PDA

View Full Version : "th" sound

Superbad
August 4th, 2011, 11:30
Anyone have any good tricks for helping students improve making the "th" sound?

Antonath
August 4th, 2011, 11:40
Getting them to look at the placement of your tongue (sticking out slightly) really helps. Even the kids at the back of the classroom can spot it once you point it out. They may forget to do it, but they'll at least know how.

word
August 4th, 2011, 22:50
Depending on class size, allowing each of them to watch their mouth (and tongue) position in a hand mirror is extremely helpful. It's really only feasible in a smaller group, though.

word

At my ES schools, my kids already have little hand mirrors that they use to help them learn to brush their teeth, so I have 'em use these.

In addition, when I teach it, I usually exaggerate it heavily while making a silly face. The kids LOL and emulate me, but later, as they use it more, they soften it and usually manage the sound with reasonable success.

Unfortunately, when they get to JHS, a JTE often "corrects" them and teaches them to pronounce it as an "s". :|

Rin
August 5th, 2011, 02:58
In addition, when I teach it, I usually exaggerate it heavily while making a silly face. The kids LOL and emulate me, but later, as they use it more, they soften it and usually manage the sound with reasonable success.

I find this works as well.

Unfortunately, when they get to JHS, a JTE often "corrects" them and teaches them to pronounce it as an "s". :|

How sad.

Superbad
August 5th, 2011, 12:18
Thanks guys

Rin
August 7th, 2011, 05:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg0fmaCSDPg

German, but brings up the same issue.