PDA

View Full Version : Release of placement information has been delayed

keekers
June 7th, 2011, 13:32
Hey everyone,

All of you waiting for a placement were supposed to be notified on June 2nd. However, I found a memo from CLAIR on my desk yesterday saying to hold off on notifying people of their placements because they are still processing the reply-forms. The process is taking longer this year, probably due to the earthquake/tsunami. It didn't say when COs can contact you, but it will probably be another few weeks or so, so just sit tight for now. If you have a really cool pred, they might ignore their CO and contact you directly.

Lego
June 7th, 2011, 15:17
All of them?

Miss_igirisu
June 7th, 2011, 15:39
Hey look at that, I'm really cool

uthinkimlost?
June 7th, 2011, 15:40
Hey look at that, I'm really cool

Debatable.

Miss_igirisu
June 7th, 2011, 15:50
Keekers said I am so it's true

Buckeye22314
June 7th, 2011, 15:54
I would probably consider the king weeaboo cool if he told me about my placement now. Another few weeks will be stretching my patience.

Sheepy
June 7th, 2011, 16:06
I might contact mine but I lost her email address

Buckeye22314
June 7th, 2011, 16:11
Did they tell you where she was from?

usernamefail
June 7th, 2011, 16:30
I'm not that worried about placements but I'm tired of family pestering me about it. I keep getting "why are you abandoning us?" and "Couldn't pick a place further away, could you?", etc. I know they're joking but there's always a small grain of truth behind those statements it seems.

At least I'm prepared for passive aggressive behavior?

Tyr
June 7th, 2011, 20:04
Still processing reply forms?
Blimey, how's that? That...is a lot less advanced than I thought.

And how has Kobe managed it if the problem is at Clair?

Alphabet
June 7th, 2011, 20:42
Heard this today too. Earthquake and Tsunami really caused a lot of delays. Give it another week or two.

MCAS
June 7th, 2011, 20:50
Still processing reply forms?
Blimey, how's that? That...is a lot less advanced than I thought.

And how has Kobe managed it if the problem is at Clair?

I think what it is is that the BoEs know who they are suppose to get, but CLAIR has to process the reply forms to see who decided to drop out of the program....Of course, this is just speculation on my part.

jetset
June 7th, 2011, 20:52
If the delay is so bad, why not allow predecessors to notify people anyway? So what if they have the name of someone who rejected a place on the programme? Surely, in that case, the ex-successor will just tell the predecessor and the issue will be settled.

ichigokuma
June 7th, 2011, 21:16
I agree with jetset, if the successor has subsequently declined their position on JET, that's that and even if the pred contacts them they will just say 'well, actually I'm not participating anymore'. That way, the rest of us who are still happily participating in the Programme can get some good unofficial news ;) Bring on the 'helpful hints' preds, please!:^_^:

Miss_igirisu
June 7th, 2011, 21:22
Because jet like to ve in control of every single part of your life!

Tyr
June 7th, 2011, 21:30
Would be nice and sensible to do that but...doing things the unofficial outside the box way just aint Japanese. Apparently.

Really surprising the reply forms would take so long though. Not much work at all to just sort them into yes and no piles. The hard bit I'd have thought would be figuring out which alts to replace the no people.

n107
June 7th, 2011, 22:20
I've managed to find the new guy who's coming into my office by his Facebook page.

...But I decided not to contact him since he doesn't seem to be making an effort to find where he's going. With stories of ungrateful and inconsiderate successors out there, I figure I'm not going to step up to the plate for someone who isn't concerned with making his presence known on any of the JET forums. If he can't be bothered, why should I?

Who knows, maybe one of you lurkers out there is him? So close to getting the info, yet so far away...

jetset
June 7th, 2011, 22:28
I've managed to find the new guy who's coming into my office by his Facebook page.

...But I decided not to contact him since he doesn't seem to be making an effort to find where he's going. With stories of ungrateful and inconsiderate successors out there, I figure I'm not going to step up to the plate for someone who isn't concerned with making his presence known on any of the JET forums. If he can't be bothered, why should I?

Who knows, maybe one of you lurkers out there is him? So close to getting the info, yet so far away...

Enjoy the power trip.

n107
June 7th, 2011, 22:50
Enjoy the power trip.

If that's what you call it, I suppose I will.

The guy is showing no enthusiasm at all (online, that is) about being on JET so I don't feel that it's my place to give him any early information. It's not like the JET gathering spots on the internet are hard to find. Nor is it hard to show some interest on one's own Facebook page. I talked it over with the other ALT in the office and he also felt it would be a little too presumptive to take the initiative until the BOE tells us to do otherwise.

For all I know, the guy isn't even that interested in the program. Maybe he'll just split if the placement isn't the one he requested (and it's not). Even if he doesn't make the effort to find the info on his own, he's going to get it eventually. The only difference is that he could have known for a couple weeks by now. In a few more days it's not going to matter.

JackAttack
June 7th, 2011, 23:06
The guy is showing no enthusiasm at all (online, that is) about being on JET so I don't feel that it's my place to give him any early information. It's not like the JET gathering spots on the internet are hard to find. Nor is it hard to show some interest on one's own Facebook page.

I'd call that wanting some privacy, but that's just me.

Think about it. How many JETs and applicants actually use the forums? The ones not going out actively looking for information are simply waiting. Maybe they're the smart ones for not spazzing out online.

If the delay is so bad, why not allow predecessors to notify people anyway? So what if they have the name of someone who rejected a place on the programme?

They could have the name of someone whose placement could change, that's why. Sometimes things get swapped (rare), but I think that's why people are asked to wait to contact anyone.

SnowRabbit
June 7th, 2011, 23:12

The guy is showing no enthusiasm at all (online, that is) about being on JET so I don't feel that it's my place to give him any early information. It's not like the JET gathering spots on the internet are hard to find. Nor is it hard to show some interest on one's own Facebook page. I talked it over with the other ALT in the office and he also felt it would be a little too presumptive to take the initiative until the BOE tells us to do otherwise.

For all I know, the guy isn't even that interested in the program. Maybe he'll just split if the placement isn't the one he requested (and it's not). Even if he doesn't make the effort to find the info on his own, he's going to get it eventually. The only difference is that he could have known for a couple weeks by now. In a few more days it's not going to matter.

Please go ahead and contact your successor if you are willing to, even if they have made no apparent effort to find you. It may be extremely helpful to them. Some people are less inclined to go fishing on the forums with their personal information, and I think most of us have just been sitting on our hands trying to be patient while waiting for some official notification from JET. If I knew who to contact to get my placement information I would do it in a heartbeat, but up until this point, I haven't made any attempt to look for my pred directly.

Now that it's looking like I might not be able to offer my current employer the one month official notice that they want (They know what I am doing, but have been generous enough to let me keep my job until I receive official acceptance into the program), I've reached the point where I'm done simply waiting for the program to get back to me.

Tyr
June 7th, 2011, 23:22

The guy is showing no enthusiasm at all (online, that is) about being on JET so I don't feel that it's my place to give him any early information. It's not like the JET gathering spots on the internet are hard to find. Nor is it hard to show some interest on one's own Facebook page. I talked it over with the other ALT in the office and he also felt it would be a little too presumptive to take the initiative until the BOE tells us to do otherwise. .

How do you know that?
He could be any one of us or the people on official. People who splash their real name about the place are very much in the minority.

For all I know, the guy isn't even that interested in the program. Maybe he'll just split if the placement isn't the one he requested (and it's not). Even if he doesn't make the effort to find the info on his own, he's going to get it eventually. The only difference is that he could have known for a couple weeks by now. In a few more days it's not going to matter.If that is the case you're just prolonging his 'Not Tokyo? Mwaaaa I want Akiba!!!' drop out. Better for the programme and the school that this comes sooner and a replacement is found.

Buckeye22314
June 7th, 2011, 23:29
The longer they wait to tell someone they're going somewhere they don't like the less inclined they will be to accept (unless they simply can't find any other job prospects). I would think it would be in JETs best interest to notify people now that they've been placed in Fukushima, or somewhere that was way off of what they requested. That way, the people who inevitably decline can be replaced sooner by an alternate who is willing to go. I understand that placing people has been difficult for them already, but I can't imagine waiting until to July to tell an ignorant person they're going to Fukushima anything would be a good idea. No matter how much information they gather on radiation for them the people could probably find it if they cared to look anyway.

But that's just my take on things.

P.S. I would be the most grateful successor ever if I was told anything about my prospective placement.

MCC
June 7th, 2011, 23:32

Couldn't it be that family and friends don't know yet so he's keeping quiet until placement note shows up? Some people are doing that. I don't believe anyone who has accepted their position is not excited about it.

jetset
June 7th, 2011, 23:42

I don't post much on Facebook about Japan, not yet. After all, I'm the only one going, not my friends. There's no need for me to be sharing every moment of the JET process, especially when I have no placement info. That doesn't mean that I'm not excited about going, however.

It doesn't make much sense for us to be posting our personal information on here, in the hope that our predecessor might be randomly scouring the forums for a post by their successor - you guys are the ones with a full name / profile in hand, we have nothing.

Miss_igirisu
June 7th, 2011, 23:47

I kind of wish I hadn't contacted my guy now either. He seems very interested in the money side of things (rent, key money etc) and hasn't asked a thing about work. I guess that's fine and all but I think it's a little rude not to thank a person for letting you know something.

ten_of_spades
June 8th, 2011, 00:01
LET IT GO, MISS I.

n107
June 8th, 2011, 00:03
I kind of wish I hadn't contacted my guy now either. He seems very interested in the money side of things (rent, key money etc) and hasn't asked a thing about work. I guess that's fine and all but I think it's a little rude not to thank a person for letting you know something.

That's the sort of thing I don't want to deal with.

The fact is the guy is not my successor. He doesn't have a pred. We're just going to work in the same BOE. I already left a shout out to him in one of the threads about finding preds but if he's around, he's not looking hard enough. I got a few PMs from people thinking it might be them, but it wasn't. So the guy doesn't need to go shouting his personal info, he just has to say some general things as a lot of new JETs have done. I've looked on all the forums, but haven't found him. I even tried looking for clues in other people posts hoping I might find him indirectly but none of those panned out.

Believe me, I'd like to help him but it seems I've already put in more time than he has in this situation. If he really wants the info, he can find it.

SnowRabbit
June 8th, 2011, 00:08
That's the sort of thing I don't want to deal with.

The fact is the guy is not my successor. He doesn't have a pred. We're just going to work in the same BOE. I already left a shout out to him in one of the threads about finding preds but if he's around, he's not looking hard enough. I got a few PMs from people thinking it might be them, but it wasn't. So the guy doesn't need to go shouting his personal info, he just has to say some general things as a lot of new JETs have done. I've looked on all the forums, but haven't found him. I even tried looking for clues in other people posts hoping I might find him indirectly but none of those panned out.

Believe me, I'd like to help him but it seems I've already put in more time that he has in this situation. If he really wants the info, he can find it.

I hope it's as easy for me to find my pred as you think it is. I've busted out the sig and am now going to be pretty conspicuous.

lilyanphino
June 8th, 2011, 00:12
While I'm active on the forums here looking for my placement, I haven't posted anything at all about JET on my facebook because I'm waiting until I get my placement. I don't want to get too overly excited in case something goes wrong. (Even though I've already told everyone I know in person.)

n107
June 8th, 2011, 00:14
I hope it's as easy for me to find my pred as you think it is. I've busted out the sig and am now going to be pretty conspicuous.

I never said it would be easy. Not for everyone, at least. If the guy I'm looking for did what you're doing, it would certainly be easy for him because I'm here and I have the info. Who knows if your pred is here? Who knows if he cares enough to contact you even if he does find you? Who knows if your position even has a pred?

But if you want to have a chance at finding the info, you're doing the right thing. I hope he/she does find you and tells you all you need to know.

jwkelley
June 8th, 2011, 00:17
Besides here what other boards are good lurking sites for possibly finding your pred?

ten_of_spades
June 8th, 2011, 00:19
You're all being irrational. JET has 5000+ participants, and only a fraction use (cough, know of) the messageboards. Out of the Toronto consulate, I knew of only 2 other people who used ITIL.

SnowRabbit
June 8th, 2011, 00:26
But if you want to have a chance at finding the info, you're doing the right thing. I hope he/she does find you and tells you all you need to know.

Thanks, I hope so too. Of course you don't have to contact them, but it would be really cool of you. You said you would like to help them, but that you've already spent enough time trying. And yet, here you are spending time talking about not contacting them. It would only take a moment to send them a facebook message, whether or not you feel they deserve it.

@Ten of Spades: You are right. I irrationally hoped that JET would contact me sooner, and now I'm irrationally hoping that my pred is on the forums.

Muffles
June 8th, 2011, 00:30
Maybes you should contact him n107, and see how grateful he is before you tell him all the useful stuff about his placement.

hew1281
June 8th, 2011, 01:04
Ok, I admit I have been lurking for a bit and not all that active in screaming at the top of my lungs that I'm SO EXCITED to be on the JET program...

But.

I AM.

Its unfair to assume that people aren't excited simply because it isn't all over facebook. I'm currently teaching in a school and didnt' want to let out to my colleagues that I was going to be leaving too early.

Thus, here I am finally. VERY excited to go on JET.

I didn't request anywhere specific, just general areas.

uthinkimlost?
June 8th, 2011, 01:47
I never said it would be easy. Not for everyone, at least. If the guy I'm looking for did what you're doing, it would certainly be easy for him because I'm here and I have the info. Who knows if your pred is here? Who knows if he cares enough to contact you even if he does find you? Who knows if your position even has a pred?

Well trolled, good sir.

My Facebook does not reflect my JET plans. Why? Well for one thing I don't use the damned thing, but for another it has coworkers friended and if I start mentioning it one of my employers will find out and probably cut my hours.

Syddi
June 8th, 2011, 01:48
Hey everyone
Well i just want to say i've registered on all the forums...been reading anything that says JET something & still no info on where I'm place or whether or not I have predecessor...I dn't want to seem to eager thats why I aven't posted any much so far, but i'm really excited to be doing JET. So here goes....If my predecessor is out there or anyone who has info on Jamaican JETS.

If you have any info on female Jamaican JET age 27 please pm me. I'm also on facebook and the official JET Forum.

Pleasssssssssssssse.

Tyr
June 8th, 2011, 01:57
Hey everyone
Well i just want to say i've registered on all the forums...been reading anything that says JET something & still no info on where I'm place or whether or not I have predecessor...I dn't want to seem to eager thats why I aven't posted any much so far, but i'm really excited to be doing JET. So here goes....If my predecessor is out there or anyone who has info on Jamaican JETS.

If you have any info on female Jamaican JET age 27 please pm me. I'm also on facebook and the official JET Forum.

Pleasssssssssssssse.

Tsushima

MCAS
June 8th, 2011, 02:11

Stop rationalizing the fact that you are either to lazy or just unwilling to contact your successor. Just because they aren't involved in the online community doesn't mean they aren't interested in finding out.

Syddi
June 8th, 2011, 02:36
Tsushima

Hey Tyr
Are you for real???? or you're kidding? I just didn't expect such a quick reply if you are though thanks alot. Also are you placed there? Are there any other Jamaicans placed there?

SnowRabbit
June 8th, 2011, 02:55
Tyr is a shortlist candidate, so I doubt that they know your placement. I've heard good things about Tsushima placements though. It would be pretty cool to be able to take a ferry over to Korea every once in a while.

Syddi
June 8th, 2011, 04:07
Tyr is a shortlist candidate, so I doubt that they know your placement. I've heard good things about Tsushima placements though. It would be pretty cool to be able to take a ferry over to Korea every once in a while.

Thanks SnowRabbit,
I guess I'll hear shortly....just keeping my fingers cross that its my ideal placement.

Muffles
June 8th, 2011, 04:15
What's your ideal placement?

Cytrix
June 8th, 2011, 04:39
I've loosened up the privacy settings on my facebook, but I still can't allow 90% of it to be seen largely because I'm a teacher and I do not want any students to find me and try to add me.

uthinkimlost?
June 8th, 2011, 04:43
I've loosened up the privacy settings on my facebook, but I still can't allow 90% of it to be seen largely because I'm a teacher and I do not want any students to find me and try to add me.

Just never confirm or deny them, leave 'em in limbo.

Tyr
June 8th, 2011, 04:44
Yeah, I was just joking, I've no idea where most people are going.

n107
June 8th, 2011, 07:29
And yet, here you are spending time talking about not contacting them. It would only take a moment to send them a facebook message, whether or not you feel they deserve it.

The reason I'm doing this here rather than hand everything to the guy on a silver platter and pat him on the back for lacking initiative is in case he is here maybe he'll be motivated to actually do something rather than sit back and wait. Not only that, but maybe it will motivate the other lurkers who are wanting the same thing yet don't feel they need to put one ounce of energy into the process.

I like helping people, when they deserve it. I spent too much time in the past being helpful to people who, in the end, did not want any help or who didn't appreciate the fact people were doing them a favor.

If the guy isn't going to put out any effort, I'm not going to assume he wants any favors done for him. Besides, it's not hurting him. He'll still find out the information through official channels. All he loses out on is a sneak peek.

Stop rationalizing the fact that you are either to lazy or just unwilling to contact your successor. Just because they aren't involved in the online community doesn't mean they aren't interested in finding out.

Although your words cut to the bone and wound me like no other, at least I can try to sleep easy knowing that as lazy and unwilling as I am, the new JET in my BOE is even lazier.

Also: He. Is. Not. My. Successor.

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 07:50
You're all being irrational. JET has 5000+ participants, and only a fraction use (cough, know of) the messageboards. Out of the Toronto consulate, I knew of only 2 other people who used ITIL.

Yeah, but if you, say, were anxious about your placement or excited about being on the programme and wanted to know more, all it takes is a google of "jet programme" and ITIL is the 7th hit. It's not that hard.

okinomiyaki
June 8th, 2011, 07:54
If the guy isn't going to put out any effort, I'm not going to assume he wants any favors done for him. Besides, it's not hurting him. He'll still find out the information through official channels. All he loses out on is a sneak peek.

I've done my internet sleuthing and I'm not a Canadian with a weird name so it's not me.

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 07:54
The nerve of the guy! Wanting to know things that are practical for him to know now. And then not even kissing your ass??? What a douche!

Saying thank you is not kissing ass. And like I said, it's cool that he wanted to know practical things. But I would have thought that someone coming in would want to know more than just money things.

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 08:33
Yeah I know you're right. A simple thank you would have been nice. I guess I'm just upset he's not super excited to come to my awesome placement. His blunt, practical questions in reply to my genki dipshit-ism gets me down. I know that I am harsh on people for stuff like this. But people should show thanks when someone does something for them.

But on the bright side, if he keeps it up then people will forever love me more and constantly wish I had never left ;-p

Dandy
June 8th, 2011, 09:45
Yeah I know you're right. A simple thank you would have been nice. I guess I'm just upset he's not super excited to come to my awesome placement. His blunt, practical questions in reply to my genki dipshit-ism gets me down. I know that I am harsh on people for stuff like this. But people should show thanks when someone does something for them.

But on the bright side, if he keeps it up then people will forever love me more and constantly wish I had never left ;-p

Im sorry, but have you ever considered the fact that maybe he DOESNT want your opinion on the school/the teachers/the students?

For me personally, I don't want to know what my predescessor thinks about my school. Sure - I will ask what type of school, how many schools, and other similar objective information. But I have no intention of going onto such an exciting program already wearing a certain shade of glasses.

I want to make up my own mind.

Lego
June 8th, 2011, 09:50
My successor is getting a you scratch my back I scratch yours deal. If he/she buys my car, I will leave all the things I bought behind (nice heater, dumbbell set, fan, etc.). If not, it's all going to recycle shops.

word
June 8th, 2011, 09:58
Just out of curiosity, are you going to tell him/her about this deal?

signeduptosassyou
June 8th, 2011, 10:01
The reason I'm doing this here rather than hand everything to the guy on a silver platter and pat him on the back for lacking initiative is in case he is here maybe he'll be motivated to actually do something rather than sit back and wait. Not only that, but maybe it will motivate the other lurkers who are wanting the same thing yet don't feel they need to put one ounce of energy into the process.

Although your words cut to the bone and wound me like no other, at least I can try to sleep easy knowing that as lazy and unwilling as I am, the new JET in my BOE is even lazier.

Also: He. Is. Not. My. Successor.

Dear n107,

I'm one of those lazy, useless lurkers who didn't bother coming on a forum and posting my identity (because I don't care at all about where I'm going, and have no work ethic, and have possible ties to Satan, obviously). Your sweet messages here have helped me to see the light, and I joined this forum. To tell you that you're going to feel like a huge dick when your new JET buddy comes into the area and he's cool as hell, and everyone likes him way more than you, because, let's face it, you ARE a dick.

xoxo!

Lego
June 8th, 2011, 10:06
Just out of curiosity, are you going to tell him/her about this deal?

Probably not.

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 10:43
Im sorry, but have you ever considered the fact that maybe he DOESNT want your opinion on the school/the teachers/the students?

For me personally, I don't want to know what my predescessor thinks about my school. Sure - I will ask what type of school, how many schools, and other similar objective information. But I have no intention of going onto such an exciting program already wearing a certain shade of glasses.

I want to make up my own mind.

Have you considered the fact that maybe it's not my opinions I wanted to give him, but I want to give him a heads up on what kind of school he is going to (it's different to the one he chose), the English levels, attitudes of the kids, the fact that he will be the only non Asian in the town... You know, stuff that will probably effect his daily life.

Dandy
June 8th, 2011, 10:46
Dear n107,

I'm one of those lazy, useless lurkers who didn't bother coming on a forum and posting my identity (because I don't care at all about where I'm going, and have no work ethic, and have possible ties to Satan, obviously). Your sweet messages here have helped me to see the light, and I joined this forum. To tell you that you're going to feel like a huge dick when your new JET buddy comes into the area and he's cool as hell, and everyone likes him way more than you, because, let's face it, you ARE a dick.

xoxo!

+1

I feel sorry for this guys successor. I like how he pretends to know the motivation of someone he knows hardly a thing about.

Just because some people choose not to disclose their a/s/l *where anyone can see it* doesn't mean they don't care. It just means they are smart. And who is to say they already havent posted this info somewhere that you've missed.

YOU are the one with the information. How do you expect this person to know this?

Grow up.

Dandy
June 8th, 2011, 10:50
Have you considered the fact that maybe it's not my opinions I wanted to give him, but I want to give him a heads up on what kind of school he is going to (it's different to the one he chose), the English levels, attitudes of the kids, the fact that he will be the only non Asian in the town... You know, stuff that will probably effect his daily life.

Ahh, fair enough. That is stuff I would be eager to know from my predecessor.

It just sounded like you were ready/willing to unload your opinion on him, which I hope no successors actually do.

But I do agree with you, a thank you is needed. And the basic: schools? apartment? life in general? ish questions I think are a must.

uthinkimlost?
June 8th, 2011, 10:55
Everybody just chillax. We're not gonna know where we're going for a while, and getting pissy with eachother won't help.

Accept that we won't know for a while and sympathize with your pred who will probably have less than month to get rid of the shit you don't want to buy from them.

Froren
June 8th, 2011, 10:56
n107, stop being an asshat

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 11:01
Ahh, fair enough. That is stuff I would be eager to know from my predecessor.

It just sounded like you were ready/willing to unload your opinion on him, which I hope no successors actually do.

But I do agree with you, a thank you is needed. And the basic: schools? apartment? life in general? ish questions I think are a must.

Thank you. Don't worry I do come off badly in writing.

I think you're all being a bit harsh on no1 or whatever his name is. They should contact them first and then judge them like crazy :-p

dirtbag
June 8th, 2011, 11:05

i know the tsushima ALTs and they all like it out there. it's very pretty and they have yamaneko. do you know yamaneko? it's very only few.

lilyanphino
June 8th, 2011, 11:06
Everybody just chillax. We're not gonna know where we're going for a while, and getting pissy with eachother won't help.

Accept that we won't know for a while and sympathize with your pred who will probably have less than month to get rid of the shit you don't want to buy from them.

Seriously guys, just relax. We will all find out sooner or later. After all this delay is hard on everyone.

n107
June 8th, 2011, 11:12
Dear n107,

xoxo!

That's precious. You mean I'll lose all the popularity contests? Maybe not even make student council? Oh lawdy, the rest of high school is going to be a nightmare!

What are you, sixteen or something?

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 11:18
Cats?! I'm there!!

ten_of_spades
June 8th, 2011, 11:37
Yeah, but if you, say, were anxious about your placement or excited about being on the programme and wanted to know more, all it takes is a google of "jet programme" and ITIL is the 7th hit. It's not that hard.

Pfft, no one even looks at search results beyond #5.

japaniki
June 8th, 2011, 11:56

The guy is showing no enthusiasm at all (online, that is) about being on JET so I don't feel that it's my place to give him any early information.

Everything about this bugs the hell out of me. Who are you to determine how excited someone is? I've been following these forums for weeks, but didn't really want to get involved too much because I didn't want to appear over excited, the likelihood of finding my pred on here was slim and also because frankly I didn't want to get into the politics of it all. But this pisses me off, and I felt compelled to chip in. This is such an ignorant and self-indulgent way of thinking.

I haven't posted my details on here because I want to hold on to the little privacy I have left in this day and age. I'm happy for my Pred to contact me on Facebook, and I will be very grateful for ANY contact at this stage. I've stopped posting on my wall because I didn't want to annoy my friends and also I was/am tired of being asked if I've heard anything yet. You do what you want, but karma is a b***h.

hydroflames
June 8th, 2011, 12:04
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/Fluffy.jpg

SnowRabbit
June 8th, 2011, 12:11
i know the tsushima ALTs and they all like it out there. it's very pretty and they have yamaneko. do you know yamaneko? it's very only few.

Yep, That's what I hear. : ) One of the Tsushima ALTs is a good friend of mine, so if I end up anywhere close I'll definitely check out the island and yamaneko center for to make yamaneko memory.

@n107: It's up to your discretion I suppose, and we just have a difference of opinion about how to handle it. If I were in your position I'd want to do my future coworker a favor and get off to a good start, especially considering that they would soon be a part of my daily life. Oh well, I think we've debated it sufficiently.

I really hope I receive some sort of notification soon. I'm supposed to officially forfeit my rights to my current job by the 12th, and every day that I wait makes it harder for my boss to find a timely and appropriate replacement. :(

Cytrix
June 8th, 2011, 12:30
Look everyone. Calm down before I get my pimp hand out on y'all. I normally keep it reserved just for quark, but I am about to make an exception!

n107
June 8th, 2011, 12:32
I've done my internet sleuthing and I'm not a Canadian with a weird name so it's not me.

Good man (or woman)! I'm sorry it wasn't you. Unlike some of your peers you at least demonstrate reading comprehension.

I hope you find your info soon. Good luck.

Page
June 8th, 2011, 13:18
-

Cytrix
June 8th, 2011, 14:07
Apparently this has come from the Melbourne consulate regarding placements...

I have received notification from Tokyo today that placement details are expected sometime next week
From here (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5607&start=15#p75183).

Meanwhile us Kiwi's have heard nada from our consulates since results were released. Lame

Miss_igirisu
June 8th, 2011, 14:14
Never said it was selfish, just sad he asked nothing about the school and stuff. I'm pretty sure I asked about money too. I also thanked my pred.

judyrudy
June 8th, 2011, 14:25
Apparently this has come from the Melbourne consulate regarding placements...

From here (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5607&start=15#p75183).

Meanwhile us Kiwi's have heard nada from our consulates since results were released. Lame

Of course they would be released the week I'll be out of town and won't have internet access.

FamilyMart
June 8th, 2011, 14:40
so.. any of y'all looking forward to going to fukushima?

usernamefail
June 8th, 2011, 14:43
I wouldn't mind a Fukushima placement!

My grandparents even "helpfully", and totally not passive aggressively, offered to buy me a radiation level reader to wear around. I'm all set!

judyrudy
June 8th, 2011, 14:47
If I get placed in Fukushima, I may have to lie to my mother about where I'm living. Unless I feel like being chained in a closet until after the plane leaves. I'm personally all for having x-men babies later in life.

Strange_quark
June 8th, 2011, 17:25
Oh *$@!, Cytrix's pimp hand... RUN AWAY!

I hope that when (if?!) I hear from my predecessor my first response isn't, "Omfg, what the hell took you so long?!"

But I'll be grateful. Up to the point they're an asshat to me. Fingers crossed for one of the awesome preds!

kawaiijutsu
June 8th, 2011, 17:31
Of course they would be released the week I'll be out of town and won't have internet access.

That sucks...if I had a way of getting it to you, I'd help ><

kawaiijutsu
June 8th, 2011, 17:33

It was one of my choices...I'd look at the radiation levels for my town and decide from there. Telling my parents that lovely bit of news might cause me to go deaf from their yelling (they spent most of the weekend of the earthquakes with Fox News on telling me how all my info was wrong...), but I think they'd kinda have to get over it.

n107
June 8th, 2011, 17:39
@n107: It's up to your discretion I suppose, and we just have a difference of opinion about how to handle it. If I were in your position I'd want to do my future coworker a favor and get off to a good start, especially considering that they would soon be a part of my daily life. Oh well, I think we've debated it sufficiently.

I definitely do want to do him a favor which is why I've spent so much time over the past couple of weeks trying to weed him out of the different forums. Hell, this was a last ditch effort to flush him out of the woodwork. Sadly, if he's around, he's keeping quiet.

I have not been given permission by the BOE to contact him so I don't want to risk doing so out of the blue. He's not going to any of the places he requested so for all I know he could drop out as soon as he hears. And if it comes from me there's a good chance that it will travel back through the grapevine that I spilled the beans. Then I'm on my BOE's bad side all for trying to be Helpy Helperton. If I were leaving, I'd have no problem but since I still intend to be employed by these people, I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me. Not worth it. If he would just show some sign that he's out there and he's eager to find out about his job then that would show me it's at least worth taking a chance.

In the end, he's still going to get the info. It's not going to die with me. If the BOE finally says I can get in touch, he'll have a message waiting for him immediately after. If they say I can't, he'll still get it from them directly.

I'd like to help the guy but until it looks like I won't be shooting myself in the foot by doing it, I'm not going to try.

Alphabet
June 8th, 2011, 18:14
Man you guys are all hopped up.

I will give my successor as much or as little info as he/she wants. Not writing it up until then.

Muffles
June 8th, 2011, 18:30
Alphabet, do you know who your successor is yet?

Tyr
June 8th, 2011, 19:08
I had a bit of a jet dream this morning.
I dreamed I recieved a mysterious poorly laid out email which said IIRC: 'How would you feel about a verrrrrrry boring placement?'
Cue: Me worrying about how to properly phrase my reply to weasel out of that but not make them kick me off the programme for being unflexiable.

Cytrix
June 8th, 2011, 19:17
I had a dream a few days ago that I dreamed I received an email telling me I was going to Hokkaido. And then I woke up from that dream within the dream and received an email saying 'LOL YOU'RE GOING TO RUSSIA' then I woke up.

Damn Inception dreams

uthinkimlost?
June 8th, 2011, 19:18
JET dreams are perfectly normal for boys and girls your age. Just change your undies and sheets and you'll be fine.

Cytrix
June 8th, 2011, 19:25
Yay!

Alphabet
June 8th, 2011, 21:02
Alphabet, do you know who your successor is yet?

Not yet. Was told we won't know until next week at the SHS level. So, if you're still hanging on there is a chance THE BEST PLACEMENT EVER** is waiting for you.

**subject to opinion, but it's a dope ass gig.

atheistwithfaith
June 8th, 2011, 23:52
My successor is getting a you scratch my back I scratch yours deal. If he/she buys my car, I will leave all the things I bought behind (nice heater, dumbbell set, fan, etc.). If not, it's all going to recycle shops.

What if they don't drive?

hew1281
June 9th, 2011, 00:10
Well, I for one, appreciate that any preds are making any effort at all. Even if mine hasn't contacted me yet.

I only requested regions, not specific cities, so I don't much care where I go, really. Even if it isn't the region I requested, I am open to any and all placements. Why not?

MCAS
June 9th, 2011, 04:37

I'll take it over Hokkaido or Okinawa.

jwkelley
June 9th, 2011, 04:53
I'll take it over Hokkaido or Okinawa.

If you combine the 2 you can hang with drunk Marines on skies.

MCAS
June 9th, 2011, 06:19
If you combine the 2 you can hang with drunk Marines on skies.

Gah, screw Marines. I got enough of them after four years of Military College. Probably half the reason why I don't want to go to Okinawa. (Though mainly it's because I don't want to have to fly to get to the mainland.) I am a big fan of the skiing part of the equation though. If any of you ski, we need to take a ITIL Ski-Orama next winter.

Punchy
June 9th, 2011, 07:19
**subject to opinion, but it's a dope ass gig.

+ 1 Alphabet's apartment is pretty badass.

uthinkimlost?
June 9th, 2011, 07:21
+ 1 Alphabet's apartment is pretty badass.

Is that because Alphabet lives there?

ten_of_spades
June 9th, 2011, 10:20
Is that because Alphabet lives there?

It's because her boobs live there.

Lego
June 9th, 2011, 10:29
What if they don't drive?

Then I get some yen for the stuff I paid for. I don't owe anybody anything.

Froren
June 9th, 2011, 10:34
So much Hokkaido hate lately.

GOKU SSJ4
June 9th, 2011, 10:42
after 3 days of swimming in their own sweat at Tokyo orientation people will stop hating on hokkaido and start hating the lucky people who got placed there.
Posted via Mobile Device

ichigokuma
June 9th, 2011, 15:27
I agree, I would rather get placed in Hokkaido than Kyushu, that's for sure! :p

HeartNana
June 9th, 2011, 15:28
after 3 days of swimming in their own sweat at Tokyo orientation people will stop hating on hokkaido and start hating the lucky people who got placed there.
Posted via Mobile Device
until it starts to get cold.

AVN
June 9th, 2011, 15:59
until it starts to get cold.

Except it doesn't get all that cold, our homes are better built (slightly insulated) and the snow is beautiful.

I remember feeling colder in the hotel in Kyuushu than my house up here.

HeartNana
June 9th, 2011, 16:15
Hmm, i guess my intense hatred for snow makes me biased.

Punchy
June 9th, 2011, 16:40

Have fun in Shikoku!

Kyushu > all

Tyr
June 9th, 2011, 21:15
The weather in Hokkaido seems fine.
Its more the remoteness and newness which puts me off.

atheistwithfaith
June 9th, 2011, 22:17
Then I get some yen for the stuff I paid for. I don't owe anybody anything.

That's fair enough, I thought you were saying 'Well if they don't want a car then they don't get to have ANYTHING'.

Tyr
June 13th, 2011, 19:21
Another day, another lack of notification. :(

I keep hearing the 15th for some reason. Anyone?

usernamefail
June 13th, 2011, 19:24
I bet once it hits the 15th they'll tell everyone to wait another week.

Tyr
June 13th, 2011, 19:30
The way things have been it wouldn't massively surprise me.

I have been hearing mid June for a while though. And over on official I read a co-ordinator saying stuff had arrived...somewhere or other.

MCAS
June 13th, 2011, 19:33
The way things have been it wouldn't massively surprise me.

I have been hearing mid June for a while though. And over on official I read a co-ordinator saying stuff had arrived...somewhere or other.

Links or it didn't happen.

Alphabet
June 13th, 2011, 20:39

Haha, FUCK YOU.

KYUSHU RULES

Cytrix
June 13th, 2011, 21:12
Hey...hey guys don't worry. I just had a prophetic dream about placement emails arriving tomorrow. Just so you all know, according to my dream I'll be placed in Cuba.

Come on brain...

Strange_quark
June 13th, 2011, 21:23
Awesome!

http://havanajournal.com/images/uploads/big_cuban_cigar.jpg

lilyanphino
June 14th, 2011, 00:43
I don't believe any speculation on placements. None of the previous speculations ever turned out to be true.

Tintin
June 14th, 2011, 12:28
We still haven't heard anything in our office, so guys dont' worry if you don't hear anything. Especially if you're prefectural, it may take a while to get your specific placement. Everything is so ESID anyway that you need to just be prepared to deal with it at last minute, and prepare as much as you can for general stuff in the meantime.

koolaid
June 14th, 2011, 12:50
Got word this morning that successor info won't be going out for another couple of weeks. Only about 1/3 of the acceptances have been received, and CLAIR has told all prefectures to hold off on notifying incumbent JETs about their successor's information until further notice.

My guess? You'll find out placement info in early July. Maybe.

Miss_igirisu
June 14th, 2011, 12:51
That really really sucks

uthinkimlost?
June 14th, 2011, 13:38
Got word this morning that successor info won't be going out for another couple of weeks. Only about 1/3 of the acceptances have been received, and CLAIR has told all prefectures to hold off on notifying incumbent JETs about their successor's information until further notice.

That doesn't jive too well with the visa timeline. Especially for group A-ers.

lilyanphino
June 14th, 2011, 14:00
How have only 1/3 of the acceptances been recieved? As far as I know, there are only 3 people at my consulate who haven't sent in their reply forms and they are all brand new upgrades. Plus, those forms were due at the beginning of May and sent to Tokyo not long after.

Scissors
June 14th, 2011, 14:13
How have only 1/3 of the acceptances been recieved? As far as I know, there are only 3 people at my consulate who haven't sent in their reply forms and they are all brand new upgrades. Plus, those forms were due at the beginning of May and sent to Tokyo not long after.

That's what I don't get either if this is true... There's no way the coordinators would have slacked off that hard and not have even sent the reply forms to Tokyo as soon as they could have. Tokyo not processing them all yet is one thing... Although someone on official mentioned that in Akita they didn't have the reply forms yet either, which I had assumed to be the placement reply forms, but I guess it was the original reply forms. :\

I mentioned this in the new poll thread, but someone from the Chicago consulate did get their contract and info in the mail on Friday. Not sure if they were supposed to, but they did.

shoegazer
June 14th, 2011, 14:18

Uh...

I don't know if they have told you guys this, but apparently they have to wait for the ministry of foreign affairs to draft some sort of letter explaining that Japan is safe and not to worry about radiation. then they will release the info.

UH...

Which is it?? .....Both?!

Miss_igirisu
June 14th, 2011, 14:26
Sounds like there's been a huge cock up somewhere. They should at least send some explanation out.

Alphabet
June 14th, 2011, 14:45
Yikes, what a mess. Hang in there guys!

Lego
June 14th, 2011, 15:15
keekers! koolaid! As the official spokespeople for CLAIR, MEXT, the JET Programme, and the Japanese government, you must tell us the latest news as it breaks!

Cytrix
June 14th, 2011, 15:18
Yeah I'm going to wait for official word from now on before I start believing everything people say.

JackAttack
June 14th, 2011, 15:43
Although someone on official mentioned that in Akita they didn't have the reply forms yet either, which I had assumed to be the placement reply forms, but I guess it was the original reply forms. :\

Are there even placement reply forms? I just remember reading my placement email and being like, "Yay Hyogo! ... Yay Hyogo again!" and that was that. I don't remember any kind of "reply" form after that, unless I count my contract.

Miss_igirisu
June 14th, 2011, 15:46
There are reply forms that you have to sign but you get them with your placement info... Or so i thought

usernamefail
June 14th, 2011, 16:32
The consulate I switched to for departure emailed us our flight itinerary and a questionnaire that asked for a JET number among other things... a few minutes later they emailed again saying that our number would come with placement info but we still needed to send the questionnaire off ASAP anyways.

Rather far behind schedule it seems!

Scissors
June 14th, 2011, 17:13
Are there even placement reply forms? I just remember reading my placement email and being like, "Yay Hyogo! ... Yay Hyogo again!" and that was that. I don't remember any kind of "reply" form after that, unless I count my contract.

I don't know. lol I imagined there would be (and from reading old threads) but I guess not. Now I assume they mean the original ones. The reason I thought there WAS a placement reply was because of the Akita thread... it seemed weird to refer to our ones due in May, but I guess they were. So no, guess not.

The consulate I switched to for departure emailed us our flight itinerary and a questionnaire that asked for a JET number among other things... a few minutes later they emailed again saying that our number would come with placement info but we still needed to send the questionnaire off ASAP anyways.

Rather far behind schedule it seems!

At Chicago Q&A, a travel agent came and told us to fill out a form by the 20th... that none of us had seen. It was the flight info we have to register for and they needed it by the 20th, which we can't fill out until we get our placement, so yes. Very behind schedule. lol

kawaiijutsu
June 14th, 2011, 18:19
It sounds like more predecessors are starting to get the okay to contact their successors...perhaps this is a sign that things are starting to get more cemented and ready to send out official placements? I'm hoping so, anyway.

Hikari
June 14th, 2011, 18:24
i haven't heard a dinky winky

charmed_23
June 14th, 2011, 19:44
Apparently there is some debating going on because the Japanese ministry are saying that it's ok to have JETs head to those places that are just outside the Fukushima exclusion zone. As we all know, back in March Japan made the exclusion zone 20km, while the rest of the world made it much wider. So the foreign governments are saying JETs shouldn't be placed that close. It may have already been mentioned, but this involves lost of paperwork and hanko-ing to stop the world freaking out. I think that's what all the delay is about.

Cytrix
June 14th, 2011, 19:50
I think I am officially over it all right now..

Officially...

Strange_quark
June 14th, 2011, 19:55
I think I am officially over it all right now..

Officially...

Lies.

Cytrix
June 14th, 2011, 20:11
http://randomoverload.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/cb23055a2dsirius.jpg.jpg

Jordan
June 14th, 2011, 20:35
Well, I know interac folk who were told until they arrived where they were going. So in the grand scheme of things, you're lucky to get any warning really.

TakoBakko
June 14th, 2011, 21:28

I hope you're a troll!

My consulate got confirmation from Tokyo that info should be coming through this week. So unless CLAIR have hit an unexpected ditch or they lied to the Japanese guy running the consulate, I don't see why I should believe you. But I'm not supposed to divulge said information. Oops. Nah, not really, the email just came with the disclaimer that this information was correct for my consulate.

Sheepy
June 14th, 2011, 23:50
Just emailed mine as the wait this year is stupidly long

Gritty Diddy
June 15th, 2011, 00:03
I can corroborate that there is no response form or whatever for placements. I was going to be out of contact in early June, and I was concerned that I would miss some response deadline for placements were they to be released, so I e-mailed my consulate about it. They said that beyond signing the contract, we are already considered to have officially accepted our positions, wherever they are. Because of this, I'm assuming they're already working on visas, and wouldn't need to delay departure for Group A people, even if we find out placements days before leaving.

Anyhow, given that ALTs in every prefecture seem to have different information, there seems to be absolutely no level of coordination, so I'm not expecting official word for several weeks. At this point, the whole situation is just funny. I can't wait to see everyone who is freaking out right now complain about how fucking bored they are in two months.

Sheepy
June 15th, 2011, 00:08
At least you're not on Interac. A new English girl near me was told she was off to Shiga and when she got here they shipped her off to middle of nowhere Shikoku.

Tyr
June 15th, 2011, 00:58
Woah, that sucks. Madness.

am positive that there is no response form or whatever for placements. I was going to be out of contact in early June, and I was concerned that I would miss some response deadline for placements were they to be released, so I e-mailed my consulate about it. They said that beyond signing the contract, we are already considered to have officially accepted our positions, wherever they are. Because of this, I'm assuming they're already working on visas, and wouldn't need to delay departure for Group A people, even if we find out placements days before leaving.I've seen no contract.

Just emailed mine as the wait this year is stupidly long
Cool.
Get your friends to do the same!

uthinkimlost?
June 15th, 2011, 01:11
I am positive that there is no response form or whatever for placements. I was going to be out of contact in early June, and I was concerned that I would miss some response deadline for placements were they to be released, so I e-mailed my consulate about it. They said that beyond signing the contract, we are already considered to have officially accepted our positions, wherever they are. Because of this, I'm assuming they're already working on visas, and wouldn't need to delay departure for Group A people, even if we find out placements days before leaving.

Anyhow, given that ALTs in every prefecture seem to have different information, there seems to be absolutely no level of coordination, so I'm not expecting official word for several weeks. At this point, the whole situation is just funny. I can't wait to see everyone who is freaking out right now complain about how fucking bored they are in two months.

The visa application requires specific information about your employer.

And apparently takes a while to complete.

So if you don't know anything, nothing gets processed.

Gritty Diddy
June 15th, 2011, 01:22
I've seen no contract.

To clarify, we only back out of a placement. There is no "response" to it, unless you decide you don't want to participate in JET. Your response, in that case, would be no different than were you to back out today.

So if you don't know anything, nothing gets processed. I didn't even think of that. Silly me! I suggested in another thread that they may delay departure, but some people apparently have already heard confirmation of flight reservations or something. I have no idea what's going to happen. In any case, given all the confusion out there, I have little confidence we'll be hearing anytime soon, but here's to hoping.

Buckeye22314
June 15th, 2011, 05:06

So if you don't know anything, nothing gets processed.

Maybe Detroit does things differently, but we have already received our visa applications and most people will be handing them in this Saturday, without knowing our placements. You simply fill out the form with the information for CLAIR as your employer. There is only one line of the form that we couldn't complete that I imagine might have something placement specific in it. I don't think they would be delaying TO or departure even with this ridiculous delay in placement notifications.

I just wish more BOEs and preds would throw the gag order out the window and tell people if they know who is coming. Worst thing that would happen is a person who already turned down their short-list position would (hopefully) tell the BOE that they weren't coming.

Or that Tokyo would send out a mass email saying "we are at (insert stage) of the placement process, and we expect it will take at least (insert time) to finalize things. Thanks for waiting"

uthinkimlost?
June 15th, 2011, 05:23
Maybe Detroit does things differently, but we have already received our visa applications and most people will be handing them in this Saturday, without knowing our placements. You simply fill out the form with the information for CLAIR as your employer. There is only one line of the form that we couldn't complete that I imagine might have something placement specific in it. I don't think they would be delaying TO or departure even with this ridiculous delay in placement notifications.

I just wish more BOEs and preds would throw the gag order out the window and tell people if they know who is coming. Worst thing that would happen is a person who already turned down their short-list position would (hopefully) tell the BOE that they weren't coming.

Or that Tokyo would send out a mass email saying "we are at (insert stage) of the placement process, and we expect it will take at least (insert time) to finalize things. Thanks for waiting"

That is definitely different than our instructions, especially since CLAIR isn't our employer. I would imagine that might cause issues down the line.

lilyanphino
June 15th, 2011, 05:34
The Visa applications were due at the beginning of the month for the consulate I'm with. We were also told to leave some sections blank.

greengoo
June 15th, 2011, 05:35
CLAIR sponsors your visa.

uthinkimlost?
June 15th, 2011, 05:39
We've been told pretty explicitly that we cannot turn anything in until we have placements with names and addresses to complete the app on our own. Things may be different at other consulates, but I would assume the information needed would be the same.