PDA

View Full Version : Second Thoughts

Silhouette
July 26th, 2011, 21:05
Recently I've begun to doubt my decision to apply for JET next year. It mostly boils down to being worried about spending a year in Japan while not really being able to see as much as I would backpacking for 6 months.

As I plan to travel for a further year or so after JET, I would be out of 'career' related employment for around 2 years in total. JET, realistically, has no relation to my career apart from transferable skills such as adaptability etc. Coming back from 2 years away with little/no career progression is another worry.

While I appreciate JET is a great experience and something I've wanted to do for years, I guess what I want to know is, is it worth it?

Would I be better of just traveling Japan on a working holiday visa, getting some part time work every now and again before moving to a new city and eventually a different country?

The money I could potentially save while with JET would make the year of traveling much easier and I know Japan is an expensive place to travel for a long period of time.

Any advice? I need some.

tl;dr - I'm getting old and starting to worry about real things like my career while still wanting to see some of the world. Is JET a worthwhile experience? Will I be able to travel much of Japan or should I just go on a working holiday visa for 6 months?

mothy
July 26th, 2011, 21:18
JET was made for people who just want to fuck around on a lark and have no serious plans for the future. If this sounds like you, go on JET. If not, go do something else.

Tyr
July 26th, 2011, 21:41
You only live once.
Apply anyway and see what happens, you might not even get in.

JET was made for people who just want to fuck around on a lark and have no serious plans for the future. If this sounds like you, go on JET. If not, go do something else.
Maybe when you signed up but with the current state of the economy and its prognoses for next year...Its a pretty sensible option for graduates. Gives them some good pay and something to do for a year beyond watching daytime TV and collecting a dole cheque.

melty
July 26th, 2011, 22:14
It mostly boils down to being worried about spending a year in Japan while not really being able to see as much as I would backpacking for 6 months.

It also depends on what you actually want to see! If you want to backpack around and tick places off a list so you can say 'i've been here' then I understand your point... but surely it is better to stay in one place, make friends, have fun while actually getting involved with the community??

p.s. My JET friends are probably the most well travelled bunch of people I've ever met! If you want to travel around Japan or Asia while you're on JET- there is nothing to stop you.

greengoo
July 27th, 2011, 01:30
I sorta did it a little different than many JETs, I've been working a "real" job for four years and I'm just now leaving for JET. I will say though, I've met 3 or 4 JETs at my workplace (major jpn company) that have gone on to AWESOME careers. Don't let anybody tell you it's not a good thing to do career-wise. I mean, it's not an MBA, but it's definitely good if you're doing something Japan(ese)/teaching/international related.

atheistwithfaith
July 27th, 2011, 03:10
I don't know what it is like for the US, but I get the impression that JET IS well respected amongst UK organisation who know about it and for those who don't, they will be very impressed when you tell them what it involved. (as long as you don't mention any late nights in Kabuki-cho)

lilyanphino
July 27th, 2011, 03:18
Just apply and see what happens. You might not even get accepted into the program. I find that it's better to just go for things and see what happens. If you do that then you never have regrets later on in life that you didn't try something.

jwkelley
July 27th, 2011, 05:28
eh careers are for schmucks. apply

ten_of_spades
July 27th, 2011, 06:10
My advice: don't be a sissy and apply. JET will always look better on a resume than "whoa man, I fucked around backpacking for two years" (while wracking up substantial credit card debt / mooching off my parents).

It's great pay for little work and you might even pick up some Japanese language skills.

greengoo
July 27th, 2011, 09:14
I really only now regret the things I haven't done
And stayin' under covers in the dark it ain't no fun
You know I'd rather take my glasses off and stare right at the sun

do it.

Teishou
July 27th, 2011, 14:28
Go for it. :< I am.

melty
July 27th, 2011, 19:12
I agree with atheistwithfaith. JET is still well respected in the UK. If you want to get onto a graduate recruitment scheme it seems that time on JETs helps rather than hinders.

I will say though, I've met 3 or 4 JETs at my workplace (major jpn company) that have gone on to AWESOME careers. Don't let anybody tell you it's not a good thing to do career-wise. I mean, it's not an MBA, but it's definitely good if you're doing something Japan(ese)/teaching/international related.

yup. I have been helping at the post-JET careers day for the last few years, so I have met a huge number of JETs with amazing careers in a wide range of fields. However I have also met JETs who return to the UK expecting to be paid well despite their lack of non-JET experience. You can't expect for your JET experience to set you up for life. You have to really work hard to get to do something that you really want to do.

Silhouette
July 27th, 2011, 21:52
It also depends on what you actually want to see! If you want to backpack around and tick places off a list so you can say 'i've been here' then I understand your point... but surely it is better to stay in one place, make friends, have fun while actually getting involved with the community??

p.s. My JET friends are probably the most well travelled bunch of people I've ever met! If you want to travel around Japan or Asia while you're on JET- there is nothing to stop you.

Yea, that does make sense. I was just questioning whether I would be able to see as much of the country on JET, but I guess it is a trade from seeing places to really experiencing the country. The places will always be there but the opportunity to live in a community won't. Thank you!

Silhouette
July 27th, 2011, 21:53
Cheers for the replies, you made a good argument. Why not eh?