PDA

View Full Version : Airport Reunions?

Mental Sieve
June 7th, 2011, 05:54
Hey guys, so to briefly explain, my girlfriend is already in Japan. She's a student at a Japanese university, and we've been apart for the past couple months, so she's very eager to see me again when I get back to Japan with JET. And as you'd expect, if I was arriving normally in Japan, she'd be right outside of customs waiting.

But with JET, I know we that the program is paying for our plane tickets, from what I understand we are all flying together, and then we'll proceed to Tokyo and orientation. I also understand that we should treat the Tokyo Orientation as a formal business situation.

Soooo, when we arrive in the airport, do we just hop on the public transit (i.e. the Keisei-sen from Narita), in which case, one extra person probably won't matter much, or does JET pile us into a chartered bus and take roll call or something?

So I guess here's the even shorter form of the above, should i ask my girlfriend to wait for me in Tokyo, or would it be alright to meet her at the airport like we usually do?

ten_of_spades
June 7th, 2011, 06:02
You will be herded towards a bunch of chartered buses by a bunch of obnoxiously over-friendly and annoying poindexters. (On that note, I would recommend pricing out the luggage delivery service to your new hometown through Yamato and the other takkyubin services. I found out after the fact that Yamato was about 1000yen cheaper to my prefecture than whatever delivery company CLAIR fobbed off on us).

Anyways, a hotel reunion is best in this situation. Register with the JET desk, drop your stuff off in your room, then you're free to do whatever.

atheistwithfaith
June 7th, 2011, 07:00
In the UK materials they said that you will not be allowed to meet people at the airport and to get them to meet you at the hotel -- so I imagine that it will be the same for everyone arriving at Narita.

ten_of_spades
June 7th, 2011, 09:59
Just a heads up, but thry can't/won't do anyhing if someone comes to mee you at the airport. The buses run all day, so there's no rush. They just have to treat you like drooling retards because they're terrified you'll get lost in the airport, freak out and run home to mommy. That said, a hotel meeting is more convenient meeting place.

And don't show any of the welcoming dorks your passport once you've cleared customs.

Miss_igirisu
June 7th, 2011, 12:15
It might be better to get her to meet you at the keio. I myself had a few people waiting for me when I got there too.

AVN
June 7th, 2011, 12:33
And don't show any of the welcoming dorks your passport once you've cleared customs.

they asked you to?

Alphabet
June 7th, 2011, 13:37
Meet in the hotel. It's a long flight, you'll be hot sweaty and miserable by the time you get off the plane and outta the airport.

Sheepy
June 7th, 2011, 13:42
Aye meet her at the Keio a few hours after you get off the plane. Have yerself a wee Tam Shank at 30000ft if you can't wait

Tarquin
June 7th, 2011, 15:30
The thought of some new ALTs getting on public transport on their own is hysterical. I can only imagine how many would end up in Hokkaido.

ten_of_spades
June 7th, 2011, 21:36
Sad but true. There's always 'that guy' who ruins it for everyone.

they asked you to?

It's a bit of a blur but i don't think so. There is/was a clip in the new JET welcome video though sayin 'give Overly-Friendly Gary Gaijin' your passport if he asks on the way to the buses'. It's better to get into the habit of only showing it ro police or immigration (ie the only two groups that can legally ask to see your passport/gaijin card)

Jordan
June 7th, 2011, 22:49
There are worse times to be treated like a child than when you're jet lagged and exhausted after a flight. Just ask Muffles.

ten_of_spades
June 7th, 2011, 23:54
It's just so obnoxiously overdone. Setting up a welcome desk and saying 'welcome to Japan, the buses are that way -->' would've been fine. Instead you're running the gauntlet of over-caffeinated dorks.

The ass-wipery of Tokyo Orientation also makes the transition to Dick-machi, population 100, that much more jarring. Inaka Taro doesn't play that hand-holding game!

atheistwithfaith
June 8th, 2011, 00:59
Why do they even need to see your passport?

uthinkimlost?
June 8th, 2011, 01:32
There are worse times to be treated like a child than when you're jet lagged and exhausted after a flight. Just ask Muffles.

She just brings her dolly and woogie and she feels better about it.

ten_of_spades
June 8th, 2011, 02:25
Why do they even need to see your passport?

To make sure the customs officers put a red stamp on your work visa (a two-second fix at your contracting organization in the unlikely chance they don't do it, so nothing to worry about).

I imagine most of it is just to be snoops and/or patronizing though.

Tarquin
June 8th, 2011, 10:46
Mine never got stamped lol.

Sheepy
June 8th, 2011, 11:30
Oh wait... nevermind.

Anyway, to save this edit... I hated those JET pricks at the airport. My case was lost and I was late/lost/hungover... god I hated them so much.

Mental Sieve
June 8th, 2011, 22:04
Ok, so it's public transit, but a huge, over-caffeinated welcome wagon. gotcha.

Thanks guys!

ten_of_spades
June 8th, 2011, 22:37
The good news is, the TOA who takes the bus (which is usually only half-full, so there's room to stretch out) tends to be more sane and relaxed.

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 23:09
Mine was pretty full. :-(

Jordan
June 8th, 2011, 23:46
Even at that, the most full buses have nothing on even the emptiest economy flights.

uthinkimlost?
June 9th, 2011, 01:56
Even at that, the most full buses have nothing on even the emptiest economy flights.

You've never ridden a bus in Honolulu. Get on at the wrong time of day and there is every chance you'll get the New Delhi experience.

MCAS
June 9th, 2011, 07:58

Not buses per say, but riding the "T" in Boston around 4-5pm/anytime the Red Soxs have a home game will also give you the New Delhi experience. I'll take a cramped economy plane seat any day over that.

usernamefail
June 9th, 2011, 08:02
....The Bus...

It always had a habit of showing up 10 minutes before or after it was scheduled... or often times not at all! Awesome :D

The town to waikiki routes sucked so hard.

Tarquin
June 9th, 2011, 13:35
It's not a bus, it's a coach. all privately hired to ferry you to the hotel. There's nothing "public" about it, so stop freaking out about being crammed into it (though some people deserve it I'm sure)

Froren
June 9th, 2011, 14:20
a stagecoach?

Tarquin
June 9th, 2011, 15:05
No, like a greyhound bus.

uthinkimlost?
June 9th, 2011, 15:09
It's not a bus, it's a coach.

No, like a greyhound bus.

Wut

Tarquin
June 9th, 2011, 15:12
CLARIFICATION;
In the UK:

A bus:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Blacksburg_Transit_New_Flyer_low_floor_bus_interior.jpg

A coach:
http://www.usabuscharter.com/f550int_l_op_800x637.jpg
You will be riding on the latter.
Though don't expect anything quite as fancy.

uthinkimlost?
June 9th, 2011, 15:16
Oic. In the US:

A bus:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Blacksburg_Transit_New_Flyer_low_floor_bus_interior.jpg

A bus:
http://www.usabuscharter.com/f550int_l_op_800x637.jpg

Buses:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg

Tarquin
June 9th, 2011, 15:19
Here is where your alterations of the English language causes issue. If you left it the same you wouldn't have these problems.

Lol at number 3.

uthinkimlost?
June 9th, 2011, 15:22
They are occasionally called coaches, but not often at all. Usually by old people.

Tarquin
June 9th, 2011, 15:28
We do sometimes use two interchangably however (at least in my case) if I was trying to distinguish between the two specifically I'd say. People say "get on the fucking bus" when they mean a coach too, which is perfectly fine.

ten_of_spades
June 9th, 2011, 21:40
Life After the B.O.E. - USA vs UK (http://www.lifeaftertheboe.com/2010/02/16/usa-vs-uk/)

atheistwithfaith
June 9th, 2011, 22:20
CLARIFICATION;
In the UK:

A bus:

This picture is clearly staged. There are no chavs sitting in the back harassing the other passengers and playing hardcore at full volume on their shitty phones.

MCAS
June 9th, 2011, 22:21
Life After the B.O.E. - USA vs UK (http://www.lifeaftertheboe.com/2010/02/16/usa-vs-uk/)
You know what they say; American and Britian: Two countries separated by a common language.

word
June 9th, 2011, 22:32
LOL @ the kid with the gun.

Ini
June 10th, 2011, 00:48
how hard can it be??? get off the thing with wings, get on the long thing with 4 wheels, go to the big building with lots of rooms, meet the fat girl you boned on your exchange year, brag about it to the sweaty freaks who have never been to japan before.

Jordan
June 10th, 2011, 02:03
how hard can it be??? get off the thing with wings, get on the long thing with 4 wheels, go to the big building with lots of rooms, meet the fat girl you boned on your exchange year, brag about it to the sweaty freaks who have never been to japan before.
You forgot play MtG.