PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy my Pred's car?

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 08:10
I have no idea about the specifics of Japanese auto insurance, so I'm looking for some advice on whether this is a good deal or if I should take my chances with the garage in Oita prefecture.

Here is what my pred has sent me about the car, I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger there isn't anything I'm forgetting.

Toyota Altezza RS200 RWD, Manual
White Plate car
160,000km
Road tax until end of May 2012
Shaken until end of March 2012
ABS brakes
AC and all that good stuff
Recently replaced battery
CD/ MP3/ ipod player
In good condition, no body deformation, although some slight cosmetic scratches to paintwork / passenger inside door handle cover.

He's asking 100,000 yen for the car. He attached pictures and it looks really nice. Black rims, silver, good looking interior. He says he uses the high octane fuel for the better milage, but that regular works too.

Opinions?

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 08:20
seems ok, milage is skyhigh of course but its cheap enough. probably wont find much better for the price plus the advantage of buying from your pred is they can work with your supervisor to get all the paperwork taken care of so you can drive it the second you touch down in japan.

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 08:39
I was reading in the GIH about insurance, liability and then the optional. The handbook makes it sound like the optional is crucial and that you really can't go without it. I should probably ask what he pays in insurance before deciding correct?

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 08:42
if you are under 25 I'd reckon you'd be looking at 1man a month for that car without any noclaims bonus.

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 08:59
Ok cool. I'll ask him. He also said that his shaken cost him just under 100,000 yen when it was paid last, which is almost he price of the car. Not sure how this influences things.

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 09:04
if he only paid 10man on that last time he got it shakened that means they didn't do much so chances are you will be looking at new break pads etc next march. if you dont fancy spending 11-14man next year then this car isnt for you, buy a shitty yellow plate deathtrap for 12man with 2 years shaken included.

bittersweet
June 28th, 2011, 10:49
i would buy that!

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 10:51
for a dollar?
http://infinitestatemachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/buythatforadollar.jpg

kawaiijutsu
June 28th, 2011, 11:08
youre not TOO likely to die in a yellow plate....just dont go on the highway with it ><

AnruiUkimi
June 28th, 2011, 11:46
I go on the highways and expressways all the time in my yellow-plate, and I've never had an issue. Of course, as I come from SoCal, I tend to treat expressway driving as a battleground anyway, so I was prepared. ^_~

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 11:49
have a crash at 120 in a yellowplate and then tell me its not an issue

3liter6
June 28th, 2011, 12:27
He's asking 100,000 yen for the car. He attached pictures and it looks really nice. Black rims, silver, good looking interior. He says he uses the high octane fuel for the better milage, but that regular works too.

Opinions?

If you like the car, you're not going to find a nicer white plate for the money. I've seen Kei rental figures of around 15000 yen/month. So even if you junked the Altezza when the insurance or shaken expired you'd be basically paying the same to drive a Kei as the Altezza (90000 vs 100000 yen)

Altezzas are very nice cars. Hell, if you're not too far from me, and don't want it I'd buy it in a heartbeat. In the US and other markets, they were sold with a Lexus badge on the hood (IS300 with the 3.0 I6 instead of the 2.0 I4 in your car), and designed with the BMW 3-series firmly in its crosshairs.

Yes, it's got high miles by Japanese standards, but it's still only 100K miles on a Toyota--the company that defines Japanese reliability. As far as deferred maintenance, it all depends upon how many miles he's put on the car since the last shaken or annual inspection if he's been getting them. If it's only say, 5-10K kms it'll probably sail through unless things were really marginal before.

The only caution I'd give is that it is a RWD sport sedan. Especially if you live in an area with snow, the driving dynamic can be very different than what you're likely used to (FWD).

For what its worth my Pred wants to sell me a car 4 years older, with another 40K kms on the clock and a Shaken that expires the month I arrive for 120,000. I'm fairly non-plussed about the situation.

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 12:48
12man for a car with 200k on the clock with no shaken? it better be something desirable because if its just a bog standard salon then tell them to piss off.

Alphabet
June 28th, 2011, 12:56
Buy it!

3liter6
June 28th, 2011, 13:35
I hope you're not planning to buy that. You can find your own used car through a dealer with a year or two of shaken included for Y2-300,000.

Yeah, not planning on it. It's a really shitty situation compounded by a lot of other factors, one of them being that I'm apparently a 3 hour walk over some mountains away from the closest train station. Last time, my pred didn't have a car, so it wasn't a problem (or more accurately my pred was so unhappy she booked it long before I arrived on the scene, so I have no idea what she had car wise.)

I don't think he's trying to screw me, but just genuinely doesn't understand it's not worth anything. He's a 5th year, and it sounds like he's had it this whole time, so I can help wondering what he paid for it and if he hasn't long since gotten his money out of it. I was thinking of suggesting he talk to someone at the BoE/school who knows something about cars and ask them for their opinion on its value. Maybe better than hearing it from me.

My main concern with not buying it is pissing everyone off. Based on what I've been able to glean about my placement, I'll be pretty helpless without a vehicle. Given I had the option to purchase a car from my no doubt well loved Pred and turned it down, I can't imagine anyone will be particularly forgiving or tolerant of my vehicle less situation. Did anyone start their placement by hitchhiking everywhere?

BTW, yes a bog standard sedan--albeit it sounds like a fairly clean one. Think Nissan Maxima.

greengoo
June 28th, 2011, 13:41
I'd recommend buying it, and I can't believe no one's said this....

PICS?

running roku
June 28th, 2011, 14:01
What year is it? The RS200s are still fetching decent prices in the Japanese market so that seems like very good value to me. I couldn't buy it for that price at a wholesale auction.

Also if (when) you buy it definitely run it on high octane, the car will enjoy it much more and get better economy. Running regular will cost less per fill (obviously) but is false economy.

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 14:07
I'd recommend buying it, and I can't believe no one's said this....

PICS?

Heyaa

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 14:09
And here's the interior. I'm really diggin the car.

Page
June 28th, 2011, 14:10
Rommy is there a set name for that insurance? I wanna get on it and keep forgetting to ask the other ALT who does. D:

running roku
June 28th, 2011, 14:11
that is ridiculously cheap at 100,000yen.

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 14:18
not really, tyres look bald, stupid aftermarket exhaust, brakes look suspect, shitty aftermarket stereo, insane milage. Its a fair price at 10man but the shaken in march wont be cheap so its not some kind of superb bargin of the century. You can get much nicer ones for not much more (30-40man with shaken) but they aren't waiting for you the second you arrive off the plane.

word
June 28th, 2011, 14:20
@ Kuro - Looks like a pretty good deal to me, unless you can't drive a standard or just don't like the car for some bizarre reason. Ini is right about the mileage, though. It's similar to the first car I got here, and if you're out in the inaka, then having a performance-ish car is just dumb. You'll pay out the arse for fuel and you don't get to drive fast very often, anyway, as you're usually stuck behind a line of kei-trucks going 10k under the posted limit.

@ 3liter - I was car-less for the first couple of weeks; it sucked arse. That said, I'd have preferred it to getting completely ripped off. If he'll come down, cool, if not, f* him. There will be other options when you arrive. If you buy the car, you'll be looking at spending something like $2500 (for the $1000 cost of the car + shakken and whatever work it needs). For that kind of cash, you could've bought something newer/nicer from a dealer or another ALT.

Kuro2Flo
June 28th, 2011, 14:24
If for some reason I don't take it, will I get taken to some garage and bent over for whatever I'm worth?

Ini
June 28th, 2011, 14:29
if you are stupid you might, easiest thing to do is to research online, find a car you want, go look at it, agree to buy it, take all the paperwork they give you home and give it to your supervisor, go back in 3 weeks to pick up your shiny new car.

greengoo
June 28th, 2011, 14:35
Its no GTR, but the wheels are slick. Try offering him 75% of his AP amd see if he bites. "i like the car but im not sure i can pay that much... Can you come down to XXX?"

running roku
June 28th, 2011, 18:19
not really, tyres look bald, stupid aftermarket exhaust, brakes look suspect, shitty aftermarket stereo, insane milage. Its a fair price at 10man but the shaken in march wont be cheap so its not some kind of superb bargin of the century. You can get much nicer ones for not much more (30-40man with shaken) but they aren't waiting for you the second you arrive off the plane.

Does depend what year it is for how good value it is, but I still don't think it is a great deal. It actually looks like the front tyres have a fair bit of meat left on them judging by the wear markings, although who knows what the back tyres are like. I agree to an extent that the aftermarket muffler is a little odd looking, but if it has a nice subtle note then that is acceptable IMO. Aftermarket stereo is neither here nor there compared to factory one. Interested to know how you can judge the brakes from the photos provided - the discs look fine to me if that is what you mean. You should easily be able to renew the shaken and walk away with a large chunk of change (and a whole lot less hassle) compared to buying a car somewhere else. With a (very) quick search the cheapest RS200 Manual Altezza I could find on Goo net was 53.8man including costs. (done 107kms, but less appealing IMHO and with only three months more shaken than this one). I still think this one is a bargain.

It should hold its value pretty well too due to the current lack of Toyota sports cars.

Kuro2Flo: what year is it?

running roku
June 28th, 2011, 18:25
Its no GTR, but the wheels are slick. Try offering him 75% of his AP amd see if he bites. "i like the car but im not sure i can pay that much... Can you come down to XXX?"

Wheels are just average really, but they look good with the black contrasting the silver though and are better offset (and probably wider) than the factory alloys. You are right it is not a GTR - but this is nowhere near GTR money. It will be however very nice to drive: the Beams 210PS 3S-GE is powerful and rev happy and this obviously has aftermarket suspension as well so it should handle very nicely.

Eudox
June 28th, 2011, 19:44
I guess it's my turn to post. Although I only have minimal details at the moment, my pred's car is a Suzuki Alto with shakken valid till April 2013. He wants 150,000 yen for it, and yes it is a kei car. I'm going to be semi-rural so a kei car isn't a huge worry, but I would like to hit the expressway up every couple of weeks...

Any opinions appreciated.

word
June 28th, 2011, 20:14
What year/mileage? Winter tires? Tire condition? Doesn't sound too bad, though; shakken for two years'll keep ya goin' for a while.

Jojo
June 28th, 2011, 22:10
don't forget with the white plate your going to be up for about 40,000 yen a year for the car tax - yellow plates are only about 7,000

jamesp
June 29th, 2011, 00:30
My main concern with not buying it is pissing everyone off. Based on what I've been able to glean about my placement, I'll be pretty helpless without a vehicle. Given I had the option to purchase a car from my no doubt well loved Pred and turned it down, I can't imagine anyone will be particularly forgiving or tolerant of my vehicle less situation. Did anyone start their placement by hitchhiking everywhere?

This. Is it a huge dick move to not buy your pred's car? Is there another easy way for them to get rid of it without taking a huge loss? I don't think I really want a car... Though it seems like one would be convenient where I'll be, I don't think it will be totally necessary. I'm planning to get around mostly by bike. In any case, I don't want to buy a motor vehicle the second I get there (or before, really). I want to feel out my situation first and figure out whether or not I'll even need one. Is this the right approach?

Kuro2Flo
June 29th, 2011, 07:05
Kuro2Flo: what year is it?

He says he thinks it is a 1999.

Also, he says he paid around 80,000 when he first got here a few years ago, and that is probably around what I should expect to pay a month. But apparently the road tax (is that compulsory or optional?) has been paid through March of next year.

word
June 29th, 2011, 08:55
don't forget with the white plate your going to be up for about 40,000 yen a year for the car tax - yellow plates are only about 7,000True.

It's worth it, though, imho.

This. Is it a huge dick move to not buy your pred's car? Is there another easy way for them to get rid of it without taking a huge loss? I don't think I really want a car... Though it seems like one would be convenient where I'll be, I don't think it will be totally necessary. I'm planning to get around mostly by bike. In any case, I don't want to buy a motor vehicle the second I get there (or before, really). I want to feel out my situation first and figure out whether or not I'll even need one. Is this the right approach?If you don't want to buy the car, don't buy the car. You may end up seriously regretting it, but it's not necessarily a "dick move." If their asking price is fair, odds are they'll be able to sell it to someone.

I don't know that it's the "right approach" to assume that having a car will be "unnecessary." My village is on a train line, and there are a multitude of bus lines and such in the area... but the first couple of weeks I spent here without a car were absolutely horrible. Do not underestimate the importance of independent vehicular travel when placed out in the inaka. It can make a huge difference.

Also, he says he paid around 80,000 when he first got here a few years ago, and that is probably around what I should expect to pay a month. But apparently the road tax (is that compulsory or optional?) has been paid through March of next year.What? 80,000 a month? That doesn't make any sense. Also, LOL @ "optional" tax. Who would pay such a thing? Everyone who owns a car (whether they drive it or not) hasta pay the road tax; it's paid annually around April or something.

Alphabet
June 29th, 2011, 09:10
Can it drift? I think that is the most important question.

Kuro2Flo
June 29th, 2011, 13:44
And by 80,000

I mean 8,000

AnruiUkimi
June 30th, 2011, 11:17
have a crash at 120 in a yellowplate and then tell me its not an issue

Oh, I wouldn't be here after that to worry about it. These things are held together by tinfoil and hope.

Lego
July 1st, 2011, 10:33
Does anyone know what kind of forms / costs are associated with transferring a car title?

WaIdroon
July 1st, 2011, 11:03
Depends on who actually holds the title.

Eudox
July 3rd, 2011, 13:11
my pred's car is a Suzuki Alto with shakken valid till April 2013. He wants 150,000 yen for it, and yes it is a kei car.

I've since got a bit more information. It's a '95 Alto with 69,000km on the clock and it comes with snow tyres. He is also throwing in a scooter which he initially was trying to sell me for 25,000 yen (which I politely declined). From the photos he has sent me, they both appear to be in tidy condition.

Although it is an older car, the price seems reasonable and the convenience of having a car straight away is very appealing.

Any comments would be great (and thanks for the prelim. feedback word).

totemotee
July 3rd, 2011, 14:35
@Eudox - yeah man i agree. if you don't have a car preference, this is a vehicle that comes with a scooter for a reasonable price.

@Kuro - get it!

My pred also wants to sell me his car but hasn't given me details yet. From what I can tell through facebook, it's a Toyota Paseo.... I might bite depending on the price / shaken situation and all that, but I kinda want something fancy for my time in Hokkaido..

HeartNana
July 4th, 2011, 08:59
Keep in mind that you need a seperate license to drive the scooter...

ScienceDivison
July 4th, 2011, 09:17
Keep in mind that you need a seperate license to drive the scooter...

Well it depends. If your coming over from the states (for example), and you have your scooter/motorcycle license and you come over with a IDP, than you can drive the scooter for 1 year just fine. But if you never got a scooter/motorcycle license in your country, you won`t be able to legally drive a scooter. When you get your Japanese drivers license you are able to drive up to 50cc but more than that you will need to take a seperate exam. Japan has a pain in the ass system where depending on the cc there is a different test. There are around 5-7 motorcycle tests one could take..

Eudox
July 4th, 2011, 09:44
With an NZ license you are actually allowed to drive a scooter, although it isn't written explicitly on the license. I figure I'll just risk it (and play the dumb gaijin card) for the first couple of months and then take the scooter test.

Lego
July 4th, 2011, 09:56
I figure I'll just risk it (and play the dumb gaijin card)

"Playing the dumb gaijin card" does not apply to matters of legal / illegal.

Eudox
July 4th, 2011, 10:03
"Playing the dumb gaijin card" does not apply to matters of legal / illegal.

True, but do you know if I would be legally allowed to ride a scooter in this case? I am genuinely unsure about the rules here.

EDIT: Just found this, bummer..

Since your license from home is for a car (and not a motorcycle), you can NOT legally ride a 50cc scooter (aka gentsuki) in Japan on an international driving permit (IDP), even if you were allowed to use one in your home country with your normal car license.

Lego
July 4th, 2011, 13:55
If you're going to stay more than a year, you might as well apply for the Japanese license early and then you can ride a scooter.

Eudox
July 4th, 2011, 13:59
Are you allowed to ride a scooter with a Japanese car license, or are they separate?

Lego
July 4th, 2011, 14:16
Japanese car license allows for scooters.

Eudox
July 4th, 2011, 14:23
Excellent, I'll do that straight away then. Thanks Lego!

Page
July 4th, 2011, 15:18
Yeah I'd go for it--shakken 'til 2013 is sweet for that price. Kei can be a pain in the ass (or so Truth tells me) but it's better than nothing. If you get tired of it you can always sell the car to a new ALT next year.

jamesp
July 4th, 2011, 23:11
Do you need to have a scooter/motorcycle license for 3 months+ as well in your home country to be able to operate a <50cc scooter in Japan on an IDP, if you've had your driver's license for 3+ months?

totemotee
July 5th, 2011, 08:00
Alright so my pred gave me the down low on everything he wants to sell me (car, etc). It's not a Toyota Paseo as I thought it was, here are the details:

1997 Nissan Lucino, 145,000 km, black, 3 door, manual, “white plate”, with 4WD, power steering, ABS, twin airbags, power windows and CD player/radio. Shaken and Tax are paid until July and May of next year, respectively.

car pic 1 (http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8701/car1a.png)

car pic 2 (http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/852/car2b.png)

car pic 3 (http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6978/car3.png)

He wants to sell me the car, plus a snowboard (with boots and bindings - shoe size fits me), Refrigerator (old one broke down, so he had to buy a new one), and a Canon Pixus iP4200 Printer all for 15man-en

What do you guys think?

Eudox
July 5th, 2011, 08:04
Sounds like a bargain to me.

word
July 5th, 2011, 09:22
I think it's a decent deal. Price for the car sounds about right, fridge may or may not be good, snowboard/boots may or may not be good, and the printer is completely worthless (I have no idea why he would include that in the deal). Do you mind being forced to get your manual license if you stay longer than a year?

Ini
July 5th, 2011, 09:25
15man is a ridiculous amount to pay for a car, fucked if I know if they will be any good because I've never spent such a miserable amount of money on a car before but as long as it has 4 wheels and a engine you should be doing ok.

Lego
July 5th, 2011, 09:57
It is a bargain by foreign standards. It is an average to meh deal by ALT standards.

WaIdroon
July 5th, 2011, 16:08
Alright so my pred gave me the down low on everything he wants to sell me (car, etc). It's not a Toyota Paseo as I thought it was, here are the details:

1997 Nissan Lucino, 145,000 km, black, 3 door, manual, “white plate”, with 4WD, power steering, ABS, twin airbags, power windows and CD player/radio. Shaken and Tax are paid until July and May of next year, respectively.

He wants to sell me the car, plus a snowboard (with boots and bindings - shoe size fits me), Refrigerator (old one broke down, so he had to buy a new one), and a Canon Pixus iP4200 Printer all for 15man-en

What do you guys think?

I dunno. A new refrigerator probably only cost him 2-3 man, assuming he didn't just pick one up at a second hand store. The printer is fucking useless, your schools have printers. That particular printer is like 1 man new, if you even wanted it.

Without knowing the make and model of the snowboard it's not worth considering. A shit snowboard + boots + bindings from a second hand shop can be as little as 2000 yen. A good set could be 10 man in Japan. Ask him for pics and information.

The car is old, has a shit ton of miles on it, and the shakken will have to be renewed in a year. That means if you plan on staying two years you personally will be on the hook to pay between 12 and 17 man, depending on if any problems come up. But a car that old, with that many miles, it's a safe bet it'll be in that range.

Even if you leave after this year you're gonna have to pay the shakken in order to sell the car to your successor, assuming you are gonna try to sell it.

Tell him you want to deal with the price of the car as it's own thing and you can talk about the other shit later. Find out his price for just the car itself.

I can't imagine it's worth more than about $700-800, even with shakken. Car's that old with that many miles have almost zero value in Japan.

totemotee
July 5th, 2011, 17:59
Do you mind being forced to get your manual license if you stay longer than a year?

nope don't mind at all, i actually preferred a manual car in the first place.

here are pics of the other items:

Fridge (http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1350/fridgem.jpg)

snowboard 1 (http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8716/snowboard1.jpg)

snowboard 2 (http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7576/snowboard2m.jpg)

snowboard 3 (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9850/snowboard3.jpg)

boots (http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2025/snowboardboots.jpg)

Tell him you want to deal with the price of the car as it's own thing and you can talk about the other shit later. Find out his price for just the car itself.

makes sense. Also, as far as I can tell It looks like I'll be needing a car in my inaka (schools are about 5-10 miles away, not to mention the hokkaido winters in a couple months).

I did want to buy something a bit more fancy later on (older Evo or Impreza? 4wd luxury vehicle ?)... I could use the car for a year till shaken is up, scrap it and then get a new one.

word
July 5th, 2011, 18:23
Yeah, Waldroon is probably right; the stuff he's "including" in the price of the car is mostly worthless. The fridge is your standard dorm room special.

I think he's only throwing the other shit in to justify asking so much for the car. I still don't think it's a horrible deal--the car appears to be well-cared for (although it's obviously just been washed/waxed and had the tires shined), it's a MT so the thing almost certainly won't have any transmission issues, and some of what you're paying for is the "convenience" of having your BoE help with the transfer paperwork, avoiding a car-shopping experience, and keeping things cool between you and your pred. That all said, upon further consideration on my part, and seeing what the other guys have been sayin'... 150,000 is probably too much.

WaIdroon
July 5th, 2011, 21:04
That looks like a 1 man special snowboard set, unless I'm missing a company name somewhere. No name brand, no logos, old style full lace boots....not worth much tbh. Probably a generic one off the rack at some sports outlet store. Same with the fridge, not worth much. Talk on the price of the car and offer maybe 1 man for everything else.

Ini
July 5th, 2011, 21:33
oh its only 15man, just pay it and have an easy life.

Jojo
July 5th, 2011, 22:23
oh its only 15man, just pay it and have an easy life.
yeah its not a bad deal - plus it will be you on the other side of the fence in a few years

word
July 6th, 2011, 08:27
Price comparison: dude in my pref. just offered an Alto w/good winter tires + shakken through November for 4man.

Ini
July 6th, 2011, 08:32
jesus, ok maybe it is expensive. cheapest car I've ever bought it japan was 30man so I dont know much about the gritty underworld of ALT car deals

Jojo
July 6th, 2011, 08:47
Price comparison: dude in my pref. just offered an Alto w/good winter tires + shakken through November for 4man.
Thats a good deal too but its also half the amount of shakken.. Look a better way to look at it is what kind of car can you get OUTSIDE of the ALT market - and the answer is one that's a lot more expensive. Anything with shakken and in good condition for 20 man or less is already cheaper than most used car dealers.

word
July 6th, 2011, 09:58
Yeah, I ended up paying 50man for MG and I's car from a dealer, but it's a nice car and was worth it.

That said, my pred's pred apparently bought her car from a local townie for next to nothing, and at the time, it was really nice (by the time I got it, it was gettin' a bit old/shitty). It may not be easy/possible, but if you can find a local who's preparing to buy a new car, anything you pay them will probably be more than they'll get for a trade-in, so they might be happy to sell to you.

totemotee
July 8th, 2011, 18:43
I ended up deciding that the price my pred. was asking for the car and all that was fair and we worked out a payment plan.. Thanks guys!

Eudox
July 8th, 2011, 21:01
I also decided to buy my pred's car and scooter - thanks for the comments.

Jojo
July 8th, 2011, 21:42
I ended up deciding that the price my pred. was asking for the car and all that was fair and we worked out a payment plan.. Thanks guys!
good work!

totemotee
July 9th, 2011, 08:18
My pred also told me that the car i'm buying from him has been the JET-Mobile for several years... his pred sold him the same car lol

word
July 12th, 2011, 18:02
A quick word of warning...

A leaver in my block is selling me his car on accounta the fact that his successor was bein' wishy-washy about whether he wanted it or not. He's selling it for a pretty good price (and giving me a deal), and it's a nice car. When his successor arrives, he's gonna find himself in Butt-F*ck, Inaka with no car and no train line. Good luck, buddy!

Jojo
July 12th, 2011, 22:30
so whatchya get huh?

MCAS
July 12th, 2011, 22:44
Heyaa

What's the motor and the undercarriage look like though?

spectral
July 19th, 2011, 17:27
My pred has offered to give me his car for free. It also happens to be about 10 years old (or so), a giant boat of a van of unknown make and model, manual transmission. He said shaken still has just over a year left on it, and insurance is 39,000/year.

For free, it sounds alright, as long as it runs fine. Mostly, I want to know, worst case, if I need to get rid of it because it dies on me or something or I never end up needing it, how hard/expensive will it be to get rid of?

UPGRAYEDD
July 19th, 2011, 19:43
Car disposal is maybe 15,000 yen max.

UPGRAYEDD
July 19th, 2011, 19:45
That's what I'm paying in two weeks to scrap my car. 15 year old white plate.

It's just a hassle on the paperwork really. You will need a Japanese person to guide you through the process.

Kuro2Flo
July 20th, 2011, 09:00
Make sure you're cleared for manual transmission on your IDP! Wouldn't want to get out here and not be able to drive it.

Wait how do you check that?

jamesp
July 26th, 2011, 22:50
Wait how do you check that?

Is this for real?