PDA

View Full Version : applying for interac [etc] and not even bothering with JET?

andsoyouknow
September 11th, 2011, 01:50
Because I'm lazy and I don't really want to deal with the competition and the waiting game only to be placed in the middle of know where, Japan IF I get in. Or maybe I WILL get in and get my placement. Who knows.

Sap story: had a tough year, recovering from an illness and going back to uni to complete my degree. I definitely plan on going to Japan to be an ALT once I graduate in May because that's been my goal since senior year of high school (dude, I've been lurking here since 2007).

I'm just tired, and I know I'm going to be an ALT, JET or no JET. The perks are definitely 'oh eff yeah' material, but the alternatives doesn't seem too bad. And besides, I'm not going to make a career out of this. I just want teaching experience abroad because I plan on being an international elementary school teacher in the future.

So is this way of thinking bad? That I'm shying away from JET because the alternatives seems less of a crapshoot and not as stressful to apply for?

triumphtr79
September 12th, 2011, 10:39
i sent you a PM, i'm kinda in the same boat....
maybe we can relate to each other...

andsoyouknow
September 12th, 2011, 11:30
hey, thanks for the reply! i didn't get your PM though... mind sending it again?

WaIdroon
September 12th, 2011, 15:37
I don't get why you wouldn't apply for JET while finishing your last year of school. It's not that much work, and you can always turn down the position if you don't like it.

Jojo
September 12th, 2011, 15:56
Because I'm lazy and I don't really want to deal with the competition and the waiting game only to be placed in the middle of know where, Japan IF I get in. Or maybe I WILL get in and get my placement. Who knows.

Sap story: had a tough year, recovering from an illness and going back to uni to complete my degree. I definitely plan on going to Japan to be an ALT once I graduate in May because that's been my goal since senior year of high school (dude, I've been lurking here since 2007).

I'm just tired, and I know I'm going to be an ALT, JET or no JET. The perks are definitely 'oh eff yeah' material, but the alternatives doesn't seem too bad. And besides, I'm not going to make a career out of this. I just want teaching experience abroad because I plan on being an international elementary school teacher in the future.

So is this way of thinking bad? That I'm shying away from JET because the alternatives seems less of a crapshoot and not as stressful to apply for?
while the JET application takes longer and is more competitive - your still going to be asked the same questions and have to write answers to all the same kind of questions, provide the same forms and checks etc etc.. i would apply for all of them and take the first thing you are offered

Ini
September 13th, 2011, 12:53
I don't understand where the stress is coming from? Have a little self confidence. I applied for jet and didn't bother making any alternative plans, I didn't stress and worry about getting shortlisted, in my mind I was going to Japan on jet and that's exactly what happened. Unless deep down you realize you are horribly unsuited to the job you should just apply. Doesn't take much to be shortlisted, as the parade of freaks on here and at Tokyo orientation proves

Page
September 14th, 2011, 08:37
I don't really see where the whole "Interacs don't get put in the inaka" line of thinking comes from.

If you're too lazy to apply for JET then it's probably for the best that you don't anyway: like RL said it's not difficult, just a long process. imo I think it's dumb not to apply for all the ones you can, if anything it'll be less stressful to you to have more options.

Dr.Zin
September 14th, 2011, 20:28
I say apply, and I'm saying that as someone who got rejected from JET two times...

I'm working at Interac right now, and it's great so far. Everyone is really friendly and helpful, and I haven't run into any potential ALT horror stories yet.

word
September 22nd, 2011, 08:41
I don't understand where the stress is coming from? Have a little self confidence. I applied for jet and didn't bother making any alternative plans, I didn't stress and worry about getting shortlisted, in my mind I was going to Japan on jet and that's exactly what happened. Unless deep down you realize you are horribly unsuited to the job you should just apply. Doesn't take much to be shortlisted, as the parade of freaks on here and at Tokyo orientation proves

Word. This was me, too. I dunno wtf I woulda done if I hadn't made it into JET, as I had made no backup plans or anything. Just apply; it's not that hard and you don't really have much to lose...

andsoyouknow
September 26th, 2011, 07:34
Thanks guys! I'm going to go ahead and apply for JET and other ALT jobs and wish for the best. Any offers I get, kudos to me and any rejections I get, bummer for them. Thanks again!

Empireofthesun
October 4th, 2011, 13:17
I'd recommend applying for Jet. The money is better and, as far I know, health insurance is included as well. Private dispatch companies all undercutting each other have eroded the standards to such a degree that basic expenses like transportation, insurance, medical checks and car hire are all passed off to teachers.

Very recently I made a contract with RCS. The basic salary was 100,000 yen plus a 120,000 yen location bonus plus 10,000 yen attendance bonus. Bringing the total to 230,000 per month.What they didn't say when I signed the contract was that the school was 90 minutes away and the transportation fee was unpaid. Transportation fee alone was 30,000 yen a month. By the time I knew these things RCS had already taken me to the school and introduced the "new ALT teacher." Disclosing the travel time and cost AFTER the contract was signed was probably a deliberate ploy to prevent new recruits from walking away. Companies are obligated to be specific travel time and transport fees. I took a stand, even though I'd signed a contract and refused to show up to work. But there are a lot of people who accept these conditions without question. Borderlink, JAL Haken are just two among many other companies who can't offer the most basic expenses such as transportation fees.
Basically an ALT job should pay 300,000yen a month. These days the only way to get near this amount is through Jet or with a private contract directly through the board of education. Working through a dispatch company will leave you open to abuse. And you might be lucky to walk away with 200,000yen.

greengoo
October 14th, 2011, 01:05
Because I'm lazy and I don't really want to deal with the competition and the waiting game only to be placed in the middle of know where, Japan

I think the competition might be pretty stiff for you regardless of where you apply...

uthinkimlost?
October 14th, 2011, 09:42
ZING

Tyr
October 20th, 2011, 21:52
I applied for Jet and Interac.
Got accepted to Jet.
Not to Interac.
Despite the reputation it actually has harder screening- albeit quicker. You're in all day rather than for a 20 minutes interview and their English test was actually pretty hard.
Also, if you're hoping for Tokyo or Nagoya or the like- nope. Those positions go to people with experience.

DandeLion
January 19th, 2012, 11:36
I'd recommend applying for Jet. The money is better and, as far I know, health insurance is included as well. Private dispatch companies all undercutting each other have eroded the standards to such a degree that basic expenses like transportation, insurance, medical checks and car hire are all passed off to teachers.

Very recently I made a contract with RCS. The basic salary was 100,000 yen plus a 120,000 yen location bonus plus 10,000 yen attendance bonus. Bringing the total to 230,000 per month.What they didn't say when I signed the contract was that the school was 90 minutes away and the transportation fee was unpaid. Transportation fee alone was 30,000 yen a month. By the time I knew these things RCS had already taken me to the school and introduced the "new ALT teacher." Disclosing the travel time and cost AFTER the contract was signed was probably a deliberate ploy to prevent new recruits from walking away. Companies are obligated to be specific travel time and transport fees. I took a stand, even though I'd signed a contract and refused to show up to work. But there are a lot of people who accept these conditions without question. Borderlink, JAL Haken are just two among many other companies who can't offer the most basic expenses such as transportation fees.
Basically an ALT job should pay 300,000yen a month. These days the only way to get near this amount is through Jet or with a private contract directly through the board of education. Working through a dispatch company will leave you open to abuse. And you might be lucky to walk away with 200,000yen.

This is some REALLY good advice and information. But what people don't typically know is that Interac more than doubles JETs vacation. JET pays about 60000yen a month better than Interac. So What you need to consider is which is more important savings, or vacation?
( I am not saying one is better than the other - for me it is vacation, but I don't have loans and debts to pay off)

Also it may depend on the city where you want to live. Example if you like Kyoto then you might want to go with JET since only JET employees work in the public schools here. However I have been told positions there are ridiculously hard to acquire and pretty much you have to have a spouse that already lives there...

Jojo
January 19th, 2012, 14:59
This is some REALLY good advice and information. But what people don't typically know is that Interac more than doubles JETs vacation. JET pays about 60000yen a month better than Interac. So What you need to consider is which is more important savings, or vacation?
( I am not saying one is better than the other - for me it is vacation, but I don't have loans and debts to pay off)

Also it may depend on the city where you want to live. Example if you like Kyoto then you might want to go with JET since only JET employees work in the public schools here. However I have been told positions there are ridiculously hard to acquire and pretty much you have to have a spouse that already lives there...
This is totally true all my JET friends bitch and moan every August about how much free time i have..

Jiggit
January 19th, 2012, 15:07
I don't really see where the whole "Interacs don't get put in the inaka" line of thinking comes from.

If you're too lazy to apply for JET then it's probably for the best that you don't anyway: like RL said it's not difficult, just a long process. imo I think it's dumb not to apply for all the ones you can, if anything it'll be less stressful to you to have more options.

The same arse that "Interacs don't get placed in the same places as JETs" thinking comes from I'd imagine.

There's an interac guy working in the same inaka town as me, he's come to our school to observe lessons and I've been to his to give presentations.

Also +1 to Ini.

lexa1010
January 21st, 2012, 01:38
I was in the same boat as you, i got glandular fever last year, worst year of my life! However, I definitely would have applied to Jet if I wasn't in such a rush to move on with my life :)

Eudox
January 21st, 2012, 03:02
There's an interac guy working in the same inaka town as me, he's come to our school to observe lessons and I've been to his to give presentations.

At the end of the day, it's up to the BOE where they get their peeps from.

kurisu
January 23rd, 2012, 16:21

The vacation is not much different, we still have the winter vacations, summer vacations, spring vacations, unlimited amounts of necessary sick days if we are really sick on top of the great, free insurance, 21 days nenkyuu a year, and a lot of those get applied as half days to what are scheduled as "full days" so you actually only use partial.

What are these magical more than double vacation times you are talking about?

I normally only hear the bitter Interac people that are trying to make it sound comparable to JET after they didn't get in come up with this stuff.

Jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 22:25
The vacation is not much different, we still have the winter vacations, summer vacations, spring vacations, unlimited amounts of necessary sick days if we are really sick on top of the great, free insurance, 21 days nenkyuu a year, and a lot of those get applied as half days to what are scheduled as "full days" so you actually only use partial.

What are these magical more than double vacation times you are talking about?

I normally only hear the bitter Interac people that are trying to make it sound comparable to JET after they didn't get in come up with this stuff. so you DONT have to sit in the b.o.e for most of August? because that's about 80% of the difference not to mention random days off when the schools has tests or some such .. last year that added up to about 12 days on top of regular holiday. Look im all for being paid more but if you think Jet has the same amount of holidays as the average Interac position you don't know what your talking about.

Ini
January 24th, 2012, 08:54
The government health insurance and pension is far more valuable than having the summer off.

DandeLion
January 24th, 2012, 10:49
Interac offers pension services (most just don't plan on staying with them that long I suppose?) and I have National health insurance. I don't know what the difference between the that and the government one is, but for me National is definitely enough ( way better than what I had in the States and Korea).

I heard from my JET friend that they don't have most of August off. I have about 50 days (consecutive) off in the summer. Also, and I consider myself very lucky for this, I have a least a week off a month for school testing. But I think this is a very singular case. I was just referring to the summer vacation when I mentioned more vacation days. And of course my JET friends' case could be singular as well...

Laevatienn
January 25th, 2012, 10:19
Interac offers pension services (most just don't plan on staying with them that long I suppose?) and I have National health insurance. I don't know what the difference between the that and the government one is, but for me National is definitely enough ( way better than what I had in the States and Korea).

Pension is really the only difference between Shakai and Kokumin. There is a clause about death and giving birth that is different in coverage but everything else is the exact same to the ten-ten. Most ALTs never stay in Japan long enough to collect full pension. I've met a few people who had to fight to get a fraction of the pension they paid back. Think of it similar to plans in the USA or Europe, if you draw out early don't expect a full payout.

DandeLion
January 25th, 2012, 13:45
Pension is really the only difference between Shakai and Kokumin. There is a clause about death and giving birth that is different in coverage but everything else is the exact same to the ten-ten. Most ALTs never stay in Japan long enough to collect full pension. I've met a few people who had to fight to get a fraction of the pension they paid back. Think of it similar to plans in the USA or Europe, if you draw out early don't expect a full payout.

Shakai hoken is the national insurance when you have been employed in the previous year in Japan. Meaning you are about to work your second year

Kokumin hoken is unemployed national insurance meaning you might be employed now but were not the previous year.