PDA

View Full Version : Have I been too naughty for JET?

seanathan
August 29th, 2011, 11:31
So I'm going to be applying this fall for JET, and was wondering what your opinions are on a question that I've been going over in my mind. When I was sixteen years old, I ran into some trouble with the law for underage drinking. It was not really a big deal at all, I just did some community service at my high school and it never came up again. I think it's actually been stricken from my record, but I see from looking at the application criteria that they're asking any offenses including juvenile.

So yeah, I realize it all depends on the rest of my application, how well I make myself out and all that. But does anyone have an opinion on how drastically this could effect my acceptance into the program?

Tyr
August 29th, 2011, 11:35
Just under age drinking?
I`d imagine that wouldn`t be too much of a problem, most people have done that afterall, you were just unlucky enough to get caught.
Its a minor offence and it was long in the past, even if it was something worse than that I`d imagine you could swing it as being a bit wild as a kid but mellowing out and maturing and now being a responsible adult albeit one who can relate to the problem kids and perhaps help them down a better path as you managed yourself.

Antonath
August 29th, 2011, 11:37
If it was drink-driving, you'd pretty much be done, but underage drinking is much less of an issue, I think. Go with the standard "learning from mistakes" shtick - keep it brief - and it shouldn't hurt things too badly if the rest of your application is good.

word
August 29th, 2011, 15:02
Why not send off for the FBI check now? If it comes back clean, you won't even have to worry about it! You've probably got plenty of time.

UPGRAYEDD
August 29th, 2011, 17:13
My replacement had the exact same record on his application and got in.

MCAS
August 29th, 2011, 19:58
Why not send off for the FBI check now? If it comes back clean, you won't even have to worry about it! You've probably got plenty of time.

Seconded, if it's not on the FBI check, then JET will never need to know about it. And if it is, then just be up front and honest with JET and you should be fine.

Scissors
August 29th, 2011, 22:37

Thirded. If you're serious about applying, it's worth the $18 you spend on the background check. And if you apply for the check now, you'll probably get it back well before the JET deadline. They say it could take up to 12 weeks, but I got two at different times earlier this year back in 5. Do it soon and you should be in good shape.

I can't say what would happen if it were one ticket and still on your record, but if you have 20 underage drinking tickets, I imagine that might be a problem.

seanathan
August 30th, 2011, 01:40
Thanks everyone for your input. I did some research, and it looks like the event should not be on my record at this point, since I was not technically arrested. I'll probably take your advice and apply for the background check ASAP.

And if it turns out to be a problem in the end, I'll just explain that I was drinking SAPPORO!

agrilledfish
August 31st, 2011, 00:00
Just say you were practicing for the nomikais.

HeartNana
August 31st, 2011, 15:26
If it's not on your record, then you don't need to mention it, simple as that.

seanathan
September 1st, 2011, 10:44
If it's not on your record, then you don't need to mention it, simple as that.

Mention what? ;)

Kingslayer
September 2nd, 2011, 01:37
Veering from the thread slightly: what would you guys think if, hypothetically speaking, someone was arrested two years ago for something very minor (was picked up from a party and was sitting in the passenger seat, got pulled over and had a beer in hand, i.e. an open container citation). Especially considering Mississippi's unusually (and normally) laxed laws concerning alcohol and vehicles, do you think it would be anything major to worry about?

UPGRAYEDD
September 2nd, 2011, 12:45
That seems perfectly legal in Japan...

If it's on the record just write a few sentences about how you learned from your mistake. If you get to the interview you can even stress that the particular action you got arrested for isn't even illegal in Japan...

Eudox
September 2nd, 2011, 13:20
If you get to the interview you can even stress that the particular action you got arrested for isn't even illegal in Japan...

I'm not sure I'd go this route... it's more the fact that you broke a law, not which law you broke.

MCAS
September 2nd, 2011, 19:32
I'm not sure I'd got this route... it's more the fact that you broke a law, not which law you broke.

Agreed, Japan is a country that believes in following the law because it is the law. I would stress more that you weren't driving the car. Also, was the driver sober?

Kingslayer
September 2nd, 2011, 20:05
Agreed, Japan is a country that believes in following the law because it is the law. I would stress more that you weren't driving the car. Also, was the driver sober?

Yes, the driver was sober.

greengoo
September 4th, 2011, 11:14
I killed a few hobos before JET but it never came up in the interview.

If it's not on your FBI check just pretend it never happened.

word
September 4th, 2011, 17:22
If it's not on your FBI check just pretend it never happened.WORD.

WaIdroon
September 4th, 2011, 23:05
WORD.

Indeed

ten_of_spades
September 5th, 2011, 11:54
Veering from the thread slightly: what would you guys think if, hypothetically speaking, someone was arrested two years ago for something very minor (was picked up from a party and was sitting in the passenger seat, got pulled over and had a beer in hand, i.e. an open container citation). Especially considering Mississippi's unusually (and normally) laxed laws concerning alcohol and vehicles, do you think it would be anything major to worry about?

I thought Mississippi was the only state to not have an open-container/alcohol consumption laws. Was it a local ordinance then that you broke? I doubt that'd show up on a background check, so you should be fine.

word
September 5th, 2011, 12:03
Yeah, I'd tell you the same thing I told the OP; get an FBI check done now, and if it's clear, you've got nothing to worry about.

Nuts&Bolts
September 5th, 2011, 18:50
If it was drink-driving, you'd pretty much be done, but underage drinking is much less of an issue, I think. Go with the standard "learning from mistakes" shtick - keep it brief - and it shouldn't hurt things too badly if the rest of your application is good.

I thought drink driving wasn't seen as a serious offence in Japan? If you have a DUI are you basically saying that no matter how old the conviction is, your chances of getting in are a lot lower? I thought once a DUI conviction was over 5 years old, it did not matter as long as you could demonstrate you have learned a lesson or two.

Jetonabe
September 5th, 2011, 19:11
I thought drink driving wasn't seen as a serious offence in Japan? ....

The alcohol limit for drink driving in Japan is 0.0! As a JET if you're caught driving with any alcohol on you at all it'll get back to your BOE and then you'll probably be screwed. Similarly if you are a drunk/sober passenger of a drunk driver! They really don't like drink driving here!

MixedNuts
September 5th, 2011, 19:35
Yeah, you're supposedly screwed if you get caught driving while drunk here. I hear it's the same for drunk bicycling too, but I don't know any stories offhand of people getting busted for that.

MCAS
September 5th, 2011, 19:56
The alcohol limit for drink driving in Japan is 0.0! As a JET if you're caught driving with any alcohol on you at all it'll get back to your BOE and then you'll probably be screwed. Similarly if you are a drunk/sober passenger of a drunk driver! They really don't like drink driving here!

Indeed, DUI/DWI is a serious offense in Japan. Especially since when you are on JET, you are a Japanese public servant, which means that you are held to an higher standard.

WaIdroon
September 8th, 2011, 00:12
I thought drink driving wasn't seen as a serious offence in Japan? If you have a DUI are you basically saying that no matter how old the conviction is, your chances of getting in are a lot lower? I thought once a DUI conviction was over 5 years old, it did not matter as long as you could demonstrate you have learned a lesson or two.

Drinking and driving here is one of the worst things an alt can do other than drugs, sex crimes or murder. Not only do they send you packing but all of your coworkers get shit on, as does your BOE and likely your fellow ALTs.

As for your chances? If a DUI is on your record I have to say that is probably going to sink you. I've never personally heard of someone getting in with a DUI that they fessed up to in their app, but I suppose it's not impossible.

My guess is a DUI will fuck you though, assuming it's on the paperwork you have to submit.

Antonath
September 8th, 2011, 08:55
It's not just the passengers: if you're out drinking with someone and don't stop them driving drunk, you can be prosecuted too. That includes the bar's owner.

As Waldroon said, DUI is about the worst thing an ALT can do, short of shit that would get you in just as much trouble at home.

Strange_quark
September 9th, 2011, 22:10
It's not just the passengers: if you're out drinking with someone and don't stop them driving drunk, you can be prosecuted too. That includes the bar's owner.

As Waldroon said, DUI is about the worst thing an ALT can do, short of shit that would get you in just as much trouble at home.

Depending on drug laws of course. Drugs here... they will fire you out of a canon into a flock of flying sharks covered in poison and exploding jellyfish.