PDA

View Full Version : pred trying to sell stuff

Tyr
July 11th, 2011, 23:43
Just noticed I got an email from my pred whilst I was in London, they're trying to sell me their old stuff....and the price they're quoting is a hell of a lot. 50,000 yen, everything as a job lot with no individual prices.

Looking through the list of whats for sale....I can't see much that really warrants the value. DVD players and microwaves cost £30 or so in the UK, checking amazon the first microwave for Japan that pops up is £50 (don't see myself needing a DVD player), irons are also cheap, blankets and towels and stuff- why are these even included? Second hand towels? eww.
I guess that there's two bikes could build up the cost but 1: I only need one and 2: as I've mentioned my successor is short whereas I'm at the top end of average height...for the west, for Japan I'm probally tall. I've always needed a larger bike.
The only potentially expensive and needed things are the heater and the sofa but...£400?

So yeah...this seems to be a damn awful deal to me. Buying everything new/second hand elsewhere wouldn't cost too much more and I don't need several things that are listed.
Are there any weird little things would could potentially cost a lot in Japan? Is there a mega tax on seating cushions or something?

So...any suggestions on how to politely say no? Baring in mind I would be hurting my pred here and they could well decide to make my arrival very uncomfortable.

Muffles
July 12th, 2011, 00:05
This makes me happy that my pred is leaving me everything for free.

Strange_quark
July 12th, 2011, 00:32
So...any suggestions on how to politely say no? Baring in mind I would be hurting my pred here and they could well decide to make my arrival very uncomfortable.

Just say that although you can see the difficulties of them getting rid of stuff (they're probably trying to sell to you to avoid the hassle, as well as being nice, making sure you have things when you get there), you're just not in a financial situation where you can afford that stuff.

You don't have to buy all of it, or any of it. If there's anything you think you want, ask about that. It's a thanks but no thanks situation - thank them for their consideration, however, you don't want or need a lot of those things.

If you DO decide, ask if you can have photos of the stuff - all angles etc to check for condition, and maybe a half up front half later arrangement with payment.

You're under no obligation, and when you have your pay days, you can buy anything you want. It depends how long you'll be there - if it's just a year, you might be in the same situation as your predecessor in 12 months. But it first and foremost their responsibility to deal with their stuff.

Good luck!

melty
July 12th, 2011, 00:33
Can you ask if they would mind you taking just some of the listed items...and tell them what you want to buy, and ask them for a price. If you don't like the sound of the price, just say no.

I think I asked my successor for about 5Man (the same amount your pred is asking for)...but that was for the expensive items that I had bought (air-conditioner, fridge, washing machine, stove, microwave, toaster etc.) I didn't bother asking for money for kotatsu/ iron/ plates/ pans/ sofa/ bike/ loads of spare futons etc. because I felt cheeky asking, and it was really helpful that I didn't need to give them all away!!

You have to understand that unfortunately some predecessors really try to rip off their successors BUT quite often they're not doing it to be mean. They really think their shit is worth a lot of money.

Repeat: If you don't think it's worth it- you can say no!!

P.S. Please be aware that it would cost you A LOT more than 5 man to furnish an apartment. I spent more than 5man on my air-conditioner alone!! Starting off from scratch can be hard if you're a recent grad without much in the way of savings!!

melty
July 12th, 2011, 00:51
You son of a bitch, now the price is 750 or you can buy your own shit when you get here. Good luck moving furniture with a bike, dick.

lol if you really are her successor then I think you made the decision easier for her. I assume you're just kidding though.

Tyr: If you flirt with sales clerks in the shops they might deliver fridges/air-con/sofas for free anyway :)

Tyr
July 12th, 2011, 02:19
The air con is built into the flat and the fridge is owned by the BOE so thats no bother. There's a few jets going to the same area as me who need to get cars so even if I do have to get something big (maybe will want I'm sure I'll be able to get someone to help me.

I'm particularly annoyed as I remember them mentioning they got one of the bikes for free and there was supposed to be a bed in there somewhere but it has merely been downgraded to a matress.
Strange really as they've been kinda decent so far.

melty: why not ask for kotatsu money? Isn't that a big expensive thing?

dirtbag
July 12th, 2011, 06:56
tell them that you don't have that much money.

Jojo
July 12th, 2011, 07:20
protip: say you cant afford to buy it... then get left most of it for free

Ini
July 12th, 2011, 08:49
kotatsu dont cost anything, you can get them for a few thousand yen.

5man for a load of stuff aint bad, I'd pay it if I were you just because I know if it was me I would rather smash it all to pieces in the centre of the living room and piss over the pile of remains rather than give it away for free to some freeloading cheapskate.

mothy
July 12th, 2011, 09:01
I'd say he's definitely not offering you a bargain, but the stuff does seem to be worth 50,000 if it's in good condition. Plus, in my opinion, it's worth paying more to have stuff when you move in. It's not that much fun to spend your first day in Japan drying off after a shower with a paper towel while hiding behind a suitcase because your neighbor is watching you through their window and you have no curtains.

And just because you might have some ALT friends who have cars doesn't mean they'll be free to help you right away or that their car will be big enough to carry anything bigger than a microwave.

Not saying you should take the deal, but consider there's more than just stuff you're buying. You're buying peace of mind.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OclttfJrUI8/TadZ5DOfzLI/AAAAAAAABSg/T2ZWxEMF72Q/s1600/the_more_you_know.jpg

Alphabet
July 12th, 2011, 11:07
Too much. Offer 3man.

Lego
July 12th, 2011, 12:04
The legacies of predecessors / successors is luck of the draw. If your predecessor got fucked, they will feel justified in fucking you as well. Since you seem to have bad luck and be on the receiving end of this, you should try to come to a conclusion that both of you are fine with. You both have unique power over each other. You are in control of how easily your predecessor moves out, so they will probably bend to your offers when they feel they have no other choice. But if you push too hard, the wrath of a predecessor is a terrible thing, and they control how you will be spending your first few weeks or months.

dirtbag
July 12th, 2011, 12:16
Second hand towels? eww.

have you ever stayed in a hotel?

Tarquin
July 12th, 2011, 14:14
It's a bit on the pricey side but might be worth it. Maybe negotiate it down a bit if you can.

Towels can be useful for house guests too, you might not want to use second hand towels yourself (don't be a pansy though, if they don't have shitstains and you've made sure their washed who the hell cares) but if you have people to stay then it is a useful thing to have.

melty
July 12th, 2011, 17:56
melty: why not ask for kotatsu money? Isn't that a big expensive thing?

I bought it for about 3000yen from a second hand shop. I miss that kotatsu!!

I can't tell if some things have been missed off the list! If the essential items (fridge, aircon etc.) are all owned by the BOE, then even if you say no, you won't move into an empty flat. (:))

Maybe they were just starting with a high price so you would bargain them down?? Alphabet's suggestion of about 3man sounds fairer.

Hikari
July 12th, 2011, 19:25
i guess it depends what he's selling you. i know some boes don't provide anything, lights or fridges or whatever, so in that case it might not be so bad a price. did they say when they bought the items and for how much?

Tyr
July 12th, 2011, 19:47
Meh to an empty flat. I've known that just fine as a student.

I don't want to post a full list, just in case he is a forum browser and that would make it a bit obvious. As said though there's a fair amount of stuff on the list but I can't see much that would cost very much.
Researching the kerosene heater and the sofa are about the only things I can see myself needing which would cost £100.
Oh well, guess there's no way around this but to just mail them no.

Easy_money
July 12th, 2011, 20:02
Chances are they will just leave most of the stuff anyway.

Tyr
July 12th, 2011, 20:05
Chances are they will just leave most of the stuff anyway.
Only if I handle this right I'd wager though.

Hikari
July 12th, 2011, 20:31
Tyr if you want, you can PM me and I'll tell you how much I would estimate it to be from things being sold here by preds and from prices in local stores.

ten_of_spades
July 12th, 2011, 23:21
If you say "I don't have the money", he'll reply with "bullshit, you're about to be making 300,000yen/month".

Also, comparing prices in Japan to prices at home isn't a good idea because everything is more expensive in Japan. Forget anything you know about prices in your home country.

If there's anything truly unnecessary on the list, say you're not interested. Maybe talk him down to 4man for the rest. And, see if he'll let you pay in installments. I bought my pred's car and sent her half the money after my first paycheque and the remainder after my second.

greengoo
July 13th, 2011, 00:09
mvZgwtpPmLY

Strange_quark
July 13th, 2011, 01:36
this is a really stupid argument though. a lot of JETs have to scrimp and save to have the recommended 20man to bring over, and money will be tight for sure in the first month or two. in addition, so what if they're making 300k a month? I know a fair number of people who are paying off student loans and the like that are budgeted down to the very last yen. just because someone is going to be making a JET salary doesn't mean they can drop 5 man on assorted junk, sight unseen.

Word.

Antonath
July 13th, 2011, 11:19
My pred also left me everything for free. Unfortunately, that also included everything he'd been left for free, and everything that had been left for free by the ALT before that, too.

On the bright side, it means I will be continuing a tradition when I leave all my crap for my successor, along with all the older stuff.

Jojo
July 13th, 2011, 16:47
My pred also left me everything for free. Unfortunately, that also included everything he'd been left for free, and everything that had been left for free by the ALT before that, too.

On the bright side, it means I will be continuing a tradition when I leave all my crap for my successor, along with all the older stuff.
This is a well established tradition that i heartily endorse :D

patjs
July 13th, 2011, 19:14
this is a really stupid argument though. a lot of JETs have to scrimp and save to have the recommended 20man to bring over, and money will be tight for sure in the first month or two. in addition, so what if they're making 300k a month? I know a fair number of people who are paying off student loans and the like that are budgeted down to the very last yen. just because someone is going to be making a JET salary doesn't mean they can drop 5 man on assorted junk, sight unseen.

that's a good argument at first glance, but think about it for a bit. if you were in any other situation moving into a new apartment you would have probably a thousand dollars or more worth of stuff to buy. Many JETs basically come into a situtation where almost everything they need is provided, and then they bitch about the price. Just because you have student loans doesn't mean you can't spend a little more the first month on expenses for your new place. It should be expected.

I know people hear stories about getting everything for free so maybe it makes them feel like they are entitled to more.

5man for all that is a little steep, but hell you could easily pay later or something

jwkelley
July 14th, 2011, 04:16
If the guy is trying to charge you that much off the bat, he more then likely is going to be going out of his way to make your first month easy. Be polite counter offer for the stuff you want or politely decline. If he is the kind of person who is going to make your first month hell over something this petty more then likely something else would set him off and it was going to happen anyways.

jwkelley
July 14th, 2011, 09:22
I don't think that follows at ALL. Lots of JETs are just looking to make a quick buck before going home. I know people whose preds tried charging them for things supplied by the BOE.
Posted via Mobile Device

I forgot to put a not in that sentence. sorry about that

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 09:43
For a normal person moving into an apartment, yeah. But a lot of JETs are fresh out of college and have no problem living in sparsely-or-un-decorated apartments with the bare minimum and will only buy things they need as the time comes. Also, most people would rather be able to pick and choose shit rather than having a crummy tv, peeling bookshelf, and ratty couch passed down from their great-grand-pred.

I don't think that follows at ALL. Lots of JETs are just looking to make a quick buck before going home. I know people whose preds tried charging them for things supplied by the BOE.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whatever you do, just don't promise to pay, get the bank information, then send an apology letter the DAY your pred's movers are coming saying "Sorry, but no moneys good luck anyway." I can't pack any of this shit up now, the paperwork is already finalized. I don't think I've been this angry in years.

EDIT: It's not the bloody money so much as the principle of the thing. If they had come back and said "I don't have as much money as I thought, can we renegotiate?" That would have been FINE. But no. Hopefully the email and voicemail I left them will make them think again.

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 09:49
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

pee on everything. EEEEEEEEEEEEVERYTHING

Sounds like too much effort, but unless they make an effort to at least somewhat rectify this, I'm sure as hell not doing them anymore favors. Do kids have no concept of the verbal contract anymore? It's like flaking on a EBay auction after you won. ::flips tables::

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 10:15
Okay, then don't pee on EVERYTHING, but pee on some things--the nicer it is, the more pee. Be sure to eat lots of asparagus beforehand. Also, shit in the rice cooker.

But I don't liiiike asparagus. :P

I'd feel horrible wrecking the bed (that I bought new, it's really nice, cost me 4.5man) that's done me so well the last few years. But well, I'll try to see if I can negotiate getting some money out of them when they get their first check. I was going to take the damn bike home with me if they didn't want it, but...SIGH. Too late now.

You guys are cheering me up, thanks for that. I'm just glad I found an outside buyer for the TV, so at least I'm getting a 1/3 of the almost 13man I put towards that, at least. As for the rest of the apartment, sigh.

bittersweet
July 14th, 2011, 11:09
i would give the stuff away to neighbors for free over giving it to the successor.

But I don't liiiike asparagus. :P

I'd feel horrible wrecking the bed (that I bought new, it's really nice, cost me 4.5man) that's done me so well the last few years. But well, I'll try to see if I can negotiate getting some money out of them when they get their first check. I was going to take the damn bike home with me if they didn't want it, but...SIGH. Too late now.

You guys are cheering me up, thanks for that. I'm just glad I found an outside buyer for the TV, so at least I'm getting a 1/3 of the almost 13man I put towards that, at least. As for the rest of the apartment, sigh.

lilyanphino
July 14th, 2011, 11:17
Look up all the new JETs going to your area and offer them your stuff.

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 11:51
Look up all the new JETs going to your area and offer them your stuff.

I'm going to see what they say in reply to my "Please reconsider, you can pay me later" email and decide from there. The problem is is that most of the newbies are also entering pretty nicely stocked places. ^^;

(Successor thought it would be rude for me to have to wait for money, when they are screwing me over otherwise. Really odd.)

Sheepy
July 14th, 2011, 12:02
You son of a bitch, now the price is 750 or you can buy your own shit when you get here. Good luck moving furniture with a bike, dick.

Haha

My successor seemed ok but showed no interest in my lovely things at cheapy cheapy prices. So I'm selling everything to my friends and they can sit on their arse on the tatami and then buy a shitty floor chair for 5000 yen or something. I'm still leaving them loads of other shite for free though because I'm nice.

Jojo
July 14th, 2011, 12:42
honestly i think they are trying to hustle you. Dont let them pay over time - they wont!

Ini
July 14th, 2011, 13:08
when you move out take all the lightbulbs, the toilet seat, remove the all the front plates from the power outlets, take all the fuses out the fuse box, pull up the tatami and leave it stacked in the genkan, take down all the curtains, puncture the tubing leading from the cooker to the gas main, turn off the water at the mains and remove all the taps, take down all the lights so there is just exposed wiring hanging from the ceilings.

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 13:46
Oh Ini, your wisdom is always appreciated. However, the fact I'm pretty sure I'd get arrested for destroying some of the landlord's property too there makes me think that your method may not be the best way to go about it. Thank you for your input, though!

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 15:40
That sounds like too much work for revenge to be honest. Especially in this fucking heat. Shite in the freezer... job done.

Word. My last power bill is going to be crazy.

jwkelley
July 14th, 2011, 16:23
Wonder how well it would go if i try to sell a bunch of shit from the states to my pred.

word
July 14th, 2011, 17:28
Seriously, I would give everything of value away before I would leave it to someone who lied to me like that.

AnruiUkimi
July 14th, 2011, 18:21
The temptation is there, but I'm going to try and talk to her a bit more first, now that I'm calmed down. I may end up trying to hawk a few items to locals/recycle shop depending. I wonder if my local place takes furniture...

word
July 14th, 2011, 18:53
If it's decent furniture, I'll bet they do. You'll receive a pittance, to be sure, but better than the nothing your successor is planning on paying you.

I'm big on the principle of the matter. If my successor told me up front that they were poor and it was gonna be difficult to pay me for anything I was leaving, I'd probably leave it all with a couple of man bills hidden in the silverware drawer. If they told me they'd buy everything, then backed out two weeks before I left... it would all be gone, save the shit in the rice cooker.

kyaillya
July 14th, 2011, 19:44
That is super shitty Anrui!!!!!

I hope they have a hard time finding replacements if they still reject your offer! How much were you selling things for?? Was it at all unreasonable??

I have a question to those of you already out there - My predecessor has asked me if I don't mind if she doesn't replace the Tatami mats in the bedroom (which apparently is a requirement for her when she moves out). Simultaneously she also wants me to buy some of her stuff for a reasonable price (which I don't mind buying).

But my brain tells me - surely if I'm saving her money on replacing the Tatami, perhaps she should offer her stuff for less/free. What do you guys think???

word
July 14th, 2011, 19:53
If her BoE actually allows her to do this deal with you, she should happily give you everything, unless she's selling you a huge HDTV, a brand-new bed, and an assload of other crap. The tatami cost upwards of 8,000yen each. If she's replacing a decent-sized room full of tatami, the savings you're offering her are worth far more than any of the shit she's trying to sell you. If she won't give you that shit, I'd say force her to replace the tatami.

kyaillya
July 14th, 2011, 20:09
Thanks Word.

No big ass TV! No brand new bed! Just a handful of 1 year old items including a double matress, a kotatsu and a large room heater for just under 2Man - so not a bad deal I think.

She has been impressively helpful so far, so I don't want to make things difficult for her - but at the same time I don't think I should be getting the bum end of the deal.

word
July 14th, 2011, 20:32
Ini is right... 2man is nothing. On the other side of that, 2man is the exact same "nothing" for her. She'll be paying a fuck of a lot more than 2man to replace all that tatami, and if you and her BoE allow her to save that much money, then she should be quite happy to give you 2man worth of shit.

Look at it this way... what if you hafta replace all that tatami when you leave? If it's an eight-tatami room, you'll probably be paying well over 6man.

Edit: 2man for that stuff really isn't a bad deal, but the fact that you're willing to allow her to leave you a room full of fucked up tatami mats is worth something, too.

kyaillya
July 14th, 2011, 20:50
Yeah, exactly!!! I think I will just get her to replace the tatami - I would rather keep things proper and above board, rather than get there and wish I had got her to replace them (and probably ending up replacing them myself if they were in a crappy state).

Not really worth debating/arguing with her about. She has to replace them - so she should. And I will happily pay for her stuff!! (No pikey or fresh-faced student here Ini!)

DONE

word
July 14th, 2011, 20:59
Yah, when MG and I moved in to this place, we offered to allow the previous residents to leave the old tatami mats. We planned on halving the cost with 'em when we left (they were all for this deal). The village (owners of the place) wouldn't allow it, so the previous tenants replaced the mats, and we'll hafta do the same when we leave. Just the way shit goes here.

atheistwithfaith
July 15th, 2011, 07:47
That is a dick move by your succ Anrui. Why are some people such unempathetic tards.

Strange_quark
July 15th, 2011, 08:34
I think it's an unfortunate truth that with a big group of people going on JET a good 50% are bound to be shitheads/morons/arses/useless tits.

And I think I've met the 50% UK quota... hmm.

Hope you get it sorted. If you need somewhere to put it if you can't sort it out, or you want me to try and flog it for you, I can get you in touch with my pred, and she can direct you to my apartment in el Tangodor?

AnruiUkimi
July 15th, 2011, 09:12
Hope you get it sorted. If you need somewhere to put it if you can't sort it out, or you want me to try and flog it for you, I can get you in touch with my pred, and she can direct you to my apartment in el Tangodor?

Don't suppose you are interested in a nice mountain bike that might need a bit of fiddling with the brakes (probably a 10 minute fix,) but is otherwise awesome? I was going to take it home with me, but they tooooold me they'd buy it, so I left it. And thusly was fucked over. Also, I have a near-mint semi-double bed that is the main thing I was hoping for money for, and is the main thing I'm angry about besides the bike I can't take home now. I'll copypasta an excerpt from the rather long email I sent this morning:

Note: I started at 60,000 yen, FULLY EXPECTING that like most sane people, we'd haggle down from there. The bed cost me around 42000 yen, as an FYI. Here goes:

"Bluntly, you were supposed to haggle with me. The price I gave you was the high end of what I was hoping to receive. When I got here in 2008, I paid my successor 42500 yen. That was basically for the bike, and about 12000 yen for assorted bits, like the printer and some of the furniture. There was no bed, no TV, there was hardly any curtains, no electric space heater, no a lot of little things that I ended up buying later. I HAGGLED with him for that, and I was happy with it. I was expecting to haggle with you more to the 45000 yen range in the end, and was surprised when you agreed outright. And honestly, at 45000, you would be making out like a bandit, unless you prefer sheets for curtains and no furniture."

EDIT: I had started out at two price points, 60,000 for everything BUT the TV, and 100,000 with. They told me that they didn't have the money to buy the TV (37" Toshiba Regza LCD, bought new late Fall 2008 for 125000 yen, luckily one of the teachers at my school was in the market for a good deal due to the impending Analog switchoff and I sold it to her for 42000 yen.) But she agreed with the other amount both in email and on the phone when I blew $15 on Skype to call her.

The rest of the email is a big controlled rant on personal responsibility and being a bloody adult, and I will thusly not post it. :P

ten_of_spades
July 15th, 2011, 09:22

What do you think some of that 20man is for? (hint: not just rent and key money)

Also, you'll be surprised how the college mindset changes once you start making a relatively decent wage. Sitting on milk crates and eating instant ramen isn't going to cut it when you're pulling in 30man/month.

Strange_quark
July 15th, 2011, 09:22
I wish I could, but my BoE is already giving me a bike, bed, kotatsu etc. They've been really lovely to furnish the apartment for me. Sorry! But I don't mind sorting things out for you when you're gone and sending you the money for stuff. Or, if you can get it to my apartment, I can arrange for it to be sent home to you? I will help if I can!

I think that's a perfectly reasonable email to send them (I'm trying to remember who your predecessor is now, because I'm sure I've met them...), especially after being so bloody ridiculous. Maybe they thought it would be a cunning plan and you'd just leave it out of annoyance and hassle?

Edit: I agree that mindsets change with money, but if like me you've literally had NO MONEY for the last two years, ie since I graduated, then you tend to want to hold on to it. They've probably not thought ahead at this stage but I don't think I could hold it against someone who's never HAD that kind of disposable income to want to cling to it.

Not excusing them from being a fickle dick though.

AnruiUkimi
July 15th, 2011, 09:26
I wish I could, but my BoE is already giving me a bike, bed, kotatsu etc. They've been really lovely to furnish the apartment for me. Sorry! But I don't mind sorting things out for you when you're gone and sending you the money for stuff. Or, if you can get it to my apartment, I can arrange for it to be sent home to you? I will help if I can!

I think that's a perfectly reasonable email to send them (I'm trying to remember who your predecessor is now, because I'm sure I've met them...), especially after being so bloody ridiculous. Maybe they thought it would be a cunning plan and you'd just leave it out of annoyance and hassle?

Edit: I agree that mindsets change with money, but if like me you've literally had NO MONEY for the last two years, ie since I graduated, then you tend to want to hold on to it. They've probably not thought ahead at this stage but I don't think I could hold it against someone who's never HAD that kind of disposable income to want to cling to it.

Oh, I don't want to keep anything beyond the bike, but I've officially given up on that, it would be too expensive to ship. xD; Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on some short-term storage depending on their future replies. And yes, you told me in a PM you have their phone info. :P

Oh, I have no problem with the money. This isn't about the money. This is about personal integrity and not being a flaky childish idiot who didn't do their research first (they told me in the email that they "talked to some friends in Japan and was told that sounded expensive" and I'm like THAT'S WHY YOU HAGGLE WITH ME YOU ^&*(^^^&()

SIGH

Strange_quark
July 15th, 2011, 09:36
Aaaah yes.

That person.

Hmmmmmm!

Flake: quite likely. I apologise on their behalf. I guess not hanging about on the forums you don't have the same kind of input and wide range of advice.

Feel completely free to use my plentiful storage (I totally should've gone for the massive apartment... I could've charged storage fees!).

You could try intercargo - they're cheap (I think a mountain bike would probably cost £50... so about $80). You could try and ebay it? I wouldn't mind handling that for you either.

I shall be appropriately annoyed at this person when I see them next on your behalf.

Have a Tango hug.

AnruiUkimi
July 15th, 2011, 09:44
Why aren't you my successorrrrrr ;_;

<3

ten_of_spades
July 15th, 2011, 10:33
Oh, I don't want to keep anything beyond the bike, but I've officially given up on that, it would be too expensive to ship. xD; Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on some short-term storage depending on their future replies. And yes, you told me in a PM you have their phone info. :P

Oh, I have no problem with the money. This isn't about the money. This is about personal integrity and not being a flaky childish idiot who didn't do their research first (they told me in the email that they "talked to some friends in Japan and was told that sounded expensive" and I'm like THAT'S WHY YOU HAGGLE WITH ME YOU ^&*(^^^&()

SIGH

I would put good money on the fact that she will visit home over Christmas and never return to Japan. She probably won't even leave a note or clean out her fridge.

Kittens
July 15th, 2011, 12:19
My pred seems like a nice person and gave me lots of inside info about my schools, but he is asking $200 for things I have yet to see photos of. And apparently, he will still be in the apartment for a few days after I arrive with my husband. Deliciously awkward times ahead! :D

I'm really particular about home decor, so I'd rather just buy new things, but we'll see.

ten_of_spades
July 15th, 2011, 12:46
My pred seems like a nice person and gave me lots of inside info about my schools, but he is asking $200 for things I have yet to see photos of. And apparently, he will still be in the apartment for a few days after I arrive with my husband. Deliciously awkward times ahead! :D

I'm really particular about home decor, so I'd rather just buy new things, but we'll see.

With any luck, the BoE will set up alternate living arrangements for those overlap days. My successor arrived a few days before I left, so the town office ended up giving me a room in an old folks home.

I kinda wish I had known about that place earlier, because it was a lot more stylish than the house I was living in...

Twala
July 15th, 2011, 13:23
I'm in the same situation! Well, the pred staying with me part, not the husband + pred happy/awkward threesome part. Strange because it says in the handbook that if there is an overlap in the pred-successor transition that the successor would have to find temporary alternative housing on their own dime @_@ Works out for us in the end, even if it could be potentially awkward.

My pred's deal runs a bit on the high end, but I let her know up front almost a month ago (before we even started talking prices) that I'm one of those recent college grads working two jobs just above minimum wage who will gladly pay in installments out of my first few deposits. I accepted her asking price of 30man, but it was not until yesterday that the pred mentions that half should be paid up front. . .

I'm scrambling for it (because regardless of what some may say, I'm reserving that initial 20man for myself), but I really don't think it's going to happen. I don't mind essentially giving up half of my first two checks, but it's the pred's reasons for needing the money that somewhat irks me. Pred will be in Japan for a month after the contract ends and will need the money for travel and sending things home. Call me crazy, but isn't that something one should budget for on one's own dime? Just as Pred started out with nothing, I could roll with nothing for a few months as well. The GIH makes it clear that successors are not obligated to buy their Pred's things. I have no problem starting from scratch.

I don't know, I think it's the sudden demand that throws me the most. Had the pred let me know the situation on that end, I would have had more options to procure this money. Now I have least than a week to get up an additional $1,700. . . I really don't want to be "that" pred. Like I said, I'm happy to essentially give up half of my first two deposits, but pred seems really adamant that half needs to be paid up front.

Argh! Communication!! What do you all think?

Included in that 30man is: a 9-year-old Kei car, bed, bike, kotatsu, futon, assorted house wear.

Alphabet
July 15th, 2011, 13:58
30man is a rip off.

ten_of_spades
July 15th, 2011, 14:06
I think you overpaid by about 10men.

Talk them down to a lower amount on the down payment. 10-12.5 sounds reasonable. If they insist on the half up-front, you can always threaten to walk away, especially since you can get a lot of what your pred is selling for less if you tried.

AnruiUkimi
July 15th, 2011, 15:15
30man does sound rather high, the fact she didn't tell you she wants 1/2 up front until now is tacky, too. :/

word
July 15th, 2011, 15:23
If you pay 30man for a piece-of-shit kei and a bunch of old futons and shit, you are so dumb. For real.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, how much shakken is left on the kei? It'd better have just been renewed...

Twala
July 16th, 2011, 02:22
I think you overpaid by about 10men.

Yeah, I think so too. This is part of my reply to the pred

". . .However, I am a lady of my word, and since I already accepted the price, I will pay it, but I cannot give you half up front. If I had more time, I would have had more options for procuring the money.

"I'm very sorry if this is unsatisfactory, and I know that getting rid of things at this point would be difficult but still possible. This is an unfortunate situation, but I can only give you half of my first check before you leave and the rest out of subsequent deposits. If you are generous enough to allow me to reneg on our written agreement of 30man and bring it down to 20man then I could give you 5man upon arrival and the 15 man out of my next check before you leave."

Hopefully that will be incentive enough to bring the price down, but with the length of time it takes for the pred to respond, I'll be in Japan at the pred's door step before any decisions are made.

If you pay 30man for a piece-of-shit kei and a bunch of old futons and shit, you are so dumb. For real.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, how much shakken is left on the kei? It'd better have just been renewed...

Four months left on the shakken. And the car's pretty nice, <70K and I've seen video of it. Everything except the car is less than a year old, but you're right, 30 man is a lot and I do feel stupid now.

I would essentially be paying the pred another month's salary just for leaving things to me.

uthinkimlost?
July 16th, 2011, 02:25
4 months? You're going to owe a shit-ton.

greengoo
July 16th, 2011, 03:49
You got hosed, Davey.

Twala
July 16th, 2011, 04:19
Well, shit. At least I'll know how /not/ to treat my successor.

okinomiyaki
July 16th, 2011, 05:49
Is it just me or does rent in Japan seem insanely cheap? £100 a month for a small house cheap.

Muffles
July 16th, 2011, 06:52
:012: it's alright for some...

atheistwithfaith
July 16th, 2011, 08:07
Is it just me or does rent in Japan seem insanely cheap? £100 a month for a small house cheap.

Your rent is almost certainly subsidised by the BoE though...

word
July 16th, 2011, 08:35
You got hosed, Davey.

That's putting it mildly. I'm buying a newer kei with shakken for almost a year for around a third of that. Your pred is an awful person for doing this to you, and I can't believe you didn't check with other folks before agreeing to pay so much. Honestly, if I were in your place, I would tell him/her to fuck right off. It's shady for you to back out of the deal, but he/she is obviously a piece of shit who will happily take advantage of a dumb person, so I'm not very sympathetic.

Twala
July 16th, 2011, 10:20
WHY AREN'T YOU MY SUCCESSOR?! ;;;_;;;

Well, Word, after reading that I'm sincerely in fts mode. Pred seemed so nice, too. :rageface: I can only be mad at myself, though. I should have consulted other JETs. Only thing now is to wait and see what pred's response is. I'm not going to be an absolute, freeloading prick, but I will present that bit of information in the next correspondence. I'm a principle of the matter over monetary principle kind of lady. What's sad is that this JET is almost twice my age. I just don't understand.

But really, I just don't care now. Pred could dick up the apartment and sell off the car. I'm going to overhaul the apartment when I get there anyway, and my schools are not that far away. I can save up for a new car before I need it.

God, I'm such an idiot.

Strange_quark
July 16th, 2011, 10:24
Everyone makes mistakes. I think you're dealing with it in a reasonable manner.

Page
July 16th, 2011, 10:26
yeah I'd say fuck the car. You can buy a used one for like 20 man with a year or two shakken. tell him to eat a dick. the boe is going to see the apartment when/before you arrive and if you're planning on getting all new stuff anyway there's no loss.

what a douche.

AnruiUkimi
July 16th, 2011, 10:49
Everyone makes mistakes. I think you're dealing with it in a reasonable manner.

THIS. Newest email was more promising from my successor, I'm hoping to reach an agreement soon. Hopefully. xD;

word
July 16th, 2011, 11:05
Pred seemed so nice, too.Most con artists usually do.

What's sad is that this JET is almost twice my age.Actually, that explains a lot. He/she is a bit old to be in the "arriving back home with no job lined up" situation, so he/she is probably looking to squeeze all the money he/she can out of you. He/she probably has a sense of "I'm old, I've paid my dues; these young people need to pay up," a sort of "hazing" attitude. He/she is probably a bit clueless regarding what things are actually worth, too.

But really, I just don't care now. Pred could dick up the apartment and sell off the car. I'm going to overhaul the apartment when I get there anyway, and my schools are not that far away. I can save up for a new car before I need it.Yah, you'll be fine. Save that money for yourself. For 30man, you can afford all kinds of cars. Are you in contact with any of your other future block-mates? See if there's another leaver who's trying to sell a car or something.

God, I'm such an idiot.

Everyone makes mistakes. I think you're dealing with it in a reasonable manner.word

yeah I'd say fuck the car. You can buy a used one for like 20 man with a year or two shakken. tell him to eat a dick. the boe is going to see the apartment when/before you arrive and if you're planning on getting all new stuff anyway there's no loss.

what a douche.word

Especially that part I emphasized.

ten_of_spades
July 16th, 2011, 11:11
Luckily, kei-car shakken prices are generally reasonable, depending on how much work needs to be done. Mine (10 years old) had a base price of 4man but I had them take care of some repairs which bumped the price up a bit. Still, anything in the 4-7man range isn't too bad.

Twala
July 16th, 2011, 11:30
Thanks all. I really appreciate the support.

Maybe my pred intentionally started high like Anrui with the expectation that I would haggle it down, and I just bit the bait like a n00b, not knowing any better. I hope the pred reconsiders. Last thing I want is the pred mouthing off to my supervisor about "Oh, she said she'd pay, but now she's making me wait. I wouldn't trust her." After all the time and money I've put into omiyage, teaching supplies, and this whole darn process, I would absolutely fume if the relationship with my future coworkers were to be colored with shit like that before I even got there.

Whatever happens, I'll just be upfront and honest about what I can and can't do. Even if things start out on a bad foot, consistent kindness and integrity will prevail! /end after school special.

charmed_23
July 16th, 2011, 11:38
Yeah, as everyone has said, you're not obligated to buy their stuff. I sold stuff to my pred for about 9man, and that included a white plate car with 4 months of shakken left. I've also just paid the tax on it that was 4man, and that price also includes all of the apartment furnishings.

word
July 16th, 2011, 15:47
Last thing I want is the pred mouthing off to my supervisor about "Oh, she said she'd pay, but now she's making me wait. I wouldn't trust her." After all the time and money I've put into omiyage, teaching supplies, and this whole darn process, I would absolutely fume if the relationship with my future coworkers were to be colored with shit like that before I even got there.

Don't worry about this. It sounds like your pred is kindof obnoxious, so she may not be very well-liked. Just show up and do your thing; people will always give you a chance. Most Japanese people will view any dispute between you and your pred as some sort of internal foreigner squabbling, and will view it as outside the scope of their interactions with you, anyway.

AnruiUkimi
July 16th, 2011, 23:09
Maybe my pred intentionally started high like Anrui with the expectation that I would haggle it down

There's high (and honestly, I've bought so much stuff for the apartment I'm leaving her that 6man wasn't a ripoff, it was just on the high END) and there's HIGH. 30man? That car better be gold-plated and dancing girls/boys greeting you at the door when you get to the apartment.

In other news, my successor and I have had a good discussion, and we cleared up our issues and misunderstandings and haggled properly. 4.5man instead of 6, which is what I was shooting for in the first place, and I'm going to meet up with her on the 31st when all the Group B-ers get into the Keio. :P Jetlag? Bah, she'll be fine. xD

Muffles
July 18th, 2011, 17:00
This is a car that a dealer has found for me but:

2 years shaken
Winter and summer tyres
11 years old
Has about 120,000km on the clock

The asking price is ¥350,000. Does that sound like a good deal?

uthinkimlost?
July 18th, 2011, 17:04

2 years shaken
Winter and summer tyres
11 years old

I'd cringe at that, but the inspection bit is good. white or yellow plate?

Muffles
July 18th, 2011, 19:14
Erm white plate.

Muffles
July 18th, 2011, 22:30
Kay thanks everyone, this has been most helpful (:

word
July 19th, 2011, 09:19
Offered in my prefecture for 15man, thought I'd post it for comparison (I dunno the year model; I assume it's old):

> Red Diahatsu Mira (yellow plate).
>
> Low mileage (about 70,000km = 44,000miles),
> Almost 2 years shaken (good til April 2013!!), taxes paid,
> 4WD,
> ABS braking (keeps your brakes from locking up on snow/ice),
> Summer AND Winter tires (on separate rims),
> Ski/board racks,
> ipod ready

UPGRAYEDD
July 19th, 2011, 10:50

2 years shaken
Winter and summer tyres
11 years old

Pass that one up and keep looking.

Muffles
July 19th, 2011, 14:19
Offered in my prefecture for 15man, thought I'd post it for comparison (I dunno the year model; I assume it's old):
oh wow :/

Jojo
July 19th, 2011, 15:55
dealers are a rip off

GOKU SSJ4
July 19th, 2011, 16:35
Depends a lot on what the car is. "white plate" could mean pretty much anything but for 15man you can be sure it's a piece of shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

UPGRAYEDD
July 19th, 2011, 19:48
I think the quality threshold for a white plate is about 20 man. Anything under you are risking POS. Anything above, assuming you are not getting ripped off, should be decent enough to survive your JET stint in good condition.

Jojo
July 19th, 2011, 22:46
For those of you who are more comfortable buying second hand/not worried about owning a non-japanese car there are a lot of crazy cheap euro cars (usually white plate) being sold private or by small dealers. I have seen things like 2002 Audi's with 70,000km in g/c for around 15-25 man... and thats a crap load of car for the price. I just bought a nice Alfa romeo for a decent price

Tyr
July 20th, 2011, 05:50
Looks like they're stepping up trying to get money out of me, saying how much they had to pay their successor and how they've bought more since then, an armchair alone costing a bazillion quatloos or whathaveyou. Gah.

For those of you who are more comfortable buying second hand/not worried about owning a non-japanese car there are a lot of crazy cheap euro cars (usually white plate) being sold private or by small dealers. I have seen things like 2002 Audi's with 70,000km in g/c for around 15-25 man... and thats a crap load of car for the price. I just bought a nice Alfa romeo for a decent price
Acually from Europe you mean? Or Europe made for the Japanese market?
Over here there's quite a market for second hand Japanese cars- their shaken (spl?) standards being a lot higher than the MOT. Would be most odd if in turn we send our bangers over there...somehow.

Jojo
July 20th, 2011, 07:18
Over here there's quite a market for second hand Japanese cars- their shaken (spl?) standards being a lot higher than the MOT. Would be most odd if in turn we send our bangers over there...somehow.
Lol no no - as in foreign made (usually European) originally sold in Japan - and now cheap second hand...

Page
July 20th, 2011, 08:54
tell them to shove it up their ass. Their poor decision with their pred doesn't mean you have to do the same.

jwkelley
July 20th, 2011, 09:34

Japanese used cars is one of the major industries in vladivostok russia.

Hikari
July 21st, 2011, 09:24
One thing my friend is selling to his successor is his phone

It's very simple if your dates overlap. He gets out of a cancellation fee and the noob gets a working iPhone from day 1 (I waited weeks for mine) without start up costs.

Jojo
July 21st, 2011, 13:12
One thing my friend is selling to his successor is his phone

It's very simple if your dates overlap. He gets out of a cancellation fee and the noob gets a working iPhone from day 1 (I waited weeks for mine) without start up costs.so your friend is fine with having a phone in japan still in his name? cause im damn sure softbank wouldnt let him just change the contract to his replacement

Hikari
July 21st, 2011, 13:15
so your friend is fine with having a phone in japan still in his name? cause im damn sure softbank wouldnt let him just change the contract to his replacement

Why are you sure?

They are letting them transfer the contract and change the name.

The only catch is they would only do it if both of them came in together.

Hikari
July 21st, 2011, 13:24
It might be a every softbank is different thing but there is only the same two girls in the store here and they know us all very well so that may help

maruchan
June 28th, 2012, 09:00
Hello. I got an email from the person I will replace saying "I am leaving lots of things for you if you don't want it you can just get rid of it". Then they listed everything and it sounds like I will end up in a house full of their old garbage. Would it be rude to tell them to just get rid of it before I arrive? Or are they not obligated to take care of it?

Lianwen
June 28th, 2012, 09:04
Hello. I got an email from the person I will replace saying "I am leaving lots of things for you if you don't want it you can just get rid of it". Then they listed everything and it sounds like I will end up in a house full of their old garbage. Would it be rude to tell them to just get rid of it before I arrive? Or are they not obligated to take care of it?

A JET I know is doing this to her successor. I don't think it'd be rude to ask them to get rid of it if you don't want it. When you say garbage, what exactly are they leaving you that you don't want?

Eudox
June 28th, 2012, 09:07
If you don't want it, tell them to get rid of it (and the sooner the better). If it's useful stuff then they should be able to sell or give it to someone else easily enough; if it's junk then they just don't want to try and get rid of it (and possibly pay the cost of disposing of it).

If you suspect they won't get rid of everything you don't want you might even want to go as far as talking to your supervisor about it to ensure the place is not full of junk when you arrive.

Jiggit
June 28th, 2012, 09:09
If you can make them throw it away then do so because it's a massive pain in the ass but there's nothing to stop them from completely ignoring you and leaving it all there anyway.

maruchan
June 28th, 2012, 09:09
Thank you for your reply. Things like 2 old dressers a guitar an old computer and a keyboard (music). I'm not a musician so I will not use these things so I think it will be a pain worrying about getting rid of it when I arrive.

Jiggit
June 28th, 2012, 09:12
Doesn't sound like junk to me...

maruchan
June 28th, 2012, 09:17
Doesn't sound like junk to me...

One man's junk is another man's treasure I suppose. It's still junk to me.

I will try to see if I can get them to deal with it before they leave. Thank you all again.

Jiggit
June 28th, 2012, 09:20
One man's junk is another man's treasure I suppose. It's still junk to me.

I will try to see if I can get them to deal with it before they leave. Thank you all again.

Yeah I'm just saying if you need to get rid of that you should be able to fairly easy just by selling it. My apartment was full of completely useless worthless crap that apparently no-one knows how I can get rid of.

Ini
June 28th, 2012, 09:21
unless you are in a big town or you are buying your preds car getting any furniture in your first few weeks will be tricky so i'd get the dressers or you'll be living out your suitcase like a homeless.

as for the instruments tell them to get rid of them if you dont want them.

maruchan
June 28th, 2012, 09:31
unless you are in a big town or you are buying your preds car getting any furniture in your first few weeks will be tricky so i'd get the dressers or you'll be living out your suitcase like a homeless.

as for the instruments tell them to get rid of them if you dont want them.

I guess I didn't think of that. It sounds like the person lived their with his girlfriend so they had lots of things.

patjs
June 28th, 2012, 10:05
I dunno, who knows what condition the place was in when your pred arrived. I arrived to a place full of old shit and left it in MUCH better condition. But yeah I did leave a few things like a guitar or books that have just been passed down on and on throughout JET history.

I don't think it's such a terrible thing. If it really bothers you trash the stuff or give it away. Leaving JETs have a lot of stuff to worry about and usually the last thing you are thinking of is paying money to trash some random piece of furniture...

maruchan
June 28th, 2012, 11:53
The only thing that worries me is that people are saying it is hard to dump things so I hope it won't be too much of a headache if there is a lot of things I will need to get rid of.

Eudox
June 28th, 2012, 12:44
@patjs: Sure, throwing away garbage is the last thing you want to be worrying about before leaving, but since when is it not common courtesy to clean an apartment before moving out? At least in America if the tenant was concluding a lease rthey'd be required to remove absolutely everything from the house. The only difference here is that people don't think they're finishing a lease since their successor generally moves in very soon after they leave.

This. Although a few of the people in my area did inherit houses full of crap, it was generally okay for those people: they only stayed a year, their houses were big, some of the crap, like a million futons, came in handy every now and again.

My house is pretty small and if my pred had left any more crap than he did I would've been super pissed.

MJN
June 28th, 2012, 13:33
I got the other end of the stick, I got almost literally nothing, but I've stockpiled the apartment with garbage for the day I leave and have a successor to pass it onto.

patjs
June 29th, 2012, 10:18
Honestly, it will be a headache for someone. Whether it's a headache for you or your pred depends on how nice they are.

@patjs: Sure, throwing away garbage is the last thing you want to be worrying about before leaving, but since when is it not common courtesy to clean an apartment before moving out? At least in America if the tenant was concluding a lease rthey'd be required to remove absolutely everything from the house. The only difference here is that people don't think they're finishing a lease since their successor generally moves in very soon after they leave.

Well garbage, yeah of course it's not cool to leave actual garbage. I didn't say it was ok to leave trash. But old furniture and stuff that came with the house or an instrument or something? I don't think it's a big deal.

I know some JETs actually have basically standard modern apartments that need to be cleared out and inspected and everything at the end of the lease. Others don't really sign anything. I didn't. The BOE owns the lease and all appliances. People just kind of handed down things. I know others places are like this too. So it might not be that people are leaving "garbage" but they feel no obligation to clear out a huge house, especially of things that were just passed on.

Eudox
June 29th, 2012, 10:35
People just kind of handed down things. I know others places are like this too. So it might not be that people are leaving "garbage" but they feel no obligation to clear out a huge house, especially of things that were just passed on.

Just because it's always happened doesn't mean it's right (even though this is Japan we're talking about). I think most people are happy to have some stuff to use as soon as they move in, but that doesn't mean their pred isn't responsible for disposing of things if they are specifically asked to.

Jiggit
June 29th, 2012, 10:42
I don't think anyone's disagreeing that you should try to get rid of stuff for you successor but there's also no repercussions if you're too lazy or selfish to be bothered. So be warned is all.

word
June 29th, 2012, 18:14
Honestly, man, it's not a couple of guitars and dressers you should be worried about; it's all the sh*t he's not telling you about; the drawers full of rusty, mismatched cutlery, the cabinet full of blackened, scratched, oily cooking pots, the greasy, dusty, inexplicable spices and bags of beans, the bottles of long-expired vitamins, old toothbrushes, mostly-empty cheap first-aid kits, feminine hygiene products, and rotting boxes of cleaning supplies under the bathroom sink, the closet full of old bicycle innertubes, dull garden tools, a grime-encrusted, broken fishtank, the cheap, crappy coffeemaker that's missing four pieces, and moldy piles of "useful lesson plans" and "elementary supplies."

If you don't have all that sh*t to deal with as soon as you show up, count yourself among the luckier JETs.

atheistwithfaith
June 29th, 2012, 22:09
Agree with word 100% and also I would stress the point someone said earlier of telling him you don't want it as soon as possible. Garbage collection in Japan is a pain in the ASS in some places. In my city, some kinds of garbage are only collected once a month and other kinds of garbage you have to call up a the actual waste disposal department and book an appointment to get it removed like 2-3 weeks in advance (and pay 1000 yen).

It's not like what you are probably used to, every day is a different kind of garbage -- in my city we have to separate garbage into 7 different categories. Mental I tells ya.

patjs
July 1st, 2012, 00:04

gingerbread
July 1st, 2012, 10:36
Thank you for your reply. Things like 2 old dressers a guitar an old computer and a keyboard (music). I'm not a musician so I will not use these things so I think it will be a pain worrying about getting rid of it when I arrive.

This dude has one month to get rid of this stuff... you will have at least one year to get rid of it, and also potentially get money for it. I don't see what the big deal is with just having him leave it. But then again, I moved in to a completely empty apartment. I would have been thrilled for a greasy plate and a rusty fork, let alone a dresser.

But I do know JETs who arrived to closets full of terrible pornography and rotting bags of food so I can see a concern about garbage. But regular "stuff..." NABD

Eudox
July 1st, 2012, 13:05
But regular "stuff..." NABD

I understand this, but my point is that if the OP says they don't want it, that person has a responsibility to get rid of it before they leave. It's the same as any renting situation in your own country - just because it's in Japan doesn't mean it's okay.

Also, they've actually had a year to get rid of it.

MJN
July 2nd, 2012, 08:51
Honestly, man, it's not a couple of guitars and dressers you should be worried about; it's all the sh*t he's not telling you about; the drawers full of rusty, mismatched cutlery, the cabinet full of blackened, scratched, oily cooking pots, the greasy, dusty, inexplicable spices and bags of beans, the bottles of long-expired vitamins, old toothbrushes, mostly-empty cheap first-aid kits, feminine hygiene products, and rotting boxes of cleaning supplies under the bathroom sink, the closet full of old bicycle innertubes, dull garden tools, a grime-encrusted, broken fishtank, the cheap, crappy coffeemaker that's missing four pieces, and moldy piles of "useful lesson plans" and "elementary supplies."

If you don't have all that sh*t to deal with as soon as you show up, count yourself among the luckier JETs.

Seriously how could anyone do that? I'd have the decency to throw it all out, or at the very least sort it ready to be thrown out.

If someone left me old crap I'd harvest their DNA and wait for a time I can commit crime in their name.

gingerbread
July 2nd, 2012, 09:27
I understand this, but my point is that if the OP says they don't want it, that person has a responsibility to get rid of it before they leave. It's the same as any renting situation in your own country - just because it's in Japan doesn't mean it's okay.

Also, they've actually had a year to get rid of it.

Oh yeah, i agree that if the OP says "no" then the polite thing is to get rid of it.

I just wanted to caution the OP about giving their successor the idea that they don't want -anything-... It's a pain in the ass to spend money re-furnishing an apartment that you may only live in for a year. I would have much preferred to inherit someone's shit, guitar and all.

Jiggit
July 2nd, 2012, 09:46
that person has a responsibility to get rid of it before they leave

lol.

Eudox
July 2nd, 2012, 10:40
lol.

I know, I know - most JETs are just pathetic man-children with no sense of responsibility. But that doesn't make it okay.

Gizmotech
July 2nd, 2012, 11:41
Honestly, man, it's not a couple of guitars and dressers you should be worried about; it's all the sh*t he's not telling you about; the drawers full of rusty, mismatched cutleryCheck, the cabinet full of blackened, scratched, oily cooking potsCheck, the greasy, dusty, inexplicable spices and bags of beansCheck, the bottles of long-expired vitamins, old toothbrushesCheck, mostly-empty cheap first-aid kitsCheck, feminine hygiene products, and rotting boxes of cleaning supplies under the bathroom sinkCheck, the closet full of old bicycle innertubesCheck, dull garden tools, a grime-encrusted, broken fishtank, the cheap, crappy coffeemaker that's missing four piecesCheck, and moldy piles of "useful lesson plans" and "elementary supplies."Check

Do I win a prize? I had all of this moving in, and I didn't realize it until I started rooting through the apartment.... Sneaky guy before me hid it rather well.

Jiggit
July 2nd, 2012, 12:30
And a cuddly toy!

word
July 2nd, 2012, 13:24
Yep, it was all that and more; took me over a year to get rid of it all (hell, I only recently got rid of this horrid couch-shaped object he left). Before he left, one of my eikaiwa members apparently dropped by to help him clean the bathroom and later told me she was kinda horrified by the state of the place. "I don't think he knows how to clean," she said.

Ini
July 2nd, 2012, 13:53
when my friend moved in they found a box in the cupboard that had a snes in it, 20 games, a book on lesbian erotica and a 7/11 bag full of dildos and strapons. name one person on this earth who wouldn't want that as a welcome basket in a new home?

Tyr
July 2nd, 2012, 14:46
when my friend moved in they found a box in the cupboard that had a snes in it, 20 games, a book on lesbian erotica and a 7/11 bag full of dildos and strapons. name one person on this earth who wouldn't want that as a welcome basket in a new home?

The pope.

Ini
July 2nd, 2012, 14:48
oh really?
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/images/2008/12/416005.jpg

MJN
July 3rd, 2012, 09:21
oh really?
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/images/2008/12/416005.jpg

I get the feeling I do not want to click on this at work.

word
July 3rd, 2012, 09:27
You are quite right; you don't.