PDA

View Full Version : JET alternatives for 2nd year in Japan

mrcharisma
September 22nd, 2011, 15:48
Hey guys

I'm finding the JET programme and life in Japan reasonably pleasant and manageable so far, but can't help but feel that while the small city I've been placed in is ok, I would rather be somewhere else if I choose to stay in the country after the year is up.

I'm in a fairly bland prefecture with few interesting sights and no major cities and while it's not too far from a much busier region, getting away to a big / interesting / exciting place is just far enough and just expensive enough to be a bit of a hassle. I know many people say that living in a more rural environment can be scenic and rewarding, but to be honest it was the bright lights and big cities that attracted me to Japan in the first place. My home country has more than enough rural charms of its own and I think I'd enjoy something different from my time here.

Obviously, moving elsewhere would be practically impossible on JET, but are there any options for similar jobs in the big cities? I know money may be a bit lower but would be willing to take a hit in my paypacket if the experience was worthwhile.

Electrolite
September 22nd, 2011, 19:47
Try the ohayosensei newsletter.