PDA

View Full Version : Kanagawa Prefecture

JenrYOKO
May 21st, 2004, 11:51
I know you haven't gotten your letters yet, but soon Kanagawa people will be finding out the good news! In the meantime, those of you who requested Kanagawa (Yokohama and Kawasaki are part of Kanagawa-ken), check out our AJET's website:

http://www.geocities.com/onlineorigami/index.html

It's under construction now because it's changing over from an old site, but the only things left to fix are the differences in format. All the articles should be available!

I'm hoping to add more links about life in Kanagawa later, so if you have suggestions, please e-mail the address listed on the site!

(And post here when you get your letters!)

maffew
May 26th, 2004, 11:12
i found out tonight that i'm going to Kanagawa :)

thank you for all your posts (here and on BD).. you've made me even more enthusiastic about the area (and i've been there once). talk to you later!

any other new Kanagawa JETs?

sezlinc
May 26th, 2004, 15:10
Sarah & and I have been placed in Kanagawa which is exciting given it is our first preference.

We haven't heard from the contracting org or our predecesor yet but are hoping like everyone for more info soon.

I had a look on the AJET site last night and it was hard to tell anyhting about the JET Programme in Kanagawa from it. BLock 4 which is our area is the only area not to have a rep on the national body of Jets - according to the website anyway.

Some other prefecture's Jets have great sites that show what they are up to. Lets hope that our predecesors are having to much fun to spend any time building websites!

Lincoln

JenrYOKO
May 27th, 2004, 12:38
Congratulations!!! As I just posted on BD... yesterday it became official that I'll be the Prefectural Advisor starting in the summer. Your predecessor's information is coming as soon as possible (the current PA is on it, I swear!) but if you have urgent questions/concerns, please feel free to e-mail me at jenrruhls at yahoo dot com and I'll see what I can do!

And, you should be excited - Kanagawa is an awesome place to live and work!

sezlinc - I am in charge of the AJET website and was wondering what other info you'd like to see??? We're really trying to make it a good site! I've just taken it over so it's a work-in-progress (you should have seen it a few weeks ago...)

sezlinc
May 27th, 2004, 15:14
JenrYOKO,

Thanks for your reply. It was really late when i looked at it the other night but generally i thought the AJET site was good. It had the basic info i was seeking. It appears that in some prefectures the JETS are either very close through friendships or that there is a lot of activity that they are encouraged to participate in.

From your post can i take it that you are currently a JET in Kanagawa Prefecture?

My wife, Sarah, and I are really looking forward to getting back to Japan. My borther lives in Gotunda so Kanagawa is a great placement for us. We are just waiting now to find out exactly where we will be going, and obviously are interested to learn what has been organised, if anything, for our accommodation. Any answers you can provide will be appreciated.

thanks,

Lincoln

JenrYOKO
May 28th, 2004, 12:36
Hi again! I think the JETs in Kanagawa are really close, especially those who participated in Tokyo Orientation together. I'm happy to know that another married couple is coming! I'm also a married JET (my husband isn't a JET) and I think all the married people are leaving this year (except me of course)!!

Anyway... accommodation. In Kanagawa, I don't think anyone lives in a dormitory or "gaijin guesthouse" as they do in other prefectures. I think everyone has their own private apartment. In general, you will "inherit" the apartment of your predecessor. In sezlinc's case, you will both be replacing someone, so either you or your base schools will decide which apartment to take (I imagine, anyway). Usually, your base school has some sort of pre-existing relationship with a real estate agent or landlord, and that is how accommodation is arranged. The Kangawa BOE has nothing to do with your accommodation, so you'll have to get specific answers about it directly from your predecessor or supervisor! Also... I don't think anyone in Kanagawa has a bad apartment, so don't worry too much about it! Sezlinc - you and your wife will just have to make sure the apartment is within a reasonable commuting distance for both of you before you "hanko" any lease agreements.

JenrYOKO
June 3rd, 2004, 10:17
I'll copy and paste what I posted on BigDaikon:
I wanted to tell you about the Kanagawa yahoogroup. I wasn't planning to activate it until August, but some of the incoming people have discovered it lurking on the internet, so I may as well open it up now! You can join up here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kanagawajets/

Keep in mind, current JETs aren't on there yet. I JUST sent a message to them saying they can join if they like. I will sign everyone up in August.

The reason we don't have a group already is that some of the former JETs were against it, and our old group died very quickly. I'm not sure why they were against it, but when you incoming JETs arrive, we're going to give it another shot!

JenrYOKO
June 25th, 2004, 18:02
New Kanagawans - get your predecessor info today???

Avi
June 28th, 2004, 12:24
I just wanted to drop by and say hello. I have been placed in Kanagawa but do not yet know where. I am from California and I am praying that there will be a decent gym and basketball court somewhere?

JenrYOKO
June 28th, 2004, 17:29
Avi! Another future Kanagawan!

For you and any other new arrivals on ITIL, I'm the Prefectural Advisor for Kanagawa for the upcoming year (along with another JET who is one of the incoming people). If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to e-mail me at jenrruhls at yahoo dot com. I will try my hardest to answer your questions!

About your predecessor though - the BOE is keeping it a secret, so I won't know where you are until you or your predecessor tells me :-) You should be getting contact from your predecessor and/or your supervisor in the next day (really I expected everyone to have heard by now, but 3 ALTs left early so maybe those schools are slower??)

Avi
June 29th, 2004, 13:57
Thanks for the info, I promise to bombard you with questions at some point. :twisted: