PDA

View Full Version : Interac or Amity?

宇宙人侍
June 4th, 2011, 03:02
So I just got my offer for employment from Interac! I'm really excited! The only catch is, I have an Amity interview at the end of this month. I've applied to Amity before, gotten to the second interview stage, and then been denied. I'm pretty sure I can learn from my mistakes and get the job this time tho. Amity pays better than interac and is better in terms of rent, apartment location and airfair(Amity pays for your ticket back). My interview is not until June 25th, and even then if I get to the second day of interviews I have to wait another 3-4 weeks to know if I get a job offer by then. Will Interac expect me to be contractually obligated to them by that time? If i go with Interac, Ill be leaving late august but wont hear from Amity until late July, is this too late to make an official decision? I'm really stuck on what to do here....

twentytwo
June 4th, 2011, 06:18
So I just got my offer for employment from Interac! I'm really excited! The only catch is, I have an Amity interview at the end of this month. I've applied to Amity before, gotten to the second interview stage, and then been denied. I'm pretty sure I can learn from my mistakes and get the job this time tho. Amity pays better than interac and is better in terms of rent, apartment location and airfair(Amity pays for your ticket back). My interview is not until June 25th, and even then if I get to the second day of interviews I have to wait another 3-4 weeks to know if I get a job offer by then. Will Interac expect me to be contractually obligated to them by that time? If i go with Interac, Ill be leaving late august but wont hear from Amity until late July, is this too late to make an official decision? I'm really stuck on what to do here....

I don't know the specific workings of either company but I will say that I doubt that Interac would let you wait to give them notice until the end of July if your start date would be late August. These companies usually like 8-12 weeks to sort their internal going-ons as well as your Certificate of Eligibility/visa paperwork.

If you feel that you will be happy at Interac and there is a chance you won't land the job with Amity, I would take the job with Interac and not look back.

If you think you will land the job with Amity this time and won't be totally happy with Interac knowing that you might have had this chance, I would probably try to stretch Interac out as far as you can and try Amity, with the expectation that Interac will eventually tell you to commit or get lost.

I think that you should also think hard about the ALT vs. Eikaiwa situation as these two jobs will be very different. Among the JET population, ALT positions seem to be put on a pedestal while Eikaiwa positions are the devil, but in my experience most teachers get treated better (and paid better) in an Eikaiwa environment (obviously with JET as an exception).

shoegazer
June 4th, 2011, 06:33
I've recently been invited to an interview in Chicago on the 25th as well (possibly sooner in Toronto if I decide it's worth it). Are you sure you'd have to wait til the end of July to find out the result? I always thought Amity gets back to you in a few weeks' time. Also consider that, at least according to the email I got, due to the number of applicants, they might not be able to place new hires for a whopping 6-10 months after notification. This is really something to consider.

EMTQueen
June 4th, 2011, 11:22
Well, you got an offer and you know you'll be going to Japan in August. Might as well take that instead of risking Interac not wanting to be strung along and dropping their offer and then not getting Amity or getting it and not getting a placement for nearly another year.

Interac fall departure is just seven months, so you can get over there and find Amity job offers that require somebody already residing in Japan that you can take.

宇宙人侍
June 4th, 2011, 14:17
Hmm i see. Thanks guys! And yes, when I last interviewed with Amity it was almost 4 weeks before I got my rejection letter.