PDA

View Full Version : Am I banned from driving?

jumpman85
August 17th, 2011, 12:09
Article 27 of my contract states:

"Except for commuting from place of residence to the appointed work place, the JET shall not operate a motor vehicle for duty-related matters without the permission of the Supervisor."

Does this prevent me from driving at all or just from driving to/from school? I'm so close to my school I can practically throw a rock over my apt building and it'll land in the baseball field, so I don't give a shit about being able to drive to school. I'd never do it anyway.

I asked my supervisor what the driving situation is for JETs here and he literally told me that "You might run over some old lady, kill her, and the BoE will look bad." I studied abroad here so I'm used to the "you're a foreigner so you don't the same treatment" card before, and it looks to me like I"m getting it right now. Do I just plow on ahead and just never mention it? I'd like to get a motorcycle to do some touring when I have time during things like Golden Week. Not to mention it'd be nice to not have to cycle for an hour+ to be able to get anywhere else.

patjs
August 17th, 2011, 12:18
That's the standard line in the contract. It was the same in mine.

They can only forbid you driving during work hours. They cannot forbid you from driving in your personal time and if they try to tell you that you can't it's 100% BS. Don't take that crap. If they seem adamant about not letting you drive at all you might want to talk to the PA and they can probably have someone explain to your BOE that they can't dictate what you do outside of work.

Fyrey
August 17th, 2011, 19:33
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/japan-jet-school-related/12937-driving-contractually-verboten.html

Perhaps useful.

jumpman85
August 17th, 2011, 21:54
I was going to bump that but it was more about being able to drive to school rather than actually being able to drive at all. I totally don't NEED to drive. I just want to.

Fyrey
August 17th, 2011, 22:34
So drive. Nothing stops you from doing that.

The hint in your contract is "duty-related matters" - as an ex-ex-pat in Japan, you shouldn't really be getting worried about this.

jumpman85
August 17th, 2011, 23:02
kk, I just wanted to get some other input. I don't plan on bringing it up to my supervisor after his initial reaction. Since I don't plan on getting the bike for a couple months, he'll probably have forgotten by then.

ten_of_spades
August 18th, 2011, 00:55
That article in the contract says you can drive to/from work, just not during work hours (ie you can't drive off to the bank on your lunch break or whatever).

And it's not really just a "let's rag on the foreigner" thing. If you (or a regular Japanese co-worker) do get into an accident while on the clock, your BoE will have to pay compensation and your supervisor(s) will have to resign.

patjs
August 18th, 2011, 01:07
kk, I just wanted to get some other input. I don't plan on bringing it up to my supervisor after his initial reaction. Since I don't plan on getting the bike for a couple months, he'll probably have forgotten by then.

Yeah as many foreigners here like to say, don't ask for permission unless you know you absolutely have to. They can't tell you not to drive in your personal time so don't even bother talking to anyone about it.