PDA

View Full Version : Applying for JET: The temporary forum [*Applying Forum rules apply in this thread*]

Beer Baron
June 16th, 2011, 03:27
Newbies:

You may seek refuge in this thread from the chaos elsewhere in the temporary forum.

Mods: You may implement the normal applying forum rules in this thread.

word
June 16th, 2011, 08:20
Bazinga.

Edit: This thread will be kept VERY clean, Az-style. Outdated information and nonsense will be deleted as soon as it is noticed.

Noobs: If you post your placement info on a public forum, you are compromising your anonymity. If you're okay with this, whatever, but please keep it in mind.

cad01
June 16th, 2011, 08:27
Got my placement email from the consulate a couple hours ago, Ishikawa-ken. Looks like a nice area, can't wait to hear from my pred now.

kawaiijutsu
June 16th, 2011, 14:15
I was wondering if I could ask for some help from you guys. I've posted here because I could actually use some serious help. I was placed in Fukushima-ken, and my parents are only looking at doomsday scenarios like the fact that I won't be able to have children in 10 years and will die of cancer. I've seen articles and things online before talking about how there should be no adverse health effects for adults staying for a few years, but for the life of me I can't find them. Does anyone have any links to anything that would state information about expected health effects of being in Fukushima or in Japan in general? I would really appreciate it.

Hikari
June 16th, 2011, 14:31
UK govt science advisor

The latest advice on Japan from the Government’s Chief Scientific Adviser (http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=581967082)

also tell your parents to stay the fuck out of your business, you're an adult, it's your choice, your life

kawaiijutsu
June 16th, 2011, 14:38
Thanks Hikari...that helps :)
And yes...they've already stated they know they're not changing my mind...but I do want to put them at ease to make my life easier for the next month while I'm still here, and to help them not have heart attacks.

jd111
June 17th, 2011, 18:35
Can you not just tell JET to place you somewhere else??
I wouldnt for the life of me want to go anywhere near Fukushima at the moment. Regardless of what anyone says about radiation levels being good or bad, F*ck that.

dirtbag
June 17th, 2011, 18:51
no

jd111
June 17th, 2011, 18:54
Thats ridiculous then, they should be using a bit more cop-on and not send people to Fukushima unless they give the option to decline first. Best of luck there anyway, Im sure it will be pretty safe, and i hope your parents are not too concerned

kawaiijutsu
June 18th, 2011, 02:19
Thats ridiculous then, they should be using a bit more cop-on and not send people to Fukushima unless they give the option to decline first. Best of luck there anyway, Im sure it will be pretty safe, and i hope your parents are not too concerned

It was my third choice, and one I'm still very happy with. I've done plenty of research and the radiation isn't a danger. I can see where they might have asked the people who requested Fukushima if they still wanted (mostly, it saves them the effort of having to deal with everyone declining the placement and finding new people), but that would give the appearance that they think something's wrong with going there, which is the opposite of their goal right now.
We have the option to decline placement in Fukushima, and be allowed to apply again next year without any penalties (normally, you would have to wait a year if you decline a position once you learn of placement). However, we cannot change our position this year. I'm looking forward to helping out though, and maybe coming back with superpowers.

jd111
June 18th, 2011, 02:28
It was my third choice, and one I'm still very happy with. I've done plenty of research and the radiation isn't a danger. I can see where they might have asked the people who requested Fukushima if they still wanted (mostly, it saves them the effort of having to deal with everyone declining the placement and finding new people), but that would give the appearance that they think something's wrong with going there, which is the opposite of their goal right now.
We have the option to decline placement in Fukushima, and be allowed to apply again next year without any penalties (normally, you would have to wait a year if you decline a position once you learn of placement). However, we cannot change our position this year. I'm looking forward to helping out though, and maybe coming back with superpowers.

Thats fair enough! Best of luck!

Nak
June 18th, 2011, 04:23
Yuh it's probably totally not a coincidence I'm going there and it was in my top 3 prefs as well..2nd or 3rd, I can't remember now.

uthinkimlost?
June 18th, 2011, 07:44
I know there's plenty of alternates who deserve it, hence why I said "not to knock them before I meet them"...as I know for a fact they could be perfectly awesome. But I can also fear that if we get people from the very bottom of the alternates list, that they were put at the very bottom for a reason.

Keep in mind that shortlisted at one consulate is another consulate's alternate or reject. Most people in Hawaii that apply are versed in Japanese culture and speak the language to some degree. They also typically have massive international travel experience and/or degrees that actually relate to Japan. Would you have been shortlisted here, or have been the bottom of the barrel?

kawaiijutsu
June 18th, 2011, 09:26
Alternates don't get upgraded according to a grading system, which is why they don't mention your position (the Miami coord. wrote an indepth post on official over this).

Ah, never saw that post on it then. Or must've missed that. Since I knew people had a set position on the list, I assumed there was an order, or a logic to how they were put on that list. It seemed like the logical thing to do.
I'll go ahead and openly apologize for it...as what I meant is I just fear getting people who don't understand the situation or the area, and are just going just to go to Japan and have no interest in the region, etc. Again, the statement was made assuming that there was a rationale behind people's placement on the alternate list. Also, I understand that there's a likelihood of a shortlister being that way too.
Either way...it'll be interesting to see who all is there come July.

melty
June 21st, 2011, 19:48
Heya Kawaiijutsu how is this link? Fukushima Nuclear Accident Information Sheet (http://www.iaea.org/About/japan-infosheet.html)

Good luck :)

Nak
June 21st, 2011, 20:18
Passing that on to my family, cheers Melty :^_^:

mothy
June 21st, 2011, 21:40
Better black out the parts about the seafood and the vegetables.

Nak
June 22nd, 2011, 01:43
Hell no, might encourage them to send me more stuff from home.

melty
June 22nd, 2011, 19:39
Hell no, might encourage them to send me more stuff from home.

Nak, will you be able to bring your parents to the Q&A day run by JETAA? We're planning to have a session to calm down parents that are worried about the effects of Fukushima. It should be on the 9th of July...

jd111
June 22nd, 2011, 19:44
If you look at this. http://www.pref.miyagi.jp/kokusai/en/accidents_fukushima_nuclear.htm

there is a town called Marumori, the levels there are higher than any place in Miyagi. Interac wanted to send me there, but as its 60 km from the reactor i said no. I did sign an agreement with them saying i wouldnt be placed within 80km.

Nak
June 22nd, 2011, 21:23
Cheers Melty but it's cool, my parents are pretty alright with it all. I've been completely honest with them about everything, they're pretty reasonable people. Even my nan didn't give me any grief, some could say it's...suspicious..:| They're still more than happy to read any information dredged up from the internetz though.

Hmm Marumori huh? I'm about 50-odd km from the plant where I'll be going and the levels in my town are higher than yours. To be honest I probably wouldn't have accepted if it was with Interac though, there are some very good things about JETs support system.

Also just to put things into perspective for you...0.20µSv/h in Marumori?

1000µSv =1msv

One head CT scan = 2msv
One chest CT scan = 7msv
Maximum yearly permitted dose for US Radiation workers = 50msv

Yearly dose in Marumori (assuming that level remains exactly the same as it is now and doesn't decrease over time - which it will) = less than 1.8msv.

So for less than one head CT scan you could go.

Just sayin'.

jd111
June 22nd, 2011, 21:25
wow, thanks alot for the info, really appreciate it.
the main reason i said no though is because i signed a contract with them that said not closer than 80km. If i let them away with that? what next?

Nak
June 22nd, 2011, 21:28
True that. Private companys are all manner of dodge but Interac are supposed to be the lesser evil. Don't blame you for declining though.

jd111
June 22nd, 2011, 21:53
To be honest, if I was asked to go there with JET (I applied for jet last novemeber) having gone through that application process, I probably wouldnt say no.

Interac give you the option to decline your placement (im not going to be too picky) so I might aswell.

lathe
July 6th, 2011, 14:21
First time poster here and I've only been lurking for a month-ish. Consider me a super noob, and if this thread is the wrong place for my question, I am sorry in advance.

I just graduated and will be applying to JET for 2012. I'm worried about my reference letters. I know (I think?) that the references are supposed to show that you're flexible, motivated, culturally-sensitive and so forth, and I highly doubt any of my English professors could say much to that effect, even though I have good relationships with them ("She writes good papers" probably won't help me much).

Long story short, I did a program through my university that allowed me to sit in on local junior high and high school classes. I basically worked "under" the supervision of the actual teachers, and the students I worked with at the junior high were fresh out of ESL from the previous year (they were all Spanish speakers). Would the two teachers be good candidates for references versus, say, a future boss (should I land a job and impress my superiors before the application is due)?

Any responses are appreciated!

Buckeye22314
July 6th, 2011, 23:33
Those teachers sound like they would be good references. You might want to use one of them and then a teacher from your university, if you had one in particular that actually knows you. If you had a job during school your boss might be a good one too, if you had a good relationship with them.

MCAS
July 11th, 2011, 07:02
First time poster here and I've only been lurking for a month-ish. Consider me a super noob, and if this thread is the wrong place for my question, I am sorry in advance.

I just graduated and will be applying to JET for 2012. I'm worried about my reference letters. I know (I think?) that the references are supposed to show that you're flexible, motivated, culturally-sensitive and so forth, and I highly doubt any of my English professors could say much to that effect, even though I have good relationships with them ("She writes good papers" probably won't help me much).

Long story short, I did a program through my university that allowed me to sit in on local junior high and high school classes. I basically worked "under" the supervision of the actual teachers, and the students I worked with at the junior high were fresh out of ESL from the previous year (they were all Spanish speakers). Would the two teachers be good candidates for references versus, say, a future boss (should I land a job and impress my superiors before the application is due)?

Any responses are appreciated!

I would say, get one from one of your English Professors and another from one of the English Teachers. The idea behind professional references is to give the screeners an idea of what other people think of you, so if you get one from a professor who had you in class and knows you well, they can give a recommendation that shows part of who you are and then if you get one from somebody you worked with in a teaching environment, that will round out the picture that they will read. Additionally, don't forget to tell the people who are writing your references what exactly JET is looking for in applicants.

Sirrus
July 11th, 2011, 22:48
I didn't make it past the first phase of selection, I'm still curious though. I remember reading on the JET website that you can contact them (the embassy) after April if I had questions about my application. Are they really alright with people contacting them for information about this or is that still taboo?

greengoo
July 11th, 2011, 22:54
I mean, they're not going to cut off your hands, but don't expect a detailed review of your application and where you fell short.

lathe
July 15th, 2011, 09:29
Those teachers sound like they would be good references. You might want to use one of them and then a teacher from your university, if you had one in particular that actually knows you. If you had a job during school your boss might be a good one too, if you had a good relationship with them.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I had good relationships with a few professors, so I suppose one of the teachers and one of the profs would be good. I just wasn't certain because none of the professors can really comment on my ability to adapt to a foreign culture, but then I don't really know anybody who could. lol.

I would say, get one from one of your English Professors and another from one of the English Teachers. The idea behind professional references is to give the screeners an idea of what other people think of you, so if you get one from a professor who had you in class and knows you well, they can give a recommendation that shows part of who you are and then if you get one from somebody you worked with in a teaching environment, that will round out the picture that they will read. Additionally, don't forget to tell the people who are writing your references what exactly JET is looking for in applicants.

Got it, thanks! I'll definitely do that.