PDA

View Full Version : Money for Predecessor

agrilledfish
August 3rd, 2011, 17:11
When my predecessor moved in 2 years ago, he paid his predecessor 3-man-en for various things left behind, like the bicycle, TV, etc. My pred said he thought that was a bit too high, so he wasn't going to ask that much from me. I offered him 1-man, and he accepted. Later on he upped it to 2-man since he had moved to an unfurnished apartment in Tokyo and needed money to buy a refrigerator, microwave, etc. I said okay, sure, I'd be glad to help out.

Later on when talking to my supervisor at the BOE, though, I learned that basically everything of value had been purchased by the BOE, not a predecessor. Besides that, I had to spend about 1-man for a new bicycle since the old one was a piece of shit on the verge falling apart. So, now I don't want to give my predecessor 2-man, but I also don't want to go back on my word. I feel bad for him getting ripped off by his predecessor, but I don't want to continue the chain. I don't think he's trying to rip me off -- I think he honestly never realized that everything in the apartment was actually purchased by the BOE. My supervisor speaks almost no English and my predecessor had communication problems.

I know I should just talk to my predecessor about it and reason with him, but it's so much easier to turn to the internet for support before a direct confrontation. Help me, internet!

kawaiijutsu
August 3rd, 2011, 18:41
on the bicycle, he wouldve known that thing was a POS before you got it. so its totally reasonable to at least say you wanna pay less at LEAST on the bike.
i wouldnt say completely take away any offer of money, since you did kinda give him your word (id feel really bad about doing that, anyway), but maybe try to ask him to go back down to either 1.5 man or 1 man?

Antonath
August 3rd, 2011, 21:23
If you're anywhere near Tokyo, look at whatever you pay him as an investment: a place to stay when you go there, someone to drink with that speaks English...

That said, I would try to find some way of politely asking to decrease the amount a bit.

agrilledfish
August 4th, 2011, 18:00
Thanks for the comments, guys. He warned me that the bike was in pretty bad condition so I can't blame him for that. I'll talk to him about it again but I'll probably go ahead and pay him -- I don't want to go back on my word, no matter how casual it was. And he did leave half a jug of whiskey in the freezer and some bottles of wine in the fridge for me. Besides, as Antonath said, it could give me a place to stay when I visit Tokyo.

Tyr
August 9th, 2011, 09:47
i am in a similar situation (pred not owning stuff they were selling, selling some things i thought i was getting seperately) only with more money and i will not be giving my pred the full amount. i didnt appreciate the spot of blackmail added in for me too.
the investment in tokyo factor does make things a bit different here though....

Page
August 9th, 2011, 10:41
How often do current ALTs go to Tokyo? I've gone just once for a USA FOOD PARTY. There are so many other cool(er) places to go, don't let what you think your pred may or may not offer (who knows, they might be a dick about it) affect your decision!

mteacher80
August 9th, 2011, 11:10
guess i am not current but i am just a year removed, but i would head to tokyo from Kansai at least 5 times a year for the 5 years i lived there. sometimes more

i did have friends that lived there as well as the ocasional work trip! hell i will be back for a week in december working with the US commercial service!

ten_of_spades
August 10th, 2011, 06:20
I went to Tokyo most weekends as I lived in Kanto. Don't let the hipsters tell you otherwise; Tokyo is awesome. Anyone who craps on it is probably trying to get over the fact they're stuck in some far-flung placement hours removed from anything resembling a city (let alone Tokyo).

agrilledfish
August 10th, 2011, 08:04
I'm going to Tokyo next week but I didn't even bother to ask my pred if I could stay with him -- I saw a video of his apartment and there is no room unless we shared the same foldout bed or I slept on the toilet or on his tiny balcony.

Page
August 10th, 2011, 09:06
ten_of y u mad tho Not shitting on Tokyo, just saying there's lots of other places to go as well, not a deciding factor in paying for crap you shouldn't.

(for the record I'm a 2hr ride from Tokyo)

Hope you got it all worked out, dogfish!