PDA

View Full Version : Optional orienation question.

MCAS
June 2nd, 2011, 08:08
So I'm having a bit of a dilemma here. I have the chance to go up to ME to visit a couple really good friends next weekend. It's probably going to be my last chance to see them before heading over to Japan. However, that's the same weekend as an optional orientation session being held by my consulate. Is the orientation session worth going to, or is it going to be a rehash of a lot of the things discussed on this forum?

tenderRondo
June 2nd, 2011, 08:11
is this an attempt at trolling or is mcas just really stupid?

dont go

MCAS
June 2nd, 2011, 08:13
I wasn't planning on going, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be missing something important. Thanks for the reply tR.

lilyanphino
June 2nd, 2011, 08:40
I'm kinda glad you asked this because I'm going to be missing the Q&A session because it starts at 8 and I live 5 hours away. (I'm not paying for a hotel either.) If it's nothing important, then I am guilt free in not going.

MCAS
June 2nd, 2011, 08:42
You are welcome, I figured somebody had to get egg on their face and ask the question, so I volunteered myself.

Punchy
June 2nd, 2011, 08:43
I went to my consulate's optional orientation and I enjoyed it. I met cool new people (and saw all the weirdos). The information made me feel a lot more comfortable and prepared for departure, so that was cool.

I'd say it's up to you. It was informative and got me even more pumped to go, but if you have something better to do, go with that.

Cytrix
June 2nd, 2011, 09:08
I'm going to mine due to the fact that's where I get my GIH and Japanese books etc. plus I want to meet those from Auckland that are going to Japan with me. And because I'm a super nerd (who will be taking a notebook and pen with multiple colours on it so I can take notes of stuff I already know).

The only downside is it's the school ball on the same night, and I wanted to go this year, but am going to the dinner after the Q&A session instead. I'm all for team building...

Tarquin
June 2nd, 2011, 10:09
You'll probably not learn anything super important if it's optional, otherwise it would be compulsory or they would email you the details etc.

That being said it's quite handy to do a bit of networking, see some people who are going to be going to your prefecture etc. If you think you can live without that then you've got your answer.

japaniki
June 2nd, 2011, 10:28
I'm going to mine due to the fact that's where I get my GIH and Japanese books etc. plus I want to meet those from Auckland that are going to Japan with me. And because I'm a super nerd (who will be taking a notebook and pen with multiple colours on it so I can take notes of stuff I already know).

The only downside is it's the school ball on the same night, and I wanted to go this year, but am going to the dinner after the Q&A session instead. I'm all for team building...

You'll have to take notes for me on anything specific to Kiwi's! I'm still in Melbourne and won't make it back in time. I'm hoping to attend the one in Melbourne but it would be handy to get the NZ specifics.

jamesp
June 2nd, 2011, 10:47
I'm planning on going, but only because I've got nothing better to do. Feel free to PM afterwards and I'll let you know if anything interesting happens.

Cytrix
June 2nd, 2011, 10:47
Will do! I can type them up for you later.

Easy_money
June 2nd, 2011, 10:48
It will be shit. Just a bunch of people saying "ESID" every 15 seconds and beginning the answer to every question with "Every situation is different, but at my school..."

There's plenty of time to meet people at the compulsory orientations.

jwkelley
June 2nd, 2011, 16:49
Dang you were the one I was going to ask what happened at the orientations. You do get to play around in the boston childrens museum. Probably your last chance for that ever.

Alphabet
June 2nd, 2011, 17:55
You'll probably not learn anything super important if it's optional, otherwise it would be compulsory or they would email you the details etc.

That being said it's quite handy to do a bit of networking, see some people who are going to be going to your prefecture etc. If you think you can live without that then you've got your answer.

Agreeing with this 100%

MCAS
June 2nd, 2011, 23:06
Dang you were the one I was going to ask what happened at the orientations. You do get to play around in the boston childrens museum. Probably your last chance for that ever.

Sorry about that dude. Oh well, I'm sure there are people who are going we can get in touch with about whats going to happen.

greengoo
June 3rd, 2011, 04:55
I'm going to mine. I'm gonna find the biggest toughest JET then beat him up. That way everybody will know not to mess with me.

Cytrix
June 3rd, 2011, 06:10
Ours is compulsory over here...pretty much if you don't turn up you're not going to Japan. Awesome. I'm going to play some games...

- Count the weeaboo
- Decide who is the most annoying and become their mortal enemy
- Tally up how many inane questions are asked

Eudox
June 3rd, 2011, 06:52
Just say you'll be out of the country... it's not like they're going to ask for proof (if you don't want to go, that is).

bigbennynz
June 3rd, 2011, 07:52
Yo Cy!

Don't forget hitting up a bar after!!! Going to be the best part of the whole day...well unless the dinner is amazing which I am highly doubtful of

Cytrix
June 3rd, 2011, 07:56
Oh yes the bar'ing will be most excellent! MOST EXCELLENT.

MCAS
June 3rd, 2011, 08:30
Ours is compulsory over here...pretty much if you don't turn up you're not going to Japan. Awesome. I'm going to play some games...

- Count the weeaboo
- Decide who is the most annoying and become their mortal enemy
- Tally up how many inane questions are asked

We have one the day before we leave for Japan that is compulsory. That's the other reason why I now don't feel bad skipping the one in a couple weeks. I'll definitely be playing those games at the compulsory one though.

lilyanphino
June 3rd, 2011, 08:40
Exactly, this first one is just optional. The second one is the mandatory one for U.S. people.

JackAttack
June 3rd, 2011, 09:46

I met one of my best friends now at the optional orientation, but depending on the consulate there might not be much opportunity for networking. I think out of the almost 200 JETs leaving from Chicago my year, maybe only 30 went to the optional orientation? There was a much greater opportunity for me to meet people at the required pre-d orientation later. The consulate sat us all together by prefecture at the dinner, so... yeah. I'm still glad I went to the optional one, partly because the guy yelling at us to bring $2000 was hilarious, but if you have something better to do then I don't think you're missing much at all.

totty137
June 4th, 2011, 11:45
I RSVP'd that I would go. But from what I've noticed of the people from my area pretty much no one is going. I can understand since we serve like a 5 state area and that can be a really long drive. I'm thinking of e-mailing my coordinator and telling her I can't make it, because I don't really wanna sit through the whole thing (to be honest, from what I can tell from our google group most of the people from our area irk me).

Also it is my mom's birthday and she wants myself and my husband to take a trip with her to Vegas for gambling. Definitely better idea I think.

Alphabet
June 4th, 2011, 12:55
I become good friends with no-one I met at the pre-departure orientation. Even if you're going to be in the same ken, it doesn't mean you are going to be near each other or have the same thing in common. Not such a big deal if you miss it.

mothy
June 4th, 2011, 13:13
Every optional JET activity should be missed. In fact, if you can miss some non-optional ones as well you should do it.

Hintalove
June 5th, 2011, 17:14
I'm going to go. It's not far and I've nothing better to be doing that morning.

Tintin
June 10th, 2011, 14:20
I think you should skip the orientation if it is not mandatory. It is good to speak to former JETs, and it eases your worries, but any questions you have can be answered just as easily on this website or others.

TakoBakko
June 11th, 2011, 11:32
My coordinator paints you forum Jets as losers who don't know what you're talking about. But that's probably her way of increasing numbers at her workshops and orientation so she's not speaking to a crowd of two. Of which consists a fat sweaty otaku guy and a super duper japanophile girl...with pig tails and purikura on her phone. *shudders*

Antonath
June 11th, 2011, 13:22
I had two orientations before I came over: one official, the other run by AJET. The official one was great for answering the same questions as the various forums (usually more than once: baggage allowances were explained at least ten times), trying to teach basic Japanese to people who either didn't want to learn it or already had, and pretending that we would matter when we came out here.

The unofficial one was great because people were allowed to bring their parents, and the hiilarity of watching them fussing over their Little Johny Weeaboo was endless. The people running that orientation were also the only ones who would admit that the typical Japanese student's english level is somewhere between shit and "what do you like sports", and that all the higher-ability stuff we'd been told we'd be doing was likely to be BS.

Edit: That said, I didn't learn anything from the unofficial orientation that I hadn't figured out from forums.

lilyanphino
June 11th, 2011, 13:32
That's pretty unprofessional of a coordinator to say that forum JETs are losers who don't know what they are talking about. I can say 100% that I have learned the most relevant and important information from blogs and forums.

Tarquin
June 11th, 2011, 13:36
My coordinator paints you forum Jets as losers who don't know what you're talking about.

Ahh professionalism!
I would hazard a guess that all information in the Applying forum is pretty accurate.

TakoBakko
June 11th, 2011, 15:38
There's a difference between painting and saying. I added a little bit to it to give it that wonderfully descriptive quality. :)

Jordan
June 11th, 2011, 19:35
You can't really expect anyone to admit to their clients that their job is unimportant and it's just as easy to do it yourself. That way madness and economic collapse lies.

TakoBakko
June 11th, 2011, 20:54
Don't worry, I trust you guys...well maybe trust is a little strong-a-word. Hmm.

Cytrix
June 13th, 2011, 21:18
Here's an update about the Q&A session just held in Christchurch over here in NZ (and during which they had two large aftershocks which brought down a few more buildings...ahhh Chch...stop being such a dick)

A wee bit of info for you: the chch Q/A seminar was very interesting today, especially due to the magnitude 5.5 and 6 quakes we had during it. Was a bit of a different experience to be diving on the floor under chairs in front of people you've just met. Anyway, lots of really great info, good questions and answers and lots of useful 'takeaways', like the JET handbook and info on the nuclear situation in Fukushima, etc. Another really interesting thing they had today was a list of the prefectures that chch people are going to, with 3 prefectures having 2 or 3 chch peeps sent there. Although still no news on which individuals were going where, but they were expecting it would be this week and they would notify us first by email. But for people like me that have become a bit OCD with their email inbox, waiting to find out where they are going, this was good news to me. Also, they're not sending any JET people this year to Fukushima and a couple of other prefectures in that area.

From here (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5457&start=120)

Edit: Looks like the 'no Fukushima' comment is relating to the Chch JETs, as they've had to deal with a quake-damaged city for so long now that they're not being placed in another quake-damaged city.

Nak
June 13th, 2011, 22:15
I was going to say..o_o

melty
June 14th, 2011, 00:54
I had two orientations before I came over: one official, the other run by AJET...

The unofficial one was great because people were allowed to bring their parents, and the hiilarity of watching them fussing over their Little Johny Weeaboo was endless. The people running that orientation were also the only ones who would admit that the typical Japanese student's english level is somewhere between shit and "what do you like sports", and that all the higher-ability stuff we'd been told we'd be doing was likely to be BS.

Edit: That said, I didn't learn anything from the unofficial orientation that I hadn't figured out from forums.

Do you mean the Q&A Day run by JETAA?
(Sooo many acronyms I can see why folks might get confused)

patjs
June 14th, 2011, 07:39
I met one of my best friends now at the optional orientation, but depending on the consulate there might not be much opportunity for networking. I think out of the almost 200 JETs leaving from Chicago my year, maybe only 30 went to the optional orientation? There was a much greater opportunity for me to meet people at the required pre-d orientation later. The consulate sat us all together by prefecture at the dinner, so... yeah. I'm still glad I went to the optional one, partly because the guy yelling at us to bring $2000 was hilarious, but if you have something better to do then I don't think you're missing much at all.

That guy was great. The speakers were, to put it bluntly, kind of weirdos. I wouldn't sweat missing it if you are busy.

AliDimayev
June 24th, 2011, 04:18
So I'm having a bit of a dilemma here. I have the chance to go up to ME to visit a couple really good friends next weekend. It's probably going to be my last chance to see them before heading over to Japan. However, that's the same weekend as an optional orientation session being held by my consulate. Is the orientation session worth going to, or is it going to be a rehash of a lot of the things discussed on this forum?

MCAS?

Sounds like you hail from Massachvsetts.
ME?
You mean Maine?

Around what parts?

uthinkimlost?
June 24th, 2011, 04:42
Around what parts?

perineum and septum.

MCAS
June 24th, 2011, 08:03
MCAS?

Sounds like you hail from Massachvsetts.
ME?
You mean Maine?

Around what parts?

Yeah, I am from Mass, it was my high school nickname. In order for you get the reference that must mean you're from Mass to then. One of my friends got a job repairing boats up in Bar Harbor and so he and his girlfriend moved up there.