PDA

View Full Version : Money changing

Tyr
July 15th, 2011, 07:02
So what would folk say is the best thing to do to get your yen?
Where is the best value place to exchange in Britain?- or is it best to do it in Japan?

Strange_quark
July 15th, 2011, 08:41
I'm buying all mine at the post office (rates permitting).
It's commission free and the rates are usually pretty good. I'm not leaving it til Japan because the rate is dropping loads, and it could be a lot of complicated hassle. You'll probably not get very good rates either.

However, that being said - atm the post office is only offering 121 which is frankly pathetic. The Halifax is offering damn good rates at the moment, and you might want to try The Change Group or TravelMoneyNow. Ordering online might get you a better rate too.

Hikari
July 15th, 2011, 08:49
I looked my agent up on moneysupermarket and picked it up in person in London. Got really good deal.

Tarquin
July 15th, 2011, 14:11
There's a website that used to have good rates. I can't remember the name at all but I think it was something like ICE.

If you have a nationwide account you can pull the cash out here for a fee of £1 (it might have changed now, it used to be free after all) and that rate is usually the bank rate (slightly better)

I think I just used the post office cos I couldn't be bothered. Last time though I used that website.

melty
July 15th, 2011, 18:04
If you don't have time to get money (or are a little lazy like me...)

You can always wait until you're in Tokyo and use your cash card to get money out of the post office. International cards don't work in all Japanese bank machines BUT there is a post office right outside the Keio plaza that will talk to you in English and give you cash :)

Tarquin
July 15th, 2011, 19:52
7-11s now also do charge-free (japanside) for foreign cards.

kyaillya
July 15th, 2011, 19:52
I always go to Thomas Global Exchange in London - they have several branches and always seem to have the most competitive rates (currently 126.4yen to the pound).

Monseysavingexpert have a tool you can use to find the best going rates (delivery and collection) also:
Cheap Travel Money | TravelMoneyMax.com | Compare to get the best foreign currency exchange rates with the Travel Money Maximiser (http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/)

MCAS
July 22nd, 2011, 03:22
Hey, what about for us Americans. What's the best way for us to get money changed?

lilyanphino
July 22nd, 2011, 03:38
I went with Wells Fargo since my bank doesn't do money exchange. Wells Fargo seemed to have a reasonable rate and I got my yen the next day.

Melrudin
July 22nd, 2011, 05:21
I'm bringing some yen, but am going to bring most of my money in US dollars and exchange it at Keio Plaza (since it sounds like there's a money exchange place there) when I get there or I'm going to just have it in my bank account so I can withdraw it easily. Since, unfortunately, it's way too late now for me to order money from the bank.

Tyr
July 22nd, 2011, 05:47
always go to Thomas Global Exchange in London - they have several branches and always seem to have the most competitive rates (currently 126.4yen to the pound).

Monseysavingexpert have a tool you can use to find the best going rates (delivery and collection) also:
Cheap Travel Money | TravelMoneyMax.com | Compare to get the best foreign currency exchange rates with the Travel Money Maximiser (http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/)
This seems useful, thanks.
Now I've learned from my sup how much I need to pay when I get there I'm going to be ordering my dosh on the morrow.
Scary prospect to be dealing with over a thousand pounds!

I'm bringing some yen, but am going to bring most of my money in US dollars and exchange it at Keio Plaza (since it sounds like there's a money exchange place there) when I get there or I'm going to just have it in my bank account so I can withdraw it easily. Since, unfortunately, it's way too late now for me to order money from the bank.

This I'm wondering about...how much more/less expensive does it work out changing in Japan?

GOKU SSJ4
July 22nd, 2011, 10:13
Last year the rates Keio offered were absolutely terrible. I'd avoid that route if at all possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

LostInTranslation
July 22nd, 2011, 12:03
7-11s now also do charge-free (japanside) for foreign cards.

I've read this is the cheapest way to get yen in Japan. I think it really depends on what your home nation's bank charges for international transactions. For some major American banks like Chase or PNC it's 3% per transaction with a max limit between 500 and 600 USD per business day.

MCAS
July 22nd, 2011, 12:05
I did some research and I think I'm just going to do it though my bank here. They only charge about $13 to get money changed so as long as they are using the standard exchange rate it sounds like a good deal. Any opinions?

LostInTranslation
July 22nd, 2011, 12:17
Do the math on the rate they quote you at.

You can look at xe.com to see the interbank rates. The narita rates are here

Exchange Information (http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html)

There's also a currency exchange simulation that will tell you what you're going to get at the airport counter. From personal experience, the US airports are the worst.

Tyr
July 23rd, 2011, 22:15
Looking at the money saving expert one I'm getting worried about the higher payers (only 5 yen a time difference but still...it adds up) not being protected and having warnings labels and stuff on them.
Think I'm just going to go with the post office.
Time to do some maths and work out how much pay I'll be getting in the middle of the month and how much money I actually need.

Muffles
July 24th, 2011, 01:26
Well the website right now says that Halifax has good rates.

atheistwithfaith
July 24th, 2011, 08:37
Yeh, I am gonna order online with the post office. Just not worth the risk imo to be buying with those high money ones. You can't pay by card (so you are not protected by Visa) and it just gets sent in the post (so they only have your word if it goes missing, or some postie nabs your money).

Post office - you can pay by card, it is FSA approved and there is secure shipping to your local branch.

greengoo
July 25th, 2011, 07:07
I found a small travel agency in my city that does 74y to dollar or so, plus a ten dollar fee. Not good but not terrible.

uthinkimlost?
July 25th, 2011, 08:09
I found a small travel agency in my city that does 74y to dollar or so, plus a ten dollar fee. Not good but not terrible.

Have you checked if your bank will do it?

greengoo
July 25th, 2011, 09:01
Nah, they directed me to some coin shop with a worse rate.

Alphabet
July 25th, 2011, 12:13
Yeah, for Americans, banks will usually be able to do it if you give them a week notice or two. They need to order the yen, but since you're their customer they (hopefully) won't hit you with a crazy fee to change it.

LostInTranslation
July 25th, 2011, 12:50
Most major banks in MURIKA will hit you with a pretty nasty charge, or at least Chase will. Chase was only going to give me 72 yen to the dollar. Everything I've read suggests that Japanese ATMs, the post office and Narita exchange terminals are a much better rate.

alutemu
January 12th, 2012, 09:56
I called my bank a couple days ago and they were only offering 70.5 yen/dollar and on top of that, they want to charge a $15 shipping fee (and I have to go to the bank to pick it up). Should I look elsewhere?

uthinkimlost?
January 13th, 2012, 00:29
I called my bank a couple days ago and they were only offering 70.5 yen/dollar and on top of that, they want to charge a $15 shipping fee (and I have to go to the bank to pick it up). Should I look elsewhere?

If you live in Bumfuk, that will probably be as good as it gets. If you can get to a major city, some banks keep the currency on hand.

lilyanphino
January 13th, 2012, 06:38
Look at Wells Fargo's website. They offer currency exchange online.