PDA

View Full Version : Interac Spring 2012 Placements

colamics
September 9th, 2011, 17:27
Just received an Offer of Employment from Interac for Spring 2012! Pretty excited, though I'm completely new to what happens from here!

Do I need to negotiate my contract? (given that i'm just starting to learn Japanese and don't have a driving licence).

The only thing I'm wary about is them placing me 'anywhere.' I'm fine with this, but is there anyway of telling them that I'd really prefer being somewhere in the south of Japan, and preferably in Kyoto?

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

Thanks in advance,

jnr1
September 12th, 2011, 03:58
I've been offered a placement going out in March/April next year too. Not sure when they let you know where you're going but I'm hoping for somewhere in the South West, Fukuoka area.

earth
September 13th, 2011, 17:42
there should have been the option to request a specific placement in the intial application.

jnr1
September 14th, 2011, 04:21
Yes, I put my preference as the area I mentioned, but there's no guarantee I'll get a placement there.

Dr.Zin
September 14th, 2011, 20:33
I was placed where I requested. I think they do their best to try and suit both your and the BEO's needs.

EMTQueen
September 17th, 2011, 13:10
Well, I was deferred to Spring 2012 intake instead of the original Fall 2011, so I get to play the waiting game again. Hopefully I don't get deferred again.

colamics
September 19th, 2011, 05:15
Well, I was deferred to Spring 2012 intake instead of the original Fall 2011, so I get to play the waiting game again. Hopefully I don't get deferred again.

Ah man..that means I could get deferred too.... When did you apply to Interac, and had you signed a contract telling you minimum pay would be 230,000 yen etc. /done the criminal background checks/ got your visa by then?

EMTQueen
September 24th, 2011, 09:40
Ah man..that means I could get deferred too.... When did you apply to Interac, and had you signed a contract telling you minimum pay would be 230,000 yen etc. /done the criminal background checks/ got your visa by then?

Hadn't signed a contract or received my visa, despite me having sent in all the necessary forms weeks beforehand. I asked them to give me my visa anyway since I paid the money to have the paperwork sent from the US to Japan and the basic bitches held out on me.

I did do the background check, however. I think you had to have that done by the interview stage.

lostincarpet
October 6th, 2011, 08:08

I think it would kill me if I got deferred again. I'm half tempted to apply to alternative companies, but even if I got offers I'd stick with Interac at least for one more attempt.

Kapparin
October 6th, 2011, 16:30
I don't think the huge deferment wave is going to happen again like it did last time. It was clear their office was a mess with figuring out the numbers due to the earthquake/tsunami and I honestly think they did what they could at that time to offer as many people as possible alternate positions rather than defer them. In fact, I know a few people who were made alternates and sent to Tokyo anyway to work until there was a placement for them. I can't really say for sure, but I'll put in a little faith and say they tried their best with all the craziness that was happening and the uncertainty as to who was staying and going.

Also, having just gotten back from the Chicago seminar this weekend, only the word 'alternate' was mentioned in regards to what could happen to us, and that was only in a warning about getting our paperwork in ASA-freakin'-P once offered employment. The recruiter then said that we probably didn't have to worry about being alternates anyway, because we were early on in the recruitment season. Either way, she never mentioned deferral as a consequence for anything, or even a possibility, and I like to think from the way she talked about other things that she was a pretty straightforward lady and not just talking up Interac to the moon.

Then again, that's just hesitant hope. You never do know with dispatch companies.

lostincarpet
October 6th, 2011, 19:26
Either way, she never mentioned deferral as a consequence for anything, or even a possibility, and I like to think from the way she talked about other things that she was a pretty straightforward lady and not just talking up Interac to the moon.

That's exactly how I would describe the recruiter who handled our seminar as well and there was never any mention of deferral as a possibility during that event, nor was there in any subsequent communication from Interac right up to 'the email'.

Like I say though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. My main issue is with the way it was handled, not necessarily the deferral itself, but I will stick with them and hope they come through for April 2012.

Shankerbelle
October 6th, 2011, 21:06
You wont need to negotiate your contract. If you dont drive just be prepared for bike rides of up to 40mins.

As for the being placed anywhere, unless you are going up earlier than your specified date there's about a 90% chance you'll get one of main choices. If however you asked for Tokyo or the larger Osaka cities you'll have less luck. They generally hold those for applicants who already live in those areas.

The fall folks getting kicked into April 2012 that was solely due to most of the folks who were due to come in April 2011 requesting to come in August instead. As a result they over subscribed and had to kick folks into next years pot. Rumor has it that wont be happening again. They've even changed their systems to ensure that.

They let you know really late in the game where your going. However they give you a choice. If they offer you somewhere you can ask if they have any other locations. I wouldn't push this more than 2 or 3 times though. After your first year you can request a diff location. The folks (BF and GF) I replaced asked to be moved to Sapporo and they went after their one year contract, and some folks in my town from April-May intake will be doing the same in March 2011.

Kapparin
October 7th, 2011, 16:02
The fall folks getting kicked into April 2012 that was solely due to most of the folks who were due to come in April 2011 requesting to come in August instead. As a result they over subscribed and had to kick folks into next years pot. Rumor has it that wont be happening again. They've even changed their systems to ensure that.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The earthquake and tsunami actually happened a WEEK before one of the batches of March recruits was supposed to fly out to Tokyo for training and some of them did indeed back out and defer to the next intake. As the weeks went on, I saw more and more people defer to the August intake, and this was already a good way into the recruitment season for that same intake, when they'd offered quite a few people jobs. They were also asking those of us who were applying for August who hadn't yet made it to the final stage (I was at the stage where I'd been signed up for a seminar but hadn't attended yet) to defer our applications to the next March.

You can see where there was issue, but it was extenuating circumstances and I really don't think it will happen again. Watching what was going on, I do think they were doing all they could at the time and have learned from it.

papotchi
October 22nd, 2011, 10:16
Hi! Please join the Facebook group "Interac 2012". It's a small group, but hopefully all of us that got hired for next year can start an online community.

RustyBlackleford
October 24th, 2011, 15:29
Good for you. I didn't make it.

DandeLion
January 19th, 2012, 09:40
Just received an Offer of Employment from Interac for Spring 2012! Pretty excited, though I'm completely new to what happens from here!

Do I need to negotiate my contract? (given that i'm just starting to learn Japanese and don't have a driving licence).

The only thing I'm wary about is them placing me 'anywhere.' I'm fine with this, but is there anyway of telling them that I'd really prefer being somewhere in the south of Japan, and preferably in Kyoto?

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

Thanks in advance,

JET currently controls Kyoto. They have no contracts there.

You cannot request a specific city or placement because they may not have the contracts for it. Just so you know, some cities are JET operated and some are Interac operated. The BOE makes a certain arrangement with one of the companies and then cannot support the other.

Osaka is the closest placement to Kyoto but there are not many contracts out there and are normally reserved for more experienced people.

Ini
January 19th, 2012, 09:43
JET currently controls Kyoto.

Isn't this the plot to saints row?

DandeLion
January 19th, 2012, 15:47
Isn't this the plot to saints row?

hahaha I can't say I have played it.

that was really just a post on personal experience - I spoke with JET and Interac about trying to move there and Interac confirmed there are no contracts there and a JET employee confirmed that only JET's should be teaching in the public schools. I currently work for Interac and wasn't planning on changing so Kyoto is out of the question...for now...

joooohn
February 8th, 2012, 11:04
Hi! Please join the Facebook group "Interac 2012". It's a small group, but hopefully all of us that got hired for next year can start an online community.

Requested to join :)

DandeLion
February 8th, 2012, 12:49
Requested to join :)

There is a bigger FB group called "Interac Members" of which there are at least 3 people who are at the desk in Tokyo/America and are on constantly to answer any questions you might have in the process or once you start teaching