuesday and I still don't know placement lol

Jojo
July 8th, 2011, 15:33
no its not lol. have fun at training!

DandeLion
July 9th, 2011, 18:04
Hi Everyone!

I am kind of in the same boat with my CoE and everything, but for everyone who is curious about the 22 days, its 22 WORKING days. Meaning that weekends don't count, only the weekdays.

Also a bit of advice, should shouldn't get your own apartment until you are in Japan and at your school. Apparently they will change your placement a lot and if you decide to rent not with Interac, then it will cost a bit more. And then if you have to change your apartment because your location change...well that would just suck and you would be rather broke!

Thanks for the update on placement calls! I am really looking forward to that. But then I think they already have me placed...

DandeLion
July 12th, 2011, 19:55
Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me how long it took to get a placement call after you were sent the placement introduction email?

Page
July 13th, 2011, 08:46
I'd say read through the thread to get an idea!

cjlowe5532
July 14th, 2011, 01:44
Anyone got any news? I've still yet to get a placement.

Minxie1418
July 14th, 2011, 02:11
A couple of Fall people have gotten their placements - they've said so on the Interac Members facebook page. Calls have started going out in the U.S. and U.K.
Keep an eye on your phone for a call with a +81 area code number! :)

cjlowe5532
July 14th, 2011, 04:30
Thanks for the update. Whenever y'all get your placements be sure and post them here as well.

lilaclavenderblue
July 16th, 2011, 12:32
Sadly I didn't make it through the interview. I thought it went well but I didn't get my placement. So that goes to show that making it to the seminar doesn't give you a shoe in.

iknowmyabc
July 17th, 2011, 17:41
Anyone got any news? I've still yet to get a placement.

Still haven't had any info or call on placement yet. I'm hoping I get some sort of contact this coming week as it seems others have had theirs.

cjlowe5532
July 18th, 2011, 07:13
Still haven't had any info or call on placement yet. I'm hoping I get some sort of contact this coming week as it seems others have had theirs.

Don't worry about it, I'm still on that same boat with you. If I don't hear anything about placement this week I might end up actually getting my visa before I get my placement.

Where are you seeing that others have gotten theirs? Don't say facebook. I don't want to have to register on there just to see for myself.

ZeroX585
July 18th, 2011, 07:41
Don't worry about it, I'm still on that same boat with you. If I don't hear anything about placement this week I might end up actually getting my visa before I get my placement.

Where are you seeing that others have gotten theirs? Don't say facebook. I don't want to have to register on there just to see for myself.

Yeah... don't feel too bad. I haven't got a placement either. One guy who went with me to our interview session got his placement already, so I don't know what exact order they are using. I figure sometime this week or next week if they're going to call us.... As already mentioned... I'm getting my CoE tomorrow, and at this rate... I could also very well receive my visa before I know my placement...

From what I heard on Facebook, there were about 200 people who needed to be notified. If I figure that they notify about 10-15 people a day, you can see about 2-3 weeks to go through everyone. (this is an assumption based on how many people on Facebook have been notified).

Even if you don't like Facebook, it probably wouldn't hurt in the case of finding other ALT's when you are in Japan too. Although I do enjoy my internet anonymity..... it may not be a bad thing in this case..... If I have to notify someone in the Facebook group, at least I will have that to fall back on.

On a side note.... just as everyone who hasn't been placed yet.... doing my best to not get excited until I get there. The suspense is killing me about my placement though...

Minxie1418
July 18th, 2011, 08:17
Yeah... don't feel too bad. I haven't got a placement either. One guy who went with me to our interview session got his placement already, so I don't know what exact order they are using. I figure sometime this week or next week if they're going to call us.... As already mentioned... I'm getting my CoE tomorrow, and at this rate... I could also very well receive my visa before I know my placement...

A girl who was at my interview also got her placement and I'm still waiting for mine, too. AND she got the placement I wanted. :lol: I'm doubly anxious to find out my placement now because I think there's only supposed to be like 2 or 3 spots open at that city.

cjlowe5532
July 18th, 2011, 08:21
You guys think the interac staff got off this holiday monday?

iknowmyabc
July 18th, 2011, 08:23

Previous forum posters mentioning that they've heard of ppl already getting their placements so I assumed that some have already been told. Guess it'll be good to join the Interac facebook group to hopefully keep a check on others progress.

My thinking is that location preference plays some part in how easily and early you get assigned a placement. I assume Tokyo and northern Honshu placements are in plentiful supply at the moment. I stated a high preference for Central Japan but not holidng out much hope on getting it. I had my seminar interview way back in February!! Seems so long ago lol, I just want to know where I'll be going and prepare!

Minxie1418
July 18th, 2011, 08:27
You guys think the interac staff got off this holiday monday?
The people who work for Interac said on the facebook page that they did have a holiday.

cjlowe5532
July 18th, 2011, 08:31
The people who work for Interac said on the facebook page that they did have a holiday.

Well damn. Here is hoping for tomorrow.

Jojo
July 18th, 2011, 10:57
its a public holiday here so yes

iknowmyabc
July 20th, 2011, 17:28
Got two emails today. The second placement info email that they have sent out with a few pdf's. The latter that I should expect a call from tomorrow onward for my Japanese level check. I put down my level as intermediate but my Japanese has gone downhill in the past year. Anybody have ideas on what sort of questions they'll ask?

ZeroX585
July 20th, 2011, 22:21
Got two emails today. The second placement info email that they have sent out with a few pdf's. The latter that I should expect a call from tomorrow onward for my Japanese level check. I put down my level as intermediate but my Japanese has gone downhill in the past year. Anybody have ideas on what sort of questions they'll ask?

I honestly wish I could tell you, but I am in the same boat.

I got two emails last night too. As I also put intermediate Japanese level down, it was a little bit of a surprise to hear about a confirmation email.... so.... I guess what you should do, as I will be doing, is basically switching into 'Japanese mode' until the call is made.

Since I haven't been placed yet, I have a feeling that placement is going to be based on how well my Japanese level is. I imagine the same will be for you too. Unfortunately, there isn't too much use in overstressing yourself in remembering Japanese. If you know it, it will come to do. If you don't know it, no sweat anyway.

That's how I'm approaching the situation.....

cjlowe5532
July 21st, 2011, 00:08
Same set of emails here as well. Just remember the more you worry the worse you will become. I'm just going to act like I have not gotten that email at all.

Hinesh1
July 21st, 2011, 02:36
I don't speak a word of Japanese but I'm still in the same position - received the 2nd email this morning saying I should get a call soon. I'm dying to book my flight and get out there!

iknowmyabc
July 21st, 2011, 19:37
At least I got my Certificate of eligibility today so I can get that done within the next few days. Just take the CoE, 2x passport photos and passport to the embassy, fill in a few forms and should get the visa sent within a few days right?

jv507
July 22nd, 2011, 00:17
At least I got my Certificate of eligibility today so I can get that done within the next few days. Just take the CoE, 2x passport photos and passport to the embassy, fill in a few forms and should get the visa sent within a few days right?

When was you application lodged? I have my placement in Sakai, Osaka prefecture. Very excited! I got my departure date today, I will be in Osaka for training on the 25th!

cjlowe5532
July 22nd, 2011, 00:23
When was you application lodged? I have my placement in Sakai, Osaka prefecture. Very excited! I got my departure date today, I will be in Osaka for training on the 25th!

Lucky bastard. You got not only your placement but your departure date as well. Waiting is not so much fun anymore.

iknowmyabc
July 22nd, 2011, 00:39
Yeah, the waiting sucks and expecting to pay quite a hefty air fare the longer this drags out :(

@jv507 Do you speak any Japanese? Congrats on your placement, sounds like a good area. I'm hoping I get somewhere around Osaka too but not holding out much hope. My application was lodged on the 12th. Thats what it says on my CoE anyway.

I'm assuming we're still waiting on ours since they got to check our Jp level and see if its safe to throw us out in the middle of nowhere :|

jv507
July 22nd, 2011, 01:05
No I don't speak Japanese (apart from going through Japanese for busy people). I only know some basic phrases but am cramming at the moment!

My CofE was logged on the 28/06/11 so I am still waiting, should get it in good time for the 25th though (the e-mail said it was expected on the 1st August). Also my TB check is coming back soon.

Flights are £540 from Manchester to Kansai International with Emarites. I use a really useful company to find me the best deal worldwideflights.com. Ring them up and they tell you the cheapest route. I simply went directly to the airline afterwards and therefore saved myself £80 from thier quoted price! I highly recommend them, I've used them before and saved lots of cash! But yes, see what they find and book the deal yourself despite what they offer you. Also if you do go with them (and not the online price) you can negotiate some kind of deal!

Good Luck

iknowmyabc
July 22nd, 2011, 01:21
Think I'm right with assuming that I along with others who are waiting for placement info won't know until after we get our Jp check call.

Thanks for the advice will come in useful when I know placement and dates, whenever that might be... :roll: Thanks for reminding me as well, best get my TB test sorted out soon!!

GamesofLife
July 22nd, 2011, 02:29
Yeah the waiting is killing me and it's making it hard on my bosses as well. Our whole company is being rearranged right now and I can't give them any definite departure date. Anyone know when the placement calls will actually be completed... I had heard someone say by the end of this week but i'm not sure how accurate that is?

cjlowe5532
July 22nd, 2011, 03:36
Got my COE today but no placement yet. I really hope you are right about them finishing this week. since it is just about to be friday morning in tokyo in four hours we should know soon enough if you are correct.

ZeroX585
July 22nd, 2011, 10:35
Think I'm right with assuming that I along with others who are waiting for placement info won't know until after we get our Jp check call.

Thanks for the advice will come in useful when I know placement and dates, whenever that might be... :roll: Thanks for reminding me as well, best get my TB test sorted out soon!!

Well.... I got my placement call, before I got my Japanese call.

Looks like I'll be in Fukushima (A safe distance away it seems), but I have not received an arrival date yet.

I was a little apprehensive at first, but I think it is going to be ok. I'm about 70 miles away from the problem area, so I think it'll be ok.

But yes... it is a very inaka placement. I honestly don't mind at all, as I think its for the best in my case. According to Facebook, there are two other ALT's hired for the area I will be in.

So for those worrying about placement in Fukushima, I think they really wont put you in a danger zone. Plus, even if the situation proves to not be healthy, one can always leave after the first contract and go somewhere else in Japan.

At this rate... got my CoE sent off, should get my visa next week...... The suspense is beginning to build....

cjlowe5532
July 22nd, 2011, 10:48
Well.... I got my placement call, before I got my Japanese call.

Looks like I'll be in Fukushima (A safe distance away it seems), but I have not received an arrival date yet.

I was a little apprehensive at first, but I think it is going to be ok. I'm about 70 miles away from the problem area, so I think it'll be ok.

But yes... it is a very inaka placement. I honestly don't mind at all, as I think its for the best in my case. According to Facebook, there are two other ALT's hired for the area I will be in.

So for those worrying about placement in Fukushima, I think they really wont put you in a danger zone. Plus, even if the situation proves to not be healthy, one can always leave after the first contract and go somewhere else in Japan.

At this rate... got my CoE sent off, should get my visa next week...... The suspense is beginning to build....

What time did they call? I'm sure once I get my placement all of my suspense will evaporate (in a good way.) Anyway, congratulations. I'm actually hoping for a rule placement over an urban one.

ZeroX585
July 22nd, 2011, 12:08
What time did they call? I'm sure once I get my placement all of my suspense will evaporate (in a good way.) Anyway, congratulations. I'm actually hoping for a rule placement over an urban one.

It was about 5PM my time, so it was just about when they opened their office up for the day.

At what I've heard repeatedly from Interac, is that a majority of placements will be Inaka. Only a few I've heard have gotten places like Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc.

I would probably bet you will get a rural placement. Not sure where exactly they will put you, or even throw out a guess, but.... take a look at their prefectural offices and you may be able to guess a spot. I know alot of places have been southern so far, so I was a bit surprised I got put in the north.

GamesofLife
July 22nd, 2011, 14:01
Just out of curiosity is anyone else still waiting on their placement? It's getting pretty late now and i'm starting to get a little bit apprehensive. Oh the waiting game is no fun

iknowmyabc
July 22nd, 2011, 17:05
Still waiting on placement and Jp check calls. Looks like we'll have to wait till after the weekend now at the very least :mad:

jd111
July 23rd, 2011, 17:01
I just want everyone to know, that Interac are full of shit. If they tell anyone that you will be able to secure a loan in your first week, its BS.

Ive been here a month now, and I havent seen a single yen. I was told id be looked after, else i wouldnt have come. Last week they said it would be this week, same again yesterday, they are pack of grade A cunts.

ZeroX585
July 23rd, 2011, 23:44
I just want everyone to know, that Interac are full of shit. If they tell anyone that you will be able to secure a loan in your first week, its BS.

Ive been here a month now, and I havent seen a single yen. I was told id be looked after, else i wouldnt have come. Last week they said it would be this week, same again yesterday, they are pack of grade A cunts.

Ouch! You got in on the early intake right? They didn't give you the loan yet? That is interesting...... I am partially relying on the loan myself....

How much did you request for the loan? Do you think they're having difficulty with the money, due to the current setup of early starters and August starters? Do you think that the early position may have put you into a not so desirable spot?

When I looked up the job listing for the early start, it seemed like you'd get (most) everything paid for, but your pay would be reduced for a while. I don't know if this would have any bearing (or if it should), but... I didn't go for the early intake.

That still sucks pretty hard though. I am sure you have done so, but... I would definitely start making a ruckus.

jd111
July 23rd, 2011, 23:55
I got quite a decent placement in the end. Im only an hour and a half from tokyo, and right by the sea with some niiiiiiiice beaches!

I havent lost the head yet, i dont want to start of being a prick, but if it goes on for another week, ill have to go mad. Ill make sure to send plenty of emails this week though!

other than that, i must ad, its been pretty good so far, the training in tokyo was excellent, and like i said my placement isnt bad!

best of luck to everyone!

ZeroX585
July 23rd, 2011, 23:57
I got quite a decent placement in the end. Im only an hour and a half from tokyo, and right by the sea with some niiiiiiiice beaches!

I havent lost the head yet, i dont want to start of being a prick, but if it goes on for another week, ill have to go mad. Ill make sure to send plenty of emails this week though!

other than that, i must ad, its been pretty good so far, the training in tokyo was excellent, and like i said my placement isnt bad!

best of luck to everyone!

That's good at least. I figure that my placement is going to be nice, aside of the fact that I'm 110km away form the reactors...... But according to maps, it seems to be in a safe zone. I'm not gonna worry about it.

I am a little jealous of a beach placement though..... Its been a long time since I've lived near the ocean.

Hikari
July 24th, 2011, 01:57
That's good at least. I figure that my placement is going to be nice, aside of the fact that I'm 110km away form the reactors...... But according to maps, it seems to be in a safe zone. I'm not gonna worry about it.

I am a little jealous of a beach placement though..... Its been a long time since I've lived near the ocean.

Lol! 110 is fiiiiine

ZeroX585
July 24th, 2011, 02:30
Lol! 110 is fiiiiine

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maps I've seen don't even have the area I'm in listed as having any radiation detected. Should be quite alright.

Parents were freaking out a little bit, but I reassured them its ok.....

disguisedrobot
July 24th, 2011, 15:47
Sucks to hear that you're having problems with getting the loan. I know a few people who've had to take it out on my intake and they got theirs pretty quick.

At least you've got a nice placement!

Did you have a guy called Jodie doing your training? A new ALT in city who's been here 2 weeks said he's quit.

oneokbunny
July 24th, 2011, 16:03
I wanted to add a bit to the whole loan situation.

I came in through training the week of the 12th and still sitting in a hotel and moving into my apartment tomorrow. I had almost no money coming over and was counting to get the loan ASAP like i'm sure most did. I will get it on the 5th of August. Even though i'm in a predicament I found both the Tokyo office and my local branch office ready and willing to help me out until I get the loan.

I was also told by Denis in Tokyo that I would get the signing bonus at the end of this month but from everyone else it seems to be with the first paycheck along with the payment for training as well. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

@disguisedrobot: Jodie quit? that would be why he wasn't at my training session I guess ^^;;; Hopefully that means he's off to greater and better things.

jd111
July 24th, 2011, 16:14
yea i hear he quit, he was a nice enough bloke, but a bit of a waffler!

I just did my last shop there, im down to just over 1000 yen. tis all part of the adventure i suppose!

I have to say though, im happy enough to be where i am, I do kendo, and its massive here, so at least im not bored!
Its a nice enough city, but its kind of weird, there is no central location, its all spread out on a big long road. with housing all around that. So its a bit of a pain to get around without a car!

cjlowe5532
July 25th, 2011, 08:59
I guess "soon" to the placement team means in a month's time or more.

ZeroX585
July 25th, 2011, 13:26
I guess "soon" to the placement team means in a month's time or more.

Perhaps...... I just got my Japanese proficiency call.... I think I did pretty good overall, but I forgot how to say a few things, and... I didn't know a few words the lady asked.

It was pretty fun though. The questions overall, are pretty dang simple.

Hinesh1
July 25th, 2011, 17:30
I just got the following email. Anyone received the same and/or have any ideas what I should do? I've handed in my notice in my current position, even recruited my successor, bought everything I need for Japan, etc etc.

Dear ALT,

We appreciate that you have been waiting patiently now for news of your relocation to Japan. So it is with regret that we are writing to advise you of your current status with Interac Group, and your available placement options and what this means for you now and in the future.

Firstly let me reassure you that you do have employment in Japan with Interac; unfortunately however your arrival time will need to be delayed until next year. The reason for this quite simply is that the number of applicants has exceeded the number of positions available for overseas candidates.

The company will continue to meet our commitment to you by providing you with employment but not until April, 2012.
Some of you may ask, “Why am I the person being asked to defer”? This is not to be seen as a negative reflection of you as an employee of Interac but as a direct result of our current needs and/or your own specific requests and skill set.
While it cannot be guaranteed every year we have last minute positions which become available with new clients, people who decide that teaching is not the career choice they had envisioned and in rare cases people that do not pass orientation. These positions could arise anywhere around the country and if you are interested in accepting such a position if and when it becomes available please advise us by return mail. Once again we emphasize that even if you do agree to come to Japan at short notice there are no guarantees that this will happen and it will require you to be completely flexible on location and type of assignment.

We know you will be disappointed with this news but we have explored all possible eventualities and we believe that this is the most practical for you.

disguisedrobot
July 25th, 2011, 22:02
He did waffle a bit but I think he made training really entertaining. It's gonna be hard for them to find someone like him again.

Just over 1000 yen!? that's gonna be real tough living man! My place is an absolute pain to get around without a car. Everything in my town is really spread out and it makes shopping really irritating because I have to lug everything back to my apartment by hand. There's a town centre here but it's completely dead, everyone just shops in super stores away from the centre.

Hinesh1: Given your current situation, that email doesn't sound good to me at all. You can try giving them a call to tell them about your situation, but realistically if there's no placements then they won't be able to fit you in anywhere at all. Maybe you can ask your current employer to keep you on even if it's part time hours?

iknowmyabc
July 26th, 2011, 00:00
@Hinesh1 I'm really sorry to hear that. That sucks so bad.

I still don't have a clue whats going on with mine. Got my CoE, no placement call, no level check and no deferral email. I'm going to assume its just a matter of time before I get the same email.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 00:27
I had my level check last night and I got an e-mail asking me to be an alternate. It was a lot like the one posted above but it gave me an option to be an alternate. I have accepted. I guess my preference of "the most rule or isolated location" was difficult for them to find.

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 00:42
I've sent a very long reply email and told them I expect them to reverse their decision within 48 hours. There was never any indication that this situation could arise, and every bit of communication stated 'this fall' or 'mid to late August'.

I've literally finished preparing (a month early!) for moving to Japan and then to Australia from Easter, and have spent loads on getting everything I need for this job and beyond, and making arrangements for Christmas, Easter, and for some friends to come out and visit. I've even recruited my successor in my current position, turned down another job offer, and...so much more that I could go on for ever. It's absolutely ridiculous that there hasn't even been one sentence to suggest that this could happen.

Minxie1418
July 26th, 2011, 00:48
I got the same email as Hinesh. :(

I replied saying I'd happily accept any placement that opens up unexpectedly, and I also added that I believe my Japanese skill level has improved to intermediate since I first applied. I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 00:51
All you guys got pushed back? The word alternate was not in your e-mails? The must have really over over estimated their contracts.

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 01:02
@cjlowe5532 What do they mean by alternate? Are they offering you an alternative location or...?

@Minxie1418 I hope they get back to you with something positive. I didn't mention that option because the chances of getting something last minute are either very small as there are probably quite a few people on this 'waiting list', or very impractical (very little notice period, very short contract period, CofE could run out by then, etc.)

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 01:08
@cjlowe5532 What do they mean by alternate? Are they offering you an alternative location or...?

@Minxie1418 I hope they get back to you with something positive. I didn't mention that option because the chances of getting something last minute are either very small as there are probably quite a few people on this 'waiting list', or very impractical (very little notice period, very short contract period, CofE could run out by then, etc.)

My email had this second option.

2. You come to Japan as an "alternate".
What being an “alternate” basically means is that you come to Japan and attend training as normal, after training you are fit and ready to fill a position that will become available for any number of reasons.
After your training program is completed you would wait for a position to become available. You will be given a contract and paid a salary as if you were working in a school. During the short period before a position crops up, we may ask you to do some short teaching assignments and non-teaching related tasks in our office.
We would also arrange a semi-furnished apartment for you in the Tokyo area where you would stay temporarily and pay rent (the same as assigned teachers) until you move to your position location. In the case of the temporary apartment there are no start-up costs, key money or deposit, you only pay rent for the days that you actually live there. The apartments come with everything you require except cooking utensils (which you will need to purchase at some point anyway).

iknowmyabc
July 26th, 2011, 01:16
Still haven't heard or received anything back from Interac. Stuck in Limbo at the moment.

Also when did you guys apply? I had my seminar back in February and I will be mightily peeved if they tell me now that I don't have a job because of their incompetence.

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 01:19
That's a really good 2nd option! I'd happily accept that and would love to work in a Japanese office, even if only for a short period of time.

However, our email only had what I copied earlier. No option but to defer the placement until April - which for me isn't an option unfortunately. Perhaps they have given you this option because you know some Japanese? I didn't speak any before applying.

I hated playing the waiting game for so long, I wouldn't stop searching for flights! Now I'd rather be back in limbo!

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 01:27
That's a really good 2nd option! I'd happily accept that and would love to work in a Japanese office, even if only for a short period of time.

However, our email only had what I copied earlier. No option but to defer the placement until April - which for me isn't an option unfortunately. Perhaps they have given you this option because you know some Japanese? I didn't speak any before applying.

I hated playing the waiting game for so long, I wouldn't stop searching for flights! Now I'd rather be back in limbo!

I probably only got it because My japanese is somewhere between intermediate and advanced. I really feel for you guys though. It would really suck to have to wait till next year.

Minxie1418
July 26th, 2011, 01:29
Still haven't heard or received anything back from Interac. Stuck in Limbo at the moment.

Also when did you guys apply? I had my seminar back in February and I will be mightily peeved if they tell me now that I don't have a job because of their incompetence.
My seminar was on April 30th.

I really hope they let me at least be an alternate so I can actually go to Japan next month. Otherwise it's going to suck having to break this news to my friends and family.

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 01:39
I was 'invited to apply' in May after applying for similar posts in S Korea last year (and not getting a placement because of race issues!) That would suggest that by the time the school year had begun in Japan, they didn't have enough applications/suitable candidates (perhaps because of the natural disasters in March?)

I got my offer in June, which isn't very long ago compared to you guys, but all the communication so far has been firmly for a 'fall 2011' commencement with no suggestion that it could be deferred!

It's going to be hugely embarrassing and will look really stupid to go back and tell everyone that I'm no longer going to Japan and that I no longer have a job in London!

I hope @iknowmyabc you don't have this problem, especially since you've got your CofE.

ZeroX585
July 26th, 2011, 02:10
Man.... that sucks..... Like cj, I probably only got my position due to my Japanese level being high intermediate.....

That is pretty dang messed up that they would just do that out of the blue..... they must have had some BoE changes last minute, or they didn't have things organized properly.

You would think with the events in March, that there would be openings.... I am hoping for you all that they rethink their positions for you and re offer.

Not much can be done right now aside of seeing if they will reverse their decision....

I am wishing you all the best of luck.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 04:12
Did you guys that got pushed back receive your COE? If you did could you not just go to japan anyway and look for a different job? I heard that if you have a visa already your chances of finding a different job skyrocket. Just a something to consider if you are unable to wait. Man are we lucky Zero. If there are 3 or so people that got pushed back on this forum I'm sure there are at lest 10 or 20 more that did as well. Dirty move by interac.

ZeroX585
July 26th, 2011, 04:16
Did you guys that got pushed back receive your COE? If you did could you not just go to japan anyway and look for a different job? I heard that if you have a visa already your chances of finding a different job skyrocket. Just a something to consider if you are unable to wait. Man are we lucky Zero. If there are 3 or so people that got pushed back on this forum I'm sure there are at lest 10 or 20 more that did as well. Dirty move by interac.

Yes we are lucky, I was thinking about that.... I feel terrible though for the ones who got pushed back. That's gotta be a major drive-kill. It feels similar to JET Rejection..... :(

It is a bit of a dirty move, but I can't necessarily say it was the entire fault of Interac. It could very well be that they had a placement ready, but the BoE cancelled last minute. At that point, Interac becomes merely a dispatch company. They SHOULD have had a backup plan though for the ones who got pushed back.

It sucks terribad for the ones who got pushed back, but like you already mentioned.... see if they've sent the CoE already. If you get a visa, you can land a job just about anywhere.

Minxie1418
July 26th, 2011, 04:22
Do you guys think that I will still even get my COE? I know it was being processed and was supposed to be ready around August 1.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 04:23
Do you guys think that I will still even get my COE? I know it was being processed and was supposed to be ready around August 1.

I did not even know they sent mine until it arrived a day before they said they would get it.

Minxie1418
July 26th, 2011, 04:29
I did not even know they sent mine until it arrived a day before they said they would get it.
With any luck maybe mine will turn up in the mail and I can still get a visa. I was thinking about just applying to AEON (since there are apparently new interviews scheduled for August) and how that would work out if I already had my visa sponsored by Interac. :lol:

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 04:44
Well to all of you that have been brutally pushed back keep us updated concerning all of the future contact you have with interac. I'd love to provide support as well as hear how Interac will deal with this situation.

Good luck!

iknowmyabc
July 26th, 2011, 04:45
I got my CoE last Thursday. Was planning to sort out my visa this Wednesday but I've still had no contact from Interac so will hold that up until I know whether or not Interac want me.

I've had no contact whatsoever. Not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. My gut feeling is I'll be receiving the dreaded referral/alternate email within the next few days. Guess I'll find out shortly... :rolleyes:

Hope you guy manage to sort something out. What an awful situation to be in :(

MrMagpie
July 26th, 2011, 04:49
Just received the deferral/alternate email myself.

I was upset at first, but after reading through the email and sending off a response, I actually think working in an office environment or having a chance to dip my toes in the water when it comes to teaching in a classroom might be nice.

And of course not having to put down key money right off the plane doesn't hurt matters either.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 04:54
Just received the deferral/alternate email myself.

I was upset at first, but after reading through the email and sending off a response, I actually think working in an office environment or having a chance to dip my toes in the water when it comes to teaching in a classroom might be nice.

And of course not having to put down key money right off the plane doesn't hurt matters either.

Hello fellow alternate! I feel we are in for an exciting ride because I can't imagine that there will be few of us. I'm ready for the thrill of the adventure this promises. Do you think that your japanese level played a factor in their decision? I'm starting to think that they expected a lot of people who arrived in early/mid-summer to run away before we arrive.

MrMagpie
July 26th, 2011, 04:59
Hello fellow alternate! I feel we are in for an exciting ride because I can't imagine that there will be few of us. I'm ready for the thrill of the adventure this promises. Do you think that your japanese level played a factor in their decision? I'm starting to think that they expected a lot of people who arrived in early/mid-summer to run away before we arrive.

Yes, I absolutely feel that my Japanese ability played a part in their decision to give me an opportunity as an alternate instead of simply asking me to defer my application. I studied Japanese in college along with International Politics and Asian History, so I feel like this very well could have been one of their deciding factors.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 05:08
Yes, I absolutely feel that my Japanese ability played a part in their decision to give me an opportunity as an alternate instead of simply asking me to defer my application. I studied Japanese in college along with International Politics and Asian History, so I feel like this very well could have been one of their deciding factors.

I do feel that way as well. I studied abroad in Osaka for a year and have been studying Japanese for four years. Currently I'm trying to get to JLPT level N2 but have not had the chance to take it yet. I have taught for a year previously as well. I was sure I would not become an alternate but now I'm starting to think that they tried to give the under-qualified people positions first as to git the hardest sales out of the way first. I would not even be surprised if they planned from the beginning to make the more qualified people alternates because they are more confident in us and know that we should be better equipped to redeem their reputation to a BOE if they ended up with a runner.

Of course this could be completely wrong. And please forgive my lack of humility in this post. Just trying to come up with theories to entertain myself.

MrMagpie
July 26th, 2011, 05:13
I do feel that way as well. I studied abroad in Osaka for a year and have been studying Japanese for four years. Currently I'm trying to get to JLPT level N2 but have not had the chance to take it yet. I have taught for a year previously as well. I was sure I would not become an alternate but now I'm starting to think that they tried to give the under-qualified people positions first as to git the hardest sales out of the way first. I would not even be surprised if they planned from the beginning to make the more qualified people alternates because they are more confident in us and know that we should be better equipped to redeem their reputation to a BOE if they ended up with a runner.

Of course this could be completely wrong. And please forgive my lack of humility in this post. Just trying to come up with theories to entertain myself.

I studied abroad in Shiga prefecture for 4 months, but I have no formal teaching experience. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they purposely placed 'less qualified' individuals first, but I'm sure our language ability, experience in Japan, as well as placement preferences (I was hoping for inaka-ville, just like you) all played a factor in their decision.

Dr.Zin
July 26th, 2011, 05:19
Got the email too.

I have a visa though, so I'm not completely SOL.

BTW, I was meant to go in April but postponed my travel due to the earthquake. Anyone else in my position?

Atlur
July 26th, 2011, 09:33
Signed up just to post here. I got the deferral email this morning. Pretty disheartening, to say the least. Not sure how to break the news to my friends and family, especially the ones who have already booked trips to come out to see me before I was supposed to leave for Japan. This is pretty outrageous that they didn't even hint at this possibility in any previous correspondence.

I already gave the consulate my CoE and am picking up my visa on Wednesday. So is it actually possible for me to get a different job in Japan with that visa? Is it specific to Interac, or to teaching? My degree is in Chemical Engineering so I'd certainly be willing to look into something else over there, but I don't know what all is allowed with these sorts of things. I'll definitely do some more research on it in the coming days but I figured I would ask here as well, because I could use all the help I can get.

Ame
July 26th, 2011, 11:15
Hey guys,

I`m with Interac here in Sapporo. Sucks to hear that there are people being deferred until next year. I`m not sure, but maybe it has to do with the fact that so many people deferred after the earthquake? Interac had obligations to fulfill with BOEs and I know that they found a lot of people locally... I`d also heard that the number of intakes for August was traditionally lower as many BOEs preferred to start their contracts at the beginning of the school year rather than the middle... so maybe a combination of a high rate of deferrals plus fewer positions lead to a change of plans?

I`m by no means an insider, just speculating really. But that`s my theory.

Also, what`s the story with Jodie? I`m surprised that he quit. He was with the company for a freaking long time....

Minxie1418
July 26th, 2011, 11:38
So is it actually possible for me to get a different job in Japan with that visa? Is it specific to Interac, or to teaching?
I've heard it is not specific to Interac, but you would have to get a job in the same field - teaching, that is (the visa will say "instructor" on it I think). I don't know how strict they'd be about enforcing that rule. My guess is that you'd have trouble if/when you want to renew your visa later.
There are undoubtedly lots of English teaching positions you can get if you already have your visa, though. :)

I have yet to hear back from Interac after the reply email I sent them this morning (where I basically begged to be allowed to come next month as an alternate :redface:). I hope some kind of follow up comes soon. I bet they've got more than a few similar emails from disgruntled people to sort through...

MrMagpie
July 26th, 2011, 12:24
So is it actually possible for me to get a different job in Japan with that visa? Is it specific to Interac, or to teaching? My degree is in Chemical Engineering so I'd certainly be willing to look into something else over there, but I don't know what all is allowed with these sorts of things. I'll definitely do some more research on it in the coming days but I figured I would ask here as well, because I could use all the help I can get.

You're actually in a very good position to get another job in Japan. However, keep in mind that unless you are fluent in Japanese, your Chemical Engineering degree still leaves you in a less hireable position than, say, a Japanese native with a Chemical Engineering degree.

With your Visa already secured, however, it should be relatively simple to find a job in Japan. If you don't have the money to move there directly, you might have some luck looking through job ads on places like GaijinPot.

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 12:39
You could secure interviews by saying you are already in japan before you leave because you already have a visa. I think that would be the best rought. Just have a few of them lined up.It will take a lot of cordination, some guts, and the right amount of luck but I bet you could do it. 

jd111
July 26th, 2011, 14:55
I got an email this morning from my branch manager.

Very apologetic and they sent me 5000 yen to tide me over.

Water under the bridge.

iknowmyabc
July 26th, 2011, 15:18
Probably not what people want to hear but I just got my placement call with Interac. A city called Moriyama which is near to Kyoto so I'm pleased with that although I do feel terrible that you guys have been messed about with :( I hope it all works out for everyone and that you can all find a way to Japan.

jd111
July 26th, 2011, 15:28
whoa, i just read back over this thread! i feel ultimately sorry for you guys. This is a real kick in the nuts I imagine.

I hope things work out for you, and that this doesnt put an end to your dream!!

After i was turned down by JET. My friend said to me "your heart is already in japan, it wont be long before your body catches up"

Turned out I got to Japan before I would have with JET anyway.

Clouds, silver, linings, etc!

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 18:44
Well done to everyone who has managed to get their placement, even if it is to be an alternate (which sounds really good anyway!)

It's been 24 hours since I sent them my reply, and there has been no response. They haven't even had the decency to make a phone call to explain themselves! I had given them 48 hours to reverse their decision so we'll see what happens when that time period is up!

I see there are loads of people on here who are probably more worthy of getting a placement (with Japanese skills/experience, have already deferred from April, etc.) but there should have been very clear that this situation was a possibility instead of repeatedly saying 'mid to late August' so I hope no one minds that I will have to pursue this to the death (well, almost!) as they left it to the 25th of July to inform us, and I (perhaps stupidly) have made such extensive arrangements to come to Japan simply because the offer was there, and approximate dates were given, and the timeframe was so short. I think it'd be impossible to get away with using the instructors visa for another profession (although I bet people do), and since the school year started in April/May, it'd be almost impossible to find a teaching job at this stage. Unfortunately I think our only hopes now lie with Interac!

Minxie1418
July 26th, 2011, 20:33
I'm still waiting for any reply too, Hinesh. :(

I hope they at least still send me my COE so I can possibly go to Japan anyway and find a teaching job on my own for the next nine months...

KAy
July 26th, 2011, 21:27
Hey fellow People whom think they're lost,

I joined this thing just so I can post here and throw my 2 cents in.
I have been lurking on this site for months!!! Back in March when I was just applying to Interac! Just looking for some insight and advice through what people have posted.

Well yesterday morning, after patiently waiting for my placement, giving 2 weeks notice to both of my jobs, buying $300 worth of work clothes, researching ticket fares and looking up travel agencies Interac told me I won't be starting until April (So Hanash1... you're not alone. Our situation is a bit similar I feel).

Yesterday I was nothing but a sloppy ball of tears... and I still am. I do congratulate those who received a placement, I have no bitterness towards them; it's Interac. I replied last night saying that I feel mislead and that Interac is unorganized and unprofessional. I was never told that placement is dependent on my skills nor did it ever have the possibility of being deferred. I still want the job, but at the same time I had to stand up for myself. I had everything all set. I was about to start organizing my things to pack (I procrastinate so I needed to start a month in advance!)

I also emailed them about my CoE. I did the paper work, they sent it out, so I still want it.

So I was happy to know that I was not alone since yesterday was a dark day for me. I hope whoever else is in the same boat as I we can find light at the end of this tunnel.

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 21:54
And another one! I wonder just how many have been screwed over. Enough to start up a rival company to Inerac?!

@KAy - completely in the same position. I've had to spend well over £1000 to get things for Japan (new laptop, camera, clothes, etc), already had some goodbyes with people who I won't see (possibly ever!), have told everyone that I'm moving to Japan in a month, turned down Summer holidays, wedding invitations, and loads more for this. On top of that, I've got friends have booked time off in November and Easter to come to Japan, I've already made plans to hop over to S Korea at Christmas to see a friend....the list literally goes on for ages, and includes giving in my notice and recruiting a successor at work, and turning down another job here in London!

So yep, you're not alone in this, and given that I've now got nothing to do after I leave my current job, I'm ready to take this as far as possible! I had never been so excited about something ever!

@Minxie1418 - I hope you do find something but I would check the visa rules, and remember that the costs of hanging about in Japan are so high that money would just disappear whilst waiting for something to come along. It's possible to do it in SE Asia and China (tried and tested) but hopefully I'm wrong!

disguisedrobot
July 26th, 2011, 21:55
Glad you hear you got some money through jd.

To the guys who've been defered: Were you guys originally given a position and then had it defered 'til next year?

Not really sure why Jodie left. I had training earlier and I wanted to ask, but I didn't think they'd tell me anyway so I didn't bother.

Hinesh1
July 26th, 2011, 22:03
We were originally 'employed' for 'Fall 2011'. We were patiently waiting for our placement and exact dates but given mid to late August as an indication. As late as last week that was still the word from the Placement Team, who said they are working on securing a placement. And then on Monday they sent a deferral email. It was a general one too, so I guess there are a lot of us who have been deferred.

disguisedrobot
July 26th, 2011, 22:13
Aah right, it now sounds a lot shitter than how I originally read it. It's going to be hard with no placements, an alternate is a much better option and in that case, definitely bug them a lot about it!

cjlowe5532
July 26th, 2011, 23:01
You're actually in a very good position to get another job in Japan. However, keep in mind that unless you are fluent in Japanese, your Chemical Engineering degree still leaves you in a less hireable position than, say, a Japanese native with a Chemical Engineering degree.

With your Visa already secured, however, it should be relatively simple to find a job in Japan. If you don't have the money to move there directly, you might have some luck looking through job ads on places like GaijinPot.

Hey this has nothing to do with your past posts, just wanted to see if you got a reply yet with your arrival date. I wonder if anyone got e-mails from them yesterday. I'm trying to get in with the first bunch, whenever that is. Did you request a particular date?

KAy
July 27th, 2011, 00:40
To the guys who've been defered: Were you guys originally given a position and then had it defered 'til next year?

Wasn't given a position...I got a bunch of emails stating that they were working on a position.

I combed through all of my paper work with a fine tooth comb and nothing in any of it said anything about my position could become pushed back. Everything said my job starts in September and I leave in mid-to-late August....sooooo Interac violated their contract that I've signed on May 21st.....

Atlur
July 27th, 2011, 01:58
Well, I got a reply to the mail I sent. The only question I asked of them was if a position in April was any more guaranteed than this one was. To which they skirted around the answer, saying that there are many more openings typically in April so they don't see this being an issue. They did state that the number of people that deferred their arrival from March because of the earthquake is largely to blame for them not having enough positions right now (though you'd think that they'd have checked that before hiring a bunch of new people). Lastly, they said they would defer my application for a March 2012 arrival (tentatively) and would contact me in November to get things going again (assuming nothing else pops up before then). So take from that what you will.

Hinesh1
July 27th, 2011, 02:26
Wasn't given a position...I got a bunch of emails stating that they were working on a position.

I combed through all of my paper work with a fine tooth comb and nothing in any of it said anything about my position could become pushed back. Everything said my job starts in September and I leave in mid-to-late August....sooooo Interac violated their contract that I've signed on May 21st.....

From what I understand, and I'm no lawyer so hopefully wrong, but what we signed was not a contract, as they said we would sign a contract in Japan. Therefore, that bit of paper we signed (that hasn't been signed by them) means nothing. But let's see what their response is tomorrow, and I'll probably have to "seek legal advice" (never thought I'd ever have to say that!)

KAy
July 27th, 2011, 04:08
From what I understand, and I'm no lawyer so hopefully wrong, but what we signed was not a contract, as they said we would sign a contract in Japan. Therefore, that bit of paper we signed (that hasn't been signed by them) means nothing. But let's see what their response is tomorrow, and I'll probably have to "seek legal advice" (never thought I'd ever have to say that!)

Haha yeah I re-re-read everything and feel a bit silly... but ya know.....I;m done with them. They've kicked us and expect us to roll over and wait until April like we have all the time in the world to hope that they don't screw us again.

After work (in which I'm proud to say I've re secured my positions) and I called Teach Away. I applied with them before back in April and they sent my application to whomever handles the interviews for Private school teachers and sent an application to Altia Central.

DandeLion
July 27th, 2011, 14:54
Interac isn't the actual company that places you. They are kind of like a recruitment office from what I gather. They send your resumes off to the desks of BOE's and from there you compete against other companies like JET for the same position. You can also apply directly to the school yourself if you know how. So more or less it is a gamble for how many people will get accepted by the BOE's...

As for your skill..Well clearly the schools in larger cities like Osaka and Tokyo and such have higher requirements for their teachers and might want you to be able to speak Japanese or have prior experience as well. Pretty much if you are competing and being compared to other candidates on the BOE's desk, then they will take your skills you posted in you profile/resume into account and will give the job to the one they think looks best.

Additionally there are people who, very late in the game, reapply for their positions; therefore the count of available positions is constantly fluctuating due to the people who at the last minute decide to reapply and those who say ' screw this! I want to change companies/countries/school locations..."

At least from my research that is what I have gathered on the Interac company...So they can't be all to blame because they did, supposedly, try to get you a job. And sent you (your profile) off to the BOE and they are the ones that decided against you. Interac does in fact compete with JET as they are both placements in public schools.

EMTQueen
July 27th, 2011, 15:41
I'm another one who got deferred and not even given the choice of alternate. The day before I got the email, I asked about the status of my CoE. The next day after the deferral email, I get a "Please do keep in mind that the most recent email from David asks you to consider defer. If you accept, we will have to re-issue the certificate. I know this is a difficult position to be in and we regret having to ask." I don't believe I was even given an option whether or not to be deferred. I was just told that I was.

I'm trying with all my self-control to not send a nasty email. They should have thought about the number of deferrals they received after 3/11 and kept that in mind when recruiting for the fall intake, so that's a lame excuse in the first place. And the general, impersonal email sent at the last minute that completely destroyed plans and left a lot of people in limbo was a nice touch.

This doesn't inspire confidence in Interac. Not only do they expect us to wait for nine months and play this game again, but they can't even guarantee that we won't end up deferred again.

July 29th was to be my last day at the job I have loathed for such a long time. Now I've had to rescind my resignation, tell everybody that I've been deferred, and go back to square one in my job search. To say I'm pissed is an understatement.

Hinesh1
July 27th, 2011, 18:49
I called Interac this morning. If, like me, you have been asked to defer, there is no possibility of going out in August/September, and there is no possibility of being an Alternate as there are so many people they have had to take on as Alternates (and many of them will literally have nothing to do and apparently get fed up very quickly). Not really sure where to go from here..

DandeLion
July 27th, 2011, 21:03
I called Interac this morning. If, like me, you have been asked to defer, there is no possibility of going out in August/September, and there is no possibility of being an Alternate as there are so many people they have had to take on as Alternates (and many of them will literally have nothing to do and apparently get fed up very quickly). Not really sure where to go from here..

got a COE...go to gaijinpot.com

KAy
July 27th, 2011, 21:04
If anyone is interested and still wants to go to Japan, Teach Away has openings for full time Private Teaching positions. Gave them a call after work (The woman I spoke to on the phone remembered me from calling me back in March.) and told them I'm interested in any teaching positions in Japan in which they pulled up my information that they still had on file and got the ball rolling. The position is 26 hours in Tokyo. Wasn't crazy about the location... with Interac I really wanted to be thrown in the middle of nowhere... but I'm not gonna knock it before I try it.

I've already been contacted by phone and emailed within a few hours with forms to fill out. They've been very friendly and responsive so far so I feel better that I have some sense of direction back. And if I get an interview it'll be a nice road trip to Canada!

zero
July 27th, 2011, 22:25
Interac isn't the actual company that places you. They are kind of like a recruitment office from what I gather. They send your resumes off to the desks of BOE's and from there you compete against other companies like JET for the same position. You can also apply directly to the school yourself if you know how. So more or less it is a gamble for how many people will get accepted by the BOE's...

As for your skill..Well clearly the schools in larger cities like Osaka and Tokyo and such have higher requirements for their teachers and might want you to be able to speak Japanese or have prior experience as well. Pretty much if you are competing and being compared to other candidates on the BOE's desk, then they will take your skills you posted in you profile/resume into account and will give the job to the one they think looks best.

Additionally there are people who, very late in the game, reapply for their positions; therefore the count of available positions is constantly fluctuating due to the people who at the last minute decide to reapply and those who say ' screw this! I want to change companies/countries/school locations..."

At least from my research that is what I have gathered on the Interac company...So they can't be all to blame because they did, supposedly, try to get you a job. And sent you (your profile) off to the BOE and they are the ones that decided against you. Interac does in fact compete with JET as they are both placements in public schools.

That is just so completely wrong. Please try again.

jd111
July 27th, 2011, 22:31
That is just so completely wrong. Please try again.

Actually, this seems pretty much on the ball.

whats your opinion rather than snarky comment, please?

KAy
July 27th, 2011, 22:50
I'm trying with all my self-control to not send a nasty email. They should have thought about the number of deferrals they received after 3/11 and kept that in mind when recruiting for the fall intake, so that's a lame excuse in the first place. And the general, impersonal email sent at the last minute that completely destroyed plans and left a lot of people in limbo was a nice touch.

This doesn't inspire confidence in Interac. Not only do they expect us to wait for nine months and play this game again, but they can't even guarantee that we won't end up deferred again.

July 29th was to be my last day at the job I have loathed for such a long time. Now I've had to rescind my resignation, tell everybody that I've been deferred, and go back to square one in my job search. To say I'm pissed is an understatement.

I say send an email to them. I did. This situation isn't about not getting a position... but being deferred without it ever being mentioned in the what...5 months of contact they've had with all of us. This would be a totally different story if we knew that this event could possibly come into place. 5 months is ample time to inform applicants and potential ALTs... not 3 weeks before we all intend to leave. This is a huge move for all of us so they can't be so dense and think that none of us aren't tieing up lose ends at this point in the time line. We're moving to Japan... not down the road or next state over. This could've been avioded if Interac practiced some common sense.

So send that email. They fucked us over. Plain and simple. One of us declined a job in London for this position and already booked trips along with some of his friends! I or any of us might not recieve anything from whatever tempered email we send but at this time it's not about us as I currently feel, but future people who want to pursue work with Interac, because their curve ball was not professional. They need to know they can't do this again.

Minxie1418
July 27th, 2011, 22:52
I got a reply email today saying I'm still getting my COE, so that's something. I've applied to AEON and I might check out Teach Away, Kay. :) And if all else fails I'll go with my visa anyway and try my luck with gaijinpot.com.

Hinesh1
July 27th, 2011, 23:02
@Minxie1418 - I might join you in just turning up if my CoE comes next week as planned. Just hang out in a Tokyo cafe with a sign saying 'English Lessons' and people will just turn up apparently!

KAy
July 27th, 2011, 23:03
Awesome! So far my brief contact with Teach Away have been excellent. Laura from their NY office is a very friendly person and beyond helpful. Very responsive and imformative. I look forward to my hopeful future with them.

I don't know the status of my CoE is....sopposed to be done by August 1st. I emailed them merely barking
"When am I recieving my CoE?" XD

zero
July 28th, 2011, 01:06
Actually, this seems pretty much on the ball.

whats your opinion rather than snarky comment, please?

It's not an opinion. There are no head teachers or teachers of any kind in a school looking at ALT applications and picking one - the Board of Education of that district or prefecture has a contract with either JET or Interac or whoever and they have an ALT dispatched to the school.
JETs are government employees. Interac ALTs are Interac employees. Maybe some private schools have directly hired ALTs but I'm willing to bet these are few and far between.

zero
July 28th, 2011, 01:10
They need to know they can't do this again.

of course they can do this again...there are plenty of people willing to put up with this shit to get a job in Japan...they will not care about your angry emails, they will just not give you a position even if they have one...they never told you an exact date you'd be leaving and probably don't care about your loose ends.

KAy
July 28th, 2011, 01:20
well of course, it's blantently obvious. At the end of the day they're just a big machine.

Atlur
July 28th, 2011, 02:17
Welp, went back to the consulate today and picked up my visa. Time to start scouring the web for jobs over there, I guess.

lostincarpet
July 28th, 2011, 06:45
Another Interac deferee signing up to say WTF.

The most insulting thing about the whole affair has been the form e-mail informing us if the eight month delay. I'm sure I'm not alone here in having expended a lot of time and expense on this application, and getting a Dear ALT is a slap in the face.

leftbanke7
July 28th, 2011, 06:53
Thought I would also join up and chime in on it all.

I also got the deferment/alternate email but decide to just let it ride until April. Let's me save up more money and all that. Luckily for me, outside of the few bucks I am out on postage and pictures for my Visa, I am OK. It sucks to hear that there are those of you who already dropped a bunch of coin on plane tickets and all that. Without trying to sound too smarmy or assholish, they did say not to buy any of that until we got our placement. Either way, it does still sucks and I feel for you. Hard not to get excited and jump the gun on all that. I've been there myself!

I did, however, get an email from the American arm of Interac today with a link to a survey about what just happened. In the email, they were pretty honest about the fact that they really can't do anything about it but it is a forum in which we can air our grievances and they seem to actually care that we got screwed over in this. I would imagine they get a cut on every person they recruit and place and, as such, they aren't getting their cash this time around either.

All of it does make me lose a lot of confidence in Interac as a company. Yeah, I do know that stuff happens but there seems to be a lot of mitigating factors in all this that could have been avoided had Interac just been more on top of things (earthquake and tsunami not withstanding) such as firm deadlines for current teachers to make their decisions and not allowing anybody to change their mind after they have made it. There is a small part of me that wants to ask them for some compensation for all of this but I'm really not gonna worry about it. It is what it is.

I guess I have a different mindset on all of it. Many of you see Interac as your way to Japan so I can definitely understand the disappointment in having to wait another 7 months when you were so close. I, however, see it as a way to get teaching experience so I can move on to bigger and better things. Doing it in Japan is just incidental. I'd just assume go elsewhere to teach (already been to Japan twice) but the pay there is a lot better and it's nearly impossible to get into a decent European country without at least a couple years experience, a TOEFL certificate and/or a friend who is willing to get into a sham marriage with you so you can get residency.

So I will just wait until April and see how I feel about it then. No use crying over spilled milk (that you didn't spill).

oneokbunny
July 28th, 2011, 07:18
Wow has this thread taken a turn since I last had internet.

I'm sad for all you that got deferred... I just know with my luck had I not decided to come early I would have gotten that same email.

From what I've seen so far working for them is that they can be disorganized and what not but staying on them usually helps things along. I wrote up a bit of this to all the chaos that 3/11 caused. I came in towards the end of the intakes for recovery teachers and it seems they had training for those like me every week since they started the intake.

I'm not saying "hey come on with what happened in march just go with it" or anything like that though my branch is currently working out of boxes in a temp office because of earthquake damage to their actual office. I might be more willing to cut them a little slack because even now outside my own apartment window I see damage caused by the earthquake.

I wanted to add though that the BoE sends out requests and in some cases they might simply request a female teacher with blonde hair or something along those lines and that's what Interac has to work with. The local branch look first and foremost at your demo lessons. I don't understand why one person at my training didn't have a demo and he couldn't be placed because of it. The last day of training a demo was taken... wonder if he's still in that hotel in Tokyo or not.

I really sympathize with you guys because I know how much moving here meant to me and how sad I was when I didn't get a JET interview. I just really hope that they do a head count of who still needs to be placed in March and adjust their new intake so this doesn't happen again.

Femtoast
July 28th, 2011, 09:02
I'm curious as to people who've accepted the alternate position: The e-mail said you would go to Japan in August, October, or November. Did you have a preference, and what date did they end up assigning you? Do you know any other details about being an alternate besides the deferral/alternate e-mail sent to everyone who did not receive a placement.

MrMagpie
July 28th, 2011, 12:05
Posting an update as someone who was asked to accept a position as an alternate. I just received a call from Interac about an hour ago, telling me they had found me a placement in Shiroi-shi, Chiba-ken. The pay is a little less because I would be so close to the Tokyo/Chiba/Narita area and would not be required to drive, but I accepted nevertheless. They're contacting the school to let them know that I've accepted, and now I'm just waiting for information on my departure date and related plans. Edit: Just to let Femtoast know, I was originally told that October would be the earliest they could bring me in as an alternate.

So, to anyone else in my situation, listen to this little girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUlOAyQsn4 (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUlOAyQsn4)

Femtoast
July 28th, 2011, 12:30
Thanks for that update, MrMagpie. I hope to get more feedback from other alternates or anyone with additional information since they're not telling me anything. They did tell me I was to arrive in October like you were, though. This gives me a bit more hope, at least. Perhaps they're still looking for placements for alternates as time goes on.

cjlowe5532
July 28th, 2011, 14:14
Thanks for that update, MrMagpie. I hope to get more feedback from other alternates or anyone with additional information since they're not telling me anything. They did tell me I was to arrive in October like you were, though. This gives me a bit more hope, at least. Perhaps they're still looking for placements for alternates as time goes on.

They said I’m going in august but they did not give me a date yet. It is nice to hear that we may be placed still before we arrive.

cjlowe5532
July 28th, 2011, 22:05
Now it looks like I’m coming the 15th! Lucky me.

Femtoast
July 28th, 2011, 22:09
Now it looks like I’m coming the 15th! Lucky me.

Congratulations. Yes, if they said you're going in August, you're going to attend the training on the 15th with the Fall group.

DandeLion
July 29th, 2011, 00:52
Actually orientation starts at all different times and places - it starts the 21st and then again the 25th in Osaka and the 15th and 21st in Tokyo ( I think the 25th as well but I haven't read - from the FB business page - anyone going to that one) I believe there is also a orientation in Hiroshima.

Femtoast
July 29th, 2011, 02:44
Actually orientation starts at all different times and places - it starts the 21st and then again the 25th in Osaka and the 15th and 21st in Tokyo ( I think the 25th as well but I haven't read - from the FB business page - anyone going to that one) I believe there is also a orientation in Hiroshima.

From what I had heard, the Tokyo orientation starts on the 15th, and the Hiroshima orientation is on the 24th-27th (or so says my friend whom is attending the Hiroshima orientation). I hadn't known if there was more than one orientation per area. Also, I figure any alternates will be at the Tokyo orientation due to the fact that they will find an apartment in Tokyo until a placement is found.

Laevatienn
July 29th, 2011, 05:58
I should probably inform those who contacted Teach Away that Teach Away does recruiting for Interac if you are looking at Japan. Google Teach Away Interac if you will. Thought I might pitch in on that side. Although, I think Teach Away has a separate client for private (eikaiwa) schools if that makes any difference. Just a thought.

cjlowe5532
July 30th, 2011, 00:09
I’m not an alternate anylonger! I got placed in Iaraki-ken, a town about an hour away from the heart of tokyo. I did want a much more rule placement but now I’m just happy that I’m getting to come this fall. If they keep finding placements for alternates this quickly you guys could have a bit of hope left!

Femtoast
July 30th, 2011, 00:14
I’m not an alternate anylonger! I got placed in Iaraki-ken, a town about an hour away from the heart of tokyo. I did want a much more rule placement but now I’m just happy that I’m getting to come this fall. If they keep finding placements for alternates this quickly you guys could have a bit of hope left!

Nice. I'm still set to go in October, but I haven't heard a word since. Just hoping everything goes good and they don't throw a "deferred" at me randomly or something.

cjlowe5532
July 30th, 2011, 00:21
Nice. I'm still set to go in October, but I haven't heard a word since. Just hoping everything goes good and they don't throw a "deferred" at me randomly or something.

Yeah that is why I asked to come as early as possible. I figured the earlier you go the less of a chance they wont have a placement for you. Best of luck.

By the way, anybody out there know anything about southern Ibaraki-ken? If you do I could send you my city's name. There is not much about Ibaraki on this sight or anywhere for that matter.

Minxie1418
July 30th, 2011, 00:45
Omg I hope so! :) I'm scrambling right now to apply to a bunch of other companies and having to go through the whole interview, reference checks, background check stuff all over again sucks. It would just be perfect if Interac called me up soon with a placement.

Femtoast
July 30th, 2011, 00:58
Omg I hope so! :) I'm scrambling right now to apply to a bunch of other companies and having to go through the whole interview, reference checks, background check stuff all over again sucks. It would just be perfect if Interac called me up soon with a placement.

If you can wait until April, you have a really good chance of getting a placement you want with Interac. I don't discourage you looking for other similar jobs, but if I were deferred I'd settle for a full-time job here until April. At least I could still be with my friends, I guess. :)

Though applying to places and providing everything they require is always a huge pain. Best of luck to you.

And thank you, cjlowe5532. I don't know about Ibaraki, but I suppose it's a good thing it's Southern. That's almost too close to Fukushima-ken for me.

Minxie1418
July 30th, 2011, 01:32
If you can wait until April, you have a really good chance of getting a placement you want with Interac. I don't discourage you looking for other similar jobs, but if I were deferred I'd settle for a full-time job here until April. At least I could still be with my friends, I guess. :)

Though applying to places and providing everything they require is always a huge pain. Best of luck to you.

And thank you, cjlowe5532. I don't know about Ibaraki, but I suppose it's a good thing it's Southern. That's almost too close to Fukushima-ken for me.
I've been waiting since 2010 to go to Japan so if I can, I'd rather go as soon as possible lol. Luckily I've found some teaching positions that are 6 month contracts only, and I'm hoping I could possibly get one of those and fulfill the contract just in time to start working for Interac in April.

Hinesh1
July 30th, 2011, 01:55
I'm going in mid-October now, so if anyone fancies an epic overland/sea trip from London to Tokyo from the beginning of September then let me know!

KAy
July 30th, 2011, 02:15
I should probably inform those who contacted Teach Away that Teach Away does recruiting for Interac if you are looking at Japan. Google Teach Away Interac if you will. Thought I might pitch in on that side. Although, I think Teach Away has a separate client for private (eikaiwa) schools if that makes any difference. Just a thought.

Teach Away just told me that hiring for private schools is suspended until the new year....right after they told me they're interesting in interviewing me. So just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is pursuing that.

Minxie1418
July 30th, 2011, 02:15
I'm going in mid-October now, so if anyone fancies an epic overland/sea trip from London to Tokyo from the beginning of September then let me know!
:^_^: Did you work out something with Interac or are you going with another company?

KAy
July 30th, 2011, 02:18

Congrats Hinesh1!!
If they gave me work in October I'd totally tag along! I'd love to go to London!

MrMagpie
July 30th, 2011, 03:15
Yeah that is why I asked to come as early as possible. I figured the earlier you go the less of a chance they wont have a placement for you. Best of luck.

By the way, anybody out there know anything about southern Ibaraki-ken? If you do I could send you my city's name. There is not much about Ibaraki on this sight or anywhere for that matter.

Congrats on your placement, man. I don't personally know anything about Ibaraki-ken, but it just so happens that one of my college friends taught there for over a year as an ALT through Heart. She lived in Mito-shi. If you have any questions I could swing her way, or if you want to get in contact with her directly, just let me know.

leftbanke7
August 4th, 2011, 11:42
Interesting update. I wasn't one of the people that was offered an alternate spot nor did I write them back telling them I wanted to be one. I resigned myself to waiting until next year. However, I was just offered a placement near Kobe. I am torn whether or not I want to take it as after I was told I was being deferred, the money I was putting away to live on was used for other things.

So, it looks like some positions are coming available so for those of you who are upset at getting deferred, don't lose hope. And there is a 50/50 chance that I won't accept mine so there may be a pretty decent placement available in Akashi!

Minxie1418
August 4th, 2011, 13:05
Interesting update. I wasn't one of the people that was offered an alternate spot nor did I write them back telling them I wanted to be one. I resigned myself to waiting until next year. However, I was just offered a placement near Kobe. I am torn whether or not I want to take it as after I was told I was being deferred, the money I was putting away to live on was used for other things.

So, it looks like some positions are coming available so for those of you who are upset at getting deferred, don't lose hope. And there is a 50/50 chance that I won't accept mine so there may be a pretty decent placement available in Akashi!
Yeah, I saw that one deferred person on the facebook page also got a surprise placement. :)

That would be such a huge relief if I got one too. It'd be nice to just hop on a plane to Tokyo in two weeks and forget this whole mess ever happened. (also it'd be nice not to go flying all the way to LA for my AEON and Peppy Kids Club interview next week :lol:).

leftbanke7
August 5th, 2011, 07:33
Well, I did end up turning down the placement as I didn't have the money anymore. So keep your phone on. Perhaps you will get a call here soon.

Minxie1418
August 5th, 2011, 07:47
That's a shame, leftbank. :( You should start saving again if you can because the latest I've seen on the facebook page is that some new positions could open up as early as October.

leftbanke7
August 5th, 2011, 07:54
I'm not too terribly upset by it. I'd much rather wait until March and go into the job with a nice nest egg saved up so that I can enjoy the experience rather than try to pinch together just enough to get by and be constantly worrying that my responsibilities back home are not getting taken care of. And I'm not in any super hurry to get back. I've been there twice already (lived there for a year the second time around). I'm still good!

DandeLion
August 5th, 2011, 07:57
Yeah, I saw that one deferred person on the facebook page also got a surprise placement. :)

That would be such a huge relief if I got one too. It'd be nice to just hop on a plane to Tokyo in two weeks and forget this whole mess ever happened. (also it'd be nice not to go flying all the way to LA for my AEON and Peppy Kids Club interview next week :lol:).

Hey Check out what Stephen just posted in facebook. I think these numbers are pretty interesting - especially since now I know 3 people who have been offered a placement after being deferred.

"@CT: Good to hear man. I know you were waiting with baited breath. We found ourselves this season with too many people and not enough positions as everyone knows. We too were not happy in the least with the situation, but it seems we didn't get a couple of big contracts and turn over was half of what is was last year. I keep hearing things like hundreds of people were left in the lurch which is simply not true. Everyone offered has a job still. Some will go over between Oct. and Dec. (they don't know where they are going, but neither did the regular starts until just before they left). The others will be deferred until April. From N. America, the largest number of teachers by far, there were a total of 50 people affected. 40 of which have been asked to head over as an alternate. Still, we are trying to figure out ways to minimize this in the future. It is really hard working with Boards of Education sometimes."

Also Kobe is a super awesome place but also super expensive. You would definitely want money to live there. But really a shame you had to turn down.

cjlowe5532
August 5th, 2011, 11:23
I think they took in about 120 people this season in the Americas so 50 people being pushed back is quite more than I originally expected. Must have been some huge contracts.

lostincarpet
August 5th, 2011, 17:29
As a total of the entire intake (not just the US), 50+ is kind of the figure I was guesstimating. I'm surprised at the number of alternates, they've invited 4/5s of the deferred US ALTs to come to Japan anyway! Really?

Interesting also that they are offering placements to deferred non-alternates when AFAIK there are still alternates that haven't got a clue if they will get a position?

And it is all very well complaining about the BofEs, but the fact remains that there was never any indication at any stage to the ALTs that deferral was on the cards. Nor was Interac's handling of this situation sympathetic or sufficiently contrite. Not impressed by that response at all.

Anyway, gritting my teeth and not kicking off. I believe that is the Japanese way~

Laevatienn
August 6th, 2011, 06:26
As a total of the entire intake (not just the US), 50+ is kind of the figure I was guesstimating. I'm surprised at the number of alternates, they've invited 4/5s of the deferred US ALTs to come to Japan anyway! Really?

Interesting also that they are offering placements to deferred non-alternates when AFAIK there are still alternates that haven't got a clue if they will get a position?

And it is all very well complaining about the BofEs, but the fact remains that there was never any indication at any stage to the ALTs that deferral was on the cards. Nor was Interac's handling of this situation sympathetic or sufficiently contrite. Not impressed by that response at all.

Anyway, gritting my teeth and not kicking off. I believe that is the Japanese way~
As far as positions, what I got from what Stephen said is that people do have jobs but where they will be placed is the question. They will have positions but they don't know where which isn't unusual in this kind of business.

Handling wise, I really don't know what they could have done. If those numbers are correct then only ten out of around 120 people have been deferred. Sure, the rest are alternates but there was nothing Interac could have done. Any business would be struck hard by a large contract being dropped. They might have been able to inform people that it could happen or was a possibility but something tells me that this was a freak incident.

I've heard news of a survey circling those who were/are deferred/alternates asking about whether or not they should include the possibility that some people might be deferred or asked to be alternates. Hopefully they take that information to heart and inform people before they accept a contract. My 5 yen (which make excellent hypnosis devices :D).

Femtoast
August 6th, 2011, 06:52
It is a bit strange deferred people are getting positions before the alleged 'alternates' even are. But, I believe alternates are supposed to (not saying guaranteed because who knows with this company) be in Tokyo between August and November (or even December as Stephen had mentioned...). Whereas the rest that are still deferred will return in March.

It's still a huge bummer to be delayed like this. I still am hoping I will receive more information soon as I've not heard from Interac personally for almost two weeks.

lostincarpet
August 6th, 2011, 07:23
Handling wise, I really don't know what they could have done.
How about something somewhere in the documentation, contract, placement info, e-mail communication or during the seminars which warns that deferral is a possibility, no matter how slight.

How about when they did realise that they would have to defer/alternate a large number of people that they sent out something better than a "Dear ALT" message via e-mail. At least add a personal touch (have they never heard of mail merge) to make you feel like you are working for a company that values its new staff.

colamics
August 8th, 2011, 18:50
I had an interview in Oxford in June, where they told me I would get a reply within 2 weeks. Its now been 2 months. I've emailed them and they've told me that they are very busy in Tokyo right now, and it could take a while.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

Minxie1418
August 24th, 2011, 11:28
Sooo... anyone else going as Interac alternates next month? :) My training starts Sept. 26th.

Terrafire
August 25th, 2011, 00:36
Still waiting for my CoE before I get an exact date, but I'm down for October. Everything seems a little flaky, but hassling them at regular intervals is working pretty well in getting things moving.

Minxie1418
August 25th, 2011, 03:14
I had to do some hassling as well. ;)