PDA

View Full Version : UK applicants - questions!

JapanGet
September 20th, 2011, 19:53
Hello fellow British people! I'm in the UK & applying for JET for the first time this year. I've been lurking for almost a year now and finally decided to join the forums!

I have a few questions for you...

Are there any alternatives to JET in the UK?
How many people are accepted from the UK every year?
How competetive is it?
Any application tips for a noob?

uthinkimlost?
September 20th, 2011, 20:16
All of this info is available via that spiffy new Google thingy.

miss_doitsu
September 21st, 2011, 19:31

What do you mean? For being an ALT in the UK? Or for UK people? (Answers: yes to the first and no to the second)

Goooooogle.

How competetive is it?

If you are a normal human being, who has experience abroad, and can be bright and hold a conversation for 30 mins and who doesn't have to mention their love to anime/geisha all the time then it's not that competitive. You should, however, learn how to spell competitive before you apply.

Send your essays into us here so we can check them over for you before you apply- the essay is the hardest part.
DO NOT SLEEP during the lectures in London orientation.

melty
September 23rd, 2011, 19:59
DO NOT SLEEP during the lectures in London orientation.

This made me giggle. Did anyone fall asleep this year? I didn't think this had happened since 2006!

Do you mean alternatives for UK applicants? There are loads- teach in Korea, China etc. Or you could apply to interac if you'd like to do the same job as JET, but with less pay and less support.

This year it was around 200, it was slightly less last year, and faaar less the year before. Try not to look at statistics to work out what your chances are though. If there are loads of decent applicants the London Embassy sends more people, if there are less-good applicants they just send less people.

How competetive is it?
It can be pretty competitive, but at the same time, if you are a good applicant, you have a good chance.

Read though older posts on this forum. There are countless tips :)

Strange_quark
September 26th, 2011, 20:47
No sleepers, but someone turned up without their passport and got kicked out completely.

Sad times =(

Tyr
September 26th, 2011, 21:23
Looking at some of the people who got in I must answer a big fat no to the question of is it competitive. As long as you're not a complete social retard you should have a good chance. Even if you are a social retard you might get lucky.

Rage_and_Hairspray
September 26th, 2011, 23:22
I know I've mentioned my tattoos before, and my worry that they might prohibit me getting a placement, but I have an idea I'd like to run by you.

I've spoken to a JET coordinator at the embassy about my tattoos and they recommended that I make note of them during my application. Would it therefore be acceptable, in the interests of full disclosure, to include a small additional statement specifically to do with my tattoos (with pictures)? I can note my understanding of Japanese tattoo history, and my understanding of how they're commonly viewed in Japanese society.

miss_doitsu
September 26th, 2011, 23:29
Where are they? Do they show when you wear clothes?

Rage_and_Hairspray
September 26th, 2011, 23:33
I have a full sleeve (Polynesian), tops of my feet (geometric), left calve (geometric and kanji, yeah i know) and a couple of tiny ones elsewhere. None are visible when wearing business attire.

The Coordinator did tell me that someone has been sent home once because they neglected to tell anyone about their tattoos, and their appointed school complained when this ALT turned up in short sleeves with tattoos proudly on display.

uthinkimlost?
September 26th, 2011, 23:36
I have a full sleeve (Polynesian), tops of my feet (geometric), left calve (geometric and kanji, yeah i know) and a couple of tiny ones elsewhere. None are visible when wearing business attire.

The Coordinator did tell me that someone has been sent home once because they neglected to tell anyone about their tattoos, and their appointed school complained when this ALT turned up in short sleeves with tattoos proudly on display.

That guy was stupid.

Polynesian and kanji? Unless you're Japanese/Hawaiian that will be difficult to explain in intelligent cultural terms.

Strange_quark
September 26th, 2011, 23:42
You should be ok - just say you understand you need to keep them covered etc. You won't be able to enjoy the short sleeved benefits of 'cool biz' but as long as you are aware, I don't see it being an issue. Just don't show them at school.

Rage_and_Hairspray
September 26th, 2011, 23:47
I like the style of Polynesian tattoos, as well as geometric, and the kanji was from when I was a bit younger and a bit less discerning, though I still like it.

Here (http://www.b3tards.com/u/a61c5b2fb0d0cc4111dc/295968_10150363868014050_586504049_10124123_5530761_n.jpg)'s a pic (though not one I'll send them!) to give you an idea, taken in Kamakura last month.

You should be ok - just say you understand you need to keep them covered etc. You won't be able to enjoy the short sleeved benefits of 'cool biz' but as long as you are aware, I don't see it being an issue. Just don't show them at school.

I understand, and would keep them covered any time I'll be working or acting as a representative of the program. So it's a good idea to include an additional 'Disclosure Package' (work talk) with my application?

uthinkimlost?
September 27th, 2011, 00:04
I'm of the school of thought where you shouldn't mention that which can be kept hidden.

Is tender rondo around to opine on those sweet tats?

miss_doitsu
September 27th, 2011, 00:18

yeah as long as you can keep them covered. and remember, even when you are out of school, your kids will be EVERYWHERE, like little stalkers. So it might come back to your teachers.

I'd mention it somewhere, like in your SoP or something, but don't make a big deal out of it.

Rage_and_Hairspray
September 27th, 2011, 00:20
Ok, at first I wanted to keep it out of my SoP as I'd rather not have anything negative in there, but I reckon I can both mention it and put the emphasis more on how I'm aware of the cultural differences and am more than happy to cover up at all times so as to not cause offence or discomfort.

miss_doitsu
September 27th, 2011, 18:56
Sounds a plan, Batman!

Tyr
September 27th, 2011, 19:59
Just because "social retards" get in doesn't mean that the program's not competitive. "Competitive" means that a small percentage of the people who apply are actually placed with the program; it doesn't say anything about what kind of people get in.
Hey, I'm just giving the newbies some encouragment.
But I wouldn't call Jet that competitive.
Sure, its a job, jobs are competitive by nature, but the acceptance rate for Jet seems quite high.

miss_doitsu
September 27th, 2011, 22:17
That's because you applied the year of a massive earthquake, tsunami and nuclear problem.

uthinkimlost?
September 27th, 2011, 22:20
That's because you applied the year of a massive earthquake, tsunami and nuclear problem.

Quiet, Tyr knows all.

Tyr
September 27th, 2011, 22:38
We applied before all that.
And I haven't seen any numbers from last year, only past years.

uthinkimlost?
September 27th, 2011, 22:43
Acceptance rate is 10-15%.

Tyr
September 28th, 2011, 09:38
I`ve heard higher than that. More like 20-30%.
It varies heavily by region though; look at how many Jets Ireland has compared to the UK for instance despite the entire island having a tenth as many people.

Is Jet competitive...well depends how you define competitive. There is some competition of course but I certainly wouldn`t call it particularly competitive compared to most jobs, even with 10% odds.

And of course this is all rather pointless stuff, just aim to be the best you can be, it shouldn`t matter if the chances are 1% or 99%, the application process doesn`t take that huge a slab out of your life.

uthinkimlost?
September 29th, 2011, 01:10

I'm tired of your lack of avatar.

http://www.ithinkimlost.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2252&stc=1&d=1317226213

miss_doitsu
September 30th, 2011, 21:10
We applied before all that.
And I haven't seen any numbers from last year, only past years.

Of course you did, but once you apply, you can also reject offers and pull out (thats what she said). Which is exactly what loads of people did. Which is why they had to use a lot of the people from the alt list.

Uthinkie, love it. Will use it.

miss_doitsu
September 30th, 2011, 21:11
Keeps saying upload of file failed. :-/

uthinkimlost?
September 30th, 2011, 21:19
Keeps saying upload of file failed. :-/

Size is probably off. I'll resize when I'm on my comp.

uthinkimlost?
October 2nd, 2011, 09:58
Try it now. If this doesn't work I have no idea why.

VonD
October 2nd, 2011, 10:23
I know I've mentioned my tattoos before, and my worry that they might prohibit me getting a placement, but I have an idea I'd like to run by you.

I've spoken to a JET coordinator at the embassy about my tattoos and they recommended that I make note of them during my application. Would it therefore be acceptable, in the interests of full disclosure, to include a small additional statement specifically to do with my tattoos (with pictures)? I can note my understanding of Japanese tattoo history, and my understanding of how they're commonly viewed in Japanese society.

Hey Rage, i was freaking out about my Tattoos last year (not that it mattered because I didnt get accepted !), but I am less concerned about them this year, I have both my arms sleeved, bottom right leg sleeved as well as designs on my chest, back, and the length of my torso. . . and the majority of them are a mix between chinese and japanese esq designs (although I created the majority of the designs myself).

I emailed JET about it and this is what they said to me last year...

Thank you for your e-mail and further information regarding your tattoos. Tattoos do have negative connotations within Japanese society, therefore if you were selected for the JET Programme you would be expected to keep these covered at all times both during and outside of work. It may also be difficult to find a contracting organisation in Japan who would be happy to employ you with you tattoos, although we have had varying experiences of this in the past. These issues would be discussed should you be called to interview.

Please note that this issue will not affect your application to the JET Programme at this stage, but would be assessed by interviewers should you be called in for interview.

Kind regards,

Personally Im going to wait to see if I get an interview before I mention it and unless its a subject raised before hand Im going to mention it at the end, this I feel could kind of decrease the impact, particularly if I can come across as a strong applicant before its mentioned.

If i was you i wouldnt go mentioning it before you really need to.

Plus, like everyone else has said, if you can keep it covered up with your clothing it should be fine. . .