PDA

View Full Version : How did you choose what part of the country suited you?

Pages : [1] 2

Doodlebug
September 24th, 2011, 02:11
How did you choose what part of the country suited you? in relation to area preferences. i dont really mind where i go as long as it either rural or a city, id go mad if i had to live in the suburbs. unfortunately im guessing that's where most teachers are needed though?

WaIdroon
September 24th, 2011, 09:44
I don't think they release numbers, but my impression is that fewer teachers are placed in city centers compared to rural or suburban locations. But I wouldn't worry about what to choose because generally JET doesn't place you in your requests.

atheistwithfaith
September 25th, 2011, 17:11
Why are suburbs bad and cities good for you?

Froren
September 25th, 2011, 17:57
Mentally prepare yourself to be placed in a town of 2000 where you're the only foreigner for 100km. If you get something better, then you can be excited. Low expectations!

Tyr
September 28th, 2011, 09:48
I agree with athiest, strange preferences, whats wrong with the suburbs that isn`t wrong with the country/city?

I would say though if you ask for rural then you probally will get froren`s mentioned wee village in the mountains. Everyone I`ve spoken to who made a point of asking for somewhere rural (only 3 people but...still) really got it.

How to chose is just personal preference. I went based on wanting somewhere reasonably central in the country and where I stood a chance of actually being placed.

word
September 28th, 2011, 15:16
I requested warm places down south. I was placed more in the middle, much further north than any of my requests. I requested rural. I got it. Though I regularly make fun of my inaka-ness, I actually really like it. I still sometimes wish I'd been put somewhere warmer.

uthinkimlost?
September 28th, 2011, 15:27
I received my top request.

Truthsauce
September 28th, 2011, 15:56
Tohoku chose me.

kawaiijutsu
September 28th, 2011, 16:09
I asked for places with pretty scenery and a good climate, preferably near shinkansens so I could travel easy. I think things worked out pretty well

greengoo
September 28th, 2011, 22:35
I asked for several very specific places and got put somewhere much cooler with the absolutely best prefecture for JET communities. Don't worry about it, you'll either like where you get placed regardless, or you'll whine and quit after a year.

Milanna
September 28th, 2011, 23:00
I lived in a cold, barren, freezing wasteland in the US and hate snow so I requested Kyushu, Kyushu, and as far south in Honshu as possible. I also wanted access to a gym, possible Japanese conversation/classes, and am terrified of mukade so I requested suburban.

I got a suburban placement in Kyushu (not the prefectures I requested, but one that borders them, has awesome people, and is just fine imo) with an excellent gym just a 10 minute bike ride away. The only way I could possibly be happier is if my rent wasn't so expensive compared to the other ALTs in the area and my neighbors weren't stupid noisy. :).

barca
September 28th, 2011, 23:28
I also wanted access to a gym

with an excellent gym just a 10 minute bike ride away.

Did you specifically request a placement in a prefecture with a high concentration of gyms or something? That right there sounds like a great place to be.

Milanna
September 28th, 2011, 23:34
Did you specifically request a placement in a prefecture with a high concentration of gyms or something? That right there sounds like a great place to be.
Hahaha, no. I didn't think being that picky would result in much. But I figured if I was lucky enough to get suburban then a gym (or at least a city with one) couldn't be too far off. You can get along fine without them in the inaka as far as I hear as there should be plenty of wide open space for walking and jogging, but I really love group classes so I'm happy to have several options nearby (going kickboxing this weekend)!

Sirrus
September 29th, 2011, 00:42
I requested areas in the middle to northern sections of the country as well as areas I had been to before (the farthest being Sendai). I live in a pretty temperate climate so I wasn't too keen on requesting a southern town or city based on what I've heard from others about how hot it can get in those areas. My preferences were mostly in suburbs.

semicolon
September 29th, 2011, 09:11
I didn't put down any preferences because I didn't really care where I was placed (I like to pretend that I'm a flexible human being when I'm really not). Luckily I ended up in what is pretty much the most awesome placement ever, for a number of very awesome reasons.

Just go with it.

Electrolite
September 29th, 2011, 17:40
i asked for osaka or nagoya and got neither. b*tches.

Alphabet
September 30th, 2011, 10:51
Cities rule.

Tyr
October 4th, 2011, 18:53
i asked for osaka or nagoya and got neither. b*tches.
If you'd done your research you'd find Nagoya has no Jets.
It was going to be my first choice for a while until that nugget was revealed.

Rage_and_Hairspray
October 4th, 2011, 21:17
Not sure whether to start a new thread for this, don't want to get jumped on what with being a newbie 'n' all. I'd like to take the question and switch it around a bit, if I may:

Where would you recommend for me?

I recently visited Japan, and traveled to Tokyo, Yokohama, Fuji, Hakuba and Kyoto. I thoroughly enjoyed Nagano-ken and the area around Kawaguchiko, as they had the rural/suburb feel that I go for. I know JETs don't often get placed in the big cities, but I would prefer somewhere not super inaka if at all possible.

From talking with some friends and former JETs, Kyushu and Gunma have been recommended to me, would you say these places are fair bets?

Takoyaki
October 4th, 2011, 23:13
would anyone have any recommendations for a particularly amazing city/prefecture?

mtreecorner
October 5th, 2011, 05:34
I am still thinking about where to list.

I was thinking Akita, Hokkaido, and Togichi in that order. I like the mountains and snow... and I have a person connection in togichi

Anyone been to Akita or Togichi (I figure Hokkaido has been talked about and is pretty straightforward)

lilyanphino
October 5th, 2011, 17:52
You might want to also consider Nagano because it has a ton of mountains and snow in the winter.

barca
October 5th, 2011, 22:46
Is "I don't want to put my toothpaste into my refrigerator to prevent it from freezing" a valid reason to pick prefectures in Chugoku, Shikoku, and Kyushu, or do I need to come up with something fancier?

uthinkimlost?
October 5th, 2011, 23:06
Is "I don't want to put my toothpaste into my refrigerator to prevent it from freezing" a valid reason to pick prefectures in Chugoku, Shikoku, and Kyushu, or do I need to come up with something fancier?

You can pick what you want, odds are good you will be bubble wrapping your windows and stacking kotatsu.

I doubt seeking warmth is a reason given much weight.

melty
October 5th, 2011, 23:07
would anyone have any recommendations for a particularly amazing city/prefecture?

The thing is, most JETs (not all!!) really love their placements, so whenever you ask this question you'll have people listing wherever they went themselves!

Having said that, Nara is truly brilliant. ;)

bonse
October 5th, 2011, 23:40
Are there certain placements that request certain nationalities? I think I read something about that before but I can't remember where?

I guess I'm asking that if this is true where would an Irish person most likely end up?

coop52
October 6th, 2011, 11:20
I've heard of places with sister city relationships asking for someone from the sister city, but this doesn't work all the time. I requested Fukuoka, which is a sister city of Atlanta, but I ended up in Tottori. I'm happy with my placement though. I'd recommend keeping an open mind. I think almost everywhere is going to have a combination of hellish summers, giant bugs, and ridiculously cold winters.

StreetsAhead
October 6th, 2011, 15:15
Are there certain placements that request certain nationalities? I think I read something about that before but I can't remember where?

I guess I'm asking that if this is true where would an Irish person most likely end up?

I know Shimane Prefecture, north of Hiroshima, has traditionally had a lot of Irish ALTs/CIRs because of Lafcadio Hearn.

Page
October 6th, 2011, 15:40

Nope, 'cause it doesn't happen! At least not with toothpaste or contact solution. Olive oil, though..

No matter where you go you'll probably be at least a little colder than usual because the (usual) lack on insulation.

Kewne
October 7th, 2011, 04:30
Is there a list somewhere of all available placements/areas possible? I've been using a search engine, but can't find it.

Ladama
October 7th, 2011, 05:58
Is there a list somewhere of all available placements/areas possible? I've been using a search engine, but can't find it.
Every prefecture participates in JET, but some have 150+ JETs while others have less than 10. The JET Pamphlet lists the number of each type of JET in each prefecture and designated city.
The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/current/pubs/pamphlet.html)

Keep in mind the number of positions are constantly changing, even the number in that pamphlet are from July, so they don't reflect this years new JETs.

Kewne
October 7th, 2011, 06:14
Every prefecture participates in JET, but some have 150+ JETs while others have less than 10.

Keep in mind the number of positions are constantly changing

Thanks. It helps to know, even if it might not be accurate, it hopefully won't change drastically (i.e. 100+ places down to 10 places), so it could give a general idea.

Tyr
October 8th, 2011, 19:06

It happens to an extent but its like...if an area has a lot of Brazillians they would love a Portuguese speaker or if it has a special link with a certain city in America it wants someone from there. Nothing happens so broadly as country x tends to go to prefecture x, you could go anywhere.

General advice in choosing preferences-
As mentioned, no Nagoya.
Tokyo=small tropical islands 14 or something hours from the mainland.
Overly overt Tokyo dancers do seem to get placed randomly.
Sister cities, prefectures, historical links to your home, etc.... always go down well. Certainly my prefecture has links with a certain US state and as a result we have rather a lot of people from there (not all Jet though admittedly)
Pick prefectures from a wide range of areas. IIRC on the application it actually says your 3rd at least should be in a different area.
If you want Okinawa or Hokkaido then put it and you'll probally get it, its what most incoming Jets dread.
Find some reasons why you're choosing these places. Even if it means doing a bit of research and learning a little historic story. Preference choices does tend to come up in interviews a lot.

atheistwithfaith
October 9th, 2011, 23:33
It happens to an extent but its like...if an area has a lot of Brazillians they would love a Portuguese speaker or if it has a special link with a certain city in America it wants someone from there. Nothing happens so broadly as country x tends to go to prefecture x, you could go anywhere..

I think as well in the case of municipal (city-based) JETs, if they had an American or a Brit or an Aussie and they really liked them they might just make a sweeping judgement that all of that nationality are awesome and request another one.

deadking
October 10th, 2011, 01:08
I was going to go with the sister city idea, but NYC's sister city is Tokyo, and it's not very likely I'll get placed there.

If anything, I'll probably ask for Hokkaido, since I prefer the colder climate and a bit of isolation comes with the territory with me.

katsuobushi
October 10th, 2011, 22:25
I think as well in the case of municipal (city-based) JETs, if they had an American or a Brit or an Aussie and they really liked them they might just make a sweeping judgement that all of that nationality are awesome and request another one.

Aomori for one. As noted by the fact that the past three British CIR's in that city have all come from my university.... and off the same course.

Silhouette
October 11th, 2011, 03:44
I'm hoping for the prefecture with the highest concentration of shojin ryori restaurants. Don't think that will wash though, nor do I know which prefecture it is.

Froren
October 11th, 2011, 16:25
I'm hoping for the prefecture with the highest concentration of shojin ryori restaurants. Don't think that will wash though, nor do I know which prefecture it is.

probably Kyoto, somewhere 'old' Japan

also, if you've never been here, prepare to pay big money for shojin restaurants, if you've been here and are aware, please disregard this.

Silhouette
October 19th, 2011, 04:25
probably Kyoto, somewhere 'old' Japan

also, if you've never been here, prepare to pay big money for shojin restaurants, if you've been here and are aware, please disregard this.

Thanks. No I wasn't aware it was expensive, I'll start saving now :)

dialogue
October 19th, 2011, 15:35
If anything, I'll probably ask for Hokkaido, since I prefer the colder climate and a bit of isolation comes with the territory with me.

You will need a car.

Froren
October 24th, 2011, 10:32
Thanks. No I wasn't aware it was expensive, I'll start saving now :)

They are generally very 'nice,' almost upscale, albiet, traditional restaurants. At most you will get your own little room with sliding doors and the employees will all be wearing kimonos. People bring dates or go in larger groups. It would be weird to go there alone.

erinmarie
October 24th, 2011, 11:04
I have four places that I'd like to request so I need to eliminate one. I'm looking at Gunma, Shizuoka, Mie and, Kagawa.

I'm an artist so it is important to me that I'm near an art community. I chose Kagawa because of Naoshima and its contemporary art scene, Gunma because its within 2 hours of Tokyo by train (obviously the art capitol of Japan), Mie and Shizuoka because they are known for traditional crafts and are close to big cities.

I'm also very outdoorsy hence Mie, Gunma, and Shizuoka. I like camping, backpacking, mountain climbing, and canoeing. Lastly, I'd rather not have to buy a car. Any recommendations?

uthinkimlost?
October 24th, 2011, 11:42
I have four places that I'd like to request so I need to eliminate one. I'm looking at Gunma, Shizuoka, Mie and, Kagawa.

I'm an artist so it is important to me that I'm near an art community. I chose Kagawa because of Naoshima and its contemporary art scene, Gunma because its within 2 hours of Tokyo by train (obviously the art capitol of Japan), Mie and Shizuoka because they are known for traditional crafts and are close to big cities.

I'm also very outdoorsy hence Mie, Gunma, and Shizuoka. I like camping, backpacking, mountain climbing, and canoeing. Lastly, I'd rather not have to buy a car. Any recommendations?

You know you won't be invited to join the Gutai, right?

The truth is you won't be able to throw a rock in most prefectures without hitting something arts and/or crafts. Depending on how much you want to stay in the 'real art scene' or how much you want to experience new techniques, you will definitely be able to find lacquerware, woodcarving, calligraphy, and sometimes metalworking. (Often in the schools, if you are in a SHS.)

Be warned that plenty of JETs do the 'Tokyo Ring Dance' when requesting, and that even if you get your request it might not be what you expect. (ie There are places in Gunma that will take a LOT longer than two hourse to get from toTokyo.)

lilyanphino
October 24th, 2011, 17:25
I will go ahead and say that you should put down Gunma because it is awesome! BUT the placements inside Gunma are super varried. You could be in a city without need for a car or you can be in a tiny village in the mountains where your schools are hour long drives apart. I might be 2 hours from Tokyo, but a few of my friends in the northern part of Gunma are closer to 3 hours away.

PS: JET Community is active and has a lot of cool people.

Takoyaki
October 24th, 2011, 17:31
i put down Kobe, Hyōgo and Saitama, only as that general area seems to be in good proximity to many of the places id like to visit, has an active JET community...... and the fact i read half your rent will be paid for by the gov didn't hurt

i could be swayed however

erinmarie
October 24th, 2011, 20:51
You know you won't be invited to join the Gutai, right?

The truth is you won't be able to throw a rock in most prefectures without hitting something arts and/or crafts. Depending on how much you want to stay in the 'real art scene' or how much you want to experience new techniques, you will definitely be able to find lacquerware, woodcarving, calligraphy, and sometimes metalworking. (Often in the schools, if you are in a SHS.)

Be warned that plenty of JETs do the 'Tokyo Ring Dance' when requesting, and that even if you get your request it might not be what you expect. (ie There are places in Gunma that will take a LOT longer than two hourse to get from toTokyo.)

The only reason I'd be going to Tokyo is for the art museums but I guess I can do that on any long weekend from anywhere.

Thanks for the advice on Gunma. My only hesitency with that prefecture is how cold it gets. I'm from Texas and would rather bathe in sweat than have a my nose be cold... but you can't win 'em all.

Merkypie
October 25th, 2011, 00:33
I put down Kyoto, Wakayama, and Fukui. Kyoto is where my family is from, Wakayama has a sister-state relationship with mine, and Fukui is close to Kyoto and looks cool from what I've seen in terms of JET relationships, scenery, and other stuff.

sloth
October 25th, 2011, 05:36
I'm leaning towards putting down Hyogo, Kyoto and Osaka. Anyone know if they still take jets in Takarazuka?

Gizmotech
October 25th, 2011, 12:57
The comment about Okinawa and Hokkaido are BS. I put both of those on my app, as I wanted either super warm or exactly like home, and then they give me west coast Tohoku Japan. I would've KILLED to be somewhere without snow for the first time in my life... sadly this did not happen.

hunterofpeace
October 26th, 2011, 00:02
I have Nara and Kobe so far... trying to think of another good place in the same vicinity. I have a friend studying in Osaka and many of the members of my Japanese church are also from there. I don't really want to live in a big city. I'm from Birmingham, but I live in the suburbs. Suggestions?

Merkypie
October 26th, 2011, 00:52
Wakayama Prefecture, outside of Wakayama City, is the boondocks of the Kinki region. So if you like the boondocks, then pick that since all your choices have been in the Kinki region.

Fukui Prefecture is also a neighboring prefecture to Kyoto. I think there's also Okayama Prefecture. I'm not too familiar with Okayama.

Idril
October 26th, 2011, 08:29
I think there's also Okayama Prefecture. I'm not too familiar with Okayama.

I am and it's gorgeous. The majority of it is rural though, so most placements I expect would be rural, perhaps suburban. It's going to be one of my preferences.

Btw I swear I've seen your icon on ONTD 0.o

Merkypie
October 26th, 2011, 09:21
I am and it's gorgeous. The majority of it is rural though, so most placements I expect would be rural, perhaps suburban. It's going to be one of my preferences.

Btw I swear I've seen your icon on ONTD 0.o

That's because I am on ONTD :V

Okayama looks nice from Google maps, but a bit far from the central heart of Kinki. :(

mtreecorner
October 26th, 2011, 09:22
Ok. I think I'm going with 1)Akita 2)Hokkaido and 3)Nagano or Tochigi

I love mountains and snow... I'm a nature guy. So Nagano fits that but for Tochigi, I have a personal connection with a family living there.

Thoughts?

.rach.
October 26th, 2011, 10:45
I'm really torn about this. I have a classmate from college who is from Hokkaido, and it seems like ideal weather for my tastes. My sister city is in Nagano (Suwa), but I'm really drawn to the prefectures in Shikoku because of my interest in Buddhism and I hear that it can also be very rural. I grew up on a farm and I am more than ok with the rural scene. However, though I've looked up a lot about all of these areas, I really don't KNOW anything about them. I feel like any reason I would give for wanting any of these prefectures would be very superficial. :(

Merkypie
October 26th, 2011, 11:15
What I like to do when researching an area is Google map drive the area. Like, go to google maps and start street viewing around the prefecture:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltjqr1BSn91qd9prxo1_500.png

I also go on Youtube and look up vlogs by ALTs in the area to get their opinions on where they live. I'll even do a AJET search to see if the network in the prefecture is a decent one.

Then I do the obligatory Wikipedia/JA Wikipedia read up to know more about whats in the area, the dialect, etc.

.rach.
October 26th, 2011, 11:18
Those are all very good ideas! You're are very thorough!

uthinkimlost?
October 26th, 2011, 11:24
What I like to do when researching an area is Google map drive the area. Like, go to google maps and start street viewing around the prefecture.

LAWL.

Ain't none of ya gonna be placed anywhere where google street view has been.

Seriously, only the biggest cities and major interstates have been done.

You might get an idea from the pics posted on panoramio google maps, but keep in mind they only photograph and post the things worth posting. You might be in a soviet-like gray apaato block with a view of your neighbour's wall two feet away, with those pretty pics kilometers away.

Don't spend too much time thinking about this stuff.

Merkypie
October 26th, 2011, 11:39
LAWL.

Seriously, only the biggest cities and major interstates have been done.

I was hoping to end up here tbqh (http://g.co/maps/adujs)!

Some boondock roads have been done and end very quickly. Though, while Google Street View isn't an exact representation it still gives a feel for the area... or at least the nearest town.

uthinkimlost?
October 26th, 2011, 12:04
When that nearest street view town is 100km away it doesn't help at all.

Merkypie
October 26th, 2011, 13:08
Ah, well, it's still a boredom killer while in class.

Gizmotech
October 26th, 2011, 14:22
ROFL. I live in a city of 100k people and street view has NEVER been here. Good luck! (It only gets smaller from here :P)

uthinkimlost?
October 26th, 2011, 14:28
I live in a city of 100k people

Quit Bragging!

JackAttack
October 26th, 2011, 15:51
Anyone know if they still take jets in Takarazuka?

Yes. Yes they do. A couple SHS ALTs, as far as I know.

LAWL.

My city has street view!

So it's possible.

sloth
October 26th, 2011, 16:10

OOOOOOoooh... That's interesting. Do you know who has that placement and do they like it? I'm interested in the theater there and contemplating putting it down.

uthinkimlost?
October 26th, 2011, 18:09

My city has street view!

So it's possible.

Quit bragging!

I thought you swore you were gone forever last time.

Tyr
October 26th, 2011, 19:10
Google earth researching placestends to give a super distorted view of where you're going.
I've tried it a bunch of times when I was moving somewhere new, including this time, my actual situation isn't like what I expected from map browsing.

As to street view....yeah. My city is over 100k and there's no street view.

JackAttack
October 31st, 2011, 08:59
OOOOOOoooh... That's interesting. Do you know who has that placement and do they like it? I'm interested in the theater there and contemplating putting it down.

I don't personally know the current ALTs there, but I knew a couple of the past ones and they liked it. One stayed 3 years, I think.

I visited once and it's a really nice area! Haven't been to the theater yet, but I'm hoping to go next month for their Alice in Wonderland show...

sloth
October 31st, 2011, 10:05
I don't personally know the current ALTs there, but I knew a couple of the past ones and they liked it. One stayed 3 years, I think.

I visited once and it's a really nice area! Haven't been to the theater yet, but I'm hoping to go next month for their Alice in Wonderland show...
Awesome. I'm going to put it down as fantasy choice but I'm hoping that if I get in I'll end up in Kansai region.

I would love to hear your reaction to Alice in Wonderland. People seem to be very split after seeing a takarazuka show, they either really like it or they really hate. Personally, I'm really hoping it gets a DVD release. .. mostly for the character of Nightmare, as it is played by an actress that is half American.

Teishou
November 2nd, 2011, 07:37
1. Kobe.
2. Osaka.
3. Somewhere not Tokyo/Nagoya. Uh. How 'bout Sapporo?

Whatever. :<

Froren
November 2nd, 2011, 08:51
3 City selections? Good luck. You won't end up within 4 hours of probably any of those.

Teishou
November 2nd, 2011, 10:42
No matter. I just don't want to end up Kantou side really. Anywhere else is perfectly fine.

uthinkimlost?
November 2nd, 2011, 10:46
No matter. I just don't want to end up Kantou side really. Anywhere else is perfectly fine.

lol.

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2011, 11:28
A friend of mine ended up in Kobe this year through JET. Not impossible, just damned unlikely :)

JackAttack
November 2nd, 2011, 11:53
Kobe City takes over 100 JETs, btw, and that's not including the Hyogo BoE placements in the city. It's entirely possible to get placed there.

I would love to hear your reaction to Alice in Wonderland. People seem to be very split after seeing a takarazuka show, they either really like it or they really hate. Personally, I'm really hoping it gets a DVD release. .. mostly for the character of Nightmare, as it is played by an actress that is half American.

I'll msg you after I go!! Alice in Wonderland is only showing for a short time, so I really hope I'm able to go. Haven't heard any bad reviews yet!

Idril
November 2nd, 2011, 12:16
1. Nishinomiya
2. Hyogo
3. Okayama.

I thought about Kobe, but I don't want to live in a shoebox + I want a HS placement. My consulate is sister cities with Kobe, so looking at previous Aussie placements there's a chance I'll end up there anyway.

sloth
November 2nd, 2011, 14:34
I'll msg you after I go!! Alice in Wonderland is only showing for a short time, so I really hope I'm able to go. Haven't heard any bad reviews yet!
Please do! Takarazuka is what fueled my interest in Japan and I hope to end up somewhere pretty close so that I can catch some shows.

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2011, 14:48
Can I make a small suggestion for people who are requesting cities?

Please don't set your heart on any one place. You MIGHT get lucky on your placement request, but if you're too focused on where you want to be specifically you will become VERY depressed/depressing if/when you don't get it. We have an ALT nearby who really wanted one type of environment and when he didn't get it... well... lets just say the first few months weren't the most pleasant for him.

Heck, not getting any of my "warm" places kinda bummed me out for a few weeks before leaving for Japan, thankfully being Canadian and born in an Igloo next to polar bears, the idea of being cold with winter doesn't phase me all that much :)

sloth
November 2nd, 2011, 14:57
Was it hard getting used to not having your polar bear to ride to school everyday?

Gizmotech
November 2nd, 2011, 14:59
Was it hard getting used to not having your polar bear to ride to school everyday?

You have no idea... Once you ride polar bear you just can't ride anything else.

hunterofpeace
November 2nd, 2011, 15:11
I asked a few Japanese friends for advice on what to put down for my third option (I have Nara and Kobe currently) and they said Nagoya. Would it be a waste of a placement request to put this because all the people who wish they were in Tokyo will also be requesting it?

Really, I have no idea where I want to be. Just somewhere that I won't turn into an ice cube. Or a mutant. Noooooooot the best reasons, really.

Gezora
November 2nd, 2011, 15:19
Nor in Aichi if I understand correctly, at least for prefectural JETs.

hunterofpeace
November 2nd, 2011, 16:29
Ah, thank you. Good to know.

I would just go ahead and request Osaka but that will put all three of my requests in the Kansai region, which isn't allowed.

Idk why I care... I probably won't get my placement. I know I will adapt to whatever...

Merkypie
November 2nd, 2011, 16:58
Why don't you look at like Gifu or Mie... Maybe the Hokuriku region?

hunterofpeace
November 2nd, 2011, 22:49
Mie is in Kansai too.

I'll look into Gifu.

I actually had Kanazawa down last year, but doesn't it get a lot of snow/rain/typhoons?

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 01:36
My choices are

1. Sapporo
2. Otaru
3. Okinawa

Not sure the chances of actually getting any of these, but they are my "hope for the best" places. I don't have any "prepare for the worst" places. Well, except for places right near the "radiation epicenters" but that's only because my idiot father keeps going on and on about the dangers of travelling to Japan and its radiation, and I'd rather not have the constant harrassment from him warning me about how the radiation will get me if I'm too close to the places he reads about in the news. But again, he's an idiot, so I never take his opinion into too much consideration.

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 01:40
Driving by the application with my old pin, I like how it says this for Early Departure:

Would you like to be considered for early placement if there are any vacant positions by the end of February 2012? Please enter Y for yes; if not, enter N for no. Those who select “yes” for this question will need to submit their Criminal Record and Certificate of Health to the Embassy at the time of application, or to their interview Embassy or Consulate General by the end of January at the latest. Please bear in mind, however, that those who select “yes” for this question can only be placed where vacancies are available, regardless of their requests in question 16 below. Those who select “yes” for this question but are not selected for the early arrival group will still be considered as candidates for the Group A/B departures.

Pretty much like, you are not going to get your placements regardless of what you put down. Imma still put down my requests, lol.

nicole.ai
November 3rd, 2011, 01:46
Driving by the application with my old pin, I like how it says this for Early Departure:

Pretty much like, you are not going to get your placements regardless of what you put down. Imma still put down my requests, lol.

Thanks for the heads up Merkypie! I'm gonna do the same as you, and put my requests down, even though the likelihood of getting them is very, very, very small.

Silhouette
November 3rd, 2011, 03:56
Ah, thank you. Good to know.

I would just go ahead and request Osaka but that will put all three of my requests in the Kansai region, which isn't allowed.

You serious brah? You can't have all 3 requests in the same region?

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 04:18
You serious brah? You can't have all 3 requests in the same region?

On the American application, you can't.

deadking
November 3rd, 2011, 04:30

That sucks, but at least I know through my checking that all my potential requests are in difference regions. :|

asilverthread
November 3rd, 2011, 05:16
Out of curiosity, is anyone not putting down any placement requests?

Silhouette
November 3rd, 2011, 05:21

That really does suck. Is there any explanation as to why?

hunterofpeace
November 3rd, 2011, 05:30
You can have 2 in the same region, but the third has to be somewhere else. I think it's to keep people from doing the Tokyo ring dance.

Merkypie
November 3rd, 2011, 05:39
or the Osaka ring dance.

I also think its also because they probably want their applicants to be open to all options. IE: You can't just pick Hokuriku, you need to spread out a bit.

hunterofpeace
November 3rd, 2011, 05:45
Oh I would be super guilty of the Osaka ring dance if I were allowed.

Silhouette
November 3rd, 2011, 05:58
Pretty much the Kyoto ring dance for me. I'm tempted to put somewhere further south though, not that it will make much difference.

alutemu
November 3rd, 2011, 07:25
I'm interested in Kyudo and Kendo, but the research I've done on them isn't turning up any rural/suburb destinations I could put down. Do inaka have a higher chance of having a kyudo dojo over cities, vice versa, or could someone enlighten me?

uthinkimlost?
November 3rd, 2011, 07:27
I'm interested in Kyudo and Kendo, but the research I've done on them isn't turning up any rural/suburb destinations I could put down. Do inaka have a higher chance of having a kyudo dojo over cities, vice versa, or could someone enlighten me?

You would be hard pressed to find a place in Japan without kendo.

Petesmp
November 4th, 2011, 05:50
Regarding Placement from the Official JET Forums:

JET Programme Forums &bull; View topic - JET Program Myths (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10024)

"The JET Program only has placements in very rural areas of Japan" - Although it is true that most of the placements on the JET Program are rural there are still many suburban and urban placements. These placements may not be in the areas that are as well known (i.e. Tokyo) as other urban placements, but if you are interested in a more urban setting research Japan and find a city that may not have as many placement requests. I recommend referring to p.11 of the JET Brochure put out by CLAIR http://www.jetprogramme.org/documents/p ... _jet_E.pdf

"You have a better chance of being accepted to the JET Program if I put "No Preference" when requesting placement" - Ideally a JET Participant will thrive wherever they will be placed in Japan, but this doesn't mean the program does not take into account an applicant's placement request and it does not help/hurt you if you put "No Preference" on your application. I recommend that when applying you research Japan and match your interests to the locations you request. JET Participants are in Japan for a minimum of one year, we want them to be comfortable and happy where they will be living.

Gezora
November 4th, 2011, 11:01
Mie is in Kansai too.

I'll look into Gifu.

I actually had Kanazawa down last year, but doesn't it get a lot of snow/rain/typhoons?
If you pick Gifu you could get lucky and be relatively close to Nagoya. Or you could be up near Takayama in the middle of nothing but snow and mountains.

hunterofpeace
November 4th, 2011, 14:22
I decided to go with Hiroshima because of the history. So now I have Nara, Kobe, and Hiroshima. Does that seem random? If I were asked in interview why I picked what I did, I wouldn't know what to say. I mean, Nara is known for history too I suppose but I mostly picked Kobe because of da fooooood.

Gizmotech
November 4th, 2011, 14:32
I decided to go with Hiroshima because of the history. So now I have Nara, Kobe, and Hiroshima. Does that seem random? If I were asked in interview why I picked what I did, I wouldn't know what to say. I mean, Nara is known for history too I suppose but I mostly picked Kobe because of da fooooood.

The reason I chose these places is they provide a variety of authentic traditional Japanese experiences while still being modern in an urban sense. Also, they are all on the main part of Honshu where I would ideally like to be placed as it is easier to travel to other areas and increase my exposure to the country.

/end bullshit/

Say something like that and you'll be fine. There's ALWAYS a way to justify your choices, you just gotta think about it a bit :P

hunterofpeace
November 4th, 2011, 14:51
Bahaha, awesome. Thank you Gizmotech, king of bullshit.

Truthsauce
November 4th, 2011, 14:56
The reason I chose these places is they provide a variety of authentic traditional Japanese experiences while still being modern in an urban sense. Also, they are all on the main part of Honshu where I would ideally like to be placed as it is easier to travel to other areas and increase my exposure to the country.

/end bullshit/

Say something like that and you'll be fine. There's ALWAYS a way to justify your choices, you just gotta think about it a bit :P

Don't mention how you want to do a lot of traveling. They're hiring you to serve a community, not provide you with a study abroad experience.

Teishou
November 4th, 2011, 14:58
Huh, so in the end, I chose Kobe, Gifu, and somewhere in Shikkoku.

Gizmotech
November 4th, 2011, 15:06
Don't mention how you want to do a lot of traveling. They're hiring you to serve a community, not provide you with a study abroad experience.

Agreed! It's okay to say you want to see the country, but if they hear that you're never gonna be at home (not like they should care anyways but whatever) then they might get upset.

WishfulDreamer
November 5th, 2011, 01:35
Is that a typical interview question, asking for specifics on why applicants put in certain placement requests?

Kewne
November 5th, 2011, 01:38
Is that a typical interview question, asking for specifics on why applicants put in certain placement requests?

I was asked it (in London), but it was a very quick one. I imagine it'd be longer if you had some special reason though.

mtreecorner
November 5th, 2011, 01:46
From what I have been told by many people... yes.

AliDimayev
November 5th, 2011, 01:49

Aboslutely.

WishfulDreamer
November 5th, 2011, 03:53
Thanks, guys. I just know I want rural, but am unsure of where I should request. I definitely wouldn't have any credible reasons for selecting these places beyond trivial preference. I know the chances of getting your request are practically nil, so I'm thinking of just not putting any preferences at all.

Merkypie
November 5th, 2011, 04:25
I know the chances of getting your request are practically nil, so I'm thinking of just not putting any preferences at all.

Don't do that. A lot of JETs get either one of their three preferences so put down something. Alternates, I've noticed, are the ones that tend to be assed out on their preference. It shows the interviewers you're at least doing your research and care about where you're going to be placed.

Google the 47 prefectures, find which ones are pretty boondocky and go from there.

asilverthread
November 5th, 2011, 04:33
Thanks, guys. I just know I want rural, but am unsure of where I should request. I definitely wouldn't have any credible reasons for selecting these places beyond trivial preference. I know the chances of getting your request are practically nil, so I'm thinking of just not putting any preferences at all.

Are you could base it one what type of environment you want. Mountains? Near the ocean? Warm? Snow? I think that at least will give you something to focus on.

WishfulDreamer
November 5th, 2011, 06:16
I'll do that, then. Thank you very much for the advice!

I have been looking at all of the options within prefectures and have seen some pretty nice places. Still debating on which three to narrow down to, but I won't dwell on it too much.

AliDimayev
November 5th, 2011, 06:17
DOn't say near the mountains!

DarkCloudInc
November 5th, 2011, 08:06
I pretty much chose places I think would be pretty warm and by water. So, Tottori, Nara, and Yamanashi. Those seem pretty nice.

AliDimayev
November 5th, 2011, 08:07
I chose a place because it was near the sanmyaku.

Merkypie
November 5th, 2011, 08:15
I pretty much chose places I think would be pretty warm and by water. So, Tottori, Nara, and Yamanashi. Those seem pretty nice.

Isn't Nara a land locked prefecture....?

lilyanphino
November 5th, 2011, 09:20
Don't do that. A lot of JETs get either one of their three preferences so put down something. Alternates, I've noticed, are the ones that tend to be assed out on their preference. It shows the interviewers you're at least doing your research and care about where you're going to be placed.

Google the 47 prefectures, find which ones are pretty boondocky and go from there.

Also, even if you don't get one of your requests, there is a good chance that you will get a neighboring prefecture to one of your requests.

uthinkimlost?
November 5th, 2011, 10:15
Alternates, I've noticed, are the ones that tend to be assed out on their preference.

I know secrets that make that totally lol.

There is truth in that they seem to try to place you in prefectures around your requests.

And if you have good reasons you might as well ask for what you want.

But don't spend hours doing research if you genuinely have no idea right now.

Focus on getting in.

DarkCloudInc
November 5th, 2011, 12:36
Isn't Nara a land locked prefecture....?It's close enough to a body of water for me, heh. It looks close enough on google maps.

Paper Moon
December 4th, 2011, 21:46
I chose Takamatsu (Kagawa), Ishikawa, and Kyoto. I also asked to be placed in a urban setting.

The truth is that I would definitely not mind living in a rural setting. I lived in the rural part of Thailand (Issan) and I much prefered it to the tourist-infested urban cities such as Phuket and Bangkok (however I did love Chaing Mai).

The reason that I asked for urban, is because I know that it is much easier to be a vegetarian in urban settings than it is to be one in a rural setting. There is a higher chance that there are Indian immigrants living in urban centres who will be sympathetic to my ethical beliefs. That is not to say that Japanese people will not be kind and understanding, just that it will be nice to not have to explain precisely what I can and cannot eat everytime that I go out. I am prepared to have to do that (I did in Thailand) and to cook for myself most of the time, but it would be my preference not to have to.

I would like to be in a big enough city that I can travel realtively well, get vegetarian food, experience many cultural events etc... but a city that is not far from forests, mountains, beaches, or other nautral landscapes to explore. That is why the cities/prefectures I chose are relatively inaka (except for Kyoto), but have nice-sized cities within them.

I chose Takamatsu, Kagawa because one of my Professors lived and taught there. She was a vegetarian too and said that the place was beautiful. It also happens to be the sister city of my birth-city, so I was able to put that as my reason in the application.

I chose Ishikawa from my own research. It seems to have many festivals and art, beautiful, mountainous landscapes, and the photos of its major cities are breathtaking. I have also heard good things about it from reading what JETs on this forum had to say about it. It seems perfect for me- rural, but with good access to relatively big cities.

I chose Kyoto because my Professor (the one mentioned above) told me that it is her favourite city in Japan. I know that my chances of getting Kyoto city are slim, and that is why I did not put it as my first choice, but I figured that it could not hurt to put it as one of my alternative choices. The history and culture of Kyoto would be awe-inspiring in live in everyday. I have heard that most people placed anywhere near Kyoto are about a 3-hours-drive from Kyoto city proper, but I can drive 1 hour in my city (in Florida) and still be within the city limits. Long drives are not a big problem for me. As long as there is a decent bus or train system (and by "decent" I mean one that runs at all... My city is famous for lacking public transporation) then I will be happy.

All of my places are fairly southern too... I have never lived anywhere cold, so I would not like to start with Hokkaido. Ishikawa is about as far noth as I would like to live. Again, I am prepared to live in a colder place, but my preference is for a slightly warmer place. If I interview, then I will be interviewing in Miami, so hopefully they will understand my plight!

That turned in a rather long rant, but basically

Too Long; Didn't read: I want a relatively big city where vegetarian food might be more readily available, but in a fairly Inaka prefecture...

But I am open to going anywhere.

Ini
December 4th, 2011, 22:27
Unless you are in the center of Tokyo nobody will understand the concept of vegetarianism so it doesn't really matter where you apply

uthinkimlost?
December 4th, 2011, 23:05
Ham is a seasoning here.

Gizmotech
December 5th, 2011, 08:39
Unless you are in the center of Tokyo nobody will understand the concept of vegetarianism so it doesn't really matter where you apply

Not true Ini... Out in my little sticks of a town (okay not that little... 100k in tohoku), we have a vegetarian restaurant which is actually quite impressive. They serve pure Vegi, Vegi w/ cheese, and for some dishes you can choose the stock they make it with, either a vegetarian stock or a chick stock. It's quite god and not terribly expensive either.

I've also had quite a bit of success when booking nights out (ie 3-4 people on a set meal) and asked for a vegetarian course at a restaurant for one of the people, namely me :P

Obamajomama
December 5th, 2011, 14:36
Claiming a food preference will not ensure you a placement.

Don't think for a second they care at all about you wanting to live in a city because you don't like meat.

I'm raw vegan.

Ini
December 5th, 2011, 16:36
as opposed to a straight up gangsta vegan?

atheistwithfaith
December 5th, 2011, 18:05
I agree with the other guys, even in larger cities - finding Vege restaurants can be near impossible. Also it seems like fish doesn't count as meat here and so if you ask what on the menu is vegetarian, I have seen it happen that they point to things with fish in. (and you might not realise that)

Paper Moon
December 5th, 2011, 21:02
Luckily I know how to cook for myself...:p_cake:

To be honest, it's the same in Thailand. There are pockets of Chinese Buddhists who are vegan (or rather "Jai"), but most people do not understand vegetarianism. Acutally, I think that's true of the United States as well (at least where I live). I do not know how many times someone has asked me if I eat fish, pork, or chicken after I tell them that I am a vegetarian... I understand why they might think that though. Pescatarians and flexitarians call themselves vegetarians all the time, so people get confused as to whether vegetarians eat fish or not. There are probably people here who treat bacon as a vegetable too. Most people who are not vegetarians probably just do not think about it because they do not have to think about it, so I cannot really blame them.

But if a raw vegan can make it in Japan, then I can too, I'm sure. That gives me hope.:^_^: It's a very important ethical belief for me, so it's not something I would give up, but it's nice to know that I will not starve either.

I've also had quite a bit of success when booking nights out (ie 3-4 people on a set meal) and asked for a vegetarian course at a restaurant for one of the people, namely me :P

This also gives me hope! I

uthinkimlost?
December 5th, 2011, 21:36
Most vegetarians I know compromised, ie they'll eat dashi, etc.

lilyanphino
December 5th, 2011, 21:39
One of my friends is a vegetarian in a small, inaka village and when her school and JTEs found out she didn't eat meat, they gave her a ton of vegetables. She has not had a problem at all.

Paper Moon
December 5th, 2011, 21:49
One of my friends is a vegetarian in a small, inaka village and when her school and JTEs found out she didn't eat meat, they gave her a ton of vegetables. She has not had a problem at all.

I sincerely hope that my situation (should I be accepted to the programme) is like that. :)

mtreecorner
December 6th, 2011, 01:41
What do you mean you don't eat meat???? Ok, we make the lamb.

armchairpatriot
December 6th, 2011, 04:20
Just tell 'em you have meat/fish/cheese allergy that only gaijin get. Then complain about how hard it is to live in America where everybody eats burgers at least twice a day.

Teishou
December 6th, 2011, 08:35
Holy...I thought we were talking about the new fad of Japanese: Vegetarian men...but it's just food. ol

iriediva
December 8th, 2011, 03:42
i think i put kobe city as my first choice and hyogo as my second. i know kobe is in hyogo so was that weird? like redundant? i really want to end up in kobe for why i dunno not like i've ever been but its the only place i researched much and i found websites with 24 hour hoichens if needs be there so that was a huge plus. yeah coming with my munchkin hopefully....

uthinkimlost?
December 8th, 2011, 09:08
i think i put kobe city as my first choice and hyogo as my second. i know kobe is in hyogo so was that weird? like redundant? i really want to end up in kobe for why i dunno not like i've ever been but its the only place i researched much and i found websites with 24 hour hoichens if needs be there so that was a huge plus. yeah coming with my munchkin hopefully....

I thought choices had to be in different blocks?

Merkypie
December 8th, 2011, 09:10
First two can be in the same block, last one needs to be in a different block completely.

iriediva
December 8th, 2011, 09:11
only for the third choice. if i remember correctly it asked us to choose a different block than the first two

sloth
December 8th, 2011, 09:34
Yeah. The first two could be from the same block. The third had to be different. I went with Hyogo and Osaka. I didn't put a third preference because if I don't end up in Kansai I'm not particularly fussed about where exactly I end up... being they take my sorry a*s at all.

Merkypie
December 8th, 2011, 09:51
I picked Kyoto Prefecture for my no. 1 choice. They'll probably treat it like a Kyoto City request and throw me in my second choice, BFE (Wakayama) Prefecture cause apparently a lot of JETs end up in Fukui (3rd).

Its so painfully obviously I played the Ring-o-Kyoto game.

Or maybe I won't even get in and then there's all of that LOLOLOL.

Teishou
December 8th, 2011, 09:57
lol Wakayama is gorgeous. I went to this really small town with like...nothing there. Beautiful, but not much to boast of otherwise.

mtreecorner
December 8th, 2011, 10:26
I did 1)Akita 2)Hokkaido 3)Tochigi with a preference for rural.

I wanted Northern Japan... and tochigi becuase I know a family there.

Gizmotech
December 8th, 2011, 10:36
I love reading this thread and its endless optimism. People dreaming of being near big cities, and fairies, and gum drops... I can't wait for the moment of truth in 5 months when they find they're on the top of a mountain in the middle of bum fuck nowhere's bum fuck nowhere.

ahhh... JET applications :)

uthinkimlost?
December 8th, 2011, 10:41
I love reading this thread and its endless optimism. People dreaming of being near big cities, and fairies, and gum drops... I can't wait for the moment of truth in 5 months when they find they're on the top of a mountain in the middle of bum fuck nowhere's bum fuck nowhere.

I hafta drive an hour to GET TO bumfuk nowhere.

True Story.

alutemu
December 8th, 2011, 11:07
I put 1) Yamato city, Kanagawa pref (homestay), 2) Hokkaido pref and 3) Oita pref.
Wonder if they understand that I could live about anywhere?

Merkypie
December 8th, 2011, 11:33

I already live in BFE so being on top of a mountain would be a change from flat orange groves and cow pastures BFE to " ooh mountains " BFE. :V

I can see why Wakayama is my state's sister state.

mtreecorner
December 8th, 2011, 12:10
I live in DC... I want to get out of the city for a while.

Maybe bumf*k will teach me to love my cramped closet of a apartment.

Gizmotech
December 8th, 2011, 14:07
The further out into nowhere you get, the nicer your place seems to be imo. A friend of mine lives in absolutely nowhere (no train, no bus) but has some mansion of a place. Like 2 stories, 100+ tatami... Falling apart, but still awesome place for nearly nada.

Paper Moon
December 8th, 2011, 23:42
I already live in BFE so being on top of a mountain would be a change from flat orange groves and cow pastures BFE to " ooh mountains " BFE. :V

I can see why Wakayama is my state's sister state.

Haha, that was my exact feeling! We Floridians are so deprived of mountains... "Britton Hill is the highest natural point in the state of Florida, USA, with a summit elevation of 345 feet (106 meters) above mean sea level. " :p

I would love to live somewhere mountainous, though it would probably be difficult to get used to breathing the thinner air...

Teishou
December 9th, 2011, 00:21
Mountains? You Floridians be freezing yo~

Paper Moon
December 9th, 2011, 00:25
We're going to freeze anyway, so we might as well have pretty mountains to look at while we are turning into popsicles...

Merkypie
December 9th, 2011, 03:05
Pffft, if I get anything related to a Fall, Spring, or Winter I'm game. Mountains or not.

Gizmotech
December 9th, 2011, 08:37
Ahh.... the innocence. I'm gonna book mark this thread for a whole bunch of "I told ya soos" and insane giggling as people realize just how bumfuk nowhere bumfuk nowhere is in Japan :P

Merkypie
December 9th, 2011, 08:44
Ahahahahaaaaa

Ini
December 9th, 2011, 08:51
there are surprising few "bumfuck nowhere" places in japan. You tend to need to be on top of a mountain or on a tiny island. Japan is so crowded that if there is some flat land around somebody is going to build something on it. There are hundreds of thousands of places that dont have fancy shopping malls and train stations but you can survive without them.

Gizmotech
December 9th, 2011, 09:10
there are surprising few "bumfuck nowhere" places in japan. You tend to need to be on top of a mountain or on a tiny island. Japan is so crowded that if there is some flat land around somebody is going to build something on it. There are hundreds of thousands of places that dont have fancy shopping malls and train stations but you can survive without them.

I completely agree. 150% that's how much I agree. Though, Tohoku can be pretty bad as there might not be anything near you, but the next town over there is. Then you realize the next town over is an hour drive away... and real civilization is 3-4 hours away.... Then you realize why people don't move to Tohoku :P

Truthsauce
December 9th, 2011, 09:12

I completely agree. 150% that's how much I agree. Though, Tohoku can be pretty bad as there might not be anything near you, but the next town over there is. Then you realize the next town over is an hour drive away... and real civilization is 3-4 hours away.... Then you realize why people don't move to Tohoku :P

There is so much set-up here.

http://th967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/clynchhh/th_2dv61wh.gif

Tyr
December 9th, 2011, 22:26
ahhh, I so should have put Kobe as my first choice. Lots of people got that last year.

Norsehawk
December 11th, 2011, 01:56
I only had one relatively specific request and then 2 general area requests.

Urban preference
1st choice: Shizuoka, Shizuoka (I know someone there)
2nd choice: Chiba
3rd choice: Kinki

If I make it to interview stage, I plan to mention that I'm really open to any setting, Rural, Suburban, Urban but didn't want to choose 'no preference'. As long as I have high speed internet, even the most backwards inaka location would work. I sure hope my Florida infused blood will be able to handle the winter with no insulation. As long as I get someplace that actually has all four seasons I will be happy. Tired of Summer/Spring/Summer/Spring/Summer/Spring 365 days a year.

Big Innes
December 13th, 2011, 08:06
Rural

I'm a country boy anyway so a rural placement would suit me down to the ground. I would say the most important thing for me is to be on Honshu and in a placement with some nice historical and cultural sites nearby. In reality I would be happy with almost anywhere.

dvae
December 14th, 2011, 09:44
I just specified that I'd prefer an Urban placement, but didn't list any prefectures or cities. It was mostly to do with preferring to be around lots of other people. I like a busy environment with lots going on in it.

kurisu
December 19th, 2011, 16:24
I am still thinking about where to list.

I was thinking Akita, Hokkaido, and Togichi in that order. I like the mountains and snow... and I have a person connection in togichi

Anyone been to Akita or Togichi (I figure Hokkaido has been talked about and is pretty straightforward)

I live in Akita, come here, it's great.

kurisu
December 19th, 2011, 16:27
Tohoku is awesome. Akita is great, Oga is great, Kazuno is so-so, Morioka is fun, Tazawako area is badass.

Why you jelly brah?

Doodlebug
January 11th, 2012, 19:43
I heard allot of good thins about Akita and northern Japan, I put Rural, any idea that thats like?
1. Akita prefect
2. Sapporo City
3. Okinawa prefect (thought of sunny beaches all year round)

arcthemonkey
January 14th, 2012, 08:17
I requested suburban. I got placed in Ebetsu, Hokkaido - a 10 minute train ride to Sapporo. Seriously, best placement ever except for maybe Teine.

I asked for Suburban because I didn't want an $800 a month one-room apartment in a rundown part of a city, and I didn't want to be isolated in the country-side. This way I was right smack-dab between both urban and rural, and I got a 3-bedroom apartment to myself for $250 a month.

Seriously, Ebetsu, I miss you!

greengoo
January 14th, 2012, 19:26
My requests and type were utterly ignored, but I love my town anyway.

mrcharisma
January 16th, 2012, 09:37
In general, the JET people do not give a flying fuck about your requests, but if you want to get them to listen, thoroughly research the places you want and give good, solid reasons why you would like to be there, preferably linked to your application. Saying you'd like Kyoto because of the "history and temples" will fool no-one, so you need to go further than that.

That said, I was given what I deemed to be an absolute nightmare placement in what was approximately my 47th choice prefecture, yet so far I've loved it here. Seeing the smug Osaka-bound faces at orientation was pretty grating, but with a bit of searching I've found all the amenities I could want in this dump, as well as some nice things to do at weekends and a smattering of friendly local characters. I also get lots of holidays that the more prestigiously-placed JETs don't, and due to the lower living costs regular weekend trips to the bright lights.

So if you open the mail in April and you've been dealt a shitter, don't write it off. Given a few months and an open mind you may well love it.

arcthemonkey
January 21st, 2012, 05:13
I think most JETs make enough money that the fact that pretty much no matter where you are placed, there is probably a major city within a $30, hour-long train ride from you should allow a vast majority of people to survive the inaka. It was rough for people in northeast Hokkaido who had to trek 3 hours to get to Sapporo (most of them wouldn't settle for Asahikawa), but that's unusual.

Chances are you will be able to escape the country-side where you are placed and find yourself in a big city in 30-40 minutes. It's not bad ^_^ the real limiting factor is trying not to miss the last train home!

Kittens
January 21st, 2012, 08:44
Oh, if only.

entropy01
January 22nd, 2012, 17:43
Hello everyone.

I chose three prefectures in the Kinki region. Those are:

Osaka
Kyoto
Wakayama

I chose the three prefectures above because I was once a foreign exchange student in Kansai Gaidai Uni. KGU is in Osaka and thus I had many opportunities to go to the surrounding prefectures. I chose Wakayama because my best friend (dating back from Junior High School) lives there and has shown me a lot of great places in Wakayama.

Teishou
January 23rd, 2012, 04:24
lol Everyone goes to KG. So funny.

entropy01
January 23rd, 2012, 06:17
Yep it is. I was going to Keio but I would have had more problems with transferring credits so I chose KGU. I enjoyed my time there.

Gizmotech
January 23rd, 2012, 08:48
I think most JETs make enough money that the fact that pretty much no matter where you are placed, there is probably a major city within a $30, hour-long train ride from you should allow a vast majority of people to survive the inaka. It was rough for people in northeast Hokkaido who had to trek 3 hours to get to Sapporo (most of them wouldn't settle for Asahikawa), but that's unusual.

Chances are you will be able to escape the country-side where you are placed and find yourself in a big city in 30-40 minutes. It's not bad ^_^ the real limiting factor is trying not to miss the last train home!

HA ROFL. The truly "major" city near me is a 44$, 2.5hour train ride away.

dialogue
January 23rd, 2012, 08:50
I think most JETs make enough money that the fact that pretty much no matter where you are placed, there is probably a major city within a $30, hour-long train ride from you should allow a vast majority of people to survive the inaka.

lolololol

The nearest train is about an hour away. Nearest major city, 2.5.

mrcharisma
January 23rd, 2012, 08:51

Talk about optimistic.....

JETs in the Hokoriku or Tohoku areas (of which there are hundreds as most of these prefectures take in lots of us) certainly do not have this luxury. Down in the likes of Shimane I expect some people have to trek a lot longer than an hour also.

And when the last train home is often about 9 o clock to any city with a population under 150,000, good luck partying!

Eudox
January 23rd, 2012, 08:55
And when the last train home is often about 9 o clock to any city with a population under 150,000, good luck partying!

Why would you bother if you were going to get the train home? Best to fork out for a hotel/capsule/couch.

Gizmotech
January 23rd, 2012, 08:59
Talk about optimistic.....

JETs in the Hokoriku or Tohoku areas (of which there are hundreds as most of these prefectures take in lots of us) certainly do not have this luxury. Down in the likes of Shimane I expect some people have to trek a lot longer than an hour also.

This. I live in a town of 110k, next one over is 160k. NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS EVER. They're just large BFI towns. Their only saving grace is my town has a Gundam Kizuna setup :P. That and living in the arse end of the JR East network (Seriously, the locals call it the blackhole of the JR train network) means it takes forever to get to a remotely larger town and the last train home IS 9 o'clock.

Teishou
January 23rd, 2012, 09:25
Lucky you, Romulus. I wanted to go to Nanzan first and foremost, Ritsumeikan as a second choice...and anywhere else BUT KG.

dialogue
January 23rd, 2012, 09:38
110k population and nothing happens? how is this possible i don`t

Eudox
January 23rd, 2012, 09:40
110k population and nothing happens? how is this possible i don`t

When 99% of that 110k are over the age of 50, and 98% are over the age of 70... it's possible.

dialogue
January 23rd, 2012, 09:44
I know some pretty spry 55 year olds, man! And one of my adult convo class students is, like, 70 or something.

Gizmotech
January 23rd, 2012, 10:09
Eudox has it right... 110k geriatric community.

uthinkimlost?
January 23rd, 2012, 11:19
This. I live in a town of 110k, next one over is 160k. NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS EVER. They're just large BFI towns. Their only saving grace is my town has a Gundam Kizuna setup :P. That and living in the arse end of the JR East network (Seriously, the locals call it the blackhole of the JR train network) means it takes forever to get to a remotely larger town and the last train home IS 9 o'clock.

What is this strange word 'train'?

mrcharisma
January 23rd, 2012, 11:21
RL - Niigata could definitely count as a major city, but it's at the far Northeast of the region and several hundred miles from many Hokoriku-based JETs.

110k geriatric is pretty tight. I've got about 70,000 locals and the majority seem to be either over 70 or under 17. In the decrepit "downtown" area you rarely see anyone without a walking stick but in the izakayas / ramen shops etc there's a surprising amount of 20 and 30 somethings about.

Gizmotech
January 23rd, 2012, 11:25
Does anything happen in Niigata? It's about the same distance (ish) to there as anywhere else from where I am, but noone has ever said it's an interesting place....

coop52
January 23rd, 2012, 11:43
Tottori's not terrible; not much happening except the beach party (which I think this past year was the last one) and it's reasonably close to a couple of major cities (Okayama in 2 hours; Osaka in 3.5, can get on the shink at Himeji in 1 hour or so). We're the only prefecture to not have a Starbuck's though. We have to settle for Gloria Jean's :(

Teishou
January 23rd, 2012, 11:50
What went wrong with Nanzan? Pro tip: you missed out.

The company I was going through shirked me at the last minute, leaving me high and dry. I was still intending to go abroad, no matter what, or transfer to a different uni if I couldn't. Ended up doing both...unfortunate that it was KG. Nice people though.

dialogue
January 23rd, 2012, 13:48
Whaaaat the. Starbucks? Gloria Jeans? Jeebus. I have no idea where the nearest coffee shop is... bah!

lilyanphino
January 23rd, 2012, 17:43
*laughs* My city is full of young families and young people. There are two cities within a 15 and 30 minute train ride away from my city and several clubs. Last train to my city from neighboring cities leaves around 11ish (which is a little early, but it's better than 9). That's why my prefecture is awesome.

word
January 23rd, 2012, 22:40
Whaaaat the. Starbucks? Gloria Jeans? Jeebus. I have no idea where the nearest coffee shop is... bah!
LOL word

Nearest Starbucks is at least a 3 hour drive; I can't even imagine how long it would take by train...

uthinkimlost?
January 23rd, 2012, 23:26
I'm trying hard to think if I've seen a Starbucks outside of Tokyo and my Prefectural Capital.

uthinkimlost?
January 23rd, 2012, 23:52
You'd see them throughout the prefecture if you ever left bumfuck.

Since I don't drink coffee I'm also never looking for them.

arcthemonkey
January 24th, 2012, 06:27

I've seen a lot of replies to this that imply that because your personal experience is different, that renders what I said incorrect. I stand by my assertion that a majority of people live in or near major urban areas. I'm sorry it takes you three hours to get to a city, but that's not the case for a majority of JETs.

Something like 80% of people in Japan live IN urban areas, and while there are disproportionately few JETs in Tokyo or Kyoto, that doesn't change the fact that JETs also tend to end up within an hour or an urban area. Many rural areas in Japan have 1 or two JETs survicing several small towns, whereas Suburban JETs are usually on of 3-4 ALTs, and major cities can have 50+. Designated city JETs alone account for 300-400 JETS (around 10% of the total). The Sapporo metro area includes 40-50 ALTs, with dozens more within 20-30 minutes on the train, and this is in HOKKAIDO. So yes, there are hundreds of JETs out in depths of the inaka on deserted islands, but I am convinced there are thousands with much more convenient placements, as long as they are reasonable people... Which brings me to my next point.

I've found that a lot of the people who complain about how far out in the inaka they are are also the kind of people who turn their noses up at towns with "only" 300,000 people (people in Hokkaido would often drive an hour to get to Asahikawa... only to drive another 2 to get to Sapporo. Asahikawa has bars and clubs and soaps and even has Starbucks, but many people disregarded it.

And I said nothing about partying :P even if you have a midnight train, that's much of a party!

Eudox
January 24th, 2012, 08:55
Towns of 300,000 people... midnight trains... is this a dream?

dialogue
January 24th, 2012, 09:02
...people in Hokkaido would often drive an hour to get to Asahikawa... only to drive another 2 to get to Sapporo. Asahikawa has bars and clubs and soaps and even has Starbucks, but many people disregarded it.

Who are you talking about??? Hokkaido is pretty damn big; only a small, select amount of people would be close enough to drive a measly hour to it.

I am in Hokkaido, and the nearest major city IS approximately 300,000 people. It is also hells of far away. I think you are underestimating the actual distances between places.

Fun fact of the day: It would take me about 6 or 6.5 hours to get to Asahikawa.

Gizmotech
January 24th, 2012, 10:13
I've seen a lot of replies to this that imply that because your personal experience is different, that renders what I said incorrect. I stand by my assertion that a majority of people live in or near major urban areas. I'm sorry it takes you three hours to get to a city, but that's not the case for a majority of JETs.

Yes but you'll notice that the majority of us who are discussing distance are in the arse ends of Tohoku and Q-Shoe, where there are quite a few ALTs and they do live rather far away from a major city. I can say from my own prefecture alone, less than 50% of the alts live within an hour train ride of the major town of 300k. Many live much further.

Something like 80% of people in Japan live IN urban areas, and while there are disproportionately few JETs in Tokyo or Kyoto, that doesn't change the fact that JETs also tend to end up within an hour or an urban area. Many rural areas in Japan have 1 or two JETs survicing several small towns, whereas Suburban JETs are usually on of 3-4 ALTs, and major cities can have 50+. Designated city JETs alone account for 300-400 JETS (around 10% of the total). The Sapporo metro area includes 40-50 ALTs, with dozens more within 20-30 minutes on the train, and this is in HOKKAIDO. So yes, there are hundreds of JETs out in depths of the inaka on deserted islands, but I am convinced there are thousands with much more convenient placements, as long as they are reasonable people... Which brings me to my next point.

I agree that the majority of people on the honshu southern stretch are in pretty convenient places, but not everyone is down by the genuine mass transit system. Also, though they might be within range of a densely packed area, that doesn't mean that that densely packed area will have services or industries that meet their requirements. I have a friend in shizuoka who lives more than an hour from shizuoka itself and though it's a beautiful place to live, it is missing some of the bigger name resources one would expect from an area of 200k people.

I've found that a lot of the people who complain about how far out in the inaka they are are also the kind of people who turn their noses up at towns with "only" 300,000 people (people in Hokkaido would often drive an hour to get to Asahikawa... only to drive another 2 to get to Sapporo. Asahikawa has bars and clubs and soaps and even has Starbucks, but many people disregarded it.

The epitome of civilization, go get your coffee, have a drink, blow your money at a club and get blown. All in the same BFI town. Now that's living!

And I said nothing about partying :P even if you have a midnight train, that's much of a party!

I held it in until now, Good lord are you an English teacher? I mean I've written some pretty incoherent shit on this forum but this is just incomprehensible. What the fuck does "that's much of a party!" mean?

mrcharisma
January 24th, 2012, 10:52
[QUOTE=arcthemonkey;744803] I stand by my assertion that a majority of people live in or near major urban areasQUOTE]

JET defines an urban area as anywhere with over 100,000 inhabitants. Places like Fukushima, Tottori, Fukui and Akita cities have far more in common with inaka villages than they ever will with Dotonbori canal or Shinjuku. Hundreds of JETs in cities and prefectures like the above are hundreds of kilometres, several slow trains and wallets full of yen away from anything resembling a major city.

And Hokkaido is bigger in area than quite a few European countries. Considering it's transport network is fairly limited compared to other areas, I think driving an hour to Sapporo is only for the extremely lucky.

Truthsauce
January 24th, 2012, 10:59
JET defines an urban area as anywhere with over 100,000 inhabitants. Places like Fukushima, Tottori, Fukui and Akita cities have far more in common with inaka villages than they ever will with Dotonbori canal or Shinjuku. Hundreds of JETs in cities and prefectures like the above are hundreds of kilometres, several slow trains and wallets full of yen away from anything resembling a major city.

lolwhut?

Akita City population: 323,310

Koriyama-shi, Fukushima population: 336,328

These are both urban placements in Tohoku that are not Sendai. The JETs there requested urban placements.

Gizmotech
January 24th, 2012, 11:09
lolwhut?

Akita City population: 323,310

Koriyama-shi, Fukushima population: 336,328

These are both urban placements in Tohoku that are not Sendai. The JETs there requested urban placements.

Right. He's making the point that Japan calls anything over 100k urban. Yet these towns of 300k aren't really bustling hoping urban centers. Hell where I am is "urban" with 100k people, but when it's 99k who are 70+ it's not very urban, just big.

Truthsauce
January 24th, 2012, 11:18
but when it's 99k who are 70+ it's not very urban, just big.

Fact, that's my situation. 80k but over a huge area. Long story short if you are afraid of an inaka placement or refuse to reevaluate your definition of a "proper" city then don't come to Japan. There are plenty of people itching at the chance to be here that won't winge about the age of the population or the closest starbucks.

Also, it's kind of sad if you just plan on doing what you do in your home country but in a Japanese setting.

Gizmotech
January 24th, 2012, 12:12
*insert valid argument on why you shouldn't go Japanese while in Japan*

Truthsauce
January 24th, 2012, 12:15
*insert valid argument on why you shouldn't go Japanese while in Japan*

Whatisthisidonteven-

Look, going "Japanese" is one thing, but ordering all your food from the foreign buyers club because there is no import store around and you just found out "beef teriyaki" is not really a thing here... that's another.

Gizmotech
January 24th, 2012, 12:27
Whatisthisidonteven-

Look, going "Japanese" is one thing, but ordering all your food from the foreign buyers club because there is no import store around and you just found out "beef teriyaki" is not really a thing here... that's another.

*Insert appropriate response about having nothing to do with original argument or urbanness*

Eudox
January 24th, 2012, 13:24
Ahhh there's nothing wrong with doing what you would do in your own country... you're the same person, after all. If you're not prepared to *try* other things when the occasion presents itself... well, that's another story.

arcthemonkey
January 28th, 2012, 06:59
I've gone back and forth on whether I should actually reply here again, but here I am. I just need to start with this:

I held it in until now, Good lord are you an English teacher? I mean I've written some pretty incoherent shit on this forum but this is just incomprehensible. What the fuck does "that's much of a party!" mean?

Seriously? Personal jabs here? I hastily typed my reply while I was at work. I didn't proof-read it. I made typos. Let's be shitty to each other, shall we? You should be intelligent to realize that should read "that's not much of a party", but I'll not pass judgement here.

Yes but you'll notice that the majority of us who are discussing distance are in the arse ends of Tohoku and Q-Shoe, where there are quite a few ALTs and they do live rather far away from a major city. I can say from my own prefecture alone, less than 50% of the alts live within an hour train ride of the major town of 300k. Many live much further.

Regardless of the situation of the majority of people in this discussion, I think we need to be cognicient of that fact that we are in the "Applying for JET" forum, and many of the people reading this thread, looking for information, could easily be lead to believe that most JETs are places hours away from major cities. The entire reason for my posting here was to balance the discussion. I understand that many JETs have really remote placements (and I'll talk more about that later), but the comment I made that lead to this whole thing was relevant to the discussion. It was people's implication that their situation was different invalidated my statement that brought us here.

I agree that the majority of people on the honshu southern stretch are in pretty convenient places, but not everyone is down by the genuine mass transit system. Also, though they might be within range of a densely packed area, that doesn't mean that that densely packed area will have services or industries that meet their requirements. I have a friend in shizuoka who lives more than an hour from shizuoka itself and though it's a beautiful place to live, it is missing some of the bigger name resources one would expect from an area of 200k people.

Again, never at any point did I state or even imply that "everyone" has good train access. This is obviously untrue. Rather than repeat my assertions that a majority of JETs do have decent access to these things, I want to come back to this whole niggling thing about what cities are "good enough" to count.

What "services and industries" are you referring to? What do you mean by "requirements"? Chances are pretty damned good that for any given 100,000-200,000+ city with an even remotely dense population, you're going to find a set of super markets, department stores, hardware stores, gyms, and whatever else. If you "require" more than that, I'm a little confused. Do people "require" sprawling, high-rise shopping centers? Foreign food stores? Second-hand manga shops? Visual Kei wig stores? Novelty porn stores? Capsule hotels? If by "requirements" you mean "personal preferences" then that is an entirely different question.

But I think the chances of you being far from your "personal preferences" are phenomenally more likely than the chances of being far from your "requirements." If you require a very specific kind of placement, then you should request that placement and turn it down if you are offered something else, or stay away from JET.

People need to be realistic and leverage their expectations.

The epitome of civilization, go get your coffee, have a drink, blow your money at a club and get blown. All in the same BFI town. Now that's living

This was pretty obviously a direct reference to previous comments by people effectively measuring how inaka their town was based on the distance to the nearest Starbucks, or convenience of "partying." My point was that Asahikawa has Starbucks, clubs, prostitutes, and most of the other things that people seem be vital parts of their lives, and people STILL pass right through it and bitch about it.

Who are you talking about??? Hokkaido is pretty damn big; only a small, select amount of people would be close enough to drive a measly hour to it.

I am in Hokkaido, and the nearest major city IS approximately 300,000 people. It is also hells of far away. I think you are underestimating the actual distances between places.

Fun fact of the day: It would take me about 6 or 6.5 hours to get to Asahikawa.

Once again, it seems someone is taking my example of a specific group of people and expanding it to magically include a much larger, generalized group of people :\

I was actually trying to use Hokkaido as an exemplar of remote placements. No other prefecture in Japan can even begin to complain. If you live in Nemuro it's a 10+ hour drive to Sapporo. Wakkanai is 6+. I don't care where else you live in Japan, you aren't going to beat that. But the scale of Hokkaido is orders of magnitude larger than any other prefecture. A trip from Nemuro to Hakodate would be like driving across two-thirds of Honshu, and I promise you will find yourself in profoundly remote places unlike pretty much anywhere else in Japan.

That said, though, more than a fifth of the JETs in Hokkaido live in the Sapporo metro area alone. Easily 80+ more are within 30 minutes of the Hakodate line. That isn't even mentioning Asahikawa, which is a perfectly adequate urban center by basically any measure, and Obihiro which as far as I know nobody has ever actually stopped in to see what there is to do. For some reason, the general concensus in Hokkaido is that if you aren't in Sapporo then you aren't doing anything, and the other cities don't even exist. Hakodate is a pretty damned remote city, but it's also got almost 300,000 people, and it totally kicks ass.

My conclusion stands: Hundreds of JETs live in pretty remote places. Thousands live in or near population centers. ESID and all that.

lexa1010
January 29th, 2012, 00:19
Ahhh there's nothing wrong with doing what you would do in your own country... you're the same person, after all. If you're not prepared to *try* other things when the occasion presents itself... well, that's another story.

True!

losdutchmen
February 7th, 2012, 14:27
Ok, responding to the original question, "how did I choose where I wanted to be..." or something to that effect. Easy. I'm from Arizona, outside of Phoenix. I live at the base of the Superstition Mountains, pretty cool, but rarely do we get "winter". We do get a dusting of snow once or twice on the mountain, it's pretty cool to see snow in the desert. But, once the sun gets up to full strength in the Spring, it's HOT. So, my choices for potential placement were 1) Fukui 2) Niigata and 3) Kagawa.

Priority #1 was somewhere near water. So all three of my choices have coastline. #2 was snow, my top two get heavy snowfall and plenty of cold. I'm ready for a change. #3 was the availability of fresh seafood. I know it's probably easy to get anywhere in Japan, but I'm talking right off the boat fresh. Other than those three general priorities, there were some minor details for each prefecture; Eiheiji Temple, the best rice in Japan, and some sweet island art museums.

I think I clicked "no preference" in regards to city/suburb/rural with the assumption that I would most likely be placed somewhere inaka. Thats fine with me, I'm used to small towns. Although, it might be interesting to live in an actual city, something I've never gotten to do. If I get near any of my three choices I'll be happy.

dialogue
February 8th, 2012, 13:50
Once again, it seems someone is taking my example of a specific group of people and expanding it to magically include a much larger, generalized group of people :\

Really. Because I am pretty sure I applied your statements to myself, not anybody else... If you don`t want people disagreeing with your lines about specific groups of people then make them more general in the first place and we can skip the confusion next time.

Takoyaki
February 8th, 2012, 18:21
anyone here located in Hyōgo-ken??

WaIdroon
February 28th, 2012, 10:19

Everywhere in Japan except Osaka has more in common with an inaka village than Tokyo. That's what happens when 30% of your population concentrates in one major city and it's nearest satellite.

arcthemonkey
February 28th, 2012, 12:02
Really. Because I am pretty sure I applied your statements to myself, not anybody else... If you don`t want people disagreeing with your lines about specific groups of people then make them more general in the first place and we can skip the confusion next time.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the point of your post, but you seemed to be saying that since your situation was different, it invalidated the statement I was making. I was giving an example that many people I knew would drive through large cities, only to travel for hours more to get another, "better" city, only to complain about how far they had to travel. I recognize fully that there are many people in Hokkaido who are astronomically further away from larger cities than in other parts of Japan, but I don't think that is true for most JETs there.

Again, sorry if I put words in your mouth.

Lianwen
February 28th, 2012, 12:06
....I didn`t really care about where exactly I was placed, just that I didn`t want to be too hot or too cold.

Now I`m wishing (as I look out the staffwindows to see easily 3 feet of snow) that I had put `anywhere but bfi Tohoku and Hokkaido.` I love the heat. Would rather be sweating and dealing with sweaty people, but dear gosh the cold.

Good luck everyone with getting placements.

Kittens
February 28th, 2012, 19:30
Technically no, but I might as well be. I hear they take really good care of their JETs.

Takoyaki
February 28th, 2012, 19:40
Technically no, but I might as well be. I hear they take really good care of their JETs.

Haha yea that was one of my main motivators for requesting it, so fingers crossed =p

MJN
February 28th, 2012, 21:04

I'm not, but again may as well be. I'm within walking distance of the border.

Kittens
March 2nd, 2012, 09:29
Yeah, I'm pretty jelly of their setups and how they get to do seminars in Kobe. All the JETs I've met in Hyogo are really nice and laid back, too.

What's ironic is that one of the inaka cities in Hyogo is much closer than anything else in my prefecture. It's so much easier to do shopping and meet up with people over there.

Pisce_s
August 31st, 2012, 11:04
Do you think if you looked at the places where they had a lot of JETs like Kobe, and put those down as your preferences you'd have a pretty good chance?

Also I thought if you said you are willing to arrive earlier it might heighten your chances of getting your preference, but sounds like that's not the case..

Gizmotech
August 31st, 2012, 11:14
Early arrival if anything will make your chances lower than higher. Most JETs rotate through in August, meaning an early acceptance is either filling the spot of a contract breaker or new position. These would be relatively few and far between.

Putting a place w/ lots of JETs will likely improve your chances of getting those places, but at any given time it depends on how many JETs are coming/going.

hunterofpeace
August 31st, 2012, 11:22
Do you think if you looked at the places where they had a lot of JETs like Kobe, and put those down as your preferences you'd have a pretty good chance?

Also I thought if you said you are willing to arrive earlier it might heighten your chances of getting your preference, but sounds like that's not the case..

Don`t count on it. They try to consider your preferences but more than likely you won`t get them. I didn`t get any of my three, but I love my city and my school and I think I got really lucky. I chose Nara, Kobe, and Hiroshima. I got Fukuoka, which is around the same latitude. Maybe choose all southern cities if you like the heat or all northern cities if you like the cold. But even that won`t guarantee you a certain area. By all means do research, but remain open to the very real possibility that you will be stranded in bum f*ck inaka on the other side of Japan from your choices.

Merkypie
August 31st, 2012, 11:56
I requested Kyoto, Wakayama and Fukui and ended up in Ishikawa, which is right next door to my third choice. IDK. They try to work with your requests but the final decision is with the COs and what they want.

Pisce_s
August 31st, 2012, 12:39
Can you reject the early arrival offer if you get it, and still go in August? Or if they offer you that you have to take it?

Gizmotech
August 31st, 2012, 12:48
If you get an offer you go or give up.

Merkypie
August 31st, 2012, 13:14
I think you need to have a legitimate reason to not leave with the April arrivals (aka my wife is having a baby, my parents died in a freak accident, I'm being sued, etc) to be reconsidered for an August departure.... and you need to let your coordinator know like prior to interviews that you can not do an April departure. They'll ask you in the interview if you're still willing to leave in April.

Cytrix
August 31st, 2012, 14:53
I know someone who turned down an early placement last year due to where it was. When August came around they gave her the exact same placement.

ChasingTheSun
October 4th, 2012, 11:14
Hi. So this is my first post on the forums, but I realized that I really need to be more active in order to really make use of this awesome tool.

Anyway, my question: I am making a list of places I would like to request, but even in my research, I don't think I know enough about the different prefectures/ cities to make a decision. Therefore, I was hoping the wise users of ITIL might have some suggestions to make.

I would like to live somewhere cold where I am not required to drive a car. I am a little worried about having to drive in Japan. Of course, I will if I have to, but I would much rather walk or ride my bike. Can anyone make any suggestions for locations?

Page
October 4th, 2012, 11:55
For cold and no driving you're really limiting your choices as most of Tohoku is pretty spread out. Your best bets would be Sendai (Miyagi) or Sapporo (Hokkaido), I think. Morioka (Iwate) isn't too bad to get around in but I think you might want a car there, too.

ChasingTheSun
October 4th, 2012, 12:00
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. Like I said, I am willing to adapt and drive if I need to, but adjusting to Japanese driving seems like daunting task to me (as a US driver). That being said, I might be blowing the whole issue completely out of proportion. I haven't had a chance to speak with many JET/former JETs who drove in Japan, so I don't know how much of a challenge it is to adapt.

Thanks for the suggestions for the cities. I was already considering Sapporo, but now I'll have two more to add to my list for investigation.

Gizmotech
October 4th, 2012, 12:00
Does the current form allow you to specific cities in particular, or only the JET areas? because if so, Sendai and Sapporo are valid choices, but if they select Iwate, they could end up anywhere in the prefecture.

Also, if you want to reduce the chance that you will need to drive, put on the form that you don't want to work with young children (ie: no Elementary/Junior Highschool). Most of the SHS ALTs I know can easily get to their schools by walking/biking or train some rare visit cases, as the schools tend to be a bit more centralized.

Page
October 4th, 2012, 15:42
Does the current form allow you to specific cities in particular, or only the JET areas? because if so, Sendai and Sapporo are valid choices, but if they select Iwate, they could end up anywhere in the prefecture.

I'm pretty sure that bit hasn't changed. When I applied the online format was being used and I was able to type in the name the city I wanted (not a big or famous one, either).

And, yeah, what RL said. I came without a car and it was such a pain in the butt that I couldn't imagine life without one, now (though I could certainly survive and get places). Buses, trains, and begging for rides are super inconvenient in inaka.

That said, if you're only considering a year and don't want to waste the money on a car, that's a completely valid POV.

sloth
October 4th, 2012, 20:29
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. Like I said, I am willing to adapt and drive if I need to, but adjusting to Japanese driving seems like daunting task to me (as a US driver). That being said, I might be blowing the whole issue completely out of proportion. I haven't had a chance to speak with many JET/former JETs who drove in Japan, so I don't know how much of a challenge it is to adapt.

Thanks for the suggestions for the cities. I was already considering Sapporo, but now I'll have two more to add to my list for investigation.

I was really terrified of driving here, but you get used to it really fast. Since you can't turn on red lights it's surprisingly easy. The only annoying thing is that the wipers/blinkers are switched. You will turn your blinkers on trying for your wipers, and your wipers trying for your blinkers. Frustrating but not life threatening.

Oh, and essentially everyone is a bad driver so even if it takes you awhile to adjust you'll just fit right in.

ChasingTheSun
October 4th, 2012, 21:46
When you first started driving in Japan, did you have someone to help you learn to adapt, or did you just have to practice on your own? While I am nervous about adjusting properly and safely, I am a little excited that the cars will all finally be the right size for me (being a good deal shorter than the average American/westerner).

Page
October 4th, 2012, 22:52
There's much else to do except to do it! And not over think it. I think everyone gets used to it fairly quickly.

Samurai_Steve
October 5th, 2012, 04:03
There's much else to do except to do it! And not over think it. I think everyone gets used to it fairly quickly.

I am a bit concerned myself, just because after so many years of doing the opposite, you wonder if your brain will ever really change. I fear that I'll just swerve into oncoming traffic and think I'm fine just cuz that's the way I've been driving forever. But alas, it does sound like an adventure to drive on the right side of the road. :D

Teishou
October 5th, 2012, 08:08
Driving on the left is the same as on the right. Hardly any difference.

Page
October 5th, 2012, 10:24
My derpy English aside, I think the scarier part is when you go back home. I panicked and drove on the wrong side so many times when I went back to the US for a visit yet I've never done that once here. Don't sweat it!

ChasingTheSun
October 5th, 2012, 10:25
I just know how freaked out I got riding in the front of a bus in Scotland. It took a week or so before I realized that the cars were not about to collide with me.

sloth
October 5th, 2012, 16:52
When you first started driving in Japan, did you have someone to help you learn to adapt, or did you just have to practice on your own? While I am nervous about adjusting properly and safely, I am a little excited that the cars will all finally be the right size for me (being a good deal shorter than the average American/westerner).

Nope. I rode around with my friends, but didn't drive. Essentially I got taken to get my car, got in and drove home. It wasn't nearly as terrifying as you think. The only thing that I have issues with occasionally is parking lots, for some reason I always find myself wanting to drive to the other side.

Hexi
October 5th, 2012, 22:45
Hooray for coming from the UK!
on a serious note though. I don't drive. like at all. i am lucky enough to live in a town where there are buses everywhere.
the problem is that even if i did start to drive, i wouldn't be able to apply for an international driving license because i will need to have been driving for like 3 to 5 years first.
Im going to get veeerrry friendly with my bike. :/

if i get accepted

pekkles
October 6th, 2012, 16:32
The possibility of driving is prematurely freaking me out too. I'm a relatively good driver, except I'm terrified of all cars, especially if it's one that I'm driving. An isolated village in Japan is as good a place as anywhere else to fix that :D

wicket
October 6th, 2012, 19:00
I lived three years, in the mid-90s, in bumfuck inaka in Toyama prefecture, without a car [or the internet!] It's fine. People help you out, you get to know what's available locally, you learn to catch buses and trains and how to ride bicycles in the snow. Mind you, as I said, no internet, so no comparing my situation to people who were driving around or going into Osaka every weekend.
Obviously, second time around in the mid 2000s, living in Osaka, I didn't bother with a car. And I had a fantastic time with lots of partying etc.
However I still think being in Toyama felt more like 'being in Japan', if that makes any sense. Everything was SO different to what I was used to.

As to driving on the 'wrong' side, I drove almost the whole of Route 66 in the States, on what is the wrong side for me, and apart from constantly banging my elbow on the door when I went for the gearstick with the wrong hand, it was fine. I think it's just like how the brain figures out what's really going on when we look in a mirror.

Samurai_Steve
October 7th, 2012, 06:55
Sweet. Thank goodness for automatically adjusting brains.

As for placements, I have been going back and forth, but I think this is what I've come up with.

I like suburban/ urban, but would not mind rural. Gonna request suburban.

I like beaches. But I also live in the PacNW, so I am /somewhat/ used to the cold.

I've looked into sister-city/state relationships. And I think I've decided:

1. Shizuoka, 2. Ishikawa, 3. Miyagi.

I am also going to request SHS, so, as I understand it, these tend to be prefectural JETs, right? Would it be better to pick a city in one of my placements, or is it okay to just have 3 prefectures?

Gizmotech
October 7th, 2012, 07:18
If you put miyagi down there's a very good chance that's where you will go. That was the prefecture that was hit hardest by the 2011 EQ+Tsunami.

Samurai_Steve
October 7th, 2012, 08:01
If you put miyagi down there's a very good chance that's where you will go. That was the prefecture that was hit hardest by the 2011 EQ+Tsunami.

And I am totally okay with being placed there. I have heard that it's a pretty cool prefecture from current JETs. And to boot, it would be neat to see how the continued rebuilding efforts are going. For me, either one of the three would be awesome to get into. 1, 2, and 3 are really just numerical obligations...

wicket
October 7th, 2012, 10:02
They're all great. I was an exchange student in Kanazawa city in Ishikawa prefecture in the mid-80s and have travelled back there many times to see my host family. Ishikawa-ken is gorgeous. Though there are some parts such as Noto-hanto that are fairly inaccessible, it's pretty easy to get to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo if you're craving a bigger city.

Samurai_Steve
October 7th, 2012, 11:15
They're all great. I was an exchange student in Kanazawa city in Ishikawa prefecture in the mid-80s and have travelled back there many times to see my host family. Ishikawa-ken is gorgeous. Though there are some parts such as Noto-hanto that are fairly inaccessible, it's pretty easy to get to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo if you're craving a bigger city.

Awesome! I'll have to check out Kanazawa-shi for sure. Noto-hanto is something that I specifically want to explore more of. It's like Japan's sixth finger. It intrigues me...

And it definitely makes me all stoked-like to know I can get to some major metropolis' without too much hassle.

Samurai_Steve
October 7th, 2012, 11:16
Ishikawa is the bomb. And there's also a decent chance you would have your request honored to go because not many people know to request it.

That's freaking awesome! So what you're saying is 2 of my 3 requests have a decent shot of happening? This makes my cheeks hurt. :D

tatsuko
October 7th, 2012, 11:25
I hate placement requests. I want everywhere except Tokyo and anything south of that.... I want to try random bumfuck inaka and cities and any part of the country.... I think I am going to try putting Kyoto because of the sister city relation with Kyoto, since I love the mix of history and modernity. I assume I won't get this, but it doesn't hurt to say what you want... And I want Hokkaido for the snow and loveliness and to see how similar and different it is to my area. Sister region/state relationship with MA helps...

Worst part? I sort of just want to request nothing and just see where life takes me. How am I supposed to know what I really want without being there?

Gizmotech
October 7th, 2012, 11:28
I'm just saying.... if you ask for miyagi, that's probably where you will end up. They have a bit of a problem with flyjin'ing and mental health issues. My friend didn't even make it all of last year.