PDA

View Full Version : Being poor as S#$% and leaving with Group C

Mirror2011
July 31st, 2011, 12:38
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. I'm from a small down in Utah, where coming up with more than 2,000 dollars is f#%&ing hard. On top of this the horrid exchange rate from USD to yen is wiping out 1/4th of my money. So with the more than likely possibility of having to pay key money, deposit, and all that I might have literally nothing left over to buy food with. I'm just wondering if I'm expected to starve the until my first paycheck? or live in a tent maybe? lol! And loans are not a possibility for me, I got 20,000 in student loans to pay off, plus having to go into debt to start a new job is just ridiculous.

Lianwen
July 31st, 2011, 12:49
Explain your situation to your BOE. They can lend you part of your first paycheck to help you out. Also, ask if you can wait to pay key money until you get paid. They may let you do that so you're not raped by the exchange rate.

Mirror2011
August 3rd, 2011, 15:25
Yeah I explained things and looks like it's all going to work out. Was just a little surprised when I first started hearing what the numbers could have been. It's definitley very different from prefecture to prefecture. Actually from CO to CO. Some are just way cooler than others I guess.

Mirror2011
August 5th, 2011, 16:07
Well, I thought explaining things would help but nope! I'm completely getting the shaft. If I didn't have in-laws that are Japanese and want to help me out (since my CO is already giving me the impression that they don't give a damn) I'd have to back out right now. Which would really be a shame since I passed up a decent job, in Japan even, to accept my upgrade.

mteacher80
August 5th, 2011, 20:44
What job did you pass up?

greengoo
August 11th, 2011, 08:53
100yen shops, sale of the day onigiri and refilling water bottles. You'll live.

Cytrix
August 18th, 2011, 21:17
Seriously, I brought over way under 200,000 yen and I have a shit load left...and it'll be pay day soon!

Eudox
August 18th, 2011, 22:27
I brought over 70,000 (knowing I wouldn't have to pay any bills till after payday, with no key money etc), and it really wasn't enough. That being said, I've got by with my credit card making it about 100k all up. Payday in 3 days, w00t!

I have been going out for dinner, a festival or drinking party pretty much every second day though...

MJN
August 20th, 2011, 05:41
I got my yen in - taking 90,000 in cash, but have my credit & Bank card with me which I intend to use at little as humanly possible.

Only thing I'm worried about is buying a car, if they cost anything over 100,000 upfront I'll probably struggle with money to begin.

mteacher80
August 20th, 2011, 09:05
you can def find one of these for under \100,000

http://img4.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/08/c6/hrm_tkhs/folder/96309/img_96309_2937857_14?1302414015

MJN
August 20th, 2011, 09:51
I don't know if that's good or bad or not.

I'm hopefully I can get a lower-end of the spectrum K-car. I've read about their dangers, the increased capability to be killed and whatnot, but frankly I only really want a car to scoot about the countryside too/from school(s). I dislike driving normally, if I was doing any cross-country travel I'd rather take the train.

So I am hopefully to get something ultra-cheap, but preferably with (some) shaken and as hassle-free as cheap comes.

Page
August 22nd, 2011, 08:44
You're generally going to find 300000 for used Ks (from a dealer). Maybe a 200000, but I'd say those are rare (at least up here anyway).

word
August 22nd, 2011, 09:19
You guys are so weird. I would've happily come here with nothing. Who cares? You'll probably make it through the first month. It's an adventure.

I bought a kei from a leaving ALT for 10man. It's a piece of crap, but it runs, has shakken for a while, and meets my "puttering around town" needs (I have a white plate for longer-distance drives). If you can buy from a private seller (not a dealer), you can get a cheap, cheap car.

Truthsauce
August 22nd, 2011, 15:49
You guys are so weird. I would've happily come here with nothing. Who cares? You'll probably make it through the first month. It's an adventure.

I bought a kei from a leaving ALT for 10man. It's a piece of crap, but it runs, has shakken for a while, and meets my "puttering around town" needs (I have a white plate for longer-distance drives). If you can buy from a private seller (not a dealer), you can get a cheap, cheap car.

So you're going to pay double the car tax? That's no fun.

word
August 22nd, 2011, 16:12
MG and I need two cars. Our lives are significantly less complicated now that we aren't having to make ridiculous morning drives, sharing one car. It's worth the ~7,000 in annual tax for the kei.