PDA

View Full Version : A theory on placement- the better the Japanese, the worse the school

Tyr
August 26th, 2011, 19:27
I've noticed around my prefecture that it really seems that the worse your Japanese the better the school you're at (to a degree).
My Japanese is all but non-existant and I'm at a high level academic school, the other guys at academic high schools also don't speak Japanese.
Meanwhile the junior high and elementary teachers do speak it, a guy at a really low level high school for drop outs also speaks it.
The only exception that comes to mind are people in very rural areas where they're just thankful to have anyone and throw folk with no Japanese into schools with no English speakers.

Has anyone else observed this rough pattern?
Or is it just coincidence around here?

agrilledfish
August 26th, 2011, 21:46
I thought that might be the case at first, but I've seen plenty of counter-examples and I'm sure it simply varies depending on the region. According to what I've read online, BOEs can request specific types of ALTs. However, my BOE supervisor breathed a huge sigh of relief when he met me and found out I can converse in Japanese. He himself barely speaks a word of English and the last ALT didn't know much Japanese when he first came. Since I arrived I've had to communicate almost exclusively in Japanese (usually simple, kindergarten-level Japanese, mind you). But it seems that despite nobody knowing much English here, the BOE didn't make any request in regards to Japanese ability, nor did they even know what my ability was before I got here.

Alphabet
August 28th, 2011, 05:40
I had two years of study and I was placed at the best HS in my prefecture. So yeah.

MixedNuts
August 28th, 2011, 11:33
My Japanese is alright and I was placed at a high-level academic high school and some very, very low ones.

I don't think it matters all that much at least where I am because we all got a mix of high and low schools regardless of our Japanese abilities. Your JTEs will also get moved around come every April and ones that were at a top academic school may suddenly find themselves at a juvie, and vice versa. But maybe this is based on what ken you're in. And on another note, I've found that some of my "top" students had the worst spoken English and some of my students who spoke the best were at one of my lowest schools.

atheistwithfaith
August 28th, 2011, 18:52
I think in my case (municipal JET) they put me into the two JHS where the JTEs have better English speaking ability (I have very poor Japanese) and the other JET who has very good Japanese into the two JHS where the JTEs have poorer English skills. So I am sure there are situations when they do this - but they didn't decide who would go to what school until we arrived and they met us to assess our Japanese level. I suppose you could then follow through on the logic that better schools will have JTEs with better English, in general.

patjs
August 28th, 2011, 21:21
they can only request certain things it doesn't guarantee they will get that... my town requested an alt that speaks Japanese and got one with absolutely zero.

WaIdroon
September 4th, 2011, 23:47
I've noticed that all theories about how placements are decided are wrong.

Truthsauce
September 5th, 2011, 11:31

This is a good theory.

Tyr
September 6th, 2011, 17:49
But thats boring.