PDA

View Full Version : Right out of Uni

Doodlebug
September 22nd, 2011, 22:12
Is anybody applying whilst they are in their final year at university, is this rare or the norm, do people usually take time out before hand to. Also, as far as you know does it make any difference if my degree is a Non-Honors BA degree? I managed to fail a module and Im really not fussed about taking on a fourth year to get an honours

Cheers

Regards

- Doodle x

miss_doitsu
September 23rd, 2011, 00:20
It's the norm. Most people will be applying from university.
I *think* officially it doesn't matter but you know, JET is pretty competitive... you'll want to come off the best you can on paper, so...

dvae
September 23rd, 2011, 01:34
I decided to take a year out and apply for 2012 instead of 2011, mainly because my graduation is quite late (not until November) and really didn't want to miss it. It's also given me a chance to get some money saved up and take a TEFL course in preparation. I don't think the non-honours should affect your chances but competition is high so you should try to make the rest of your application as great as possible (which you should be doing anyway) to compensate.

miss_doitsu
September 23rd, 2011, 19:15
Your TEFL course will have little effect on your application, and you will most likely not use your skills should you be accepted. Just to warn you :-)

wicket
September 23rd, 2011, 19:32
the first time i did jet i only had 6 months' work experience out of uni. [aussies graduate in november, so i had to fill in the time until i left for japan the following july]. the second time i did jet i had 13 years' work experience.

it doesn't matter about the degree - it's to fulfill a visa requirement, that's all.

you've got as good a chance as anyone. just make sure there are NO stupid errors or motherhood statements in your application.

wicket
September 23rd, 2011, 19:33
miss_doitsu, are you a current JET, ex-JET or aspring JET?

melty
September 23rd, 2011, 19:50
I know plenty of ex-JETs that applied in their last year of Uni...this isn't a problem as long as you graduate, and can prove you have graduated before the end of July...

Doodlebug
September 24th, 2011, 01:56
excellent, cheers for the advice, i dont feel at all hindered by the lack of Honors tbh, university is kinda a joke, iv learnt far more outside it than in

miss_doitsu
September 24th, 2011, 23:05
miss_doitsu, are you a current JET, ex-JET or aspring JET?

Haha, you worked out the new name but just to clarify for new people - I am an ex-JET; was in Mie for two fantastic years and now work in Germany.. hence the name change.

dvae
September 26th, 2011, 07:49
Your TEFL course will have little effect on your application, and you will most likely not use your skills should you be accepted. Just to warn you :-)

From what I've seen so far (and this opinion might be completely wrong) JET applicants seem to be split into two camps:

1. People fresh out of uni who aren't too sure about what they want to do career wise and think going abroad for a year will be fun. They apply because it's Japan, not because of an interest in teaching. When they return home will take up a completely different profession.
2. People who want to make a long term career out of teaching. People who have tailored their degree and education choices towards helping getting a foot in the door of this industry.

I'd guess that group 1 outnumbers group 2 by quite a lot, and being someone in the latter it's quite disappointing to hear that the extra effort I'm putting in might be dismissed completely.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I really hope you're wrong. :)

Jesskimo
September 26th, 2011, 09:35
Hi,
I'm in my last year of Uni and will be applying to Jet for 2012. I was considering doing a TEFL course to help my application, but reading that I'm a bit unsure now as it's a few hundred quid! I graduate at the end of July which sounds like it could be a problem, very annoying. Does anyone reckon it would be a problem, my graduation date? I get my results and stuff in June, but the ceremony is in July. May harrass my uni to do it earlier if it is!

melty
September 26th, 2011, 17:49
As I recall, people who graduate later than average are able to send a letter from the Registrar showing that they should graduate on time and then proof of graduation once they actually have graduated. I'm sure you'll be able to get more specific and up-to-date information from your Consulate, though. Don't worry too much! The whole point is just to make sure that you have a degree in hand before you start the ALT (or CIR) gig.

This is true, but I remember having a nightmare about the wording of that letter!! The Embassy in the UK was really strict about it (but maybe this would be less stressful if you apply somewhere else.)

I was the same as you and graduated in June with a graduation ceremony in July. I had to ensure that the letter said that I had already graduated (in the past tense) despite the fact that I hadn't. Don't worry about this too much unless you get in...but be aware you will need to check the exact wording with the Japanese Embassy before you request the letter from your registrar.

miss_doitsu
September 26th, 2011, 19:02
From what I've seen so far (and this opinion might be completely wrong) JET applicants seem to be split into two camps:

1. People fresh out of uni who aren't too sure about what they want to do career wise and think going abroad for a year will be fun. They apply because it's Japan, not because of an interest in teaching. When they return home will take up a completely different profession.
2. People who want to make a long term career out of teaching. People who have tailored their degree and education choices towards helping getting a foot in the door of this industry.

I'd guess that group 1 outnumbers group 2 by quite a lot, and being someone in the latter it's quite disappointing to hear that the extra effort I'm putting in might be dismissed completely.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I really hope you're wrong. :)

If you want to come on JET because you want to teach, then you are sadly going into the wrong programme. Ask how many ALTs here actually spend most of their work time teaching. As for myself, I have a degree in TESOL. It came in handy because I could make games easily, but I actually used my skills only once in a blue moon. I stood in the classroom "supporting" the JTE most of the time. There are cases where you do get to teach a lot. But, again, the Japanese way of doing things and the way you were taught to do things may be different.

Having qualifications in teaching *might* help you get onto JET, but it wont put you in a better place than your non-qualified JET friends. JET will look good on your CV for when you go off and get a real teaching job after.

I hope that I am wrong for your case too. But sadly I was a wide eyed qualified teacher who had hoped to be put to good use on JET. The fact that I wasn't, and that I wasn't treated as a fellow teacher was the reason why I left in the end since everything else about my time in Japan was awesome.

Tyr
September 28th, 2011, 09:41
I`d say to stick at uni. Graduating without honours...would not be good. Sure, for Jet it might be acceptable, but Jet isn`t a long term career, just think of how much that one extra year could affect the rest of your life.

That being said though, yeah, Jet straight from uni seems to be very much the norm, those of us who have done other stuff for a year or two are the weirdos.

As to TEFL and all that...yeah it`ll probally help your application but not by that much. Far better would be getting involved with international students, inter-cultural events, or just generally working with kids- volunteer at a youth club or somesuch.
It would take less time and money too.

If you want to come on JET because you want to teach, then you are sadly going into the wrong programme. Ask how many ALTs here actually spend most of their work time teaching. As for myself, I have a degree in TESOL. It came in handy because I could make games easily, but I actually used my skills only once in a blue moon. I stood in the classroom "supporting" the JTE most of the time. There are cases where you do get to teach a lot. But, again, the Japanese way of doing things and the way you were taught to do things may be different.

True on Jet not being that much of a real teaching experience but it certainly strikes me as something that would be pretty good experience at least on paper for those who want to be a teacher in the future.
It certainly helps them far more than those of us who want other jobs post-jet at least....

As I recall, people who graduate later than average are able to send a letter from the Registrar showing that they should graduate on time and then proof of graduation once they actually have graduated. I'm sure you'll be able to get more specific and up-to-date information from your Consulate, though. Don't worry too much! The whole point is just to make sure that you have a degree in hand before you start the ALT (or CIR) gig.
I certainly know a guy here who has yet to actually graduate, he did however get a letter in way back in...May or June or so saying he was meant to in July.

MJN
September 29th, 2011, 20:04
I certainly know a guy here who has yet to actually graduate, he did however get a letter in way back in...May or June or so saying he was meant to in July.

I was in that situation. I got a letter from my course leader at University saying I was expected to graduate with honours (And already had unclassified, thank you Scottish system) with my application back in November. My graduation was just past June.