PDA

View Full Version : Is KanjiDamage.com any good?

okay then
August 3rd, 2011, 18:10
I've been plugging along with listening, speaking and grammar merrily enough, and with the move abroad imminent, it feels like a good idea to start up on kanji. I'm not necessarily looking for a shortcut, but Kanjidamage's boast that it only includes useful readings and its inclusion of the kanji being using in context as well as its claim that it teaches you in a simple -> basic route makes it seem like the best tool for learning.

Please note that I'm not at all bothered about passing tests - I want to learn for the satisfaction of learning itself and to help me communicate.

Tyr
August 9th, 2011, 09:50
i find it pretty useful yeah, i wouldnt just go through the entire site learning kanji one by one, but as a reference its good.
i used to kinda like the method of learning all the similar looking kanji but im really coming around to the best way just being to learn the most useful/common ones and go from there.

okay then
August 10th, 2011, 19:02
Ta. I'm really struggling to started with this. How do you define the most useful? Just soak it up in media and see what pops up the most?

Eudox
August 10th, 2011, 19:47
I'm not sure about kanjidamage, but I would recommend getting a really good kanji dictionary. I have "Essential Kanji" by P.G. O'Neill which has the most common 2000 kanji with multiple lookup methods. I also use iKanji on the iPhone which helps with learning the readings and stroke order (I'm sure android has a similar app.)

okay then
August 10th, 2011, 20:28
That book looks pretty sick. I'm seconds away from ordering it. Does it put the kanji in any kind of context or is it best used as a supplement to context learning?

Eudox
August 10th, 2011, 20:49
Personally, I just use it as reference. However, the kanji are in an order that they recommend for study as well. Some of the kanji they introduce early on aren't as useful as others but they are at least easy to learn (low stroke count). For the most part they are in a fairly typical order: numbers and days etc first then moving on to common verbs and nouns.

okay then
August 10th, 2011, 21:24
Cheers mate. Gonna order it now.