PDA

View Full Version : Team teaching JHS presentation

Tohokubro
August 8th, 2011, 17:58
I am a third year ALT and recently I was given the unfortunate task to prepare an hour and thirty minute presentation on team teaching in JHS for 10 JET newbies. While I've been able to find plenty of information on team teaching and could probably make an hour long lecture that would have the same result as a lobotomy, I want to make a class with as much student participation as possible. So I guess my dilemma is this, what kind of activities could i use to keep the newbies from day dreaming of different ways to kill me?

So far i have come up with the following activities:
Have each person make their own mock lesson plan for a selected text book page.zzzzZZZZ
Present students with different classroom scenarios and have a discussion about how it should/could be handled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eudox
August 8th, 2011, 19:27
Group activities are better than solo activities, and discussions are probably best so you can give your own (expert?) advice too.

Superbad
August 12th, 2011, 14:40
Not exactly thrilling but, you could discuss why different games they are familiar with from their childhood would or would not be good as educational activities. Then have them adapt a few bad activities to make them better suited to the classroom.

wicket
August 16th, 2011, 20:13
I think you should have a small section on developing a rapport with the JTEs so that both planning and execution of team-teaching can be done well. I'd love a dollar for every time I had to advise someone on how to rescue a working relationship with a JTE when things went sour due to cultural differences.

patjs
August 17th, 2011, 16:14
If the ALTs are coming with their JTEs they work with then I agree, it would be good to have them get to know each other and take time to discuss their ideas while they are at the conference and can't give the old "berry berry busy" excuse.

Tohokubro
August 20th, 2011, 15:59
Thanks for all the great tips. This is pretty much the flow of the presentation i will do next week.

Goal: teacher relationship, classroom dynamics, lesson planning

1. Self-introductions
(ア) Quick overview of class
(イ) Questions to the noobs
2. Intro skit and segue to importance of communication.
(イ) discussion
(ウ) Communication- how it molds your relationship with your JTEs
2. Open the lines of communication
3. Be pro-active

3. Warm-up activities

(イ) Introduce two simple warm-ups and one review game.

(ウ) Skit-
(オ) JTE is the ruler of the classroom
① How to submit ideas to the JTE

4. 5-10 minute break
5. Classroom scenario <10- 15 minutes>
(ア) Present the class with three classroom scenarios

(ア) Discussion
(イ) ALTs role in the classroom.

6. Lesson planning< 20-30 minutes>
(ア) Introduce the typical lesson plan structure and things to consider when one is made
(イ) Split into groups and make lesson plans for a selected page from a junior high school text book.
(ウ) Present each group's lesson plan
7. Discussion of how elementary school visits differ. <5 minutes>
(ア) English in elementary schools
(イ) ALTs relationship with the English teachers
(ウ) How you can improve your time at elementary schools.
8. Question time.