PDA

View Full Version : US MBA w/ intensive lang. program?

Happyscrappy
August 10th, 2011, 23:53
I'm an American, and have been in Japan for a while now. My Japanese isn't bad - but I really want to get good. I'm so busy at work now that I can only study about 2 hours a day, which isn't enough to become fluent quickly.

I'm planning to get an MBA in the states - but the problem is, I can't find any schools that will let me take Japanese *language* classes intensively. A few said they might allow one class a semester, and many have said I would need to get a second master's - in Japanese 'Language and Culture', which has less to do with language than I'd care for.

Are there any respectable MBA programs in the states where I can also learn a lot of Japanese? I would love to just take a year here to learn full-time, but I don't have the kind of money for that.

EDIT: Also, I've been looking at Hawaii at Manoa, which looks perfect except for its unranked status as an MBA school on businessweek. My grades are really good - I want to go to as good a school as I can. I wish there was one like this with a higher ranking.

Thanks!

mteacher80
August 13th, 2011, 06:57
MBA Program (http://www.tuj.ac.jp/mba/)

Why an MBA from IUJ? | GSIM (http://gsim.iuj.ac.jp/content/en/node/10)

i have friends who have earned their MBA at both of the above options. One is working as a Recruiter in Tokyo and the other is a head IT tech at Bloombergs Tokyo office....

so take that as you will

Happyscrappy
August 15th, 2011, 14:15
(PM sent to mteacher80)

I can't apply for Temple yet since I only have 3 years of full-time experience and they require 4 years to apply (I emailed them about it).

Does anyone else know much about IUJ in terms of getting jobs in Japan after graduation? I haven't been under such a favorable impression of it, but who knows.

And how about universities in the US? Hopefully I can get a scholarship wherever I apply, but I can only get a loan in the states.

Page
August 17th, 2011, 09:37
I wouldn't waste the money going to UH for business. They have their strengths but their business school isn't one of them. While UH is the best school on the islands, it's pretty LOL compared with the upper tier of schools on the main land. Lots of bigger schools offer intensive Japanese in the summer (I know Pittsburgh did when I was in undergrad). Don't really see how any school can stop you from taking a class in the summer, though. You can audit the class or have it not apply to your degree, etc. etc.

mteacher80
August 18th, 2011, 04:46
My contact fro IUJ said that its not really the best program. They like to give scholarships only to students who apply from abroad and after you are done they really only help you to find jobs OUT OF THE COUNTRY. He said some of the guys he went with did get decent jobs in Japan but not enough to call it a good program. Sorry!

UPGRAYEDD
August 18th, 2011, 20:45
If you want to go to a "top" program than you need to go ahead and completely forget about studying Japanese intensively. Unless you do it on your own time.

Any program that teaches Japanese "seriously" will be a niche program. And the only schools that I know of with niche programs that heavily combine Japanese language learning with their MBA core are South Carolina, Thunderbird, Monterey, and UH of course. And none of them are true "heavy hitters" in the MBA world but they each offer their own unique opportunities if you are really interested in combining Japan/Japanese with your MBA.

South Carolina includes a full year of intensive language study at Waseda followed by a Tokyo internship. Thunderbird has a ridiculously large alumni network in pretty much every country on earth. Monterey has a ridiculously large amount of JET alumni and their language programs are highly renowned. UH also offers some of the best Japanese language training in the world and a whole ton of internship connections with some of Japan's largest companies.

I also really disagree with Page that UH is a waste of money for an MBA. The cost of the full program is about $40,000 with an average starting salary after graduation above $80,000. I'm also a student there so my opinion is very biased. Anyone can pm me about it if you want to talk in more detail.

And I would avoid any MBA program in Japan like the plague. The only Japanese MBA programs with any international accreditation are Keio and Nagoya, both are taught in Japanese only. Waseda is currently attempting to gain AACSB accreditation but AFAIK they haven't received it yet.

Some how IUJ got ranked relatively highly in some magazines due to some stat gaming. But do keep in mind that their program does not have any internationally recognized accreditation. I would think long and hard before going there since that degree has absolutely zero value outside of Japan. And within Japan... contrary to what some English language magazine rankings say... The quality of IUJ's program will always be ranked far below Keio, Hitotsubashi, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Waseda, or Doshisha - even though most of these schools do not appear in any "rankings".

Happyscrappy
August 27th, 2011, 10:10
(going to send a pm to upgraedd soon too)

I contacted Thunderbird and they said my Japanese was likely above what they offer - they said they just offer 2 levels. Monterey has bad career placement ratings. Moore and Manoa look great except they are unranked programs.

The main draw to those 2 for me is the internship in Japan that they offer. Are there any (ranked) US schools that offer internships like that (especially ones that are part of the program)?

mteacher80
August 27th, 2011, 10:23
OK I am back with "friends"

I have two friends who got their MBAs from the university of Kansas (which on the US news best business schools is ranked 105) who ended their program with a month internship with japanese companies in Japan. Both ended up with trading companies in the Kobe area......i dont know the whole program or store behind it though......

UPGRAYEDD
August 27th, 2011, 13:04
SC (54) and Hawaii (107) are both ranked by US News. If you pay them money you can see more specific breakdowns like salary and job info.

But the sample size for Hawaii is way too low to get anything interesting out of it, IMO, and it's probably really skewed by the large amount of graduates just wanting to stay in Hawaii. If you are not interested in Japan or Hawaii - go somewhere else.

And surveys are not going to reflect the quality of the Japan-specific programs at all. And I'll put big money on Hawaii being way ahead of SC in that department. Just by looking at alumni connections and internship opportunities.

Page
August 30th, 2011, 09:24
Well if nothing else you'll save money going there. My masters at UH was in total less than a year at my undergrad. If you don't count the living costs, anyway.

Just go where you'll be happiest! In the end choosing a grad school is more dependent on the niche you're looking for (and internships available) than it is on ranking, imo.