PDA

View Full Version : Applying for 2012.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

elizabath
July 6th, 2011, 14:22
Hey everyone,

So I know I'm probably a bit early but kinda wanna try to be organised, esp as getting everything sorted for Jet is so bloody time consuming. Just wanting a bit of advice thou... for the personal statement part of the application, does that ever change from year to year? As in, if I start to plan it now, they won't bring out a new format or such in Sept time? It's just I'm gunna be travelling around that time and would rather get it sorted now so it's ready to be sent in (I'm aware my application form need to be the most recent one)

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Cytrix
July 6th, 2011, 14:39
It hasn't changed for the last few years, I'm pretty sure, so if you want to get drafting now don't worry about the format etc. changing!

greengoo
July 6th, 2011, 14:43
Things to focus your attention on:

1. The SOP
2. Your recommendation letters
3. ...
4. Everything else

lilyanphino
July 6th, 2011, 14:49
It is great that you are so on top of things. I would go ahead and start on you SOP if you want something to work on first. Everything else can be done closer to the deadline.

elizabath
July 6th, 2011, 15:22
Super thanks!

JET-setter
July 8th, 2011, 05:55
I made the mistake of waiting to write the SOP until the application came out last year. I thought the application would give more details about what to write, but that wasn't the case. Needless to say I didn't get in. So I've already started writing mine for this year to make absolutely sure that I have lots of time to work on it.

Strange_quark
July 8th, 2011, 06:02
Whilst I would agree that the SoP is CRUCIAL, don't over think it. Relate it to the "mission statement" of JET, but be honest and interesting. If it sounds like every other application no one will notice you.

Good luck!

mothy
July 8th, 2011, 10:27
I wrote my sop in one night. You guys really overthink this.

Ini
July 8th, 2011, 13:45
I started my application a week before the deadline, and most of that was waiting for transcripts and references. The SOP and the application form shouldn't take longer than a morning to fill out

Gezora
July 8th, 2011, 18:23
You might want to take a little more time than that but I'm always surprised by how many people show up here and ask everyone and their brother to look at their SOP for months on end. I did the whole app process blind and got an interview no problem. Believe in yourself!

greengoo
July 8th, 2011, 23:50
I don't think you need to have everyone and your neighbor vet your SOP, but I do think that aside from not being a total FK, it's probably the most looked-at part of your application.

I mean, it won't save you if you went to Uncle Ned's Drive-through College and Distillery, but it's important.

lilyanphino
July 9th, 2011, 01:13
You might want to take a little more time than that but I'm always surprised by how many people show up here and ask everyone and their brother to look at their SOP for months on end. I did the whole app process blind and got an interview no problem. Believe in yourself!

This is a very good point. I wrote my SOP and did everything without looking at any forums and was accepted. Just be yourself and if it's meant to be, then it'll happen.

Tyr
July 9th, 2011, 03:35
My app I started...in November. Wasn't sure I was actually going to apply until November, had been really wanting to earlier in the year (and was kicking myself I'd missed that year's app period) but the interest had waned by the end of the year and I was generally really unsure.
Decided to take the plunge though and..yeah. Had plenty of time. The only thing it would have been good to have gotten totally confirmed earlier is references.

Yep. It's why I always refuse to give out SoP help. If you're too stupid to write an SoP on your own that doesn't get you rejected you shouldn't come. I may be being mean to you, but I'm being kind to the teachers and students that would have had to deal with you. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

...or the one...
How do you know they're too stupid to write an SOP on their own?
They might have done something rubbish, but then they might have done something great and just want someone to check it over- always a wise thing to do.

Froren
July 9th, 2011, 06:45
everyone should have any formal document proofread, it's asinine to think otherwise.

Cytrix
July 9th, 2011, 07:02
I agree with Froren. Even though I'm a trained journalist and an English teacher, I knew I needed someone to give my SOP a look over. Even though my SOP was good to start with, it was very nice to receive someone else's point of view, and it helped me fix up any small mistakes that I had neglected to notice.

Strange_quark
July 9th, 2011, 07:59
Depends how good you are at checking your own writing. I wrote mine the morning I sent my application off and just checked it myself. Confidence in your ability can be more help than conflicting views from people who don't know what you're trying to say. However, I would rec someone checking your spelling and grammar at the very least as it's easy to miss when you read back.

JET-setter
July 9th, 2011, 17:35
Elizabath, if you want I can send you my SOP from last year so that you can see what DIDN'T work. The forums helped me realise what I had written was not what JET was looking for. It's a competitive programme and your SOP very rightly has to stand out. The fact that I didn't get an interview does not mean I am stupid or not qualified. It just means my SOP needed to be better. Some people were able to get into the programme without putting in much effort or time and congratulations to them, but that doesn't mean you lose out from doing as much as you can towards writing a great SOP.

uthinkimlost?
July 9th, 2011, 17:56
I'm gonna agree with everybody. ('cuz I'm that kinda tramp.)

If you can't write an SOP free of major grammatical errors and spelling issues on your own, you probably won't do well. Having other people look at it is probably a good idea, though. When you write things on your own and with your own POV, you occasionally miss portions that are open to misinterpretation.

jamesp
July 10th, 2011, 02:05
everyone should have any formal document proofread, it's asinine to think otherwise.

Having someone proofread your document is not the same as asking everyone online for advice. Just write it and have a couple family members look it over to make sure you didn't make any stupid mistakes.

Froren
July 11th, 2011, 02:16
Having someone proofread your document is not the same as asking everyone online for advice. Just write it and have a couple family members look it over to make sure you didn't make any stupid mistakes.

Nor did I confuse the two with my statement.

MCAS
July 11th, 2011, 06:52
I would say, if you want anyone to look over your SoP, don't come to people on the forums for help. Rather, ask somebody you know who writes for a living look your SoP over. Just because what you wrote makes sense to you doesn't mean that it's going to make since to somebody else. At the same time though, DON'T let other people change the tone or sound of your SoP. It's how they will judge you for the first phase of the screening process and you want your SoP to sound like you and not like a sterile form letter. Also, proofread, proofread, proofread; you're applying to be an English Teacher, sound like one.

JET-setter
July 12th, 2011, 06:16
I'm applying again this year but I will be visiting my family in the US during Christmas and won't be back in Britain until the 10th of Jan. JET says to tell them about any days of unavailability during Jan and Feb, but do you think they would have a problem with my reason for being unavailable? Did anyone even have interviews that early on in the year?

Tyr
July 12th, 2011, 22:17
Interviews weren't until th end of January/beginning of February this year, I've heard nought about them even starting that early, certainly they won't be over during the first week of January,

MCAS
July 14th, 2011, 01:33
Interviews weren't until th end of January/beginning of February this year, I've heard nought about them even starting that early, certainly they won't be over during the first week of January,

Indeed. JET moves with the speed of any other government organization. I remember this year we didn't even know if we had an interview or not until the very beginning of February (at least in the US that was).

armchairpatriot
July 17th, 2011, 02:58
Might as well have another go at this. I wasn't going to bother but my friend talking about London orientation got me thinking.

Then again there's a lot of fiddly paperwork to do and I love my current job...

Edit: lolwut, you donate once and can access the VIP forum forever? That's no way to convince people to keep on paying for their "private" bitchfest fix!

peanut
July 18th, 2011, 14:27
I'll also be applying for 2012... although that's not to say I'm going to spend the next four months writing my SOP. I'm a giant procrastitute so if I start thinking about it now I'll probably get around to it in a month or three. That, and the wait is going to be killer enough as it is. I'm not about to add another third of a year actively waiting on top of what's to come. :/

peanut
July 19th, 2011, 11:54
Out of curiosity, which consulates are people applying through? (For the 2012 applicants.)

Or is this edging too close to irl info?

word
July 19th, 2011, 12:10
I like helping people that I like, because if they're cool online before they apply, then they'll probably be cool online after they get here, too, and will keep me entertained.

Also, I encourage people to share their SoPs 'cause sometimes it's LOL. I would love to see what BRG's SoP looked like...

peanut
July 19th, 2011, 12:47
Also, I encourage people to share their SoPs 'cause sometimes it's LOL.

Word- instiller of confidence. :p

Although I'm sure there's probably enough SoP gold to make some sort of weeaboo award... or at least a 'best of' compendium. Not that anyone would stand up and proudly accept their shiny gold Weeaboo statuette... (unless it was super kawaii of course.... peoples have standards, after all.)

But seriously, there's so much ridiculously useful info in these forums. Massive thanks to all the experienced people willing to sit down and share their brains.

I don't know what it looked like, but I have it on good authority it smelled of Aqua Velva.

Mmmmmm... nothing says success like Aqua Velva.

And seriously uthink. You're like a ninja. It's like your posts materialize out of the ether or something.

word
July 19th, 2011, 13:17
Word- instiller of confidence. :pIn all honesty, it's been pretty rare that I've ever had to say "That was just awful/LOL; start over from the beginning" (although it has happened on occasion). Mostly I just nitpick over little things.

peanut
July 19th, 2011, 13:35
In all honesty, it's been pretty rare that I've ever had to say "That was just awful/LOL; start over from the beginning" (although it has happened on occasion). Mostly I just nitpick over little things.

Even if you WERE only in it for the lols, the fact that you're even willing to read and help people out makes you pretty awesome.

uthinkimlost?
July 19th, 2011, 13:40
Even if you WERE only in it for the lols, the fact that you're even willing to read and help people out makes you pretty awesome.

Hang out and be cool, do not hang out and kiss ass.

peanut
July 19th, 2011, 13:49
Hang out and be cool, not hang out and kiss ass.

I don't think appreciating people making an effort to do something that by all rights they don't have to do is ass-kissing. I couldn't care less what some asshole out in cyberland thinks of me, and since I'm probably not going to post my SoP when I get around to writing it, I'm not being nice for the virtual brownie points. I just felt bad if I gave the impression that I thought Word was an asshole for getting some SoP laughs in. In order to appease my over-active guilt complex I figured I should probably show I do think it's a nice thing to do.

Then again, I'm probably a bit too liberal with my awesome-usage. I think finding a dime on the sidewalk is awesome. I'm easy to please I guess.

Silhouette
July 19th, 2011, 19:49
I'll also be applying for 2012... although that's not to say I'm going to spend the next four months writing my SOP. I'm a giant procrastitute so if I start thinking about it now I'll probably get around to it in a month or three. That, and the wait is going to be killer enough as it is. I'm not about to add another third of a year actively waiting on top of what's to come. :/

Exactly. I've been looking over at the official forum and people there seem so psyched to get everything ready to hand in on the day applications open. I don't get it.

atheistwithfaith
July 19th, 2011, 22:03
I sent my application off 3 days before the deadline. People REALLY shouldn't be worrying about it yet - it makes no difference if you hand it in on day 1 or an hour before the application window closes.

Teishou
July 19th, 2011, 23:34
I can't wait to do my SoP and get some criticism on it. I suck at selling myself without actually...selling myself in papers. :/

melty
July 20th, 2011, 01:29
I sent my application off 3 days before the deadline. People REALLY shouldn't be worrying about it yet - it makes no difference if you hand it in on day 1 or an hour before the application window closes.

I have to disagree with this. The majority of people hand in their apps at the last second. (I did too :redface: )

If you can get your application in early, they have more of a chance to go through them and look at them carefully. It shouldn't make a difference how speedily you get it in, but with all job applications, it can help to be near the top of the pile.

One of my friends helped read through/mark applications in London...when she gave advice to possible applicants, she always mentioned getting it in early if you can.

HOWEVER I remember 2 years ago the folks at the Embassy being really shocked that a couple people had submitted applications within an hour of the application forms coming online. The application had gone up quite late at night, so these people must have been sitting up waiting for it. They were a little wary that some people want JET that much!!

atheistwithfaith
July 20th, 2011, 01:37
I have to disagree with this. The majority of people hand in their apps at the last second. (I did too :redface: )

I will defer to you as you are much better informed about the process!

I would still say though, that I would put the application process to the back of your mind until late-August/September at least. There are so many periods of waiting once that application goes online around October that I wouldn't extend it all the way back to July!

peanut
July 20th, 2011, 01:49
I can't wait to do my SoP and get some criticism on it. I suck at selling myself without actually...selling myself in papers. :/

That's ok! I'm just a really laid back person, and don't freak out about much (besides my senior show... that was hell). It's OK if you want/need the support of others. The important thing is just not to get yourself worked up.

Have you read through this thread and others like it? Don't psyche yourself out. I'm sure you've (hopefully) written a professional paper before (like a cover letter). Sit down and read the JET mission statement. Then read what they actually WANT in your SoP. Make a list of things in your background (teaching experiences, cross-cultural experiences, etc) that support both that mission statement and what they asked of you. Get rid of things that are unnecessary then organize it and write it up. A lot of people have said to keep it simple too, as English won't be the first language of many of the people that read it... so you don't have to use ten dollar words and complex sentence structure. Just be you.

And breathe. You don't want to sound like a spaz just because you were freaking out when you wrote it. :D

This.

I almost did the same thing before deciding I wanted a little more time with my family between graduating and leaving the country. I already hadn't seen them for the last three years of college. I know my profs wouldn't have minded writing the LoR at the last minute, but now I'm glad I'll be able to give them ample warning. I'm just glad I'm thinking of it now so I can fill some holes before then... *cough* volunteering *cough*

Teishou
July 20th, 2011, 07:24
Nah, I'm not spazzing out, just simply excited. No, I've never written any "professional" papers before. I don't think the MEXT Scholarship application thingie is considered professional, or is it? That was in Japanese though. :/

peanut
July 20th, 2011, 08:01
I don't think you're spazzing out either. But if you let yourself stress about it for the next several months spazzing can happen. (ie enjoy the ride and be careful not to let that happen.) I only said anything because you seem so concerned so early.

You probably had to write a SoP for your college app though. Different goal, same idea. You'll be fine. :-)

Teishou
July 21st, 2011, 03:07
Are they considered professional? I mean it's graduate school. Isn't professional more job-related, or...you know, profession related?

College application? No, didn't have to write any essays whatsoever.

uthinkimlost?
July 21st, 2011, 03:19
Are they considered professional? I mean it's graduate school. Isn't professional more job-related, or...you know, profession related?

College application? No, didn't have to write any essays whatsoever.

If you are going to graduate school everything you do is job-related. Additionally, professional writing involves structuring your paper, choosing an appropriate argument and providing information that supports your thesis. (In this case, "I'm right for JET and X and Y are the reason.) All professional texts follow the same basic format.

Teishou
July 21st, 2011, 14:17
Ah. Then I guess I have done it before. Thank you for the explanation. :/

Milanna
July 24th, 2011, 16:58
Don't let the SoP scare you too much. I made a typo in my closing paragraph and I was still accepted. (Not that I'm advocating for typos here but...).

I'd be more concerned about the reference letters. One of my references did the letter completely wrong. The other misunderstood the deadline despite being reminded at least three times over the course of eight weeks. I had write my own reference 11pm the night before applications were due and ask another prof if he would sign it. Fun!

usernamefail
July 24th, 2011, 18:13
Getting a head start can be good but I threw my application together really late. It literally made it there around noon the day of the deadline...I had to use 2-day mail (Hawaii can't do overnight/one-day).

Idk, I finished my SoP the same morning I was going to send the application off, had a friend read over it once and I reworded a few things then printed it and walked down to FedEx. So, basically, freaking out for months and months beforehand over it might not be necessary. Don't sweat it too much is what I'm trying to say, I guess.

DreamofDaisy
August 1st, 2011, 13:24
Oh my goodness. I am very thankful for this thread.
(I am a lurker due to not knowing how to integrate myself into this forum.)

But since I'm going to be a senior in college this coming semester I need to get on top of things months ahead of time.

So SoP and references, ago! I have been saving up my summer's paychecks for the money needed once you fly over (you need about $2300, right?).

peanut
August 1st, 2011, 13:41
Welcome Daisy!

(I am a lurker due to not knowing how to integrate myself into this forum.)

I'm pretty awkward about stuff like that myself, but if you just lurk you'll never get involved. Just start reading threads. AG is pretty entertaining when you're bored.

So SoP and references, ago! I have been saving up my summer's paychecks for the money needed once you fly over (you need about $2300, right?).

If it makes you feel any better, you're way ahead of me. I have to get out of negative monies before I can save monies... and to do that I need a job. But yeah... I'm sure we're all going to hear a lot from each other in the next few months as we start getting our apps together. So good luck, hi, and don't be afraid!

Takoyaki
August 1st, 2011, 22:57
i decided to start my application today, put off the application last year so long i never ended up applying so thought id get in early this year, emailed one of my teachers asking for a reference, nervous he might say no >_<

FamilyMart
August 2nd, 2011, 15:04
i decided to start my application today, put off the application last year so long i never ended up applying so thought id get in early this year, emailed one of my teachers asking for a reference, nervous he might say no >_<

errr... you just started your JET app? today? :o

Takoyaki
August 2nd, 2011, 15:08
errr... you just started your JET app? today? :o

Well of corse the new application forms arnt out, but I started researching places I would like to go and began working on my statement of purpose..... Should I have began earlier

FamilyMart
August 2nd, 2011, 15:10
Well of corse the new application forms arnt out, but I started researching places I would like to go and began working on my statement of purpose..... Should I have began earlier

you're kidding, right?

Takoyaki
August 2nd, 2011, 15:12
you're kidding, right?

I'm confused, am I doing it wrong =p

Antonath
August 2nd, 2011, 15:25
Most people don't start until the forms are available, so you're a couple of months ahead of the curve. Though getting references early is recommended, so you don't have to hassle people at the last moment if one of your first choices declines.

Takoyaki
August 2nd, 2011, 15:52
Most people don't start until the forms are available, so you're a couple of months ahead of the curve. Though getting references early is recommended, so you don't have to hassle people at the last moment if one of your first choices declines.

See this is wha though, since I will be backpacking through southeast Asia for most of oct/nov I figured it would be a good idea to get a head star =)

Antonath
August 2nd, 2011, 16:09
See this is wha though, since I will be backpacking through southeast Asia for most of oct/nov I figured it would be a good idea to get a head star =)
Err... Don't the forms come out in early October (depending on country), with a deadline of late November?

Takoyaki
August 2nd, 2011, 16:39
Err... Don't the forms come out in early October (depending on country), with a deadline of late November?

i believe this is correct, hence why id like to get my references and essay in order before they do so its simply a matter of just filling out the forms soon as there available, from what iv seen the statement of purpose is usually the same every year ^_^

Antonath
August 2nd, 2011, 17:07
Well, that's fate sufficiently tempted ;)

Takoyaki
August 2nd, 2011, 17:53
Well, that's fate sufficiently tempted ;)

this is true, god know what state the program will be in after all the tragedy of the last few month, that said id go even if they sent me to near sendai

PeachesnMomos
August 3rd, 2011, 01:03
You guys are freaking me out. I haven't done shit but lurk here and post on AG!

peanut
August 3rd, 2011, 02:19
I'm getting freaked out too. :/

I just moved across the country a couple months ago so all of my references are far away. Maybe I should at least call them with a head's up... damn you super eager people for making me doubt my laziness. :012:

Teishou
August 3rd, 2011, 03:43
You guys are making me glad I'm NOT doing anything.

Stress is highly overrated.

peanut
August 3rd, 2011, 05:49
lol You were doing your own stressing not too long ago if I recall.

And I'm not really stressed, just second guessing my decision to not talk to my references until after the app comes out. I'm friends with the professors I'm planning on asking though, so maybe I will just give them a call now so they know it's coming.

JET-setter
August 3rd, 2011, 05:58
It's never too early to ask for references. No matter how well they know you, it's going to be a drag for them to write. Help them out by outlining what you'd like them to say ( this is easier with employer references than for academic references in my opinion). And give them a deadline much earlier than the actual deadline. If you give them too much time to do it, then they will procrastinate and likely forget about it.

peanut
August 3rd, 2011, 08:26
I just didn't want to ask before I had the form they'll have to fill out. I suppose if I send them last year's and let them know they'll have to fill out something pretty much identical to that, it should be ok.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/2011JETReferenceForm.pdf

Takoyaki
August 3rd, 2011, 09:04
I just didn't want to ask before I had the form they'll have to fill out. I suppose if I send them last year's and let them know they'll have to fill out something pretty much identical to that, it should be ok.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/2011JETReferenceForm.pdf

Yea that's the one I sent, I just told both that in all likelihood that will be what the form will look like but just that I won't require it off them until after I receive the official forms

SleazySauce
August 3rd, 2011, 11:27
I'd agree it's a good idea to give a heads up to people writing the references. I would not stress much about the application just start on it as soon as the forms are released to give yourself ample time to complete it. I did it all in about a week and that was during parent teacher conferences at my school and it was awful. It cannot hurt to work on your SOP ahead of time. Just be honest and straight forward and make it clear why you stand out from other applicants and why JET should take you. It is not a philosophy paper and you don't know who will be reading it so keep it simple and clear.

PeachesnMomos
August 3rd, 2011, 12:23
My question is do I still need an FBI check if I've never done anything but get traffic tickets?

Antonath
August 3rd, 2011, 12:34
Yes, to prove you've had nothing but traffic tickets.

PeachesnMomos
August 3rd, 2011, 12:37
Should I be requesting that now so that I dont have to wait forever to get it?

SleazySauce
August 3rd, 2011, 12:39
Yes, you will need a background check. The point of it is to find out if you have ever been charged with a felony or a frowned upon misdemeanor. Most people with a record are not going to mention on their application or at the interview that they're a convicted felon. I had mine done as soon as I was accepted into the program because it takes forever to get back. I would say get one done early if you're convinced you will get in, but I have heard stories of people getting it done earlier in the year for a different job and having to get another more recent one for JET. I'd say if you get to the interview stage and are feeling confident apply then because the FBI takes its time to respond and plus every other JET who gets accepted will send it in at about the same time.

PeachesnMomos
August 3rd, 2011, 12:43
OOH OKAY, I was under the impression that you had to send one in with the application.

SleazySauce
August 3rd, 2011, 12:46
I think some people did apply for it when the application came out, but I know I did not send one in. All I had to do was check off and sign some paper saying that I had not been convicted of any real crimes. It is nothing to worry about since it is really out of your control. All you do is send in the request when they tell you to and wait to get it back. You will not be penalized for the FBI being lazy.

Antonath
August 3rd, 2011, 13:03
I'll add that if those traffic tickets include DUI, your chances of getting on drop massively. Speeding, parking, should be ok.

PeachesnMomos
August 3rd, 2011, 13:08
I'll add that if those traffic tickets include DUI, your chances of getting on drop massively. Speeding, parking, should be ok.

Just speeding. :)

SleazySauce
August 3rd, 2011, 13:10
You will be fine. Yeah I'd totally agree. You can plan on having your app thrown out if you have a DUI or any sort of drug charges.

MCAS
August 6th, 2011, 07:25
Should I be requesting that now so that I dont have to wait forever to get it?

No, wait till you find out whether or not you you have gotten an interview because if I remember correctly, the FBI check has to have been done within six months of your departure date. I remember I applied for mine in early March and I received it by Mid-April.

On an unrelated note: It's very amusing to look at all the noobs freaking out about the application process, it seems like a lifetime ago to me. Good luck to you all, unless you're a FK.

atheistwithfaith
August 14th, 2011, 01:06
I remember this time last year starting to think about what I was gonna do with my life after university and how to improve my chances of getting into JET. Aaaah what difference a year makes.

VonD
August 14th, 2011, 06:43
Hey everyone, so last year i didnt even make it to interview, which is probably a good thing as two weeks after i got my rejection letter i was knocked off my motorbike ... again ... and did myself some damage, all good now though, not that im sure anyone cares, lol.

my questions is this, because of the above said incident, which as well as damaging my person also included damaging my laptop and loosing all of my uni work, i only got a third. Is it worth even trying to apply with a third or should i save a few trees and just forget about it ?

Input welcome :)

Cytrix
August 14th, 2011, 12:48
...A third what?

VonD
August 14th, 2011, 17:09
A Third Class Honours Degree. . . . lowest possible grade . . .

JET-setter
August 14th, 2011, 17:28
Hey Von D, good to see you again. Sucks about your accident. Glad you're all better now though. I think it's worth reapplying this year despite your grades if you think you can get good references.

Cytrix
August 14th, 2011, 19:22
My grades were shit but I still got in. You're basically showing your academic records to prove that yes you do have a degree, so you can get the visa.

greengoo
August 14th, 2011, 20:15
My GPA, though "good", was never once brought up as a bad or good point.

VonD
August 15th, 2011, 04:12
Ill go for it then, thanks for the Input all, much appreciated.

i think i need to focus on my Personal statement, cause I dont think it was up to standard last year, i think im going to do my TEFL online as well, its not that expensive and i need something to do whilst working in my amazing post university job > Security guard *sigh*.

:)

JET-setter
August 15th, 2011, 06:53
As someone who doesn't have teaching experience, would it be wise to do a TEFL course?

greengoo
August 15th, 2011, 14:20
<---- No teaching xp, no TEFL. Can't hurt though.

melty
August 15th, 2011, 20:15
Ill go for it then, thanks for the Input all, much appreciated.

i think i need to focus on my Personal statement, cause I dont think it was up to standard last year, i think im going to do my TEFL online as well, its not that expensive and i need something to do whilst working in my amazing post university job > Security guard *sigh*.

:)

I don't know how often you check this site...but if you want to do TEFL, there is a group on deal today: 82% off TEFL 120 Advanced Certificate Course (http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/london/tefl-express/671024)

It's always good to save £300... Xx

VonD
August 16th, 2011, 00:16
Yea my thoughts were that it couldnt hurt.

Melty your now my hero :) , many many thanks !

JET-setter
August 16th, 2011, 04:25
Thanks Melty. Bought it!

Also, another question. Does JET prefer an applicant who can drive or does it not make any difference to them? Do most JETs end up driving? I'm applying from the UK but I don't drive here. However I do have an American driving license (licence if you're British). Basically I don't want to drive in Japan, but if they want me to drive then I'm thinking I should say on my application that I can.

greengoo
August 16th, 2011, 06:10
I don't recall them ever asking, but my school situation (6+ of them) absolutely requires driving, and the city actually has cars they lend me for work. I would plan on it being a possible requirement, though def possible you won't have to. A girl in my city literally lives next-door to her only school.

VonD
August 16th, 2011, 06:13
Setter if your that worried put down that your an exceptionally keen, all terrain cyclist when mentioning hobbies lol :)

I wonder what this TEFL's gonna be like, are you gonna start yours straight away ?

VonD
August 16th, 2011, 07:54
Imagine turning up for work doing crazy stuff like this ! Urban Cycling - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU8yAhbjnxs)

this could be you Setter ! :)

melty
August 16th, 2011, 19:30
Thanks Melty. Bought it!

Also, another question. Does JET prefer an applicant who can drive or does it not make any difference to them? Do most JETs end up driving? I'm applying from the UK but I don't drive here. However I do have an American driving license (licence if you're British). Basically I don't want to drive in Japan, but if they want me to drive then I'm thinking I should say on my application that I can.

To be honest I don't think this makes much difference for the main part of your application. There are plenty of JET placements that do not require driving. However it might* make a difference when CLAIR decides where to place you.

Concentrate on the main part of your application to make yourself seem like an outgoing, well adjusted, flexible applicant...and the small details can take care of themselves :)

* I say might because I knew a girl that couldn't drive who was placed in the middle of the mountains at a placement that really needed a JET that could drive!!

wicket
August 16th, 2011, 19:52
In the mid-90s I said I wasn't intending to drive in Japan so they put me in rural Toyama-ken. I got around okay on public transport and my bike but a car would've been useful. In the mid-noughties I said I'd be happy to drive so they placed me in urban Osaka-fu a 2-minute walk from a major train line. In short, if you want to drive, say so. If you don't want to drive, say so. Agree with Melty [hello gorgeous long time no see and hurry up and come to Oz!] that just being as flexible as possible will help. If you have your heart set on a certain kind of placement the one you ultimately get will have no hope of living up to your expectations.
Also, any applicants for 2012 from QLD? If you fancy a meetup or phone chat, PM me and I'd be happy to help with Personal Statements etc.

Page
August 17th, 2011, 10:11
I think the first time I applied and got in I had like a 2.7 GPA. You should be OK as long as you have other things to pull you up.

Takoyaki
August 17th, 2011, 12:08
do you think it would be a good idea to include anything about what japan has been through in the past 4-5 months?

JET-setter
August 17th, 2011, 16:31
Don't tell me VonD that your injuries were caused by doing stunts like that on your motorbike...

I've completed unit 1 section 1 on the TEFL course. It's nothing brilliant, but I can see that I will learn something from doing it. I would have been disappointed by paying over £300 for it, but for £65 you can't go wrong. Did you buy it too?

Takoyaki
August 17th, 2011, 18:29
Don't force anything. If you were in some way affected or moved, talk about it. But if you're just trying to shoehorn it in there, you'll sound like a disingenuous suck-up.

mmmm yea i just wouldn't want to come across as insensitive for not mentioning it or saying it wrong and being offensive

VonD
August 17th, 2011, 21:54
Don't tell me VonD that your injuries were caused by doing stunts like that on your motorbike...

I've completed unit 1 section 1 on the TEFL course. It's nothing brilliant, but I can see that I will learn something from doing it. I would have been disappointed by paying over £300 for it, but for £65 you can't go wrong. Did you buy it too?

Yea i got it too, im starting mine tomorrow, which 2 of the 3 extra units did you take ? im doing the survival teaching and young learner ones.

and i wish ive only ever crashed a motorbike once doing a stunt, (im actually not that bad can do the basics, wheelies, stoppies, burn outs, rolling burn outs, standing up no hands. . .) Unfortunately whilst performing a wheelie for a girl i was trying to impress when 18, i failed to notice the large metal bin in the car park which i promptly wheelied into :cool: lol, she might not have been impressed but she was certainly sympathetic ;)

JET-setter
August 18th, 2011, 00:36
Hmmm, maybe stick to the music next time.

I was intending to do the same options as yours, as they seem the most relevant to JET but I just checked my course details and it says I selected professional and young learners. So now I have to contact them and say I actually meant to select survival. Yet another hassle...

VonD
August 18th, 2011, 08:05
Hmmm, maybe stick to the music next time.

I was intending to do the same options as yours, as they seem the most relevant to JET but I just checked my course details and it says I selected professional and young learners. So now I have to contact them and say I actually meant to select survival. Yet another hassle...

Yea maybe I should, i dont think ive ever seriously hurt myself playing a gig before, now that ive said that ill probably electrocute myself at my next gig lol.

Hassel = Sucks :(

Fingers crossed they are actually helpful !

VonD
August 18th, 2011, 18:55
Setter i just registered and definitely clicked survival and on my list it says professional and young learners. . . .coincidence i think not ! *sigh*

JET-setter
August 19th, 2011, 05:46
Def not coincidence. I was so sure I selected the correct ones. They better fix their error soon or they're going to get a lot of phone calls. I had called them initially and then they told me to e-mail them about my problem. Still have not heard back from them and problem is still not solved... I guess that's what you get for a £300 discount. Just to warn you though, there is actually quite a bit of course material to get through before application time.

VonD
August 19th, 2011, 05:50
Def not coincidence. I was so sure I selected the correct ones. They better fix their error soon or they're going to get a lot of phone calls. I had called them initially and then they told me to e-mail them about my problem. Still have not heard back from them and problem is still not solved... I guess that's what you get for a £300 discount. Just to warn you though, there is actually quite a bit of course material to get through before application time.

Yea i tried the Live Chat and they were like, email this address with your problem and i did, no response, not happy, but like you say, it was £300 less, there might even be something in the terms and conditions that you cant do that one but i cant be bothered to read them.

Yea I didnt realise there would be that much ! Although i cracked on with it abit today and did EVERYTHING in Core 1, luckily for me as of next Friday ive got 12 hour night shifts to get through and im allowed to do what I want as long as I get the little bit of paper work I have done and complete my 10min security patrol every hour. On that basis im hoping to be done by the End of September. :)

Takoyaki
August 19th, 2011, 16:22
whilst i was studying to get my bachelors i pretty much worked 7 days a week for 3 years as well as going to uni to save enough money for a deposit on a house
i ended up buying my first investment property and i had graduated by the age of 22 last year
would putting something like that into a SoP be appropriate to show im committed to a goal??

VonD
August 19th, 2011, 19:11
whilst i was studying to get my bachelors i pretty much worked 7 days a week for 3 years as well as going to uni to save enough money for a deposit on a house
i ended up buying my first investment property and i had graduated by the age of 22 last year
would putting something like that into a SoP be appropriate to show im committed to a goal??

It certainly shows your committed ! and some what of a workaholic Id gather, Im in no position to really give advice as I havent made it onto the programme, but IMO if you were to write that I'd consider making sure you include any social activities and such you participated in to show you have a good work/ social life balance, but as i say thats just IMO.

Also mentioning you own a property could raise worries that you would be under added stress either needing to make repayments or worrying about tenants if your letting.

As I say just my opinion, at the end of the day you decide whats best for your app not some random guy half way across the world :)

VonD
August 19th, 2011, 21:40
Setter I got an email back from TEFL Express today

Hi VonD,

Your specialist modules have been updated, you now have access to Young Learners and Survival Teaching modules.

Enjoy the course.

Regards
Julie

and they have cause i just checked so it looks like all is not lost, hope they get back to you soon !

JET-setter
August 20th, 2011, 05:11
That's good VonD. I still haven't heard anything. If nothing happens by end of Monday then I'm e-mailing them again. Julie is clearly more productive than Nic!

VonD
August 23rd, 2011, 05:16
So if your reapplying or even applying for the first time, what are people doing to improve their applications ? I know if your re applying its kind of hard to say where you failed cause JET doesn't give feedback . . . BUT logical guesses can be made.

On the UK Jet page, under Eligibility FAQs it has a list of things you might want to consider in order to strengthen your application, something along the lines of

- Gain teaching Experience
- Research Japan
- Study Japanese
- TEFL course, etc etc etc

Ive kinda thrown myself head on into it, 120 hour TEFL, Im hoping to take a beginners Japanese course at a local college as of mid September (10 week course with a certificate awarded at the end, not sure how good it will be but at least it gives structure to learning as opposed to trying to do it at home). I also start Kendo in September and should be just finishing my beginners classes when the JET app comes out.

I was also going to try and gain some teaching/classroom experience but as I'm already going to be doing all of the above, plus a weekly work placement at a Family Solicitors, plus actual work, seems like a bit much, haha.

Anyonw else want to share their plans of attack for JET ?

JET-setter
August 24th, 2011, 05:59
Umm, you're calling kitsune a workaholic?!

VonD
August 24th, 2011, 06:39
Umm, you're calling kitsune a workaholic?!

Well yea, working 7 days a week whilst doing a degree over 3 years is alot more then me deciding i want to do a few things for my JET app over the coming weeks, plus the work experience doesnt really involve much work, i probably do more doing the TEFL haha

CDLG
August 24th, 2011, 08:45
Recently, I've been wondering: Would JET tend to prefer someone who spoke a second language other than Japanese over someone who spoke Japanese as their second language? To me, the first option would seem to indicate someone with an aptitude for language learning, but without so much potential to be the kind of stereotypical, anime-obsessed applicant JET must inevitably attract a large number of.

Also, I'm surprised by the number of people who are talking about knocking out SOPs the night before and not getting someone to read them. I bet some of those who did would cringe if you were to read back through them now - I certainly do when I read through papers I wrote overnight at Uni which nevertheless received good grades. Who was it that said "the best writing is rewriting"?

atheistwithfaith
August 24th, 2011, 13:49
Recently, I've been wondering: Would JET tend to prefer someone who spoke a second language other than Japanese over someone who spoke Japanese as their second language? To me, the first option would seem to indicate someone with an aptitude for language learning, but without so much potential to be the kind of stereotypical, anime-obsessed applicant JET must inevitably attract a large number of.

Also, I'm surprised by the number of people who are talking about knocking out SOPs the night before and not getting someone to read them. I bet some of those who did would cringe if you were to read back through them now - I certainly do when I read through papers I wrote overnight at Uni which nevertheless received good grades. Who was it that said "the best writing is rewriting"?

I think either language option would be impressive but I can imagine they would appreciate having Japanese as a second language more than say German. They wont disqualify you for being interested in Japan - I think the reason people feel anime is a kiss of death is that often mega manga/anime nerds have an unrealistic view of what Japan is, and for some reason those genres do tend to attract a disproportionate number of people with poor social skills. I can imagine these character flaws would jump out in an application - but mentioning an interest in any Japan related things is a plus not a minus.

I mentioned that I first became interested in Japan watching anime as a child, but I also made it clear that wasn't where my interests in Japan began and ended. Also realise that many many people in Japan are interested in anime/manga even if just as a passing interest - I mean, the last Prime Minister was a massive fan of it and saw it as a tool for promoting Japan abroad.

burdener
August 24th, 2011, 14:24
I think I may apply again this year. Could anyone who said they got in with last minute sops please share them? Maybe you are all naturally good writers lol. But seriously i spent so many days/hours on my SOP last time...

Page
August 25th, 2011, 13:22
Obviously they're going to prefer people who speak Japanese than another language. It depends on your power of bullshit to use your second langauge to your strength (not that hard). I'd stay away from talking about blanket views of Japanese speakers around interview time because it just makes you look like a douchebag. Plus the ex-ALT there is likely to speak Japanese and if they're anything like most ALTs they're tired of hearing that kind of statement.

CDLG
August 26th, 2011, 07:19
Obviously they're going to prefer people who speak Japanese than another language. It depends on your power of bullshit to use your second langauge to your strength (not that hard). I'd stay away from talking about blanket views of Japanese speakers around interview time because it just makes you look like a douchebag. Plus the ex-ALT there is likely to speak Japanese and if they're anything like most ALTs they're tired of hearing that kind of statement.

The line of logic I was following was that they would be after people who had a demonstrable capacity for learning multiple languages, but that already speaking Japanese may indicate someone a little too intimately acquainted with the country to benefit from the 'cultural exchange' part of JET's mission statement. Anime obsessives just served as a convenient example of such a person. I don't necessarily think that all Japanese L2 speakers are otaku, and nor would I consider it a bad thing if they were.

melty
August 26th, 2011, 19:29
Obviously they're going to prefer people who speak Japanese than another language.

Meh. I'm not so sure about this!

I honestly don't think that having Japanese (or not) makes a huge difference if the rest of your application is not very impressive.

I know several JETs that were fluent in other languages (Spanish, French, Chinese, German...) but didn't speak any Japanese when they first got to Japan. I also know a few that didn't speak Japanese OR another language!

It's obviously easier for JETs that speak the lingo to settle in...but I get the feeling language ability is not the main thing Embassies/ consulates are looking for. It certainly won't hinder your application, but it might not be as big of a push up as you expect.

Unless of course you want to be a CIR, then as long as you have N2 or above, Japanese level doesn't matter too much.

zero
August 26th, 2011, 23:36
They obviously prefer people who speak Japanese.
I hear nothing but how glad my BOE is that I can speak Japanese and how jealous other BOEs are that their JETs can't / aren't trying to learn it.
Therefore - it would make sense to assume that more BOEs will be requesting people who can speak Japanese. Who cares if you can speak Spanish or whatever.
Almost everyone who arrived with me had "some" history of learning Japanese - or at least claimed to have some proficiency on their application.

melty
August 27th, 2011, 01:15
They obviously prefer people who speak Japanese.
I hear nothing but how glad my BOE is that I can speak Japanese and how jealous other BOEs are that their JETs can't / aren't trying to learn it.
Therefore - it would make sense to assume that more BOEs will be requesting people who can speak Japanese. Who cares if you can speak Spanish or whatever.
Almost everyone who arrived with me had "some" history of learning Japanese - or at least claimed to have some proficiency on their application.

But what BOEs request and what the Embassies/Consulates are looking for are not always the same thing! It may make sense to assume something...but that doesn't mean that is the way the JET programme works!!

I have met hundreds and hundreds of JETs (both at orientations in Tokyo and at pre-departure orientations) and I assure you there are lots of JETs that have absolutely no Japanese ability, lots of JETs with a teeny bit of Japanese, and some with really decent Japanese.

zero
August 27th, 2011, 01:24
Obviously there are hundreds without Japanese ability because they need to recruit a couple of thousand every year and Japanese isn't one of the most popular foreign languages to study - what I mean is that people with that skill are far more likely to be considered as candidates than another who has similar grades/interests/hobbies/cultural background but no language skills- the consulates are still providing a service for the prefectures and cities we get placed in so they're not going to completely ignore the general expectation that the JETs have at least some proficiency.

Silhouette
August 27th, 2011, 19:10
Candidate A - Speaks Japanese but doesn't have what it takes to adapt to living abroad.

Candidate B - Doesn't speak Japanese but is adaptable and will stay with the program for a year.

I can't see any possibility where A would be picked over B. Languages can be picked up easily, adaptability would (imo) be more sought after.

I understand that you're saying Japanese language skills are useful and could help your application, but there is a reason it isn't in the eligibility criteria.

zero
August 27th, 2011, 19:14
Candidate A - Speaks Japanese but doesn't have what it takes to adapt to living abroad.

Candidate B - Doesn't speak Japanese but is adaptable and will stay with the program for a year.

I can't see any possibility where A would be picked over B. Languages can be picked up easily, adaptability would (imo) be more sought after.

I understand that you're saying Japanese language skills are useful and could help your application, but there is a reason it isn't in the eligibility criteria.

The reason is that there aren't enough competent speakers to make it a requirement.

Japanese ability is much easier to assess in an interview than "having what it takes to live abroad" and knowing the language helps people settle faster and gives them "what it takes".
I don't know why people don't agree that knowing Japanese (or claiming to know it on your application because you took some classes in university and have overestimated their level) is a massive plus for their chances.

Sirrus
August 28th, 2011, 00:10
I take it then that having experience abroad, whether it be for college or business would have just as much or more weight on a JET application than a person with a competent ability in Japanese but no experience outside their own county? If that's what I'm understanding from above posts about showing what it takes to handle living abroad. There are obviously other factors involved as well.

Tyr
August 29th, 2011, 19:41
Outside their own county hell yeah :p
Outside their own country- probally. Though if you can show you moved to a big city on the other side of the country from your little village in Arkansas and managed to thrive despite being a complete fish out of water (or the like) then that's probally good enough for the US.

Japanese speaking is certainly a plus but...I dunno. They don't want Japan experts it seems, they'd rather have people who are somewhat fresh and can learn something new from the experience. Though there are of course a tonne of folks who have been to Japan before (folk who studied Japanese largely).

MCAS
August 29th, 2011, 19:56
Honesty, I think it's really a crap shoot when it comes to Japanese experience/experience outside one's home country. I know people on JET who have studied and lived in Japan and then there are people like me who got in knowing next to no Japanese and who have never been outside there home country. It's not really something you should worry about. Rather, you should concern yourself with how you come across in your SoP and what you write on your application packet.

Black Cat
August 29th, 2011, 23:12
MCAS, it's good to hear somebody got in without foreign travel experience. The whole of my "foreign travel" has been limited to Canada. Like across the lake. :redface:

Honestly, though, I've met people who had the money and resources to go abroad but not the mentality to live and work in a different country with a different culture.

Besides that, knowing a language gives you some cultural insight. You can't really learn Japanese without getting an education about politeness levels, respect for seniors, take off your shoes, etc. Especially if you took courses with a native speaker.

zero
August 30th, 2011, 00:43
Besides that, knowing a language gives you some cultural insight. You can't really learn Japanese without getting an education about politeness levels, respect for seniors, take off your shoes, etc. Especially if you took courses with a native speaker.

hahaha
be polite, as you would be in any country/language
respect seniors and equals and young'uns as much as they deserve
who the hell doesn't know about the shoes thing - do people really wear their shoes inside so much that this is a problem we have to "learn" about REALLY?!

I'm not saying that people without Japanese don't have a chance - I'm saying that if you are able to accurately claim a decent level of Japanese your chances of acceptance are astronomically higher than someone who hasn't a clue - as long as you're not a complete fuck knuckle...and sometimes even if you are.

JET-setter
August 30th, 2011, 01:10
I think one of my problems with last year's application is that I made myself out to be too familiar with Japan. I'm totally going to play that down this year. I'm not saying that's the only reason why I didn't get to the interview stage, but I definitely think it played a part.

dvae
August 30th, 2011, 09:19
Hi :)

I'm a little unsure about how liberal JET is on accepting people with strong regional accents. I'm from the north of the UK and have a pretty strong Yorkshire accent (flat vowels, 't' dropped in many words). I'd say my pronunciation is clear and understandable, but not textbook standard English.

Can anybody clarify if they're all right with this? It'd be reassuring to know whether or not it will affect my application.

@ VonD - I've also signed onto a 100 hour TEFL course. Mine is with a company called TEFL England, but is only online, with no actual classroom experience other than video tutorials and demonstrations. Still, it's been very insightful so far.
I already know a decent amount of Japanese as I took modules on it during my degree, but it could certainly do with some practice, especially my Kanji knowledge.

Antonath
August 30th, 2011, 10:03

I'm a little unsure about how liberal JET is on accepting people with strong regional accents. I'm from the north of the UK and have a pretty strong Yorkshire accent (flat vowels, 't' dropped in many words). I'd say my pronunciation is clear and understandable, but not textbook standard English.

Can anybody clarify if they're all right with this? It'd be reassuring to know whether or not it will affect my application.
I've met JETs with pretty strong accents who have got in. If they were after "(japanese school) textbook standard english" they'd only take really goofy speakers who might have come from america at some point.

I've met non-JET ALTs who are practically unintelligable.

VonD
August 30th, 2011, 12:29

@ VonD - I've also signed onto a 100 hour TEFL course. Mine is with a company called TEFL England, but is only online, with no actual classroom experience other than video tutorials and demonstrations. Still, it's been very insightful so far.
I already know a decent amount of Japanese as I took modules on it during my degree, but it could certainly do with some practice, especially my Kanji knowledge.

If you check the FAQ's on the UK website you'll see that people are accepted with strong regional accents and that having one will not affect your chances of being accepted.

The way i see it with TEFL although the online ones have no classroom experience they certainly prepare you for what to expect so your not going in blind, i personally feel alot more comfortable with the notion of being an ALT thanks to the info im gaining from my TEFL.

word
August 30th, 2011, 13:04
There's a guy from Northern Ireland in my prefecture; he's got a pretty strong accent, but he made it in just fine. It doesn't really matter once you get here; most of the time, you'll be lucky if a few of your kids can respond to "Hi, how are you?", even if you're speaking near-perfect North American Standard.

word
August 30th, 2011, 14:00
I've been told by a number of my JTEs that they can't tell the difference between English accents, anyway. More seasoned people may know some of the differences--I have heard off-hand of some ALTs being asked to speak in more "standard" ways--but on the whole, no one's even going to know what kind of accent you have.
word

seeing as how most Japanese speakers are baffled by the phonetic differences between words such as

rice/lice
feet/fit
thick/sick
bat/vat
ear/year

etc...

It's just not something you should worry about that much, imho...

MCAS
August 30th, 2011, 20:06
Yeah accents aren't a issue. Well at least not for getting into the program. In my Prefecture we have people from all over the place, some of whom have very strong regional accents. So I wouldn't worry about. However, if you do get in, make sure that you work on using proper pronunciation at work. My predecessor apparently had a strong accent and my JTEs have commented to me about it many times, so they will notice if you don't use proper English.

Silhouette
August 30th, 2011, 22:43

They'll be fine with it as long as you constantly wear a flat cap, so I've heard.:p

Tyr
August 31st, 2011, 16:43

I'm a Geordie and I'm on.
I met a Trinidadian (iirc) guy at orientation who was totally incomprehensible.
Surely also with going through uni and mixing with ignorant folks you can tone it down when it is called for?

VonD
September 2nd, 2011, 00:40
I'm sorting out my references this week, My previous tutor has just finished my academic reference, but I'm stuck between choosing my Employer reference, I cant ask my current employer because I've only just taken the job I'm doing and if he finds out I'm trying to leave already he'll blow a gasket.

I have to choose between my current work experience employer (I do one day a week and sometimes attend court) for a Family solicitors or a previous employer from when I worked as a Play leader for the summers of 08 and 09. Although it was 3 years ago I know she'd give me a solid reference, as would the solicitor.

I see positive and negative aspects for asking both, what do you guys think ?

Silhouette
September 2nd, 2011, 01:24
Could you not get 2 academic references?

ah I thought that you hinted that you had just graduated earleir in the thread but I was wrong, what did you do when you applied last time?

VonD
September 2nd, 2011, 01:35
I have just graduated, last year i used my tutors and the reference from the Play leader employer.

I wouldn't be able to obtain 2 academic references because none of the other lecturers actually know me, due to motorcycle accidents, operations and post traumatic stress I only actually attended uni for the first 8 weeks of my second year, and the first 10 of my third year, my tutors the only one who is actually in a position to give me a reference because i spent a lot of time meeting with just him to make sure i was doing ok etc.

Doodlebug
September 2nd, 2011, 20:27
Quick question, and to break my lurking streak, Is it a good idea to apply for JET straight out of university or give it a year or so before applying?

WaIdroon
September 2nd, 2011, 21:34
All of the things you guys are worrying about are meaningless. All JET cares about is trying to find people who won't touch the kids, fuck off home after an earthquake or cause massive headaches for the BOE.

It doesn't matter if you speak Japanese, have a tefol cert or lived abroad. If you write a good SOP you will probably get an interview . If you aren't socially retarded you'll go to Japan. And don't worry a decent number of social retards spit enough game to come.

but taking a crash jgo course isn't gonna do dick for your chances.

Just don't wear khakis to your interview like some college freshman.

dvae
September 2nd, 2011, 22:27
Thanks for the replies :) It's nice to know that my accent won't affect my chances.

I'm still waiting for my references to be finished. My ex-tutor and ex-boss both said they'd do one for me, but I think I'll drop them a reminder in the next week or so. Next step is planning what I'm going to say in my SOP.

MCAS
September 5th, 2011, 20:00
All of the things you guys are worrying about are meaningless. All JET cares about is trying to find people who won't touch the kids, fuck off home after an earthquake or cause massive headaches for the BOE.

It doesn't matter if you speak Japanese, have a tefol cert or lived abroad. If you write a good SOP you will probably get an interview . If you aren't socially retarded you'll go to Japan. And don't worry a decent number of social retards spit enough game to come.

but taking a crash jgo course isn't gonna do dick for your chances.

Just don't wear khakis to your interview like some college freshman.

Pretty much this. As long as you come off as a serious person in your SoP and interview, you'll have a decent chance of getting in.

lilyanphino
September 5th, 2011, 20:08
And please, PLEASE don't be the girl who walks in to the interview wearing goth style clothing and a Slytherin hoodie. (Saw her at interviews, but not at orientation - big surprise I know.)

word
September 5th, 2011, 23:19
I dunno, even then, your chances may not be all that bad. There was a dude at my interview who showed up in the most ridiculous thread-bare tan corduroy suit, carrying a man-purse with a Hello Kitty plush toy attached, and dragging along his fat Asian-American girlfriend (wearing torn-up jeans and an incredibly low-cut top). I was certain that I'd never see him again and was hopeful that lots of the other interviewees were just as stupid as him. Not only did he make it into the program, he was inexplicably asked to make a bad speech at the Consulate-General's house party before we left. Don't put too much faith in the JET screening techniques. There's no real logic behind it.

andsoyouknow
September 6th, 2011, 02:03
fudge on a stick, i can't believe it's almost time to apply for JET. i've waited for 4 years to try this sucker out, and damn. time. seriously? slow down...

time for me to polish my resume and figure out which people to bug for recommendations.

and those lovely SOP and other... crap... to write... fuuuun stuff right thuuurr.

uthinkimlost?
September 6th, 2011, 09:50
I'm a Geordie and I'm on.
I met a Trinidadian (iirc) guy at orientation who was totally incomprehensible.
Surely also with going through uni and mixing with ignorant folks you can tone it down when it is called for?

I agree, put in the effort to suppress the worse bits of your accent at the Interview. The Japanese person on the panel may not be patient enough to try and understand you.

Cytrix
September 6th, 2011, 11:49
We had a girl in total cosplay at the airport...I'm thinking she hid that at the interview and then cracked it out once it was definite she was going.

Please don't be that person

tairygreen
September 6th, 2011, 12:52
fudge on a stick, i can't believe it's almost time to apply for JET. i've waited for 4 years to try this sucker out, and damn. time. seriously? slow down...

time for me to polish my resume and figure out which people to bug for recommendations.

and those lovely SOP and other... crap... to write... fuuuun stuff right thuuurr.

Yeah man, I am on the six year plan, and it even snuck up on me.

WishfulDreamer
September 6th, 2011, 13:32
We had a girl in total cosplay at the airport...I'm thinking she hid that at the interview and then cracked it out once it was definite she was going.

That's really sad. Blechhh. I have this horrid image of her wearing one of those Naruto headbands while giving a lesson.

greengoo
September 9th, 2011, 14:42

I heard about her from my kiwi friend.

CDLG
September 10th, 2011, 06:19

I lol-ed at this. If I get on to JET, I definitely want there to be someone like that on my flight.

MixedNuts
September 11th, 2011, 07:12
There's a few like that every year.

atheistwithfaith
September 11th, 2011, 13:12
I wish I saw her, or someone took pictures. Anyone know what prefecture she went to?

uthinkimlost?
September 11th, 2011, 14:57
I wish I saw her, or someone took pictures. Anyone know what prefecture she went to?

It was greengoo in drag.

ashleytwo
September 11th, 2011, 18:55

As someone who got an interview but didn't go I feel somewhat insulted :p

VonD
October 1st, 2011, 00:47
UK Apps wont be out til mid to late October now, thats gonna be a pretty small window to apply !

sloth
October 1st, 2011, 00:55
UK Apps wont be out til mid to late October now, thats gonna be a pretty small window to apply !

US applications as well. US websites state that they will be extending the deadline accordingly.

mtreecorner
October 2nd, 2011, 02:22
US applications as well. US websites state that they will be extending the deadline accordingly.

I'm still getting everything ready as though the deadline will be about the same.

I can't imagine the deadline being extended too long. Who knows what accordingly means.

Saget
October 2nd, 2011, 03:29
I'd imagine it means it would be extended by the amount of time it was delayed.

mtreecorner
October 2nd, 2011, 03:40
I'd imagine it means it would be extended by the amount of time it was delayed.

Yeah. I know that. I'm just saying I will play it safe and leaving my self wiggle room.

Saget
October 2nd, 2011, 04:08
Ah, sorry didn't mean it like that.

I wish they would put up some of the forms, especially the reference letter part. I'd like to get that started as soon as possible, never know how long they will take.

mtreecorner
October 2nd, 2011, 04:13
Ah, sorry didn't mean it like that.

I wish they would put up some of the forms, especially the reference letter part. I'd like to get that started as soon as possible, never know how long they will take.

Yeah. They could at least put up the reference letter form. Oh well.

Froren
October 3rd, 2011, 11:36
The reference letter form never changes, so just access last years or the year before that and then send them to your reference writers over email (since they are just pdfs) but tell them you haven't received this years and will send that over asap. At least that way they can start writing the letters and know what JET wants them to include. So you'll get your letters early and will just have to do minor follow-up with the updated form. That's what I did and it worked well for me.

wicket
October 3rd, 2011, 13:27
I found out a week before it was due that I could re-apply to be a JET as long as I'd had a 10 year break from the first time. That was a busy week, and I was teaching full-time as well, but I managed to get it all done.
Sometimes I think that the longer the deadline, the more you just stress over it and the application doesn't end up being any better anyhow. More important to have your references and other documents [ID, photos etc.] ready.

kawaiijutsu
October 3rd, 2011, 15:48
Definitely go ahead and start asking for references...I know some professors take a while, and 1 of mine in particular wanted to put some research into JET to see what sort of things he should be talking about.
Just make sure to tell them not to seal the letters or anything yet and wait till you get them the 2012 form, and that the 2011 form is just a reference

Silhouette
October 4th, 2011, 04:18
Just sent last years form to my references with the aim of them getting it done soon. I didn't realise they had to write in such detail! Do people think it is a good idea to email them your personal statement so they know the score?

mtreecorner
October 4th, 2011, 04:25
Just sent last years form to my references with the aim of them getting it done soon. I didn't realise they had to write in such detail! Do people think it is a good idea to email them your personal statement so they know the score?

I asked my Japanese History professor and, since she has done these letters before, she asked for my draft SoP and my resume. I also shot her an email with more about me and why I really want this experience.

The more info the better. Just make sure they understand the buzz words and what the program is all about.

They say the letters are very important... I hope my professor and my other reference are good writers!

dvae
October 4th, 2011, 04:48

I showed one of my references my personal statement to give her an idea of what to write and she let me see what she'd written about me for the reference so I could okay it. Where did you find this last years form? Do you mean the bullet-points on the reference page of the website? The UK site says "The JET Programme does not provide reference forms" so I'm slightly confused right now. :confused:

I asked my references well in advance and I've already got my adademic one in a sealed envelope. She hadn't actually written too much, only around 200 words, but still covered all the points they asked about. Still, I'm now getting nervous about not being enough... Also as the UK site mentions nothing about referees having to put multiple copies of the reference into the envelope I'm assuming she's only included the 1. Is that going to be a big problem in my application?

Silhouette
October 4th, 2011, 05:48
I asked my Japanese History professor and, since she has done these letters before, she asked for my draft SoP and my resume. I also shot her an email with more about me and why I really want this experience.

The more info the better. Just make sure they understand the buzz words and what the program is all about.

Sounds good. I'll have to get my SoP draft in a better shape and mail it asap then!

I showed one of my references my personal statement to give her an idea of what to write and she let me see what she'd written about me for the reference so I could okay it. Where did you find this last years form? Do you mean the bullet-points on the reference page of the website? The UK site says "The JET Programme does not provide reference forms" so I'm slightly confused right now. :confused:

Yea that makes sense then, knowing my motivation would make it easier for them, hopefully they'll let me see what they wrote too! The form was on another post but I can't remember where. I'll try to attach it here. It isn't anything that can't be found elsewhere but always good for reference I suppose.

dvae
October 4th, 2011, 06:05
Sounds good. I'll have to get my SoP draft in a better shape and mail it asap then!

Yea that makes sense then, knowing my motivation would make it easier for them, hopefully they'll let me see what they wrote too! The form was on another post but I can't remember where. I'll try to attach it here. It isn't anything that can't be found elsewhere but always good for reference I suppose.

Thanks for the form. I've emailed my reference again apologising and basically saying that when they actually get around to making the 2012 form available she's going to have to re-do it.

You'd think that when they say on the UK website that references can take 2-3 months so you should plan in advance, they'd tell you all the details you need and provide the forms for people who do just that. Quite frustrated right now.

JET-setter
October 4th, 2011, 06:20
Are you sure this reference form isn't just for American applicants??? I don't recall seeing this last year.

dvae
October 4th, 2011, 06:25
Are you sure this reference form isn't just for American applicants??? I don't recall seeing this last year.

Here's hoping. The UK site does say they don't provide reference forms but I don't know how up to date it is. Maybe I'm just fretting over nothing and getting nervous as application is so close.

atheistwithfaith
October 4th, 2011, 19:06
There is no reference form for UK JETs, just follow the guidelines on the website. As long as it's on headed paper and signed by the referee you are OK.

Jintor
October 4th, 2011, 22:50
Bloody Australian applications haven't opened yet...

Takoyaki
October 4th, 2011, 23:03
Bloody Australian applications haven't opened yet...

i think im checking the web page way too much for the update =P

bonse
October 4th, 2011, 23:33
i think im checking the web page way too much for the update =P

Was checking the Irish website myself every day and then emailed the JET coordinator who put me on an email list for when the applications opened.

Got the email this morning but no allowances for the fact they were released late. 2nd December deadline!

Takoyaki
October 5th, 2011, 07:21
Was checking the Irish website myself every day and then emailed the JET coordinator who put me on an email list for when the applications opened.

Got the email this morning but no allowances for the fact they were released late. 2nd December deadline!

Ah thanks for the tip, I'll email em now :)

Jintor
October 5th, 2011, 10:19
Woo, Australian applications are open!
(http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/e-web/education_jet_forms.html)

uthinkimlost?
October 5th, 2011, 10:38
ProTip:

Take your time with the application. Fill out everything properly. If you're in country with an online app, do a couple of test prints and go over it BEFORE you send it in.

Takoyaki
October 5th, 2011, 10:49
Woo, Australian applications are open!
(http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/e-web/education_jet_forms.html)

Wewwwwwww ^_^

semicolon
October 5th, 2011, 10:58

They were late last year as well and the deadline was still the end of November.

Good luck with the application, everyone!

Takoyaki
October 5th, 2011, 15:20
I was reading the australian application and under remuneration it says
1st year 3 360 000¥
2nd year 3 600 000¥
3rd year 3 900 000 ¥

Is this the same as previous years or a new addition?

Sakurahoshi
October 6th, 2011, 05:41
I was reading the australian application and under remuneration it says
1st year 3 360 000¥
2nd year 3 600 000¥
3rd year 3 900 000 ¥

Is this the same as previous years or a new addition?

I thought all JETs from every country get the same flat rate each year of 3.6 million円? It says that on the official JET website under FAQ's.

Congrats Aussies, you're lucky! UK doesn't open until 'mid-late October' and I'm guessing it will be nearer the 'late' than the 'mid'. I just want to get it submitted already so I can forget about it for a few months. :^_^:

Takoyaki
October 6th, 2011, 07:06
I thought all JETs from every country get the same flat rate each year of 3.6 million円? It says that on the official JET website under FAQ's.

Congrats Aussies, you're lucky! UK doesn't open until 'mid-late October' and I'm guessing it will be nearer the 'late' than the 'mid'. I just want to get it submitted already so I can forget about it for a few months. :^_^:

yea the 3.6mil was what i thought the deal was, unless this is something new they have introduced to try to get participants to recontract.....

Sanssouci
October 6th, 2011, 07:25
Congrats to the Aussies applying.. I'm in the UK so still some time to wait, trying to get everything sorted now so the process is as painless as possible.

As this is my first post, I feel I need to ask a silly question. For the health declaration, should I declare that I tend to get hay fever? I've never gone to the doctor for it, just use over-the-counter antihistamines.

Takoyaki
October 6th, 2011, 07:51
Congrats to the Aussies applying.. I'm in the UK so still some time to wait, trying to get everything sorted now so the process is as painless as possible.

As this is my first post, I feel I need to ask a silly question. For the health declaration, should I declare that I tend to get hay fever? I've never gone to the doctor for it, just use over-the-counter antihistamines.

i wouldn't bother man, i think there looking for more serious ailments that that ;)

StreetsAhead
October 6th, 2011, 14:13
Come on Aussies! We need more around the place! (I'm the only one in prefecture on JET)

Takoyaki
October 6th, 2011, 14:22
Come on Aussies! We need more around the place! (I'm the only one in prefecture on JET)

Haha id happily join ya mate =p

Jintor
October 6th, 2011, 14:43
So do we need to hand in a criminal record and a health check with this application form, or only if we're a successful applicant?

StreetsAhead
October 6th, 2011, 14:56
Haha id happily join ya mate =p

Please do! We got too many Americans here (Love you guys as much as I do).

So do we need to hand in a criminal record and a health check with this application form, or only if we're a successful applicant?

Aussies do not need to unless they're going for an April placement, iirc.

Jintor
October 6th, 2011, 15:01
That's streets ahead.

Takoyaki
October 8th, 2011, 21:26
Hey on the note of Australian JET's i was looking at the stats for Number of Participants by Country on the official website and noticed that only about 50% of Aussie ALT's re-contracted for a second year whilst over 75% of Americans did. Anyone have an idea why that would be?

Ahura
October 8th, 2011, 22:52
Hey on the note of Australian JET's i was looking at the stats for Number of Participants by Country on the official website and noticed that only about 50% of Aussie ALT's re-contracted for a second year whilst over 75% of Americans did. Anyone have an idea why that would be?

Maybe it's a worse job market in the US, so participants have less of a reason to return home?

In other news, looks like the first instructions have been posted (http://jetprogramme.ca/) for Canadian applicants. They've got the reference letter and essay instructions up.

dvae
October 10th, 2011, 21:29
Still waiting for UK applications to open :(

I decided to follow the UK-JET twitter page and straight away Interac started following me. Maybe they're waiting for all the disappointed tweets of failed JET applicants, ready to swoop them up with a 'Why not apply with us instead!'

Rage_and_Hairspray
October 10th, 2011, 22:04
Still waiting for UK applications to open :(

I decided to follow the UK-JET twitter page and straight away Interac started following me. Maybe they're waiting for all the disappointed tweets of failed JET applicants, ready to swoop them up with a 'Why not apply with us instead!'

Interac did exactly the same to me as well...

Zyhlaari
October 11th, 2011, 10:58
Man, I'm pretty sure that would freak me out and make me not want to apply through Interac. Somewhat like ambulance chasing. But hey, I guess it's probably a super effective strategy.

VonD
October 29th, 2011, 06:28
UK App is up, link on the JET twitter page! Get on it Brits ! :D

erinmarie
October 29th, 2011, 07:12
bahhhhh. the US application better be up by next week! good luck UK Jet hopefuls

Merkypie
October 29th, 2011, 07:36
Miami consulate site says its gonna be up Monday. So no worries.

hunterofpeace
October 31st, 2011, 21:24
Refreshing the JET Program website too often to be considered healthy....

Really eager to get started.

mtreecorner
November 1st, 2011, 00:26
Yeah. I am all ready to go except the actual application. And I thought the US government did things slow ;)

Merkypie
November 1st, 2011, 00:48
I went by and nothing so I'm resisting the urge to abuse my command R key. If its not up by 5pm then... hahahahah

lexa1010
November 1st, 2011, 00:52
Just finished the online application (UK) but just got the follow up email demanding tons of paperwork... gah...

JET-setter
November 1st, 2011, 06:01
What kind of paperwork?!

Sakurahoshi
November 1st, 2011, 06:08
Just finished the online application (UK) but just got the follow up email demanding tons of paperwork... gah...

Do you mind me asking what happens to the formatting once you submit? On the final confirmation page, all the formatting is taken out of the international experience/extra-curricular stuff so the paragraphs are one big blended mess. I'm hoping it doesn't stay like this!

Kewne
November 1st, 2011, 07:01
Do you mind me asking what happens to the formatting once you submit? On the final confirmation page, all the formatting is taken out of the international experience/extra-curricular stuff so the paragraphs are one big blended mess. I'm hoping it doesn't stay like this!

From what I remember, the final confirmation page and the actual final application are formatted differently. I put in formatting so it came out nice on the final confirmation page, then after submission it came out strangely in some areas. Particularly the area with several rows side by side, since on the final form in one area they're one under the other and in the other area they're side by side as on the final submission page. I think it's Japan-related studies that are side by side and the bit that talks about your training that is one under the other.

hunterofpeace
November 1st, 2011, 14:46
Yeah the formatting last year got a little bit wonky. I hope they fixed some of the issues...

Rickithly
November 1st, 2011, 19:53
This is my first post, so to start hello :039:

This is my first time applying to JET and I have a question about the form. In the section where it asks about a career after JET...Does what you say impact hugely on your chances of success? I'd like to work for the British Foreign Office after, so put that in along with how it ties in with the JET Programme. However, I am worried that it isn't teaching based.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance I guess. :)

hunterofpeace
November 1st, 2011, 21:56
Relax. JET isn't all about teaching. It's about cultural exchange. Plenty of people who had no interest in teaching as a career have done JET in the past. As long as you can put a positive spin on it and work it into JET (which it looks like you have done) then you should be fine. They aren't looking for career teachers so much as for flexible people who have a love and respect for other cultures. That being said, it is a very competitive program. Having relevant experience will help. Play up your strengths. Prove to them that you are a great candidate.

Rickithly
November 1st, 2011, 22:01
Thank you for the reply. It has put my mind at ease. I have mentioned how I believe the skills I learn participating in JET will be beneficial in such a career, as I will be acting as a representative of Britain.

Unfortunately, I've no teaching or tutoring experience and was a bit worried this would count against me. I do volunteer as a Student Representative at my University, and plan to mention this. It is just tying it all in with JET.

hunterofpeace
November 1st, 2011, 22:09
I think that's a pretty cool angle, honestly. :)

It's best to be honest. If you don't want to teach but put it down to look good, you may get tripped up in the interview later.

Rickithly
November 1st, 2011, 22:15

That is what I was thinking. I used to want to teach, but a lot of the funding you used to get here to do so seems to have been removed (if you want to teach history anyway).

One last quick question; if I had to have counselling for something really insignificant (a lot of housing troubles and such last year), I should still mention this right? I planned too, but when I asked someone else they said it is a really small issue...I just don't want to be tripped up on my application.

hunterofpeace
November 2nd, 2011, 00:22
What kind of counseling? Were you diagnosed with anything? Given medication? Because I think those are the main things they want to know about. If it was something minor like you went to your college guidance counselor or something, I wouldn't mention it.

Rickithly
November 2nd, 2011, 00:46
I just had three telephone sessions with a councillor at the local health service. I was not diagnosed with anything, nor was I given any medication. I was just under a lot of pressure and put all of those fears and what not onto one thing, in this case squirrels (lame I know, but there we go).

hunterofpeace
November 2nd, 2011, 01:00
Don't mention it. Fo reals.

As for the squirrel thing... phobias are irrational fears. Not making sense kind of comes with the territory.

I'm pretty afraid of bees. And Japan has this. (First one).

The 5 Most Horrifying Bugs in the World | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_the-5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html)

Rickithly
November 2nd, 2011, 01:03
Ok then. Thank you for the help.

That is what everyone said. Luckily, I managed to get over the phobia.

And that bee is massive. Nice to see a fellow Cracked reader on here by the way. :D

Black Cat
November 2nd, 2011, 02:03
Ha ha, I'm crazy afraid of bees and spiders, and I researched all the bug problems I could have. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I just defeated a centipede infestation in my basement apartment here in the States and considering that a practice run. On wimpy, small centis, anyway.

I'm behind on stuff but catching up. I've got my references confirmed and coming soon. Tomorrow I'm printing out a ton of paperwork at my library because my printer is dead, and then I'm going to get fingerprinted. Tuesday is my physical stuff. It's tight, but I know I'll make it. I'm also sending in stuff for an early departure, lol. Time to get cracking on that "have money when I get to Japan" fund, too. o_O;;

Wanna have a theme song for other procrastinators who are gonna be pulling out their hair soon? Radiohead - Just - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8)

Rickithly
November 2nd, 2011, 03:02
I'm in a similar boat. I have my references sorted out, as well as my Proof of Graduation/Degree letter. I am awaiting a reply from my university on an academic transcript, and am part way through my application form. I am a bit worried, as I have no previous experience studying Japanese culture etc, though I am interested in it.

I have yet to even think about the Japan fund...I am hoping I have student loan money left over to pay for most of it.

I think everyone has those small fears. I'm absolutely terrified of moths; there is something about them that makes me shudder!

Also, very good choice of song. :109:

asilverthread
November 2nd, 2011, 03:03
As far as phobias go I have a horrible fear of needles and shots. I can't even watch them like on tv or in movies.

deadking
November 2nd, 2011, 04:23
As far as phobias go I have a horrible fear of needles and shots. I can't even watch them like on tv or in movies.

Same here. I can't look when they take my blood or any other shot. I will also never watch Saw 2 for that needle pit scene. I almost threw up the first (and last) time I saw it. :076:

Edit: Also for phobias, large (as in the flying types) cockroaches/water bugs and bees send me into hysterics if I see them get too close for comfort. I can deal with smaller roaches, though they still freak me out.

mtreecorner
November 2nd, 2011, 04:39
The 5 Most Horrifying Bugs in the World | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_the-5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html)

"It's the size of your thumb and it can spray flesh-melting poison."

Rickithly
November 2nd, 2011, 07:46
I agree with the needles comment; I hate that scene from Pulp Fiction where they stab her with insulin...I can't watch it at all.

How are you all finding the application? Is it now up in the US (I keep seeing a lot of people saying it wasn't as of Sunday)? Luckily, I am a UK based applicant and ours went up last Friday.

Teishou
November 2nd, 2011, 07:53
Boast more. :<

But no, it's not up just yet.

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2011, 07:57
It's not up yet. Last thing they did to it was simply update the main page with the 2012 information. I am srsly wondering what the hold up is... Hopefully it'll be online tomorrow. Then that'll give exactly a month to get everything in.... -_-

Kewne
November 2nd, 2011, 07:59
How are you all finding the application? Is it now up in the US (I keep seeing a lot of people saying it wasn't as of Sunday)? Luckily, I am a UK based applicant and ours went up last Friday.

Unfortunately we UK-based people need to get it in within 25 days from now.

I found the application easy, but time-consuming even with my previous application's information. The Personal statement was difficult.

Rickithly
November 2nd, 2011, 08:06
Hopefully you all get it uploaded soon. I know I was frustrated when waiting for ours.

And I saw about the deadline. I'm sorting my Satement of Physician tomorrow, and have sorted the other bits I am reliant on others for (though still awaiting my academic transcript from my uni). I am a little worried about Personal Statement but I'm hoping to contact someone on here, once I've fine tuned it this weekend. How is your application going?

Teishou
November 2nd, 2011, 08:13
I'm sorting my Satement of Physician tomorrow

Wad.

My app is eh. I just need to make copies of everything with my handy dandy printer...and from there, fix my crappy SoP. Waiting on refs. :<

Rickithly
November 2nd, 2011, 08:25
Wad.

My app is eh. I just need to make copies of everything with my handy dandy printer...and from there, fix my crappy SoP. Waiting on refs. :<

Statement of Physician is mentioned on here - JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK (http://www.jet-uk.org/application/appmed.html)

I am currently working through my application, and then need to abuse the University Libraries copying service. I am in the same boat, regarding Sop/Personal Statement. I'm sure your one is better than mine; mine currently seems to be a series of thoughts and ideas. It needs a lot more work, I fear.

Kewne
November 2nd, 2011, 08:50
Whenever I see this thread, the 'Top Cat' theme keeps playing in my head now.

I'm pretty much done with my application, apart from printing (need a new ink cartridge)/putting everything in order and the statement of physician, since my doctor's office is being funny about it. Got an appointment next week to hopefully sort it out though.

Until these are solved, I'll be distracting myself with Battlefield 3 on the 360 if any EU people want to join me in that. I'm just glad I got my references done early.

Teishou
November 2nd, 2011, 10:41
lol My SoP got ripped apart by two people already. More room for improvement. lol

WishfulDreamer
November 2nd, 2011, 11:07
I checked and there's still no deadline for the American app yet, just early December. I hope we have at least a month.

Takoyaki
November 2nd, 2011, 11:15
im 90% done, just waiting on one of my references and police check, soooooo keen to send it off ^_^

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2011, 11:46
I checked and there's still no deadline for the American app yet, just early December. I hope we have at least a month.

The deadline is listed on the application (https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=jet).

Kewne
November 2nd, 2011, 12:30
The deadline is listed on the application (https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=jet).

For those too lazy to click;

All applications and documents must be received in print form in the JET Program Office by December 2, 2011, 5:30pm(EST).

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 05:06
I have another quick question, if anyone can help me.

I am currently doing my SoP/Personal Statement and for the UK application, we have a maximum word count of 800-1000 words. However, I am currently about half way through and it looks like I will only have about 700 words total. I was wondering, do you think this will count against my application at all, or will it be ok as long as I make the points that they ask for?

lexa1010
November 6th, 2011, 05:19
I'm not sure but common sense tells me that it should be fine and go unnoticed if you've said everything you've needed to say! Read it over again and see if youve been vague about anything then try and rewrite and clarify? But I'm just applying this year as well so...

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 05:23
I am planning on having someone from on here read it, if they'd be kind enough. It is one of the reasons I am hoping to have it written this evening.

The problem is, I don't have a lot of experience either living/travelling abroad or teaching. I am just using the examples I have that can be applied to those situations.

It will never be as long as the SoP of someone who spent a year living abroad and has a TEFL certificate so...

I hope your application is going well, by the way. :)

asilverthread
November 6th, 2011, 06:32
I doubt they would really get you for being a bit under the mark. It is always better to have a bit too much than too little to work with when editing. But here are some possible ideas to help stretch your SoP out:

- Do you have any retail experience? Or any other job that involves working with a variety of people? Worked while in school?
This you can talk about how you have experience working with a variety of different people, problem solving, working on a team, working in a fast-pace environment, working while going to school, time management, etc. Talking about work ethnic is always a plus, not to mention talking about how you can adapt to a variety of different situations.

- Specific examples
What you are using to tie yourself to teaching, try using specific examples of things you can do with it. For example: "I helped my cousin with tutoring in math and used games with candies to help her grasp the concepts. In turn I plan to use these kind of hands-on activities with students in Japan to help build vocab blah blah blah blah." There was some example SOP posted via a link on this forum, and that SOP talked about using the Beetles song "Hello, Goodbye" to help young students learn vocabulary.

- Ways you will go beyond the classroom
Like cooking? Music? Dancing? Can you apply this to using it to teach in the classroom? What about outside the classroom with clubs or within the community? Think about building a relationship with students outside a classroom.

Honestly you may be addressing all of those points already.

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 06:37
I doubt they would really get you for being a bit under the mark. It is always better to have a bit too much than too little to work with when editing. But here are some possible ideas to help stretch your SoP out:

- Do you have any retail experience? Or any other job that involves working with a variety of people? Worked while in school?
This you can talk about how you have experience working with a variety of different people, problem solving, working on a team, working in a fast-pace environment, working while going to school, time management, etc. Talking about work ethnic is always a plus, not to mention talking about how you can adapt to a variety of different situations.

- Specific examples
What you are using to tie yourself to teaching, try using specific examples of things you can do with it. For example: "I helped my cousin with tutoring in math and used games with candies to help her grasp the concepts. In turn I plan to use these kind of hands-on activities with students in Japan to help build vocab blah blah blah blah." There was some example SOP posted via a link on this forum, and that SOP talked about using the Beetles song "Hello, Goodbye" to help young students learn vocabulary.

- Ways you will go beyond the classroom
Like cooking? Music? Dancing? Can you apply this to using it to teach in the classroom? What about outside the classroom with clubs or within the community? Think about building a relationship with students outside a classroom.

Honestly you may be addressing all of those points already.

Hello :)

Some of these things I have put in, but others I have not (for example about my part time job: some shifts I even worked with a native Indian speaker and he didn't always understand me. I should have mentioned it...I have sent out messages to a couple of people asking them to look. I may edit, say disregard my last message, this is the new, better version).

In regards to specific examples, I have used some but I think I could go a bit more in depth and extend my word count. :)

The beyond the classroom bit, I have again mentioned but not in much depth.

Thank you for this. I have been thinking and thinking, but kept drawing blanks annoyingly.

asilverthread
November 6th, 2011, 07:23
Don't mention it. Plenty of people have helped me with my SOP. I've done that before with my proof readers of sending them a new PM to my newer draft.

Another thing is to possibly look around the net or in this forum (under Post Your SOP Here thread) for SOPs, especially ones for UK. Usually though they will not be listed as "UK applicant" but usually you can tell by length and those essays generally have more details and specific examples. I say this not to go copy someone else's SOP, but see where and how they've gone into detail, what experiences they listed that you can possibly apply to yourself (like the retail working).

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 07:26
I read through that thread earlier, and got some ideas about what to say in regards to examples (as in, how to explain them properly). I think my biggest problem was I wasn't explaining my experience and things clearly enough. I am hoping that this is now being remedied in my edits.

The other thing I am struggling to achieve is a good flow to the essay, which is really annoying me.

asilverthread
November 6th, 2011, 07:30
Never be shy to say too much when you're doing your first few drafts. That's what proof readers are for- to help you get all the extra unneeded words out. So go ahead and just explain everything out.

And flow can be a pain. One thing is to try reading it out loud, or to have an IRL friend or family member read it to you out loud. You can sometimes catch where you're having flow issues from hearing it or speaking it.

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 07:33
That is what I have been worried about. I didn't want to seem like I was just waffling on...

And I shall try that, once I have everything in. :)

Quick question - I was talking about developing a relationship with the students outside of the classroom by becoming involved in after-school clubs and my girlfriend keeps saying it makes me sound like a paedophile. I don't think it does, and I can't think of another way to put it that makes the same point. Does it sound creepy, or is it an ok term to use?

asilverthread
November 6th, 2011, 07:49
No it doesn't. Just put something in there like it helps build student-teacher relationships and therefore a stronger learning environment back in the classroom. You can also state it can help your students to be more comfortable with speaking/learning English when not in a classroom environment where they feel like they're being judged.

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 07:54
Thank you. I think it must have been my phrasing that was off. It seems to be sounding better now I have had my girlfriend read it and suggest some changes, as well as the ones that you have mentioned.

You have been a great help by the way (especially as I will not be sleeping until I am reasonably happy with this). :D

asilverthread
November 6th, 2011, 08:01
You're welcome. And most of the stuff I mentioned is from my proof readers (like reading it out loud) or just browsing this forum.

Rickithly
November 6th, 2011, 08:06
Well it has been extremely helpful. I have spent around 6 or 7 hours fretting about this now. Your advice has stopped me panicking and generally helped me to think more clearly. :^_^:

atheistwithfaith
November 6th, 2011, 15:01
It definitely doesn't make you sound like a pedo. The UK has some kind of mass hysterical obsession regarding fear of paedophilia - something which doesn't exist in Japan. Plus the whole after-school activities culture is totally different from the UK, it's seen as weird if you DON'T do something after school as a student or a teacher (though as an ALT you don't have to).