PDA

View Full Version : Did I offend my interview panel?

Rachman
February 26th, 2005, 09:21
I just had my interview this wednesday and I think everything went well
with the questions/demo lesson. However, when I left I thanked them
and added "gomen," I was told by a friend to finish with "gambatte
ne" but for some reason I said "gomen". The two Japanese men on the
panel gave me a very stern look :x . I asked a Japanese friend if I
offended them, and she said probably not, but added that "gomen" is only
to be used with friends or family and has been used by samurai as a
farewell after they sleighed their enemy. Crap.
How much emphasis could be placed on the final thing I said anyways? What do you think?
I just need to vent.

jane_is_ace
February 26th, 2005, 10:07
I'd say stop worrying and get on with your life for the next few months. Theres no way you can turn back the clock and un-say it. (Incidentally, I have no idea about the meaning of this word so my advice isn't coming from that angle if you know what i mean). There's a long time between now and the next stages of selection and thinking about one soiltary word is not the way to spend it.
If you are successful and you do get to Japan, you are probably going to say a lot more offensive things by accident here. The way you act may also be sometimes unintentionally offensive. The interview panel are probably well aware of the amount of mistakes learners make too.
With the amazing gift of hindsight, the best thing you can do now is go out and learn some Japanese whilst enjoying yourself with friends and family.
Having said all that, I was offered similar advice after interview and it didn't stop me fretting about it ...