PDA

View Full Version : How did your requests turn out?

Muffles
June 28th, 2011, 03:21
Stealing this thread from last year because it's pretty interesting!

So now it seems that most people are hearing from their pred's and getting the finer details of their placement. Thought it would be good to make a poll to see how people's requests turned out!

I asked for semi-urban and that was it. Was wanting a placement where I could drive. I have a small town that is pretty far from any cities but it's pretty much what I wanted.

Froren
June 28th, 2011, 05:43
I suppose I got exactly what I requested since I chose Hokkaido and am in Hokkaido.

Muffles
June 28th, 2011, 06:00
HERP DERP
forum went down when I was still writing up this thread.

Also did not want to make the poll private ;__;

uthinkimlost?
June 28th, 2011, 06:11
Anybody want to place bets as to how long it takes for muffles to become disillusioned with driving?

Muffles
June 28th, 2011, 06:12
:012:

lilyanphino
June 28th, 2011, 06:23
I wanted a city and I got one. While I did not request Gunma, I am happy that I got placed there.

Cytrix
June 28th, 2011, 07:04
I put 'Kinda got my placement' as in I am the prefecture below my first choice. That counts right?

Buckeye22314
June 28th, 2011, 07:05
I only requested Shizuoka-ken and I'm in Hiroshima, so I didn't get what I requested. Nonetheless I'm happy with my placement.

atheistwithfaith
June 28th, 2011, 07:23
I requested Hokkaido, Gunma + Nagano and got Saitama so pretty close to two of those. I also requested urban and I am in a city. Not heard any more detailz yet.

Tyr
June 28th, 2011, 07:38
Perfectly

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 07:48
I put Gunma, Kyoto, and Okinawa, and I got Kyushu, so not exactly what I wanted but could definitely be worse.

Kittens
June 28th, 2011, 08:05
I got Kyoto so that's pretty much dead-on. Granted, it's in a smaller city with everything spread out so I'll have to get a car, but I'm quite pleased with the idea of the area.

Strange_quark
June 28th, 2011, 08:12
I got exactly what I asked as far as I can tell (important details still a little thin on the ground).

However, I made my first choice under the impression there was no way in hell I was going to get it :o

bittersweet
June 28th, 2011, 08:29
I'm about 1 hour from the city I requested.

mothy
June 28th, 2011, 10:10
I requested Hokkaido, Gunma + Nagano and got Saitama so pretty close to two of those. I also requested urban and I am in a city. Not heard any more detailz yet.

Dasai! Have you heard from your school yet? My school still hasn't heard shit about our new alt.

EricaHartmann
June 28th, 2011, 10:50
I'm placed in Saitama too (didn't put any preferences down) and I haven't heard a thing from my BoE. I assume since there are like 60 new JETS I won't have a pred though.

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 10:55
I hope for your sake its not kumagaya

Selkie
June 28th, 2011, 11:48
I requested Tokyo, Chiba and Hokkaido, and I got Ibaraki. All in all, reasonably close to what I requested. (No idea on city, though).

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 11:51
I hope for your sake its not kitaibaraki

greengoo
June 28th, 2011, 12:14
I requested Shiga and Kanagawa... at least I landed on the right island I guess. Still, I'm in a larger city and I'm excited!

EricaHartmann
June 28th, 2011, 12:22
Oh I already know the town i'm placed in, around 28 kms away from Kumagaya. Whats so bad about Kumagaya, other than the fact everyone is apparently buttugly?

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 12:25
39.8C in june.
its saitama so everywhere smells of shit
its saitama so everyone is working class scum
its saitama

isitatomic
June 28th, 2011, 12:53
Requested Urban, with Osaka/Sapporo/Kagawa as specific requests -- was eventually placed on the microscopic inaka dick tip of Shikoku. So... yeah, didn't work out so hot for this city slicker, though the unlimited supply of mikan and the free company car is nice

jamesp
June 28th, 2011, 13:35
Requested nothing and got exactly what I wanted.

Eudox
June 28th, 2011, 13:55
Got my second prefecture choice, semi-urban. Pretty much perfect seeing as I'd long since decided my first choice was a bad idea.

mothy
June 28th, 2011, 14:15
I'm placed in Saitama too (didn't put any preferences down) and I haven't heard a thing from my BoE. I assume since there are like 60 new JETS I won't have a pred though.

It was only last year they dropped a lot of their JET positions so it's possible you had someone at your school recently. If it's towards Tokyo I might know something about your placement if you want to PM me where you ended up.

If it's out in the countryside in Saitama I don't know anything about it though since I stay away from that land of inbreeders as much as possible.

Muffles
June 28th, 2011, 16:40
So it seems that most people are happy with their placements, even if they didn't get exactly what they wanted...unless the people who said they didn't get what they wanted at all who aren't happy want to post.

uthinkimlost?
June 28th, 2011, 16:46
Has hintalove recovered enough to post yet?

mothy
June 28th, 2011, 16:46
The Saitama people just don't realise they're unhappy yet.

Muffles
June 28th, 2011, 16:50
Saitama is lovelyyy

mothy
June 28th, 2011, 17:32
:|
Even Saitama jin don't think Saitama is lovely. Convenient yes. Lovely no.

uthinkimlost?
June 28th, 2011, 17:55
Muffles thinks everything is lovely. It's part of her illness.

Muffles
June 28th, 2011, 17:57
I don't think you're lovely :|

uthinkimlost?
June 28th, 2011, 18:02
I'm not everything.

Take your pill.

atheistwithfaith
June 28th, 2011, 20:35
Dasai! Have you heard from your school yet? My school still hasn't heard shit about our new alt.

I have heard zero from my school / BoE. Why did they drop JET only to pick it up again? Were the dispatch ALTs really that shit?

mothy
June 28th, 2011, 21:16
Yep. The board got so many complaints from the teachers that they went back after one year. But nice of them to get rid of JETs for one year just as an experiment... It's not like it was anyone's job or anything...

Tyr
June 28th, 2011, 21:18
They did this whilst they had someone wanting to recontract?
Could have at least waited till between jets, sheesh.

jwkelley
June 28th, 2011, 21:38
Didn't really get what I asked for. Really wanted a high school but 3 days jr high and elementary. Seems I have full control over my Elem. classes though which is something I probably would not of gotten at a high school. I am excited about this. Plus the placement seems cool only 2 hours from Osaka, apt is supposedly nice and subsidized a little, pred is selling me a decent car cheap. Seems like a really good placement, happy about it.

rei_samantha
June 29th, 2011, 01:33
Requested Gunma as my second choice and got it so I'm all happy :)

okinomiyaki
June 29th, 2011, 03:51
I'm happy with my placement. I think I'll be happy anywhere in Nagasaki prefecture, from what I've seen it looks lovely.

WaIdroon
June 29th, 2011, 13:32
Requested Urban, with Osaka/Sapporo/Kagawa

Hahahahaha! Might as well have requested Tokyo & Kyoto.

WaIdroon
June 29th, 2011, 13:38
Were the dispatch ALTs really that shit?

They usually are, especially for inaka placements because you can usually transfer quickly. So, dude arrives, sees no hot young poon and a village of 5,000, then just fucks off to the nearest major city.

Gigantic rotating door of ALTs means years of nothing but headache and introduction lessons.

judyrudy
June 29th, 2011, 13:39
I requested Kyoto or Osaka pref. and got Osaka. I'm really happy about it so far, and the only bad thing I've seen about this placement is the completely unfurnished apartment.

Cytrix
June 29th, 2011, 17:18
I am close to the only Lush store in Kyushu so I am happy

Muffles
June 29th, 2011, 22:19
It makes me sad that my nearest Lush is pretty far away...but at least it's reachable. Will be treating myself!

TakoBakko
June 30th, 2011, 11:00
Requested Miyagi got Sendai. Good thing I'm not fat or my apartment would be really small.

kyaillya
June 30th, 2011, 19:19
I got what I requested (Kyoto) but ended up in a suburban/rural placement (requested urban). However I'm within easy reach of Kyoto city and Osaka - so I can't complain!!!

Yawata-shi here I come :D

melty
June 30th, 2011, 20:45
I got what I requested (Kyoto) but ended up in a suburban/rural placement (requested urban). However I'm within easy reach of Kyoto city and Osaka - so I can't complain!!!

Yawata-shi here I come :D

I'm quite impressed with the number of Kyoto placements from the UK this year (It looks like there are 13 of you.) Does that mean Kyoto has given up on Interac?

Strange_quark
June 30th, 2011, 21:50
I think it's more that a LOT of Kyoto JETs are leaving this year. My predecessor has been there four years.

Also, Kyoto are probably feeling a bit of the UK monarchy magic. We're all royalty here, don't you know!

Hintalove
June 30th, 2011, 22:01
Dude wanted Tokyo and got Hokkaido.

That's kind of close.

Stupid sister cities.

Oh well, at least I got a some-what urban location.

Muffles
June 30th, 2011, 22:02
oh dear, did you ignore all the warnings jet gives you about rural placements and not getting your placement requests?

Tyr
July 1st, 2011, 00:03
oh dear, did you ignore all the warnings jet gives you about rural placements and not getting your placement requests?
What warnings are these?
A Tokyo request= a request for uber inaka?

Muffles
July 1st, 2011, 00:13
What?

lilyanphino
July 1st, 2011, 00:28
It seems to be popular for JET to look at your request and then give you the exact opposite. At least in one out of twenty placements.

Hintalove
July 1st, 2011, 09:17
It seems to be popular for JET to look at your request and then give you the exact opposite. At least in one out of twenty placements.

This.

I didn't expect that I would get exactly what I wanted, I just didn't expect to get as far as humanly posible from what I wanted, lol.

That said, I think I have a decent placement. Which is why I'm on the fence if I'm happy or sad about it.

Hikari
July 1st, 2011, 09:20
Wait did you seriously request Tokyo?

Tyr
July 1st, 2011, 09:56
of course.

Everyone knows there are no jet placements in the greater metropolitan area so when people say tokyo CLAIR assumes they mean those small islands out in the middle of the ocean that are governed by Tokyo. Of course there are only a few placements there so they try and match requests to a similar location, like on the top of a mountain in kyushu or in a ice field in hokkaido

Interesting theory. So they aren't just being mean afterall. heh.

Aren't there one or two 'proper' Tokyo placements out in the north west of the prefecture though?

WaIdroon
July 1st, 2011, 10:34
This.

I didn't expect that I would get exactly what I wanted, I just didn't expect to get as far as humanly posible from what I wanted, lol.

That said, I think I have a decent placement. Which is why I'm on the fence if I'm happy or sad about it.

You should be glad you didn't get Tokyo. Most of the 'Tokyo' placements are a lot worse than living near Sapporo. However if you're that broken up about it just turn down your placement. The last thing Hokkaido JETs are going to want to hear is how broken-hearted you are that you're not in Tokyo when half of them are hours away from anything remotely like a city.

Hintalove
July 1st, 2011, 11:03
You should be glad you didn't get Tokyo. Most of the 'Tokyo' placements are a lot worse than living near Sapporo. However if you're that broken up about it just turn down your placement. The last thing Hokkaido JETs are going to want to hear is how broken-hearted you are that you're not in Tokyo when half of them are hours away from anything remotely like a city.

I guess it's good that I didn't request Tokyo then. I wouldn't want a rift to form between me and my fellow igloo bros.

WaIdroon
July 1st, 2011, 11:15
What you requested doesn't matter as much as how much you complain about the outcome.

GOKU SSJ4
July 1st, 2011, 13:46
That's kind of close.

Stupid sister cities.

Oh well, at least I got a some-what urban location.

if you're the one who got placed in ebetsu then fuck you. there's about 140 other jets in the prefecture who would happily take your life for that placement. stop being a bitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

wry bread
July 1st, 2011, 14:26
So who's coming to Fukuoka?

Froren
July 1st, 2011, 14:41
if you're the one who got placed in ebetsu then fuck you. there's about 140 other jets in the prefecture who would happily take your life for that placement. stop being a bitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not that I'm upset with my placement at all, but besides myself, I know many others that actually put Sapporo as choice number 1 and didn't get it. So....yea.

Muffles
July 1st, 2011, 15:24
+100000000000000000000

Just turn down if you feel that let down by it and let a grateful alternate go.

lilyanphino
July 2nd, 2011, 00:58
Well, I talked to another JET in my placement town and from his knowledge I learned that I may be replacing a JET who left in March because they were a pansy or I'm being sent to a school(s) who didn't do JET last year. Besides the JET that was rumored to have left in March, he doesn't know anyone else who is leaving.

isitatomic
July 2nd, 2011, 05:40
Hahahahaha! Might as well have requested Tokyo & Kyoto.

Really don't think it would have been so bad if I had left out Kagawa, which was the green light for throwing me into Ikata's peninsular grody armpit. Just threw it in as a wildcard for what was, in retrospect, a pretty lame reason. Maybe because I also talked about WWOOFing in the interview? Oh well -- free car, unending cornucopia of mikan, and cash hoarding here I come.

MCAS
July 2nd, 2011, 09:57
Oh well -- free car, unending cornucopia of mikan, and cash hoarding here I come.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Cash hoarding sounds fun to me, I'm going to see if I can't restrain myself and save/invest at least $600 a month.

Ode to a Grasshopper
September 3rd, 2011, 15:05
Put down Osaka on the advice of some Japanese friends in Oz. Didn't know anything about it, just took their advice - which is what I told the interviewers.
Got it and am loving it.

MCAS
September 5th, 2011, 19:35
You should be glad you didn't get Tokyo. Most of the 'Tokyo' placements are a lot worse than living near Sapporo.

Indeed, the only "Tokyo" placement I met at Orientation was placed on an Island 25 hours out to sea....

Tyr
September 6th, 2011, 17:57
Oh, you met them?
I wondered about that, saw their name in the guide book. Wonder what they spent all their time doing when we were meeting our prefectural folks. How were they about it? Did they ask for such a place?
I do love the idea of anime mega freaks putting down Tokyo, getting it, and being all w00t until July and the exact nature of their placement becomes clear....

Though I must say I'm pretty sure I have read about one or two mainland Tokyo placements- not in the city itself though, out in the far north west corner of the prefecture, Okutama or something. Though don't quote me on that, I'm not 100%.

It must be said Osaka and Kyoto don't seem such horrible choices as Tokyo, a fair lot of people get placed over there.

Jetonabe
September 6th, 2011, 18:29
I asked for Fukuoka but got Hyogo (which i had never heard of) instead. I'm glad I got Hyogo though because it's actually class!

HeartNana
September 7th, 2011, 11:01
Osaka placements are nice because it's the smallest prefecture, so even if you're in the smallest crappiest far away area, you're still a lot closer to a major city than most JETs.

Antonath
September 7th, 2011, 13:25
I asked for somewhere near Kyoto, aiming for a decent-sized country town with a big city within easy reach. I got pretty much exactly what I wanted, except the city is Tokyo.

atheistwithfaith
September 7th, 2011, 19:39
I asked for Hokkaido and got Saitama.

Antonath
September 7th, 2011, 22:11
You'll appreciate that in the winter.

Milanna
September 11th, 2011, 20:42
Requested Fukuoka and Oita because I wanted to be as far away from winter in Hokkaido as possible. Got placed just south of them. Fifteen minutes away from inaka and 25 minutes away from big city and absolutely love it :>. Don't love the cost of rent so much though....

semicolon
September 13th, 2011, 09:26
I didn't put down any specific requests, though prior to hearing back about placement I was kind of wishing I had put down Hokkaido out of fear of mukade and other scary insects. I didn't get placed in Hokkaido, but I haven't seem any terrifying insects thus far, so I'm pretty pleased.