PDA

View Full Version : Why is JET better than AEON/Peppy Kids Club?

Let'sgoJapan
September 11th, 2011, 10:46
Is it really better? Yeah the pay can be better but wouldn't a urban JET have a significantly higher cost of living than a rural AEON/Peppy Kids Club person...

Tyr
September 11th, 2011, 11:11
Well yes, but a ruralJet would have the same cost of living but more pay. Maybe less of a cost of living actually since there's a chance there'll be subsidised housing.

Jet is better in pretty much every way, the only advantages of private hire I can think of are:
1: More flexiability in hiring, contracts, etc.... Jet is pretty strictly time tabled about applying in November, interviewing in Feb and starting in August whilst others have various hiring times.
2: More flexiability in placement. Private hires give you more control over where you're placed generally.
3: Less important job. You tend to be freer with holidays and slacking off in more private hires. You're also far more able to just quick and not be marked quite so much of a dick.
4: Tokyo. With private companies you can be in Tokyo. If you're into that sort of thing.

So yeah, some advantages I can see but generally if its a straight choice then its Jet, Jet, Jet. Not that I've worked for a private company of course, I've just read up on them a bit, I'm sure others know better.

MixedNuts
September 11th, 2011, 11:56
Why only AEON or Peppy Kids Club? Is there something about those two companies specifically that you want to know about? If so maybe you should be more specific. "Is it better?" is a really vague question. Better in what way? Work conditions? Contracts? Clients?

Let'sgoJapan
September 11th, 2011, 12:09
Well, I guess just JET vs. working for a private company...

atheistwithfaith
September 11th, 2011, 13:13
I think even with the difference in cost of living, JETs still have a lot more spare cash.

lilyanphino
September 11th, 2011, 13:20
At least in my area, the cost of living isn't bad at all. I have a friend who is private and I have a lot more disposable income as a JET than he does.

WaIdroon
September 11th, 2011, 14:54
Is it really better? Yeah the pay can be better but wouldn't a urban JET have a significantly higher cost of living than a rural AEON/Peppy Kids Club person...

Yes, it is really better.

MCAS
September 11th, 2011, 19:34
JET is better in pretty much everyway. You get better pay, you're considered a government employee and all of the benefits that come along with that, JET provides support services for JETs, often BoEs will will help with rent (if you're an urban JET), etc, etc, etc. The only reasons I think of for applying to work as a private ALT is A) if you can't get into JET, B) if you don't want to deal with the JET application process time line (though I would say it is worth it.) C) if you have specific placement requests.

Jojo
September 12th, 2011, 15:59
Also you don't have to tell people you work at 'Peppy kids club!'

Let'sgoJapan
September 13th, 2011, 08:45
Also you don't have to tell people you work at 'Peppy kids club!'

Right, but it's not like that many people have heard of JET outside of Japan lovers right?

Ini
September 13th, 2011, 08:58
its a hell of a lot more difficult to get fired from jet than private. Jets can turn up stinking of booze, slob around the school in a tracksuit, sleep at their desk all afternoon and still end up getting recontracted for a 2nd year where private companys can fire you for not wearing the correct type of tie, not standing up straight in class and not looking cheerful enough when they are sat at their desk.

mteacher80
September 13th, 2011, 08:59
It's well know by many people actually!

greengoo
September 14th, 2011, 11:16
Right, but it's not like that many people have heard of JET outside of Japan lovers right?

I worked at one of the biggest companies in the world before JET at the corporate level and JET was definitely known by many people. I guarantee you that Peppy Kids Club pales next to JET on a resume if you're going into (or back into) business.

Let'sgoJapan
September 14th, 2011, 12:11
I worked at one of the biggest companies in the world before JET at the corporate level and JET was definitely known by many people. I guarantee you that Peppy Kids Club pales next to JET on a resume if you're going into (or back into) business.

Thanks Greengoo, I sent you a private message with a follow up...

Tyr
September 14th, 2011, 13:24
PKC is an absolutely awful name. Even applying for it made me shudder.

Let'sgoJapan
September 14th, 2011, 13:50
PKC is an absolutely awful name. Even applying for it made me shudder.

I guess it is true that Peppy Kids Club on a resume isn't exactly gonna start you off on the right foot in an interview...

Gezora
September 14th, 2011, 14:33
The only instance where you might be better off private IMO is if you can get a direct hire with a BOE/school. You might be able to negotiate your contract up to JET standards, or they might be offering you that to begin with. The only catch is that you most likely need prior ALT experience or a TEFL certificate or something.

In most other cases I think JET is better unless you just haaaaave to live in Tokyo.

word
September 14th, 2011, 16:37
Yeah, MG was a direct hire, and her contract is almost identical to mine (same pay, pretty much exactly). She doesn't get as many days of nenkyuu, but she doesn't have to go in during the summer break, either, so she actually gets more paid days off than I do.

Tyr
September 14th, 2011, 19:00
Don't some experienced direct hires get better deals than Jets?

MCAS
September 14th, 2011, 19:08
Don't some experienced direct hires get better deals than Jets?

I'm not sure, but there do seem to be a few direct hires in my prefecture who seem to do quite well for themselves. However, all of those people were JETs first.

lilyanphino
September 14th, 2011, 19:56
There is a former-JET direct hire in my town as well. His school liked him so much that they wanted to keep him past his maximum contract period.

Antonath
September 15th, 2011, 11:56
Yeah, MG was a direct hire, and her contract is almost identical to mine (same pay, pretty much exactly). She doesn't get as many days of nenkyuu, but she doesn't have to go in during the summer break, either, so she actually gets more paid days off than I do.
Best. Deal. Ever.

EVAR!

Ini
September 15th, 2011, 12:38
If it's only the same pay as jet it's far from the best deal evar

Antonath
September 15th, 2011, 12:43
Ok, how about...

Best. Deal. Within the realms of possible jobs an ALT could have after finishing their term with JET but not wanting to leave Japan. Ever.

Ini
September 15th, 2011, 12:48
Far from it, maybe best deal an alt who wants to live in a big city and searches for jobs on shitty websites like gaijinpot could get.evar

word
September 15th, 2011, 13:21
Actually, MG lives way the frack out in the inaka with me. It was kinda just a cool coincidence; this large city BoE needed an ALT willing to work in some newly-absorbed villages on the fringe of their city borders, and it just so happened that the nearest village was mine. We didn't think her chances of getting the job were very good, as she spoke zero Japanese and had no experience. Got lucky and it all worked out.

miss_doitsu
September 21st, 2011, 19:34
All the Peppy kids workers I've known have hated it.

Electrolite
September 22nd, 2011, 19:44
Boils down to pay. Jet pays the best. But it's definitely possible to get direct hire positions that pay as good as Jet if you look around enough.

miss_doitsu
September 22nd, 2011, 20:23
Not necessarily. At Peppy kids you'll be around toddlers all day. As a JET you'll be around students and other teachers who have the brains of toddlers.

... so, yeah, it boils down to pay...