PDA

View Full Version : New server - please tell me how you find the performance

Beer Baron
June 23rd, 2011, 05:38
Please let me know how you are finding the new server performing.

Any downtime, slowness, database crashes etc, report it here. Thanks

greengoo
June 23rd, 2011, 07:23
Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

greengoo
June 23rd, 2011, 11:06
On a serious note... the donation link isn't working.

On an edit note.... the paid name change link isn't working.

Antonath
June 23rd, 2011, 17:31
Timestamps are borked for me as well. Looks like mine are four hours behind.

Beer Baron
June 23rd, 2011, 20:52
Site died there for 5 mins because I was fixing the issue with URLs not be rewrote (ie. index.php?forum=13 becomes /anything-goes/) properly for SEO purposes. Should be fixed now.

Beer Baron
June 23rd, 2011, 21:05
Update: Time display should now be fixed (it was a tricky one to find - PHP timezone wasn't set properly in php.ini - it wasn't a vbulletin time setting or server timezone proplem)

Update 2: Donation link is now fixed. This will also fix the name change link. Thanks greengoo (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/members/greengoo.html)!

Beer Baron
June 24th, 2011, 05:47
Update: If you were unlucky to see a blank page (it was like that for maybe 15 seconds), that was me changing a configuration setting on the server. Should be working ok now.

mothy
June 24th, 2011, 21:37
The site hasn't jacked me off since it changed servers. If we could fix that I would much apppreciate it. THANK YOU!

greengoo
June 24th, 2011, 21:51
Been having an issue where the server seems to be logging me out at random, happened 2-3 times in the last few hours. No discernible trigger. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Pocket Theory: the server has become self-aware and realized it hates me.

mothy
June 24th, 2011, 21:58
You felt that too?

greengoo
June 24th, 2011, 22:28
In addition to the server and Mothy hating me (working as intended), I've noticed that about half the time instead of Badge images showing up, we'll see the alt-text as a hyperlink instead.

Beer Baron
June 25th, 2011, 01:04
For the past 45mins or so I was fixing things, so the server was up and down. Should be ok now.

greengoo
June 25th, 2011, 02:15
For the past 45mins or so I was fixing things, so the server was up and down. Should be ok now.

Not sure if this included the badge complaint I made, but they're still 50/50 in text form.

Beer Baron
June 25th, 2011, 02:17
gg, can you try a ctrl-r in your browser. if no change, clear your cache and try again.

greengoo
June 25th, 2011, 07:08
Seem to be working now. thank ye much.

lilyanphino
June 28th, 2011, 00:34
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I use Google Chrome for my browser and for some reason this site has been showing up as the temporary version instead of the back to normal version. I thought that this was just it being worked on, but then I checked it on a friend's computer who uses Internet Explorer and low and behold, I see the site normally. Even now I have both chrome and ie with itil on both and the ie version works fine when the chrome one is showing the old site.

Beer Baron
June 28th, 2011, 00:56
That is strange. Can you try clearing you cache within Chrome and try again?

Beer Baron
June 28th, 2011, 06:16
Recent problems over the last 2 or 3 days have been acknowledged by the new hosting provider. It was caused by circumstances outside their control and have explained the problem at the URLs below. Everything should now be back to normal.

Big Wet Fish Hosting - Announcements (http://www.bigwetfish.co.uk/whmcs/announcements/55/Cloud-Virtual-Data-Centre.html)

Big Wet Fish Hosting - Announcements (http://www.bigwetfish.co.uk/whmcs/announcements/52/Post-Incident-Report--Server-19-Outage.html)

lilyanphino
June 28th, 2011, 06:30
I have cleared the cache and everything and I am still having problems. Kindle works though so it might be my internet connection. I am going to a friend's house later so will check it there.

Beer Baron
June 28th, 2011, 06:33
Please do. It's strange as DNS issues would affect all applications on your computer, not just some.

Alphabet
June 29th, 2011, 13:38
We had an outage this morning.

Why?

Beer Baron
June 29th, 2011, 14:07
What time / timezone? What error/what was broken?

Alphabet
June 29th, 2011, 14:31
Yeah, that.

Antonath
June 29th, 2011, 14:32
Yep, had it here as well, and on my phone too. It was giving database errors and "could not reach website" errors.

Beer Baron
June 29th, 2011, 20:59
I asked the host what's going on and this is what I got in reply:

Hello

Yes they had another outage at 2am which was for the time frame you mention. It was not isolated to you as even www.dediserve.com (http://www.dediserve.com/) (the supplier) was down.

We are taking this seriously and we made a decision yesterday to move from them within 4 weeks.

Thanks for your patience on this.

NOT impressed.

We may have to move again.

mothy
June 29th, 2011, 22:00
Heehee

Beer Baron
June 30th, 2011, 03:03
To add to the absolute shambles of this whole fecking situation, I have just received a refund from the old hosting provider - for *HALF* of the amount they promised.

I'm going to explode.

Can NOBODY do anything right?!

Fuck this.

greengoo
June 30th, 2011, 05:05
What's the price break to go with a "big name" host? For instance, GoDaddy or HostGator?

Not sure if bigger is better, or just more expensive, but it seems we're getting crap luck with hosts lately.

Beer Baron
June 30th, 2011, 05:11
HostGator are shit, period.

GoDaddy are big, but they oversell the servers and so u get less for your money / slower servers. Stability *may* be higher, but we also need fast servers.

Big Name isn't always the best. You are just another number with them, and if you complain, in my experience you're handled by someone who doesn't give a crap as they hear the same thing all day long, 7 days a week.

The company we are with at the moment gives very good support. I've spoken with the owner on the phone and he is a nice guy who knows what he's doing. He highly respects customers. The problem(s) with the downtime are not their fault, it's their supplier. They are changing supplier and I pray they have done research into their support/stability.

Leah
July 5th, 2011, 21:35
Had some downtime this morning, around 10.30-11ish in UK time. Got a "the server at www.ithinkimlost.com is taking too long to respond" error. May have been my internet connection though, it's been a bit dodgy lately.

uthinkimlost?
July 5th, 2011, 21:40
Same here.

Beer Baron
July 6th, 2011, 05:57
Confirmed. Totally unacceptable. Have wrote an email to the hosting company

Antonath
July 6th, 2011, 08:49
Should we prepare for another temporary forum as we switch again, or are we hoping it's something external to the new company? They can shout with a louder voice than we can, after all...

Beer Baron
July 7th, 2011, 04:52
We'll leave it for now. The host are changing suppliers around the 15th July, so we'll judge it again then.

greengoo
July 7th, 2011, 04:55
Can we bring back the Temporary forum anyway?

Beer Baron
July 7th, 2011, 05:49
Why? :) Anything goes is open to anything

Beer Baron
July 14th, 2011, 01:25
Checking it out

Edit... yep, the server was down for ages. Host's supplier dropped the ball yet again.

Beer Baron
July 15th, 2011, 06:25
Site was down again for several hours. I have asked the hosting provider to explain to me in detail why the fuck it was down again.

Antonath
July 15th, 2011, 08:05
I'm guessing "our supplier had problems again". If I was cynical, I'd wonder if they're not just passing the buck to a convenient scapegoat...

Not that anyone on ITIL is that cynical, of course!

Beer Baron
July 15th, 2011, 08:18
Urgh, i dunno. Im fed up with it.

I cant be arsed moving everything again. It took a whole weekend to do last time and i have a shit load of other things to do.

Fuck sake.

Tarquin
July 15th, 2011, 08:38
On the plus side though, it only seems to die in the evenings Japan time, so those of us with nothing to do at work are fine ;)

Antonath
July 15th, 2011, 09:02
On the plus side though, it only seems to die in the evenings Japan time, so those of us with nothing to do at work are fine ;)
It went out in the early morning a few days ago, but it does mostly seem to be overnight.

And I'd agree with not moving yet - after all, didn't you say they're switching supplier this weekend? For all we know, last night's outage was the switch, and everything will be fine from now on.

What? Just because I'm a cynic doesn't mean I can't have the occasional moment of optimism.

Ini
July 15th, 2011, 09:13
at least it gives us all a break from cata pining over hikari and fucking up the moderation system for a few hours

Tarquin
July 15th, 2011, 09:32
See you in a week, Ini. :(

greengoo
July 18th, 2011, 07:04
ROAR

Beer Baron
July 18th, 2011, 07:17
Yes. I fully agree.

Someone give me the name of a company who can actually host this site for 24 hours without problems please.

lilyanphino
July 18th, 2011, 07:39
I'd love to, but I don't know one.

peanut
July 19th, 2011, 00:44
Half an hour is being generous. It seemed like at least 45min. But then again, maybe it just felt like forever.

Beer Baron
July 19th, 2011, 05:19
I've sat here looking at the blank message box for 5 minutes thinking of what to write. I dunno. I give up.

It's unacceptable. Big Wet Fish (Web Hosting, Servers, Domain Names, Resellers | Bigwetfish Hosting (http://www.bigwetfish.co.uk)) is worse than EUKHost. Far, far worse. They may talk a fantastic support team, and try their best, but the product DOES NOT provide the kind of service that I expect from it.

I'll be researching new providers as and when I can. I'm up to my eyes at work, I have a programming project to finish for an ITIL member that is loooong overdue (sorry - you know who you are), and I'm having to do the housework when I get home at 8pm from a day's work. My wife is on holiday in Japan for 2 months (wish I could have such a long holiday....) and I'm working flat out.

I thought the server problems would have been resolved when we moved away from EUKHost. They have got 100 times worse. Sorry.

Beer Baron
July 23rd, 2011, 04:17
Checked the server and it didn't die - it may just have been busy around that time.

Antonath
July 30th, 2011, 01:22
So, that's about 12 hours outage today? Via three different ISPs (work, phone, home)?

Beer Baron
July 30th, 2011, 01:24
Can you tell me the time from/time to you noticed it? And the timezone please.

Antonath
July 30th, 2011, 01:34
Erm, around 10-11 a.m., Japanese time, to sometime after 11 p.m. the same? I'd say it was down until later, but there's alcohol involved. Cata-whatsit noticed it too, but has only posted in AG rather than ITIL Downtime Proper Notification Thread.

Beer Baron
July 30th, 2011, 02:52
This might be related to the hosting provider preparing to move the site to the Cloud tomorrow. The Cloud *should* ensure zero downtime.

The forum will be locked tonight UK time around 10pm (3 hours from now). The forums will reopen again after the move.

Cheers.

Antonath
July 31st, 2011, 19:52
I think the timestamps are shot again.

Yep, five hours behind, though the time shown at the very bottom of the page is correct.

Beer Baron
July 31st, 2011, 20:30
Ok i'll sort this out

Beer Baron
July 31st, 2011, 22:22
Hi,

This should be fixed now. Can you confirm?

Antonath
July 31st, 2011, 23:07
Working via non-hipster means as well.

Beer Baron
August 5th, 2011, 05:13
We're now at a point where we need to decide whether we want to keep the cloud or not.

From what I can see, it has had 100% uptime, has fast page load times and fast responses to http requests. I'm happy with it, but the important thing is, are you?

They have come back with a pricelist and it's more expensive than I was expecting (by about 50%). I'm talking with them to try and get us a deal and get it near what we were paying before. $585 USD is just too expensive for me to accept.

Antonath
August 5th, 2011, 07:20
So far, there hasn't been a problem. Although traffic has been light, with the summer lull...

Seeing as we had to move to the cloud because their normal service blew donkey-dick, I'd imagine that a discount should be fairly easy to negotiate. Oh, wait... That's with companies that give a crap about customer service.

Beer Baron
August 6th, 2011, 06:52
I talked them down to the price we were paying before and we got an awesome spec of server for it. So thats us sorted for the next year. Hopefully we will see new posters :)