PDA

View Full Version : UK Flight Details

chiptooth
July 13th, 2011, 02:31
They're out! Yeah!

And I'm on Virgin Atlantic... boo for the tiny carry-on allowance!

Does anybody out there have any bright ideas about surviving Tokyo Orientation and possibly a few days afterwards out of a 6kg unchecked bag? Eeeeeek!

Tyr
July 13th, 2011, 03:44
What was the website again?
It just clicked in my head before checking here that they were due today.
Being Edinburgh though there's nothing major for me to check.

chip: transfer stuff from your luggage to your bag at the airport?
Take a extra little bag with you maybe and then fill it at the airport.

Strange_quark
July 13th, 2011, 03:49
What was the website again?
It just clicked in my head before checking here that they were due today.
Being Edinburgh though there's nothing major for me to check.

chip: transfer stuff from your luggage to your bag at the airport?
Take a extra little bag with you maybe and then fill it at the airport.

JET Preparation Page (http://www.myushop.net/preparation/index.html)

You should have no trouble surviving with a carry-on. Just pack a load of light tops, and some casual stuff. If you run out, there's a laundry service or you can wash your things in a sink - it'll soon dry.

I survived 6 days with a suitcase for LO. It's easily doable.

chiptooth
July 13th, 2011, 06:25
The issue is the weight, not living out of a single bag. Seriously, 6kg is a pretty skimpy allowance, particularly when a lightweight suitcase (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelaccessories/8221902/A-guide-to-the-best-lightweight-suitcases.html) comes in at around half that when it's empty. A lighter bag? Not much use if you've got a suit to protect ahead of two days of business dress. Might be a case (no pun intended) of taking it in the pocket for a heavier carry-on, just this once.

It's a puzzle for sure.

MJN
July 13th, 2011, 07:06
JET Preparation Page (http://www.myushop.net/preparation/index.html)

You should have no trouble surviving with a carry-on. Just pack a load of light tops, and some casual stuff. If you run out, there's a laundry service or you can wash your things in a sink - it'll soon dry.

I survived 6 days with a suitcase for LO. It's easily doable.

Am I right in thinking we're required to sent all but one bag (all but presumably our hand luggage) to the C.O. pretty much as soon as we land which we won't see until we get there?

And, we're required to wear a suit/business attire during the Tokyo orientation?

So, what do people plan on doing with suits? I doubt very much they'll come out hand luggage in a reasonably decent looking condition. I take it we have some access to suitcases, so we can put our suits in a carrier on top and take it out quickly in Tokyo before sending off our cases?

Strange_quark
July 13th, 2011, 07:26
Don't take A suitcase carry on, just use a bag.
Suits usually don't wrinkle badly, especially if you roll them. Just take one jacket.

Your hold luggage is what's taken on to your placement at the airport. Your carry on and "hand luggage" goes to the hotel.

Definitely business attire. There'll probably be an iron or a press. If you hang your suit when you get to the hotel it'll be fine. Mine survived four days in a tiny case before orientation and it was wrinkle free.

There have been many reiterations of "not enough time to swap luggage about". Don't stress about not being 100% crisp. Travelling best part of 6000 miles - it's practically a requirement, I'm sure.

Tyr
July 13th, 2011, 07:36
The hotel will have irons available somewhere surely?

And there'll be plenty of time to swap stuff over in the luggage, its not a race against the clock, we've got to go through customs and all sorts.

MJN
July 13th, 2011, 07:45
Don't take A suitcase carry on, just use a bag.
Suits usually don't wrinkle badly, especially if you roll them. Just take one jacket.

Your hold luggage is what's taken on to your placement at the airport. Your carry on and "hand luggage" goes to the hotel.

Definitely business attire. There'll probably be an iron or a press. If you hang your suit when you get to the hotel it'll be fine. Mine survived four days in a tiny case before orientation and it was wrinkle free.

There have been many reiterations of "not enough time to swap luggage about". Don't stress about not being 100% crisp. Travelling best part of 6000 miles - it's practically a requirement, I'm sure.

Yea, I planned on taking a bag in the hold, and as carry on just a backpack (+laptop case) that will fit my stuff. I'm just not sure if I could get my suit in my hand luggage, really.

Strange_quark
July 13th, 2011, 07:52
According to the BA website:
"You are allowed one piece of hand baggage plus a laptop or handbag."

So, I'm lucky that my handbag just happens to big enough to fit my laptop... *whistles*

I'm taking two suitcases. Make more sense than shipping my winter stuff - arranging shipping looks like a total pain in the rear.

I'm sure there will be an iron. There's also a laundry service at the hotel if you're desperate and an idiot.

atheistwithfaith
July 13th, 2011, 07:58
6kg is a right pain, especially as a bag will be 0.5-1kg, but not impossible.

I have rolled suit jackets before (linen casual, not business ones) and it does wrinkle enough that they require pressing/careful ironing. If I can bring one of those semi-hard cases that are carry-on size it should be fine - fold it but put some tissue paper on the inside of the fold (if you get me...). That helps stop the suit material rubbing together and reduces wrinkles/creases. Just make sure you get your suit of your bag as soon as you get to the hotel.

Casual clothes should be OK - just bring a change of t-shirt/top and wear the trousers on the flight.

The real shit though if that Virgin doesn't seem to allow laptop as a separate carry-on thing so that is gonna take away enough 2kg or so.

Eudox
July 13th, 2011, 08:01
Argh what!? Only hand luggage!? Must've missed the memo on that one. I thought it was if you had two suitcases you send one on to your CO.... I may have to find a better carry-on case.

Eudox
July 13th, 2011, 08:01
Double double post post.

Strange_quark
July 13th, 2011, 08:03
6kg is a right pain, especially as a bag will be 0.5-1kg, but not impossible.

I have rolled suit jackets before (linen casual, not business ones) and it does wrinkle enough that they require pressing/careful ironing. If I can bring one of those semi-hard cases that are carry-on size it should be fine - fold it but put some tissue paper on the inside of the fold (if you get me...). That helps stop the suit material rubbing together and reduces wrinkles/creases. Just make sure you get your suit of your bag as soon as you get to the hotel.

Casual clothes should be OK - just bring a change of t-shirt/top and wear the trousers on the flight.

Linen ALWAYS wrinkles. I iron my linen trousers and they wrinkle right after. Cotton suits are ok though - I think the lining helps for some reason...

I'm using a weekend bag (from paperchase because I'm addicted to that place). It's a stiff, laminate cotton. Perfect! Here's another tip - you can "line" your bag with your jacket, and fill it in with your other stuff. That should keeps creases to a minimum too.

Also, if there aren't any irons - there should be a kettle. Boil it and use the steam on the suit. Failing that, run a shower and hang your suit in the bathroom.

atheistwithfaith
July 13th, 2011, 08:06
Just weighed my laptop. That is gonna take 2.6kg of my 6kg. Ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

Alphabet
July 13th, 2011, 08:13
ESID but when I got to my prefecture they asked if I wanted to go to my luggage and get anything out. You can probably request to do this. So you just gotta survive in Tokyo for the time you're there. Also, once you get your bags you can move some things around. Load your carry on UP with stuff.

Alternatively: Tokyo shopping spree.

kyaillya
July 13th, 2011, 08:23
Well I'm taking it as outlined in the Handbook. Too much conflicting information and I really don't see how they can allow one rule for some people and another rule for the rest. I'm bringing a medium size case and hand luggage to TO, and sending on a Large case to my CO.

Flying Virgin too - sucks about them counting your laptop and handluggage as one :(

bigbennynz
July 13th, 2011, 08:44
Argh what!? Only hand luggage!? Must've missed the memo on that one. I thought it was if you had two suitcases you send one on to your CO.... I may have to find a better carry-on case.

We we're told that we are allowed one of our checked in bags, our carry on bag, and a laptop. The laptop will have to go on our laps though.

Eudox
July 13th, 2011, 08:47
We we're told that we are allowed one of our checked in bags, our carry on bag, and a laptop. The laptop will have to go on our laps though.

Um, sweet? So they actually are doing different things for different countries? Oh well, sounds good to me.

atheistwithfaith
July 13th, 2011, 08:52
Yeh. It is just the UK who has these weird rules afaik. :'(

lilyanphino
July 13th, 2011, 13:09
I feel really bad for you UKers with all those restrictions. I'm just really hoping that no one cares that my "laptop bag/personal item" happens to be a backpack.

Tarquin
July 13th, 2011, 15:31
They never weigh carry on baggage, just make sure it's not too large, and don't make it look like you're struggling by carrying it through the airport.

Remember that at the airport there are flights with hundreds of airlines, the security staff aren't going to know/care what flight you're on or what the restrictions are for your airline. They just want to make sure you don't have any bombs and shit.

Wear your suit jacket onto the plane then fold it and put it on top of other bags in the overhead locker. It will mean it creases less.

Also you can always store extra stuff into your checked baggage then just move it to your carryon bag when you land in Tokyo. But do it just after you get your bag in the reclaim area, DON'T go through the doors as you'll be faced with a wall of genki JETs who will lead you like a special needs child to a bus without letting you deviate.

Muffles
July 13th, 2011, 17:28
They never weigh carry on baggage, just make sure it's not too large, and don't make it look like you're struggling by carrying it through the airport.
Everytime I've flown they've weighed my carry on.

This is all getting so confusing. I mean sure 6kg isn't great but it's not impossible. Also aren't you allowed to take a carry on bag and something else? So why are people trying to shove their laptop in their carry on?

uthinkimlost?
July 13th, 2011, 18:07
Everytime I've flown they've weighed my carry on.

This is all getting so confusing. I mean sure 6kg isn't great but it's not impossible. Also aren't you allowed to take a carry on bag and something else? So why are people trying to shove their laptop in their carry on?

Some peoples' something else might not be a laptop.

chiptooth
July 13th, 2011, 18:07
I'm with you there Muffles, every flight I've ever taken has weighed and dimension checked my carry-on bag. That's for international flights and domestic.

As for laptops or other items outside of bags, maybe this (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/handbaggage.jsp) link will clear things up. On the Virgin flight, the only additional permitted cabin items are:

A handbag, pocketbook or purse i.e. which is appropriate to normal travelling dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles which could otherwise be regarded as baggage.
An overcoat or wrap.
An umbrella (pointed or/and sharp prohibited) or walking stick.
A small camera and/or pair of binoculars.
A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
Infants food for consumption in flight.
A small amount of duty free goods.
Personal headphones may be used as long as they are fitted with the standard 3.5mm jack.

What's more, further down the page (see General Advice), Virgin advise that your laptop should be included inside your cabin baggage as it's not insured elsewhere.

"It is important however that you pack valuable or fragile items such as jewellery, keys, money/credit cards, cameras, laptops and other personal electrical items in your cabin baggage allowance and keep it with you at all times. If you decide to pack them in your checked in baggage you should have them adequately insured as our liability for damage to these items is strictly limited"

This means that our 6kg needs to include:

a) Business dress for at least three days (two at TO, one to meet Supervisor at CO)
b) any valuable electrical gear
c) potentially enough other clothes to cover arriving at CO before our luggage does

Easy, eh? I'm off to buy some luggage scales to weigh my possessions...

melty
July 13th, 2011, 18:08
The hotel will have irons available somewhere surely?

And there'll be plenty of time to swap stuff over in the luggage, its not a race against the clock, we've got to go through customs and all sorts.

There is lots of of time to rearrange things in your suitcase/repack in Narita airport. You have to wait in line for a bus...so just re-pack then :)

I am pretty sure CLAIR sets up a room for ironing (everyone'll have the same problem!!)

I took a canvas bag as carry on (I was flying with virgin, and worried about the weight.) BUT they never actually weighed by hand luggage. When I got to Tokyo I just went to comme ca and bought a small cheap suitcase with wheels (for just over 1000 yen) It was then easy peasy to carry everything back to my prefecture.

melty
July 13th, 2011, 18:16
a) Business dress for at least three days (two at TO, one to meet Supervisor at CO)
b) any valuable electrical gear
c) potentially enough other clothes to cover arriving at CO before our luggage does

Easy, eh? I'm off to buy some luggage scales to weigh my possessions...

Ooor
a) what you need for the flight
b) electrical gear

Then add the clothes for orientation on the top of your main luggage, so you can add it to your hand luggage in Narita. (then you don't have to worry about weight.)

p.s. There are several shops and convenience stores just outside of the keio plaza, so you can just buy shampoo/conditioner/toothbrush/toothpaste once you arrive.

chiptooth
July 13th, 2011, 18:20
a) what you need for the flight
b) electrical gear

Then add the clothes for orientation on the top of your main luggage, so you can add it to your hand luggage in Narita. (then you don't have to worry about weight.)

Melty - good one. Problem solved. Thanks.

Tyr
July 13th, 2011, 18:59
According to the BA website:
"You are allowed one piece of hand baggage plus a laptop or handbag."

So, I'm lucky that my handbag just happens to big enough to fit my laptop... *whistles*

I'm taking two suitcases. Make more sense than shipping my winter stuff - arranging shipping looks like a total pain in the rear.

I'm sure there will be an iron. There's also a laundry service at the hotel if you're desperate and an idiot.

We're allowed a seperate laptop? Didn't the guy get asked this and say no?
If yes....that is cool, I've a shoulder back which fits my laptop too....- and a few other things if I want....

Checking BAs site they say they do have an actual weight limit on hand luggage, curse them!

Wonder if the guy was righ and the rules are seperate on ours or if he was wrong and its standard rules.

Strange_quark
July 13th, 2011, 20:23
The weight limit is 23kg on the BA hand luggage front. Says so in the table on their site: ergo, no limit because anyone who Can fit 23kg into a carry on bag deserves a medal.

Tarquin
July 13th, 2011, 21:40
Ask Kalliea, I’m sure she’s done it.

melty (and I) are spot on in that you just move stuff at narita.
sucks that you’ve all had your hand luggage weighed, I’ve never had it happen to me, nor seen it happen to anyone else...

Tarquin
July 13th, 2011, 21:41
Ask Kalliea, I’m sure she’s done it.

melty (and I) are spot on in that you just move stuff at narita.
sucks that you’ve all had your hand luggage weighed, I’ve never had it happen to me, nor seen it happen to anyone else...

MCAS
July 14th, 2011, 01:29
I feel really bad for you UKers with all those restrictions. I'm just really hoping that no one cares that my "laptop bag/personal item" happens to be a backpack.

They won't care. Everytime I've flown I've interpreted the carry on rules as one small duffel/travel bag and then a bag about the size of a backpack. The rules of thumb with carry ons is that one needs to be able to fit in the above compartment and the other needs to be able to fit under the seat in front of you.

Remember that at the airport there are flights with hundreds of airlines, the security staff aren't going to know/care what flight you're on or what the restrictions are for your airline. They just want to make sure you don't have any bombs and shit.

Wear your suit jacket onto the plane then fold it and put it on top of other bags in the overhead locker. It will mean it creases less.

This. That's what I'm doing. I'll be wearing my suit jacket as a sports coat on the way over to avoid creases. Also, any hotel worth it's salt will have irons and ironing boards, so you don't need to be anal retentive about it.

Froren
July 14th, 2011, 10:44
You can pack your suit jacket in your carry-on, then when you get to the hotel room, hang up your jacket in the bathroom. Close the door and take a hot shower, the steam will get rid of any wrinkles.

charmed_23
July 14th, 2011, 19:47
When I came here 3 years ago, I checked in 2 bags that held 10kgs each. One was a lightweight suitcase, and the other a sports bag. I also had a hand luggage bag and my laptop. When I got to Tokyo, I took the 10kg suitcase that I had checked, to orientation. I sent the sports bag to my CO. Problem solved.

Tarquin
July 15th, 2011, 14:06
I'm pretty sure that AJET will have set up a courtesy room which has irons etc in for you to use to sort your stuff out. I just wore wrinked clothing.

MCAS. Just carry the jacket off the plane though / hang it over your bag or something because there is no way in HELL you'll be able to handle wearing it in the heat outside.

atheistwithfaith
July 16th, 2011, 20:49
Got a response from Virgin to see how lenient they will be with carry-on shiz:

"Thank you for your email, I apologise for the delayed response.

As you are aware, laptops are permitted onboard our aircraft. However, a laptop will be considered as a piece of hand luggage; therefore, their carriage is subject to our cabin baggage limits.

Unfortunately, we cannot authorise an increase to a passenger's free baggage allowance. We're unable to authorise additional carry on items due to space, safety and security implications.

Since you are travelling in Economy class, a laptop cannot be taken in addition to another piece of hand luggage.

With or without the laptop, your hand baggage should not exceed 6 kgs. If it exceeds the cabin baggage allowance, you will need to re-pack your bag and any extra items needs to be shifted to your checked-in baggage. "

Damn you Branson!

AnruiUkimi
July 16th, 2011, 23:39
Dumb ass question, what day are y'all getting into Japan? The 31st?

lilyanphino
July 17th, 2011, 01:11
Everyone in Group B will be arriving on the 31st.

Muffles
July 17th, 2011, 03:50
Got a response from Virgin to see how lenient they will be with carry-on shiz:

"Thank you for your email, I apologise for the delayed response.

As you are aware, laptops are permitted onboard our aircraft. However, a laptop will be considered as a piece of hand luggage; therefore, their carriage is subject to our cabin baggage limits.

Unfortunately, we cannot authorise an increase to a passenger's free baggage allowance. We're unable to authorise additional carry on items due to space, safety and security implications.

Since you are travelling in Economy class, a laptop cannot be taken in addition to another piece of hand luggage.

With or without the laptop, your hand baggage should not exceed 6 kgs. If it exceeds the cabin baggage allowance, you will need to re-pack your bag and any extra items needs to be shifted to your checked-in baggage. "

Damn you Branson!
I thought we were allowed to take another bag on the plane as well as our 6kg luggage?!

edit: Actually my friend called up and the airline told him he was allowed to bring a laptop as well as the 6kg luggage. Why are there so many conflicting things being said?

atheistwithfaith
July 17th, 2011, 07:13
I thought we were allowed to take another bag on the plane as well as our 6kg luggage?!

edit: Actually my friend called up and the airline told him he was allowed to bring a laptop as well as the 6kg luggage. Why are there so many conflicting things being said?

My response was from their customer services centre in India and they tend to give replies which stick exactly to the letter of the information/rules they have in front of them (plus my experiences with Virgin Media is that the staff at their Indian call centre are useless). It might be that in practice they have more leniency.

I might call them up as well and see if I get any different information - will report back when I get round to it!

MJN
July 17th, 2011, 07:17
it depends hugely on the flight, how busy it is, how lenient they decide to be at the airport. It can be hit or miss.

One good way of getting round the one bag including laptop limit is to simply tie the laptop bag to a regular backpack and be subtle about it.

Tyr
July 24th, 2011, 23:23
Anyone flown with BA before?
I'm wondering how much I could get away with putting in my 'laptop bag', indeed whether I could get away with said bag being my backpack rather than my shoulder bag.

MJN
July 25th, 2011, 00:50
BA can be surprisingly lax. I've only flow with them transatlantic, rather than trans-asia, so no idea if policies differ for the different flights. (I know they tend to favour 777's for asian destinations, with 747's going to NA).

I know my dad's got away with a briefcase as a "laptop bag" for a US flight, if that's a guide, in addition to a rucksack and some shopping bags. I think as long as you don't look like you're struggling, chances are you'll be fine.

What you want to risk taking is entirely up to yourself, but BA will virtually never, ever check the weight of hand luggage unless it's grossly oversize, you really look like you're struggling or the plane is full.

Strange_quark
July 25th, 2011, 01:27
The BA website says (as I've stated before):

Adults and children(aged 2 and over): One bag and One laptop-sized bag, handbag or briefcase
23kg (51lbs). You must be able to lift the bag into the overhead locker unaided.

I think they're more concerned about size rather than its actual form - as long as you can shove it under the seat in front, no one's going to care IMO. Make sure it's within the dimensions:

Your laptop or handbag is up to the dimensions 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in), including the handle and pockets.
Your laptop or handbag must fit under the seat in front of you.

Your best bet is to ring BA and ask them, mentioning that it's within those size and weight guidelines and see what they say.

Tarquin
July 25th, 2011, 08:43
BTW, I dunno if you guys can do this (you need the reference number from BA for the booking, and that's also assuming you've all got individual ones which is probably not true) BUT, If you can use the "Manage My Booking" page you can add extra baggage for about 20% less.
It's a massive longshot that you'll be able to log in, but it's worth a try at least.

Also don't forget your mileage cards kids! get those miles! (Sign up with BA online now and then just give them your number when you check in, you don't get the card automatically anyway)

atheistwithfaith
July 25th, 2011, 10:10
BTW, I dunno if you guys can do this (you need the reference number from BA for the booking, and that's also assuming you've all got individual ones which is probably not true) BUT, If you can use the "Manage My Booking" page you can add extra baggage for about 20% less.
It's a massive longshot that you'll be able to log in, but it's worth a try at least.

Also don't forget your mileage cards kids! get those miles! (Sign up with BA online now and then just give them your number when you check in, you don't get the card automatically anyway)

Unfortunately at orientation they said that we cannot/are not allowed to purchase an extra bag online - we have to do it at the airport. Someone in the theatre on the first day also asked if he could collect air miles for the flight and the JET Coordinator said something along the lines of 'definitely not'.

Tarquin
July 25th, 2011, 11:18
Sod that, present the card anyway, I managed it on JAL without issue. It never hurts to ask.

Muffles
July 25th, 2011, 23:42
So my hopes of at least being able to get all my clothes into my hand luggage and only having to put in my toiletries at Narita has gone down the drain. Weighed my bag so far and it weighs 8.3kg.

Damn Virgin.

Tarquin
July 25th, 2011, 23:44
so put more in your checked bag and move that at narita too? if you’re already taking some stuff out why not take a bit more too?

Muffles
July 25th, 2011, 23:51
Yeh I know, it's just a slightly bigger pain. I am so jelly of everyone who do not have to fly with virgin right now

Tyr
July 26th, 2011, 00:25
So my hopes of at least being able to get all my clothes into my hand luggage and only having to put in my toiletries at Narita has gone down the drain. Weighed my bag so far and it weighs 8.3kg.

Damn Virgin.

Doubt they'll weigh it. I've only known ryanair to be that cheap. Just sling it over one shoulder like it weighs nothing.
If you do see them weighing bags couldn't you throw on a bunch of shirts as you get past them?

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 01:43
I don't know where people getting this whole 'they won't weigh your carry on' thing from. On all my air flights they have always weighed it. Plus I'm taking a suitcase, I won't be able to sling it over anything.

Plus plus you're flying with BA, you can pack as much as you want into your carry on :rolleyes:

Strange_quark
July 26th, 2011, 01:46
I don't know where people are getting the idea that they can take a suitcase (ie plus their carry on stuff) to the hotel.

Goes against everything we were told at LO. Ready to thump someone yelling "PAY ATTENTION!".

Virgin is officially rubbish in my mind now.

MJN
July 26th, 2011, 01:54
I don't know where people are getting the idea that they can take a suitcase (ie plus their carry on stuff) to the hotel.

Goes against everything we were told at LO. Ready to thump someone yelling "PAY ATTENTION!".

The handbooks says we can, and the UK JET desk updated their twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/ukjetprogramme) saying we can.

UK JETs should follow the baggage instructions on p19 of the Handbook, but CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE and the JET Desk if you have queries.

…ie. split your checked baggage allowance into 2, if airline permits, and take a bag/suitcase to Tokyo Orientation, as well as hand luggage.
20 Jul

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 02:00

Do you guys have a different GiH than we do? Ours says, "from Narita Airport each JET is only allowed to bring one large piece of baggage AND one regulatr [sic] size carry-on to Tokyo orientation." -p19

I know your flights out are different, but surely you'll be on the same buses as the US.

Edit: MJN types at the speed of sound.

Strange_quark
July 26th, 2011, 02:06
This is the thing - at LO, and every time I've spoken to the JET people, they've said carry on luggage only. Their twitter update just confused everything.

I don't know what to believe anymore! But there's no way I'm going to try and take a big suitcase from TO to my prefecture. It would be a nightmare.

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 02:10
This is the thing - at LO, and every time I've spoken to the JET people, they've said carry on luggage only. Their twitter update just confused everything.

I don't know what to believe anymore! But there's no way I'm going to try and take a big suitcase from TO to my prefecture. It would be a nightmare.

You can ship it from the hotel, or so I've been told.

Strange_quark
July 26th, 2011, 02:12
You can ship it from the hotel, or so I've been told.

Really? Not heard that myself. But I'd just save myself the hassle and ship it with the first suitcase at the airport. Why pay twice etc.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 02:34
I definitely heard the same thing as you Quarky :/ ah well. I'm not taking a big suitcase either, I don't see the point. After I repack at Narita my small case will have everything I need and having multiple suitcases will be one less thing to worry about at the hotel.

MJN
July 26th, 2011, 02:35
Thing about the UK luggage is that the handbook, which we got first, says we can take our hand luggage plus a single bit of hold luggage to the hotel, with an optional laptop bag which we have to sit on our laps on the bus.

Second, at LO, we were told explicitly by everyone to ignore the handbook, we were ONLY allowed the hand luggage + laptop bag in tokyo.

And now they've updated the twitter in turn to say ignore that, and we're to follow the handbook again. That is the most recent info, so I'm inclined to trust it myself, but when it doubt, there's always the JET desk to call.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 02:41
THE VOICE OF REASON

okay it makes sense now. Well I've been packing my carry on strategically so I don't see the point of taking my big heavy suitcase with me if I don't have to. How come you're taking yours MJN?

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 02:44
I definitely heard the same thing as you Quarky :/ ah well. I'm not taking a big suitcase either, I don't see the point. After I repack at Narita my small case will have everything I need and having multiple suitcases will be one less thing to worry about at the hotel.

Keep in mind you may need to meet people as soon as you arrive at your town/BoE, so if you don't have your whole suitcase you might need to get your stuff cleaned.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 02:49
I'm taking enough stuff for a week so I'm covered.

MJN
July 26th, 2011, 02:50
THE VOICE OF REASON

okay it makes sense now. Well I've been packing my carry on strategically so I don't see the point of taking my big heavysuitcase with me if I don't have to. How come you're taking yours MJN?

Not going til group C, so I've not started packing quite yet.

My main concern has been getting a suit into hand luggage for TO. I'd rather not take a massive suitcase with me to Tokyo, and I'm going to avoid it if at all possible.

If I'm allowed 2 bits of hold luggage, I'm probably taking one big suitcase + a much smaller, more carry-able case as hold luggage which I can stick my suit/TO stuff in, in addition to a backpack which I'm taking as carry-on anyway.

atheistwithfaith
July 26th, 2011, 03:18
The thing with the GIH is that it is not specific to one country - it seems to be the same one that was uploaded in PDF form on the JET Programme website. I'd say the writers of the GIH didn't have any idea that the UK travel agent would do the carry-on only thing.

I definitely remember them making a point about the fact that you cannot bring a suitcase to Tokyo Orientation.

I realise the JET twitter has confused things, but I think it is merely poorly worded. I think what they are trying to say is that:

Most airlines have a WEIGHT allowance and so with your 23kg (say if you are on a BA flight) you could split that into 2 x 11.5kg bags. Then, when you get to Narita - you send on one of those two bags and take the other with you. The thing about that system being that even though its checked luggage - it will not be as big as a massive suitcase.

Unfortunately for those on Virgin, Virgin operates a PIECE allowance. This means you can only have 1 piece of checked luggage that may weigh no more than 23kg and you may not split that 23kg into two separate bags without incurring an extra baggage charge.

IN conclusion: Virgin are gayyyyyy. Though, we are getting our flights paid for us so it is hard to get THAT annoyed.

lilyanphino
July 26th, 2011, 04:49
I'm taking enough stuff for a week so I'm covered.

I'm doing the same thing because I'd much rather carry around a carry-on than mess with one of my monster-sized suitcases. They are both getting shipped to my placement.

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 04:52
I'm doing the same thing because I'd much rather carry around a carry-on than mess with one of my monster-sized suitcases. They are both getting shipped to my placement.

How can you fit a week's worth of dress clothes into a carryon?

Strange_quark
July 26th, 2011, 04:53

Yay for thinking alike.

I hope my laptop fits in my carry on bag... might just take my suit jacket out and replace it with my laptop, shove it in my handbag, then swap them over after going through security...

Strange_quark
July 26th, 2011, 04:56

Magic.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljrkeafgSl1qa8ir9o1_r1_500.gif

If you are careful over what materials, shoes and the way you pack it ie rolling not folding it's quite easy.

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 05:02
Magic.

If you are careful over what materials, shoes and the way you pack it ie rolling not folding it's quite easy.

If you can roll your suit jacket you're a terrible person.

Given the size and weight restrictions and fitting in pajamas and evening that's remarkable. Especially since domestic flights in Japan can have even tighter restrictions.

lilyanphino
July 26th, 2011, 05:04
Magic.

It is easy. The bundle method of packing is quite useful for maximizing your luggage space.

Tyr
July 26th, 2011, 05:21
IN conclusion: Virgin are gayyyyyy. Though, we are getting our flights paid for us so it is hard to get THAT annoyed.
Were it just a free flight I'd agree but that its just due to the luck of the draw you've got them instead of someone else...You have the right to rage at will.

I saw one of the co-ordinator folk on official mention that we can take a suitcase.
Which yes, went contrary to what we were quite specifically told at orientation. They seem determined to confuse us. Even without the handbook mention...

I'm not worrying, I haven't started packing yet but I think I should be able to get a few days worth of clothes into my carry on along with my fragiles. With the laptop bag extra I can always put some of my clothes (t-shirts, pants, socks) in there.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 05:24
Wth it's not that hard. My carry-on so far has 5 tops, 2 skirts, a cardigan, suit jacket, 2 pairs of tights, 2 pj's, a dress, multiple underwear and a pair of shoes and plenty of room left. Plus stuff I'm wearing over.

I saw one of the co-ordinator folk on official mention that we can take a suitcase.
Which yes, went contrary to what we were quite specifically told at orientation.

Lol you're not talking about the miami co-ordinator are you?

Tyr
July 26th, 2011, 05:27
Lol you're not talking about the miami co-ordinator are you?
Surely once we're in Tokyo the rules are all the same?

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 05:28
If you have been paying attention, no.

Tyr
July 26th, 2011, 05:34
Well that's....daft.
What did Brits do? :(

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 05:38
Wth it's not that hard. My carry-on so far has 5 tops, 2 skirts, a cardigan, suit jacket, 2 pairs of tights, 2 pj's, a dress, multiple underwear and a pair of shoes and plenty of room left. Plus stuff I'm wearing over.

I guess my priorities for packing are different.

On this one I hate to say it, but I'm with Tyr. How on Earth would they be able to regulate whether or not you can bring one checked bag to TO like everyone else in the world? Unless the UKers ride in a second class bus or something.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 05:42
What do you need to bring for a week? I always thought that clean clothes would be a priority...

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 05:48
What do you need to bring for a week? I always thought that clean clothes would be a priority...

They are, but I'm going to great lengths to iron as little as possible. And every suit and dress shirt I've ever owned has been a wrinkle magnet.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 05:50
Ah right. None of the clothes I'm taking wrinkle :D

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 05:53

And now you're on my list. :|

okinomiyaki
July 26th, 2011, 06:01

I'm relying on the hotel having an iron otherwise all I'll have is wrinkled clothes.

MJN
July 26th, 2011, 06:37
I'm relying on the hotel having an iron otherwise all I'll have is wrinkled clothes.

Keep in mind you can hang stuff up in the bathroom with a hot running shower to help get wrinkles out. You'll probably have time to leave stuff in there for a few hours.

uthinkimlost?
July 26th, 2011, 06:44
Keep in mind you can hang stuff up in the bathroom with a hot running shower to help get wrinkles out. You'll probably have time to leave stuff in there for a few hours.

We're also sharing rooms with three other people. People who might wanna poop.

What time do the UK flights start arriving?

okinomiyaki
July 26th, 2011, 07:04
9am for me...

Hikari
July 26th, 2011, 07:11
The hotel does have an iron you can use in the computer room

Also I am pretty sure people shipped bags from the hotel last year so there's still that if you can't do it all from airport

Strange_quark
July 26th, 2011, 07:26
My suit doesn't wrinkle at all :D

My tops will though - merely because light cotton does it to annoy you >_< but that's where rolling is your friend. There'll still be wrinkles but the ironing will be less stressful.

Tyr
July 26th, 2011, 07:31

Shouldn't take that long, maybe one hour.

I'm not so concerned over wrinkles though, its not like I'm on the pull or anything.

Tarquin
July 26th, 2011, 09:13
Most airlines have a WEIGHT allowance and so with your 23kg (say if you are on a BA flight) you could split that into 2 x 11.5kg bags. Then, when you get to Narita - you send on one of those two bags and take the other with you. The thing about that system being that even though its checked luggags without incurring an extra baggage charge.

BA operate on the PIECE system too, not the weight, so you can only have ONE checked bag of 23KG, you cannot split it. It's on their website.

In fact, most do the piece system now, JAL changed in April (though gives 2 pieces to Economy passengers regardless of destination now.

They will, AJET usually set up a room with irons and stuff for you to use.

Also I am pretty sure people shipped bags from the hotel last year so there's still that if you can't do it all from airport
Yeah, you'll be able to send stuff from the airport no problem, If CLAIR etc don't offer it as a service (though they have in previous years) then the hotel certainly will.

One thing to keep in mind: If you're flying to your prefecture domestically (so Hokkaido, anywhere on Kyushu, I'm not sure exactly how far) remember that weight allowances for domestic flights with JAL are 15kg of checked baggage, not the normal 23kg. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service/bags/ I believe that ANA is 23kg but I'm too lazy to check that too, consider it homework.

Muffles
July 26th, 2011, 17:39
9am for me...
9:30 for virgin people.

lilyanphino
July 26th, 2011, 22:52
You guys are getting there so early. I don't get in until 4:00 PM, so that means it'll be 6-7 before my group reaches the hotel.

chiptooth
July 27th, 2011, 00:31
For other Virgins out there, I'm taking comfort in the following part of the UK Jet tweet:

...take a bag/suitcase to Tokyo Orientation, as well as hand luggage.I'm going to take the following

a) Carry-on: less than 6kg, containing laptop, iPod, camera etc, and not much else
b) Bag #1: less than 23kg, for TO, containing business wear lasting until Thursday, casual wear, anything that doesn't fit into Bag #2, (by weight limit)
c) Bag #2: less than 23kg, for shipping, containing pretty much everything else

Bag #1 will come to TO, and then with me on the bullet train up to Fukushima. Bag #2 will be shipped directly from Narita. Yes, I'll have to pay extra for taking bag #2 on the flight. Yes, that's cheaper than shipping it any other way.

I hope that's a fair and reasonable approach to take.

EDIT: if you're flying to your CO, then Bag #1 might need to be more like 15kg.

chiptooth
July 27th, 2011, 00:51
Check your emails kids, we've got one from JET, and there's some advice under section 3 that's very useful in relation to this thread:

You are therefore strongly advised to separate your luggage into two bags: one small carry-on bag/case containing everything you need for the Tokyo Orientation and one large check-in bag/case to be sent directly to your contracting organisation upon arrival in Tokyo. If you are flying with JAL or have chosen to pay to check in additional bags, you can either: send multiple check-in bags with the courier service on arrival and take only your hand luggage to Orientation, or, make sure one of them weighs less than 15kg and keep that with you for Orientation.

Helpful? I think so.

Tyr
July 27th, 2011, 03:32
Yeah, seems we actually can take a suitcase to TO then.
No way will I be keeping my cases to such low weights though, but then I won't be flying to my prefecture.
I wonder what the costs are for sending 2 cases rather than 1 to your prefecture.

And given the tone of the email I've just went and told my dad I'd break his legs if we don't get to the airport for 7. Weird stuff that -can't do jet if you miss the flight? Even if you pay for your own flight and get there a few hours later?

Strange_quark
July 27th, 2011, 04:43
The email said £10 to £15 (IIRC) so th most it'll probably be is £30.

atheistwithfaith
July 27th, 2011, 06:57
And given the tone of the email I've just went and told my dad I'd break his legs if we don't get to the airport for 7. Weird stuff that -can't do jet if you miss the flight? Even if you pay for your own flight and get there a few hours later?

That is even mega-earlier than I was planning to arrive (8.30am).

Strange_quark
July 27th, 2011, 07:14
I've got to be at Edinburgh at the very latest 7.20 am, which inevitably means I'll be there 6 to placate my brain.

WHOO.

Tyr
July 27th, 2011, 07:18
That is even mega-earlier than I was planning to arrive (8.30am).
The flight is 9.20, you need to be there at least 2 hours before that, the jet people say.
IMO they probally are just being scary and wouldn't totally kick you out if you were a bit late but...I don't fancy trying that theory out.

I've always been a bit super paranoid about getting to airports well before my flight. I just don't trust aeroplanes dammit.

atheistwithfaith
July 27th, 2011, 09:24
Oooh OK, you are a Scotland flyer. I thought you were getting there for 7am for one of the 1pm flights at Heathrow.