PDA

View Full Version : A Kotatsu?

Easy_money
May 31st, 2011, 10:13
A teacher just gave me these work sheets to correct.

Most of them had written "Kotatsu is a heater"

I changed them to "A kotatsu is a heater"

This is right yeah? Or did I fuck up bad?

word
June 1st, 2011, 11:38
No, you're right. "Kotatsu" is not a pronoun.

If they were using it in the plural form, it should have read "Kotatsu are heaters." I think your correction is the better way to go.

greengoo
June 23rd, 2011, 23:27
I know Japanese students have problems when it comes to "A book, the book, books, etc" because of the non-differentiation between those Japanese.

I agree with word on your correction.

AliDimayev
June 24th, 2011, 04:10
I know Japanese students have problems when it comes to "A book, the book, books, etc" because of the non-differentiation between those Japanese.

I agree with word on your correction.

Maybe it is just a British thing.
Ya know.

He is in hospital. VERSUS He is in the hospital.

word
June 24th, 2011, 09:15
Maybe it is just a British thing.
Ya know.

He is in hospital. VERSUS He is in the hospital.
Well, Americans sometimes use similar language, although it is unusual for us to use "hospital" in this manner. I'm not really sure why.

An American might say, however, "He is in school" vs. "He is in the school." The implied meaning is a bit different; the former would indicate his current occupation or activity (the specific school is unimportant, so "the" is not required), the latter would indicate his location (both the speaker and the listener understand which school is being referred to, so "the" is appropriate). It's weird how this works. Americans don't usually use "hospital" this way, though; all hospitals are the same, in some way, and are referred to as "the" hospital? Again, no idea why. It's an interesting difference, to be sure.