PDA

View Full Version : Gifu-ken

Mere
May 21st, 2004, 11:26
Gifu-ken...

See posting below

Mere
May 21st, 2004, 11:32
Anyone else going to/ already in Gifu-ken?

Yahoo groups has a member's page: Gifujets

Also, check out these web-sites:

http://www.pref.gifu.jp/s11129/gifujet/index.htm

http://www.pref.gifu.jp/index_e/htm

http://www.ih-osaka.or.jp/enjoy/en/index.html

Yakaji
May 22nd, 2004, 14:29
I just read confirmation tonight. I'll be going somewhere in Gifu-ken. My guess is Hida Takayama, from what I know and what I requested.

ravinghatmaker
May 24th, 2004, 12:40
I too will be in Gifu-ken in the city of Kani. Hope to see you guys around soon enough.

Yakaji
May 24th, 2004, 15:08
I really wish I had confirmation on just where in Gifu I was being placed.... I have suspicions, but it's killer annoying watching as everyone else gets their full placements and I have to wait around to get the details.

akko
May 26th, 2004, 05:25
Calling all the Gifu-ken massive…. So I’ve been surfing the net a bit today and have tried to find info about Gifu, I found all the usual stuff but I wanna know more!

Can anyone help with questions about; nightlife, skiing (where is the nearest place), cool tourist spots or any other useful information or facts.

Cool cool….

Mere
May 26th, 2004, 09:26
Here's a site relating to Gifu Life, activities, food, etc. (different from those above). It has some nice photos.

http://www.kankou-gifu.or.jp/en/00/access.html

Mere
May 27th, 2004, 13:19
More Gifu Links:

[url]http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5901.html

http://www.takenet.or.jp/~chukou/english/english.html

Mere
May 27th, 2004, 13:35
2 Things

1) Sorry if my Gifu-links posting seem excessive, but I keep reading that people are having trouble finding info about Gifu.There's plenty of sites out there about Gifu-ken, especially Gifu-shi.

Hida is a famous historical area and world herritage site. And if I'm not mistaken an area well known for skiing. Try typing in Hida, Gifu in Google.com and see the info abound.

Also, there's a good map that breaks down the areas in Gifu-ken at:

http://www.pref.gifu.jp/s11129/gifujet/city_area_guide.htm

2) I'm an e-mail spazz and am still getting used to this forum set up. So please pardon my posting errors (ie: url address w/out a link).

My purpose is to encourage research, not to annoy... Hope this helps!

~Mere

akko
May 27th, 2004, 22:29
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this site, but it's pretty cool...

Come on guys lets get chattin about what a great time we're going to have in Gifu, i get the feeling this Gifu section is getting a little dry!

Cheer up :)

http://www.ibiblio.org/cosmic/gifumassive.htm

Mere
May 28th, 2004, 10:45
I think most of us are still waiting for specific placements/ to hear from our predecessors... As well as pack up at our jobs (I teach, and this is the last week of school and I have a buttload of stuff to pack up in my classroom!), take finals at uni, and find subleasers/ renters for our apts.

Or maybe it's just me. :?

I'm tired- yet I spend a few hours each day checking e-mail, looking for new info about Gifu-ken, and posting sublease notices (grr).

I'll be a bit more chipper next week. ;)

Also: In case ya didn't already know- an alternate romanji spelling for

Gifu is: Gihu

Did you get it? GiFu --> GiHu

This should bring up new site info on the internet/ for checking out books.

Just here to help.

Grasshopper
June 3rd, 2004, 15:41
Hey,

I have been here in Gifu shi for 2 years. As far as the question of nightlife and skiing, it all depends on where you are. Gifu is one of the largest prefectures in Japan. Gifu city, with it's close proximity to Nagoya probably has the best night life. The Hida area and eastern Gifu (near Nagano ken) probably has the best skiing.

If any incoming Jets have any specific questions about Gifu, especially the fair city, I will do my best to answer them for you.

Yakaji
June 9th, 2004, 11:58
Seems like my predecessor has finally gotten in touch with me, and I am indeed placed in Takayama-shi, Gifu-ken. I actually got my first choice, plain and simple. Looking forward to working at the Hida Ag and Forestry school!

Mere
June 18th, 2004, 19:46
Has anyone actually bought items from their predecessor (newbie question)? SInce I'm still waiting, I'm just curous to know how the transaction was made (international check, cash/yen/home country currency, paypal, etc.).

Also, is anyone moving in to their new place BEFORE their pred. moves out? Just curious. I read on another thread that this has been an issue the past few years in Gifu during turn over. But the thread didn't state if this was a city/countryside happening or a general Gifu happening.

Only 43 more days!

~Mere

Yakaji
June 19th, 2004, 15:36
I'm currently in the process of buying housewares off my predecessor, who has been great about it. In my situation at least, said predecessor is waiting until closer to move-in time to decide on a payment method, since he's trying to get his life together as well. I think there's a very good chance he'll just ask me to pay him after I've already started in with the job.

Mere
June 21st, 2004, 06:47
I've been placed in Shirakawa-cho, located about 65km from Gifu-shi. It's a bustling town of 12,000 famous for its green tea.

I heard from my pred. (at least I think she's my pred.) about my living situation(teacher's housing w/ squat toilet! Yeah!), assignment (senior high- low performing), and things for sale... Still confused about the money transfer...

The only city I know that is near is Nakatsugawa. Is anyone else placed in or near Shirakawa? Just curious...

~Mere

Yakaji
June 29th, 2004, 00:09
Takayama-shi (pop. 66k) is just two municipalities east of Shirakawa-cho. I think there should be regular bus service between the two; there's regular bus service between Takayama and most of northern Gifu from what I can tell. So feel free to stop by our bustling metropolis from time to time - anyway, everything I've heard says Takayama's a fun place to hang out.

Also, if you're very concerned about the Japanese-style toilets, I believe you can buy... adaptors. Some sort of weird setup that will essentially make the thing into a western toilet. Not entirely sure how this would work, but it's what I've heard. Not supposed to be all that expensive either.

Mere
June 29th, 2004, 12:55
My pred has an adaptor set up on the squat toilet. But I wasn't concerned about using a squater. I like them better than western style toilets (yeah, my pred. thinks I'm strange for that too). :wink:

There's a Canadian (M.B.) in Shokawa-mura (mura?), about 40min. from Shirakawa. I need to look at a map again to see where the different cities, towns, and villages are located.

~Mere

kiwi_mudpuppy
June 30th, 2004, 15:05
Yep......... I prefer the squat toilet as well. I used to live in Nepal and I got so used to the squat toilet that when I came back I just continued to squat on the normal toilet by raising the seat and perching on the rim. Only thing thing is, when you try this with a western style toilet, if it's the middle of the night and you've had a few drinks there is the definite possibility that you will slip and shoot your foot straight into the bowl................. but it only happened once and fortunately I hadn't deposited anything yet. It's been great for devloping my thigh muscles though.

Coincidently, I found out that I will be working at four Juniour High schools in Gifu city. They are Shima, Gifu Nishi, Seizan, and Gihoku. I havn't received my contract yet, but my supervisor has emailed me, and my predecessor has sent me several emails and given me the general low down, which was great. Apparently there are four new JETs at the Gifu city BOE. I came across one of them on Big Daikon.

FulhamFC
July 17th, 2004, 17:27
I've been deliberating for way too long a period of time here over how to interrupt the "squat toilet" conversation, and launch into a pretentious introduction of yours truly. Unfortunately, my usual suave debonair nature seems to have eluded me tonight, so please allow me to stumble awkwardly into this post instead...

I was just informed earlier today that I've been placed in Gifu-ken, and am shipping out August 18th with Group C from NYC. So, I guess that makes us all neighbors now and I thought I'd take the time to see what everyone else's story is. I'm a 22/M from Rochester, NY recently graduated from the University of Toronto, and as this has begun to sound a bit too personal "adish" for me, I'll stop myself here.

But what's everyone elses deal? I was hoping to become acquainted with all the Gifu JET's at the prefecture orientation, but due to my relatively late arrival will probably be forced into missing out on all the fun. So I'm trying to acquaint myself online with as many as possible; hence, the raison d'etre for this post. So I guess my general question is when's everyone else shipping out, and where from? Also, has anyone heard anything on the Gifu orientation? I'm trying to locate specifics to see whether I will actually have to miss it, however as it's the weekend I probably won't be able to get ahold of anyone until at least Monday...

kiwi_mudpuppy
July 19th, 2004, 13:31
I haven't heard anything yet about the Gifu orientation.......... I was just told that in August there would be some orientation training that I have to go to, and that was all. I'm in group B.

Mere
July 27th, 2004, 03:02
My supervisor in Shirakawa-cho (NOT "go") just sent me an e-mail about an August conference for Gifu JETs. don't know if this applies to everyone, but here it is just in case. =)

"On August 26th and 27th, you'll have 2004 Gifu
Prefecture JET Orientation in Gifu City. Then you must pay 6000 yen to stay
there."

See y'all soon!

~Mere

Yakaji
August 12th, 2004, 11:38
As you all should know by now, yes, the aforementioned August 26 & 27 meeting in Gifu-shi is our prefectural orientation, which we're all required to attend.

Looks like this site's sorta died in the last couple weeks, doesn't it? Guess that's what happens when everyone up and moves to another country and can't have internet for a while.