PDA

View Full Version : Update on Placement information.

MCAS
May 28th, 2011, 07:08
So I just got an email from my coordinator saying that Tokyo hasn't released the list of placements to the coordinators yet. So it looks like we are not finding out until at least next week.

My personal guess is that we will receive our placement information on next Friday, June 3rd, based on the fact that the BoEs aren't allowed to contact us until then.

Hintalove
May 28th, 2011, 07:48
I wonder is we're going to get similar emails later today. Was this in response to something you had asked earlier? Or was it just a blanket email sent out to all the MA people?

Froren
May 28th, 2011, 07:57
Denver sent out a message a day or two ago saying they still had nothing from Tokyo.

MCAS
May 28th, 2011, 08:20
I wonder is we're going to get similar emails later today. Was this in response to something you had asked earlier? Or was it just a blanket email sent out to all the MA people?

It was a blanket e-mail to all MA people. Really it was our coordinator telling us she was holding off on sending us the Japanese language learning materials until placements were released. However, she said in the e-mail that none of the coordinators knew our placements yet.

Strange_quark
May 28th, 2011, 08:32
At least they're keeping you up-to-date. Ish.

*glares at JET-less email inbox*

bittersweet
May 28th, 2011, 09:20
I was really hoping I could break it to my family this weekend that I was going to Japan. :(

Ladama
May 28th, 2011, 09:26
I was really hoping I could break it to my family this weekend that I was going to Japan. :(
And you can't because . . . . ?

uthinkimlost?
May 28th, 2011, 11:02

Cuz he don't want no radiation, foo'!!

Tyr
May 28th, 2011, 11:25
Lame but expected and at least they're letting people know.
If placements are being delayed so much \i wish they would at lest send out all the other stuff.

Cytrix
May 28th, 2011, 11:32
Lameeeeee. Oh well. Let's just all pray to whatever god there is that we'll find out next week.

lilyanphino
May 28th, 2011, 11:33
At least they're keeping you up-to-date. Ish.

*glares at JET-less email inbox*

+1

ten_of_spades
May 28th, 2011, 11:46
They results aren't delayed. The info is always released to the new ALTs around the 5th/6th of June, so try not to wig out too much thinking about how CLAIR, your BoE, schools, predecessor, etc... all know where you're going.

jetset
May 28th, 2011, 18:06
They results aren't delayed. The info is always released to the new ALTs around the 5th/6th of June, so try not to wig out too much thinking about how CLAIR, your BoE, schools, predecessor, etc... all know where you're going.

Hmm - I think it's usually towards the second half of May. It even says as much in this year's handbook. Last year some people knew over a week ago. I keep hearing the 3rd mentioned for the BOEs, so surely placement info will start being released next week?

n107
May 28th, 2011, 18:45
Does the welcome letter from the placement come with the official notice or are they two separate things?

My city told us to turn in the welcome letter for the new guy on the 31st so that's the absolute earliest it's going out from our BOE and likely it won't be sent for another day or two.

Tyr
May 28th, 2011, 18:48
Considering the 3rd is the date mentioned a lot and that is a Friday I'm doubtful for hearing next week. Maybe some people will but for a lot it won't be until the week after that, given the time it takes for local embassies to get stuff together and send out the messages.

MCAS
May 28th, 2011, 22:39
I don't think that. I'm guessing the 2nd or 3rd, because the 3rd is when the BoEs are allowed to start contacting us. I'm pretty sure they are preventing them from contacting us before that because they want us to find out our placements from our coordinators first.

bittersweet
May 29th, 2011, 03:09
I'm not telling anyone anything until I have all the details. It's just easier that way.

greengoo
May 29th, 2011, 05:00
I'm not telling anyone anything until I have all the details. It's just easier that way.

Your family didn't know when you got your results? You might want to tell them now...

I understand maybe you want to know everything before you tell them, but if you're planning on backing out if you don't like your placement, that could potentially really mess up things for your Alternate.

rosec20
May 29th, 2011, 06:36
Your family didn't know when you got your results? You might want to tell them now...

I understand maybe you want to know everything before you tell them, but if you're planning on backing out if you don't like your placement, that could potentially really mess up things for your Alternate.
What? How would the alternate be affected by them turning down the position?

greengoo
May 29th, 2011, 06:40
What? How would the alternate be affected by them turning down the position?

Because many of those who are alternates are in the unfortunate position that they must make a choice soon, between continuing to wait for JET bump to Shortlist, or finding alternative employment. The longer you wait before you cancel, the less time each Alternate has to to accept your declined position.

Yes, there's always another Alternate who's willing to take up your mantle at a shorter notice, later on... but you could be denying that opportunity to a willing Alternate who wants to go but has been backed into a corner and had to move on. Bet that would be heart breaking... finding out oh wait, JET *does* want you... but you've already rented a new apartment, started a new job, etc

Just my personal thoughts.

bittersweet
May 29th, 2011, 07:05
I'm an upgraded alternate and I'm not planning on backing out.

greengoo
May 29th, 2011, 07:07
I'm an upgraded alternate and I'm not planning on backing out.

Good!

That said... are your parents not like... clawing at your throat for info?!

bittersweet
May 29th, 2011, 07:21
I never even told them I applied/got an interview, so, no.

greengoo
May 29th, 2011, 07:24
Wow... now THAT is going to be a fun conversation... Hey guys, good news. I applied for a job in Japan and I'm taking it... oh yah I leave the country in a month.

You're braver than I :D

Allison
May 29th, 2011, 07:33
I'm an upgraded alternate as well and I could tell my mom was a little disappointed that I got upgraded. But they've been really supportive/resigned to the fact that I want to go. Placements are definitely going to affect the amount of worrying going on for sure though!

Selkie
May 29th, 2011, 09:14
While my mother has been outwardly supportive, because she knows how much I want it, I know she doesn't love the idea.

Although, I think my having had zero success with alternative plans has helped, because she can't be like, "But are you sure you don't want to do x, instead?" Hahah.

rosec20
May 29th, 2011, 09:58
Because many of those who are alternates are in the unfortunate position that they must make a choice soon, between continuing to wait for JET bump to Shortlist, or finding alternative employment. The longer you wait before you cancel, the less time each Alternate has to to accept your declined position.

Yes, there's always another Alternate who's willing to take up your mantle at a shorter notice, later on... but you could be denying that opportunity to a willing Alternate who wants to go but has been backed into a corner and had to move on. Bet that would be heart breaking... finding out oh wait, JET *does* want you... but you've already rented a new apartment, started a new job, etc

Just my personal thoughts.
Oh right, I see your point. I am one of those unfortunate alternates, waiting... waiting.... But yeah, I get that eventually I will need to make up my mind about a plan B. And it does suck that I already have less time to mull over the fact I'm moving my life to another country if I do get upgraded.

My Mum has already decided my alternate status means I'm not going to Japan at all, much to her relief and my frustration :104:. I think she'd be thoroughly disappointed but resigned if I get upgraded.

bittersweet: Wow, that is a brave thing to do. Don't think my parents would be as forgiving if I only gave them a month or so's notice that I was moving overseas for a year+

lilyanphino
May 29th, 2011, 13:16
My parents are supportive of me going to Japan, but I know they'll miss me a lot. My Dad keeps asking me how to use skype. (Which I laugh at because it's already on their computer. All my parents have to do is make an account.) Silly 60-something year olds. :)

Muffles
May 29th, 2011, 17:56
I'm an upgraded alternate as well and I could tell my mom was a little disappointed that I got upgraded.

Ditto. When I got the letter saying I was an alternate Mum offered to let me go to America to stay with my aunt instead. Then she let it slip that she'd rather I did that instead. But she seems to be getting better with the idea now.

Alphabet
May 29th, 2011, 21:15
I still don't know who is replacing me.

jwkelley
May 29th, 2011, 23:48
To be kind of honest i really do like the many waiting processes of jet. Its like waiting for a movie, or an episode to come out, or video game or wondering what santa got you on christmas day.

ten_of_spades
May 30th, 2011, 05:20
Hmm - I think it's usually towards the second half of May. It even says as much in this year's handbook. Last year some people knew over a week ago. I keep hearing the 3rd mentioned for the BOEs, so surely placement info will start being released next week?

The handbook says that, but the handbook also lies mercilessly. In reality, I heard from my pred on June 5th, and last year, the letters the prefecture sent last year told us not to contact our sucessors until June 5th. Or maybe that's just how Gunma does things.

mothy
May 30th, 2011, 08:17
I don't know the normal time schedule really, but I do know I knew which prefecture I was going to well before my school knew they were getting me.

Kuro2Flo
May 30th, 2011, 08:24
When I told my mom I got JET someone listening would have thought I had told her that I was laying in the road bleeding to death from a gunshot wound.

Miss_igirisu
May 30th, 2011, 08:27
I contacted my guy at the weekend. Found him in facebook. I dunno, he didn't seem that happy and grateful that I'd told him. It's late this year and I was just being nice and letting him know..

Strange_quark
May 30th, 2011, 08:45
Well, whether or not you're pleased about where you are, you should still be grateful that someone took the time to find you and let you know.
That's not much to ask for, surely? Just my opinion, so each to his own *shrug*.

lizbuff
May 30th, 2011, 10:27
Emailed my successors today- hope they get back to me!

Cytrix
May 30th, 2011, 10:31
I have been religiously checking my spam folder for the last week...just in case...

Hikari
May 30th, 2011, 10:47
I still haven't found out about the new jets here.

Oh and my predecessor never contacted me. I didn't find out my exact placement till near the end of June, and I contacted her and heard back some time later. SO don't get too angsty if you don't hear from someone this month.

Strange_quark
May 30th, 2011, 10:49
ALT-bingo!

lilyanphino
May 30th, 2011, 11:40
I wonder which email I will be contacted through... I put one email on all my stuff, but then when the consul did google groups, I got a little confused at first and gave them my second email. Everything I've gotten since has been through that email.

Miss_igirisu
May 30th, 2011, 11:44
He seemed a nice enough guys but didn't really thank me for something I could get into big trouble for and he was more concerned with asking me how much time and money it costs to escape the town than asking about what kind of school and whether it's a nice town or not. I won't go out of my way for him again.

Eudox
May 30th, 2011, 11:46
He seemed a nice enough guys but didn't really thank me for something I could get into big trouble for and he was more concerned with asking me how much time and money it costs to escape the town than asking about what kind of school and whether it's a nice town or not. I won't go out of my way for him again.

That sucks. Some people are just clueless, I guess.

Miss_igirisu
May 30th, 2011, 11:52
I really dislike people who are more concerned with escaping their placements than they are in trying to settle down there. It's a pretty awesome placement and a good school. He should be happy.

lizbuff
May 30th, 2011, 12:05
Haha, if he wants to know how long it takes him to leave your town you should have just sent him a link to Hyperdia and left it at that! Not going to lie, checking how much/long it took to get to other places was one of the first things I did but I was actually interested in my placement, too.

I don't care if I get in trouble since I was encouraged to email by my BOE- they pay my wage so that is all I care about.

ten_of_spades
May 30th, 2011, 12:21
"I did something I wasn't supposed to do for someone who didn't ask or know I was going to do it. How dare he not polish my bean with praise and gratitude / have different priorities than me!"

Miss_igirisu
May 30th, 2011, 13:09
"I did something I wasn't supposed to do for someone who didn't ask or know I was going to do it. How dare he not polish my bean with praise and gratitude / have different priorities than me!"

"I did something I wasn't supposed to to cut the waiting time for someone else who I will never meet, but is probably nervous about coming to live in japan and wanting to know where they will spend the next year o their life. They didn't even say thank you so I was a tad miffed."

I'm cool with people wanting to know how long it takes to cities, but without asking a thing about the school wa a bit weird I thought.

Cytrix
May 30th, 2011, 13:13
Your successor sucks

I remember at the Q&A there were all these people asking about the holidays and how often they'll get to travel, and if they were in a small town how will they be able to travel to the larger cities. Lame.

lilyanphino
May 30th, 2011, 13:17
Those people clearly don't put priority on the fact they are going to Japan for WORK not to travel around all the time. (Although that's fun too, but you are there to work first and foremost.)

Easy_money
May 30th, 2011, 13:19
I remember at the Q&A there were all these people asking about the holidays and how often they'll get to travel, and if they were in a small town how will they be able to travel to the larger cities.

And there's something wrong with that?

Miss_igirisu
May 30th, 2011, 13:20
I dunno I guess they adertise it as a programme on which you can travel japan, but you'll be at school most of the time so I would have thought info in that would determine how happy you're going to be more than how many minutes it takes to get somewhere.

Easy_money
May 30th, 2011, 13:23
Those people clearly don't put priority on the fact they are going to Japan for WORK not to travel around all the time. (Although that's fun too, but you are there to work first and foremost.

Yes, because you know exactly what their priorities are... :rolleyes:

God forbid someone might want to travel on the weekends, and might be curious how to go about it. They are all clearly just punks on a lark. :rolleyes:

Cytrix
May 30th, 2011, 13:26
Oh I will be travelling during the weekends (when I can), but these people made it sound like all they cared about was how often they could hop over to the mainland and explore China/Korea/Thailand etc. and how often they were actually required to be at work.

Easy_money
May 30th, 2011, 13:35
If they are planning on simply using JET to travel etc. they have the right idea.

scarreddragon
May 30th, 2011, 14:04
"I did something I wasn't supposed to to cut the waiting time for someone else who I will never meet, but is probably nervous about coming to live in japan and wanting to know where they will spend the next year o their life. They didn't even say thank you so I was a tad miffed."

I'm cool with people wanting to know how long it takes to cities, but without asking a thing about the school wa a bit weird I thought.

Well for one they might not know you weren't supposed to, and may not have said thank you because they expected someone to contact them. It doesn't excuse them from not being polite, of course.

I only asked a few questions about my placement at a time from the people who contacted me, when in reality I wanted to send 5 pages of questions about EVERYTHING. I didn't because I figured I'd annoy the hell out of them, so I tried to find as much as I could on my own. Maybe he just doesn't want to bug you, or maybe he is fine with finding out when he gets here. Either way, I don't think he is an terrible person for not asking about the school!

Dandy
May 30th, 2011, 14:15
Well for one they might not know you weren't supposed to, and may not have said thank you because they expected someone to contact them. It doesn't excuse them from not being polite, of course.

I only asked a few questions about my placement at a time from the people who contacted me, when in reality I wanted to send 5 pages of questions about EVERYTHING. I didn't because I figured I'd annoy the hell out of them, so I tried to find as much as I could on my own. Maybe he just doesn't want to bug you, or maybe he is fine with finding out when he gets here. Either way, I don't think he is an terrible person for not asking about the school!

I have to agree with this. Maybe I'm a little OCD - but I've already typed up a list of things to ask my pred. But I know I can't send it all at once for fear of coming off as a little looney/annoying.

Still though, my first couple questions will be about my schools and the apartment - the places I will be at for most of my time.

Ewok Pride
May 30th, 2011, 14:26
Its too bad your successor wasn't appreciative of your efforts. I think that if I were contacted, I would at least say thank you.

I think that there are many of us out there who would be very happy to hear early. I understand that were not supposed to know for a reason, but I still check these forums daily to see if there's any information.

I like the guessing game, so please keep the initials and clues coming!

AVN
May 30th, 2011, 17:31
I contacted my guy at the weekend. Found him in facebook. I dunno, he didn't seem that happy and grateful that I'd told him. It's late this year and I was just being nice and letting him know..

That happened to my friend too! Seems like the people who really care aren't finding out and those who don't care are getting contacted.

Muffles
May 30th, 2011, 21:28
Well he seems keen. Wonder if he'll drop out.

patjs
May 30th, 2011, 22:02
probably just your standard fucktard here to party in tokyo and meet japanese girls.

im happy my successor is gracious and generally a nice guy.

Syddi
May 31st, 2011, 10:01

Hey Miss_igirisu, some people are just like that.....ungrateful!!!!!!!but we are all doing JET for different reasons, which if u were my predecessor wld be very happy to hear from him/her

okinomiyaki
June 1st, 2011, 06:17
The UK JET twitter said they haven't heard anything from Tokyo yet. But they'll update it when they've sent out the letters. I don't think it'll be Friday for us.

Cytrix
June 1st, 2011, 06:30
Yay for countries that emaillll. If not Friday, then Tuesday will be okay for me. We won't get any notification here in NZ on Monday, as it's a public holiday, and luckily my school is taking the Tuesday off as well, so I don't have to deal with people asking me WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO LIVE?! constantly

okinomiyaki
June 1st, 2011, 06:33
I'm off for a long weekend from Thursday so that should help me ignore placements for a while.

Sounds like it might be next week anyway. Is it just me, or is it easier to deal with now? I don't mind not knowing.

RuntimeUK
June 1st, 2011, 06:34
Those countries that get emailed everything are lucky :/ here in the UK everything has to be by post..so we have to wait for them to receive the stuff from Tokyo through the post...then wait for them to sort it all out at their end, then wait for the slow postal service to actually get them through our doors grrrrrrrrrr. I understand the reasons for the delays and everything, and it's to be expected, but I really wish they would use email, it would be a lot faster, easier and cheaper for everyone!

I don't think the UK will get them until towards the end of June at this rate! Hopefully most of us will be lucky and get preds contacting us! So...any preds who are lurking out there, I'm sure there are lots of successors who would be very grateful if you did contact them :)

Muffles
June 1st, 2011, 06:35
I think being on the forums is making me feel more antsy about it than I otherwise would. Could avoid and then the time would just whizz by!

Cytrix
June 1st, 2011, 06:37
It would be easier if people didn't keep on asking me about it. If I was still waiting to hand in my resignation, I'd be stressing out...am so glad I stopped being a dick about it and handed it in. Far less stress now.

Ewok Pride
June 1st, 2011, 06:48
Its a good thing that it will probably come by email here in Canada. Canada post might go on strike this Friday.

Postal workers could strike this week - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/05/30/canada-post-strike.html)

Beth James
June 1st, 2011, 07:03
I'm leaving tomorrow for a job, by the time I get to a computer again (late June) all this will probably have blown over. I'm fine with waiting, though.

Miss_igirisu
June 1st, 2011, 07:51
probably just your standard fucktard here to party in tokyo and meet japanese girls.

Dunno, perhaps. I think a person who wanted to play around in Japan instead of someone who wanted to teach and have a good job, would fit in better in my placement.

He seemed pretty nice, (he called me ma'am!) it's just that he showed no appreciation. Looks like they're not being told for a while yet anyway so he can sit there with the little information I've given him because I wont be giving him anymore.

ten_of_spades
June 1st, 2011, 08:41
Its a good thing that it will probably come by email here in Canada. Canada post might go on strike this Friday.

Postal workers could strike this week - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/05/30/canada-post-strike.html)

Hopefully Toronto joins the rest of the world and uses email now instead of Canada Post as in past years.

I still think mine was more accurate.

MCC
June 1st, 2011, 11:06
Maybe the person was just shocked/overwhelmed and forgot to ask all the questions they were supposed to ask? Or just not that happy with the placement and needs time to let it sink in. I would be pretty happy if I got Mie, since I know someone living in the prefecture and it's a good place from what I've read.

I do worry I might get a not very kind pred though. I'm not sure if it's just the impression I get, but some preds really don't give a toss about it and get pretty annoyed when asked too many questions. Considering they've all been in the same situation, it's a very nasty attitude, but oh well, not everyone in this world is nice and JET probably gets its share of idiots.

Anyway, I wish my pred would contact me. I don't want to start packing before I know I have a placement.

Miss_igirisu
June 1st, 2011, 11:11
Well I sent him another mail saying to contact me when he knows officially then I can send him the official essay, and reminded him not to mention it on the net yet as I could get into trouble.

His reply may or may not effect how much help I give him from now. Hopefully he gives a better impression.

But really I'm just hoping he's a bad person so everyone resents him being there and want me to come back because they love me so much.

ten_of_spades
June 1st, 2011, 11:50
But you're a she... shes are always more loved, if not because they're nice then because of their potentially gropable breasts.

Maybe he knows he has no chance with her because he's not a one-legged pump-jockey.

Also, about asking preds questions, I personally was glad to answer as many as my successor had. Some are knobs, but I think most would be glad to help out as long as you're not asking stupid questions like "how make babby?"

Eudox
June 1st, 2011, 12:03
I just got an email from the embassy and got very excited thinking it was my placement notification. But no, they just wanted me to pick up my JET books. Sigh.

Cytrix
June 1st, 2011, 12:05
Whut? I haven't received any correspondence with the Auckland embassy since my shortlist reply arrived there.

I want my JET books...

Eudox
June 1st, 2011, 12:15
It's because I'm going away for two weeks and miss the orientation/Q&A thing where they hand them out. Don't worry, you haven't missed out.

lizbuff
June 1st, 2011, 13:36
I was just coming on to say that I had emailed both the girls who are coming to my town and that I was dead happy that they seemed excited to come and when I logged in I had a message from Nak and she is one of the girls I emailed.

AWESOME!

Miss_igirisu
June 1st, 2011, 13:50
I'm all for answering questions. Heck i asked enough.

I just meant that I won't go as far as to hand draw him maps and give him advice that it tool me weeks to work out and so on :-p

Miss_igirisu
June 1st, 2011, 14:54
You're actually teaching him more than you think about Japan with your passive aggressiveness! Get him used to that before he gets here so he won't be so surprised!

Haha! True. I was given the basic info but I was ready to go all out for him. I'm sure I still will anyway because I'm the type that goes ott with everything haha. My hand made maps are pretty awesome.

News: my sup said just now "we should hear back from him from tomorrow" but seeing as he's not been offcially told yet, I expect that means that people are told officially and are told to contact their sups from tomorrow.

Miss_igirisu
June 1st, 2011, 15:22
It won't be in the UK, that's for sure.

I will be cursing every single person who hears officially before me.

I think the new zealies usually get told first but Brits are towards the end. You never know, brits might be told tomorrow too.

Strange_quark
June 1st, 2011, 15:26
Well, yesterday the JET desk updated their twitter feed with this:
"Due to the ongoing situation in Japan we have unfortunately not yet received JET placement information from Tokyo."

So I think Thursday's the earliest we'll hear, but that strikes me as unlikely.

I'm not that bothered about placement tbh, I'd like to know about orientation. Not stressing that much yet :)

Miss_igirisu
June 1st, 2011, 15:32
Perhaps the London office will get the placements tomorrow then? Dunno. It's super late. I wonder if they'll even have a London orientation. Maybe like the night before you all leave? Dunno. It sure was fun though.

Strange_quark
June 1st, 2011, 16:04
The LO is on the 4th and 5th of July, according to the info they sent with the shortlist notifications... but that's all they've said.

*grumble*

I'm looking forward to it :D

Muffles
June 1st, 2011, 17:13
Me too!

And placement's coming out this Thursday? Haha no way.

kyaillya
June 1st, 2011, 20:31
I'm looking forward to LO too. I think that's when it will really dawn on me that I'm going to Japan. Still currently in lala land.

MCC
June 1st, 2011, 21:03
According to the JET Desk in London even if they get the information it takes a while for then to prepare the packs and we brits don't get emailed about our positions. So since they still haven't heard from Tokyo, then I don't believe we will receive our placement packs until next week. I sort of gave up on it... time goes faster that way.

But the orientation is confirmed for those dates.

melty
June 1st, 2011, 22:23
I'm looking forward to it :D

Even I'm looking forward to it (even though I'm not going to Japan!!)

I really like the enthusiasm at the London Orientation - yay for happy JET noobies :)

Muffles
June 1st, 2011, 22:34
Hey melty will you be helping out then?

totty137
June 2nd, 2011, 10:56
Our Q&A is on June 11th. I'm thinking at this rate we won't even know placements by the time we do our Q&A. I don't even know if it is worth driving all the way to the consulate to answer questions I could you guys or my predecessor the only question I have for the officials is WHERE THE HELL AM I GOING?

lilyanphino
June 2nd, 2011, 11:04
Totty, are you with Nashville?

totty137
June 2nd, 2011, 11:11
Yeah, I'm with Nashville. I've just started posting here at ITIL. I've kind of been reading off and on, but I haven't gotten a chance to really sit down and chat. I was iffy at first about the site because I heard that things could get a little vicious, but from what I've seen everyone just seems to be blunt and honest about things we really need to know about.

lilyanphino
June 2nd, 2011, 11:16
I thought so! I'm with Nashville too (my name is below yours on the google groups list), but I'm not going to the Q&A on the 11th because it's a 5 hour drive and would be a financial waste considering any questions I've had are easy to find via the internet/forums.

totty137
June 2nd, 2011, 11:24
Sweet lily! I already RSVPed that I would go, I assumed I would have placement info by then and my job will give the time off with pay for some unknown reason, so I'll take it.

KaiKinapela
June 2nd, 2011, 15:04
I do think it is late this year. I am just finishing up my third year and I remember finding out in late May. Right after I got home from graduation.

Tho I know a lot of places have known for a while. I think they just wait to finalize. I have a friend who is an ALT here and her CO lets her and the other ALTs go through the list of potential people and pick who they want. They knew about it back in late April or early May.

Tyr
June 2nd, 2011, 20:33
So looks like the rumours of the 2nd were incorrect. 4 hours till the 3rd in Japan! Hopefully some people have some insomniac preds who like working at night.
Upon waking up tomorrow I should know based on all intel...not that I'm holding my breath.

Tho I know a lot of places have known for a while. I think they just wait to finalize. I have a friend who is an ALT here and her CO lets her and the other ALTs go through the list of potential people and pick who they want. They knew about it back in late April or early May.
Wow.
How does Jet HQ decide which prefectures get first pick and which get the rejects then?

Miss_igirisu
June 2nd, 2011, 22:11
Some people get to say "we want someone from XXXX country" but they don't (as far as I'm aware) get to pick from a pile of people.

cielbleu
June 3rd, 2011, 03:38
Apparently someone at my consulate created a database entitled "placements" in our Yahoo group and then promptly deleted it. But Yahoo still saw fit to notify me by email, and now I'm delirious, haha! :043:

MCAS
June 3rd, 2011, 05:12
Perhaps they've finally received news from Tokyo?

Eudox
June 3rd, 2011, 05:20
Pleaseee let it be today.

Cytrix
June 3rd, 2011, 06:12
Seriously, I need it to be today because I'll go crazy over the long weekend waiting.

Tyr
June 3rd, 2011, 06:18
Starting from 3 hours from now (9am on the 3rd in Japan) some people should be hearing. Hope I'm one!

Miss_igirisu
June 3rd, 2011, 08:32
If your pred is going to know about you, they prob would have heard by now.

I asked the Singapore girl here so I could find the person coming in an she says she won't know until the start of July.

Cytrix
June 3rd, 2011, 13:30
Well, it's 4:30pm here on a Friday. Unless placements arrive magically in the next hour, us Kiwis will now be waiting until at least Tuesday before we hear anything. Lame.

Strange_quark
June 3rd, 2011, 13:33
I doubt I'll hear today either, but I expected that. Originally thought the 6th, but I'm changing my mind til the 8th at the earliest.

Miss_igirisu
June 3rd, 2011, 13:43
Any idea how many have heard?
Certainly I've seen a fair few people saying they know but can't mention till the 2nd/3rd/whenever.

No idea. I am the only person round here who has been given the whole application to see, a friend of mine has been shown the papers briefy but it was so fast he could only see that they were both America and one from florida.

Bindlestiff
June 3rd, 2011, 13:57
Florida, huh? Not too many of us from the Miami consulate. I'm intrigued!

Miss_igirisu
June 3rd, 2011, 14:04
I don't know any more than that I'm afraid but if it is you then I sure hope you're a guy and that you can drive. The placement isn't one of the easiest ones.

Bindlestiff
June 3rd, 2011, 14:08
Not a guy, though I can drive. We'll just have to see! What in particular is rough about it, out of curiosity?

Miss_igirisu
June 3rd, 2011, 14:18
Giant spiders, crabs, bears, mukade, monkeys....
It's not for the feint hearted but for a guy who likes to live on the wild side. There is a girl here this year and she does ok in that placement. It's fairly out of the way (1hour drive to get to us- the nearest people) so i gues that's why she only did a year

Bindlestiff
June 3rd, 2011, 14:32
Thanks for the info! Sounds pretty intense. Looks like I'll need to dust off those old bear traps ;) (if I'm the one heading out there.)

Tyr
June 3rd, 2011, 19:23
Well thats that, I woke up and checked my mail and no placement for me.
Looks like my pred isn't one of the 3rd people.
Either that or (s)he's lazy.
Or non-existant,

Cytrix
June 3rd, 2011, 19:26
I can just bet it's going to happen the same as interview results...you guys will hear tomorrow, and us Kiwi's will have to wait until after the long weekend for our results. LAME

Tyr
June 3rd, 2011, 19:40
Why would it be any different about you hearing on Saturday than us?

Cytrix
June 3rd, 2011, 19:49
Our consulate is going to be shut up for the next three days for the public holiday, so we won't be hearing until next week, if results come out tomorrow for you guys.

kyaillya
June 3rd, 2011, 21:01
Will the Embassy be open on a Saturday???
I thought it was M-F thing...

Strange_quark
June 3rd, 2011, 21:09
The UK embassy is Mon to Fri.

ichigokuma
June 3rd, 2011, 22:59
Anyone know if they're getting a/some South Africans?:^_^: *fishing for info* lol

Tyr
June 4th, 2011, 02:12
Anyone with any intel on some placements now that people are allowed to tell?
I can't find anything relevant to me (long shot) but:
Someone from Kansas, last name beginning with K, is going to Yamanashi.
Kentucky folk also seem likely to go to Yamanashi.

So...yeah. Yamanashi heavy but they seem to be pretty much the only prefecture with a decent, active and publically available forum. Even prefectural facebook groups don't seem so active. Certainly not discussing that.

TexasToki
June 4th, 2011, 10:49
My BoE told me they will mail the information packets to America on the 10th and then my successor should contact me. When I commented that I knew my placement from the embassy back in mid-May, my supervisor seemed surprised. She whispered something about sending me information about my successor on the 10th, but I'm not sure. I would have liked to have started exchanging information sooner before getting caught up in the maelstrom of good-byes.

Is anyone else's prefecture already doing their farewell ceremonies? I still have 6 weeks!!

Ah well, those of you that are waiting for placements have my empathy. I would have been driven insane by all the people that started asking me where I was going once I found out I was shortlisted. Good luck and hang in there!

jwkelley
June 5th, 2011, 21:19
My BoE told me they will mail the information packets to America on the 10th and then my successor should contact me. When I commented that I knew my placement from the embassy back in mid-May, my supervisor seemed surprised. She whispered something about sending me information about my successor on the 10th, but I'm not sure. I would have liked to have started exchanging information sooner before getting caught up in the maelstrom of good-byes.

Is anyone else's prefecture already doing their farewell ceremonies? I still have 6 weeks!!

Ah well, those of you that are waiting for placements have my empathy. I would have been driven insane by all the people that started asking me where I was going once I found out I was shortlisted. Good luck and hang in there!

Are information packets the normal way of contacting people or are they normally additional information given to the pred. after they find out their placement via clair?

TexasToki
June 5th, 2011, 21:46
jwkelley -- Well, I won't presume to speak for anyone else outside of my own BoE. However, I found out from my embassy via email in mid-May 2009. My neighbors found out late May 2010 from the embassy via email. They then contacted us once they got the information packet. I actually tracked my pred down through this site before she knew anything about me.

ten_of_spades
June 6th, 2011, 12:06
FWIW, I got my letter from the embassy at the end of May that just listed my town name, an email from my predecessor on June 6th, and then a formal welcome package in the mail from my BoE about a week after that.

Tyr
June 6th, 2011, 19:19
Lurking on a current jet forum again- still no sign of anything and they're saying hopefully next week.
Ouch...

MCAS
June 6th, 2011, 20:57
Lurking on a current jet forum again- still no sign of anything and they're saying hopefully next week.
Ouch...

This is getting ridiculous.

jwkelley
June 6th, 2011, 21:20
This is getting ridiculous.

Not sure how valid any of the leaks are now. I have a feeling the situation holding everything up is probably somewhere in a Tokyo office away from the prying eyes and ears of snoopers.

MCAS
June 7th, 2011, 02:19
Not sure how valid any of the leaks are now. I have a feeling the situation holding everything up is probably somewhere in a Tokyo office away from the prying eyes and ears of snoopers.

Yeah, I was more commenting on the fact that they haven't released any of the information when in the past people have known two weeks ago. I've already learned to ignore rampant internet speculation after my own predictions have been incorrect.

Afiya
June 7th, 2011, 03:50
Just curious/anxious! Is anyone expecting a female successor from Trinidad? :^_^: I'll bring yummy West Indian food if you're my pred!

Lianwen
June 7th, 2011, 04:42
My friend was one of the ones contacted by the Kobe CIR.

He's excited, but he kinda expected that everyone had gotten their results already (he's the same guy that never checks his email).

It was funny, because he called me and was like, OMG you'll never guess where I'm placed...and I was like, Kobe?

And I was totally correct. I told him I was a mind reader. I don't understand why he never at least checks the forums.

Muffles
June 7th, 2011, 04:47
I wonder what they asked for...they seem to have picked people from all over.

Cytrix
June 7th, 2011, 08:24
Someone coming through the Melb consulate is replacing me! My supervisor told me no contact till the 13th, so maybe that consulate group will know by then. Hang in there guys!

From here (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5245&start=375)

ten_of_spades
June 7th, 2011, 09:52
If anyone knows a 22-year old male fine arts major from Canada, I know where his placement is.

keekers
June 7th, 2011, 13:35
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/16931-release-placement-information-has-been-delayed.html#post701133

hew1281
June 8th, 2011, 02:04
delayed... it happens.

just hoping for more hints. :)

Waxxy
July 8th, 2011, 05:11
Im placed in fukuoka yoshizuka:), who else is in fukuoka?

Muffles
July 8th, 2011, 05:51

I think I met your successor at orientation. He's loveeely.

patjs
July 9th, 2011, 11:22
my successor is from the US though

Muffles
July 10th, 2011, 05:45
oops, I got that one wrong then.

Also just realised that a bunch of posts got deleted, we got a new applying mod??